Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 414 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12391 of 12619 Old 06-02-2014, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The contrast on my ws-65313 keeps jumping up to 63 and brightness drops back to 31. 25 contrast and 47 brightness are my usual settings but they keep jumping back to default #'s. Its the kids TV so I don't pay as much attention to it as my 813 which doesn't have these issues even with power outages. I've set it through the menu and by the video button on the remote still eventually resets back to default. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12392 of 12619 Old 06-02-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Bob will know.

But out of curiosity, where do you set your Contrast and Brightness on your 65813?
post #12393 of 12619 Old 06-02-2014, 07:12 PM

Same 25 contrast 47 brightness and color temp on cool. It looks better on my 813 I just figure its cuz it was professionally calibrated before I bought it. My 313 is still as stock as the day they unloaded it of the truck. One of these days I'll be able to have the 813 redone but probably wont be for awhile
post #12394 of 12619 Old 06-02-2014, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
I run very similar settings tho mine are usually 21 contr and 44 br, plus or minus 4 clicks in either direction depending on content. But remember that I had to play with my screen settings quite heavily when I could not get a good black level floor any of the normal ways when my set was new. My screen still shows some blue in the blacks for the first 10 minutes even tho once warmed up it dials in a perfect .313/.329 on color analyzer. Which was a requirement for my ISF level 2 certification.

Can't say I know why right off the bat, but in times before on other sets there has been a small battery - or sometimes a low voltage but huge capacity cap - which keeps the memory afloat for when it is turned off and unplugged. Completely powered down from the outside, but memory still supported and powered up on the inside.

I have not seen one of these passive supply modalities for a long time on the boards inside, so I figured everything was done with eeproms these days.

It could be that coolant has dripped onto one of your boards though I think that model has a built in drip pan. Would have to do a look see to know for sure.

That would be the first thing I would check, with the set totally unplugged and bounce the light off the boards back into your eyes. Do you see the gleam of coolant on any of the boards?

B

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #12395 of 12619 Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 PM

No, I haven't had that TV open in a long time just the optical cavity for cleaning about 6-8 months ago. Its probably been 2yrs since I cleaned out the armies of dust bunnies off the boards maybe longer now that I'm thinking about it.
Everything looked good and dry at the time. I'll have to open it up when I get a chance. Its just random could be 3+ months from now or tomorrow morning and the settings will shift I'll just keep checking every couple days. Everything else looks and acts perfectly you wouldn't know anything is wrong except once in awhile the pic is crazy bright.

Thanks Bob
post #12396 of 12619 Old 06-02-2014, 11:33 PM

i remember reading about your adventures when you got your 73" all the things you were trying because you couldn't get it just quite perfect. I'm still reading through the thread about a quarter of the way through around post #4200 or so..lots of good stories and helpful info can be found throughout.

Thanks for starting the thread and the helpful and insightful information from you and numerous other over the years.
post #12397 of 12619 Old 06-03-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes this was a totally different design from before, one which I had never encountered before, where some of the standard practices simply did not apply. Like trying to get excellent black level floor at normal midpoints, in service menu and user menu. It took a lot of trial and error to get it finally responding and tracking correctly, and I had to give up clinging to the old, tried and true ways.

Same with the PerfectColor. They phased out realigning the color decoding via simple industry standard processes years ago at Mit, preferring to make it a lot harder for us videophiles to go in and get rid of their insistent, built-in red push. But it's still there in the User section called PerfectColor.

IF you know how to do it!

I found the labels on what each User register was supposed to do meant next to nothing in practice if you wanted to get rid of the red push. I had to physically draw out blocks on a piece of paper to describe the color blocks I was sending in from my Accupel HD pattern generator, spelling out which colors would be affected by which User registers etc. Result was much more realistic and lifelike color and the eradication of Mit's inherent red push, creating massive, hypnotic suspension of disbelief from having everything looking so frigging real!

But it took forever! Sometimes results are just like that. When I do such a thing while still learning, if it takes more time than usual on the owner's set I don't charge extra because that's my personal learning curve, and after mastering it the actual process will then take incredibly less time in the future.

Thanks for the recognition, it really makes me feel good when I get some feedback on this thread as to what it's meant to people out there, owners of the great (and not so "late" after all, huh!) incredible medium CRT. It has been a labor of love, but what results! More than a million views! And hopefully huge numbers of these sets still out there to keep alive for the next 10 years.

Someone asked me recently how many I thought were still out there. I don't know. But you out there can help me find out. Just chime in here on this thread, declare yourself an owner, and we'll all know. Just a quick one liner would be all you'd need to send in. You would not have to ID yourself aside from your handle, just make yourself known to us fellow CRT owners.

I hope we got together on that optics cleaning, there are landmines you don't want to trigger by doing it the wrong way, as damage that can occur is instant and irrevocable. You only get 1 shot per cleaning to do it without damage, and I heartily encourage all of you to have me by your side on the phone when you do it.

Happy viewing!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12398 of 12619 Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbough View Post

No, I haven't had that TV open in a long time just the optical cavity for cleaning about 6-8 months ago. Its probably been 2yrs since I cleaned out the armies of dust bunnies off the boards maybe longer now that I'm thinking about it.
Everything looked good and dry at the time. I'll have to open it up when I get a chance. Its just random could be 3+ months from now or tomorrow morning and the settings will shift I'll just keep checking every couple days. Everything else looks and acts perfectly you wouldn't know anything is wrong except once in awhile the pic is crazy bright.

Thanks Bob

I found that every time I came out of service mode on my set, the Contrast SAID 21, which is where I had set it previous to going in, but was max'd out! One click up or down on the Contrast bargraph and it immediately reverted to exactly where I had left it. But that's some glitch in there that was not mentioned anywhere before I discovered it.

There's also the Black Enhancement glitch. Every time I would come out of the service menu that would cause this, that BE would be ON - not turned on but be on - even tho it was set to OFF. Not many scenes would show it, but I found one where a panel of people were talking and someone walked behind them. The camera would be fixed on one person. As that additional person would appear and disappear behind the person currently on camera, walking from one side of the stage to the other, the brightness of the blacks would change briefly in tune with that appearance and disappearance of the extra person. That's the Black Enhancement in action. When I would toggle it on and off after having been in the service mode that glitch would disappear, and it would again obey its stated command. Which in my case is OFF, because I find that sort of thing incredibly distracting and it yanks me out of my suspension of disbelief.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12399 of 12619 Old 06-05-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'll chime in with mine, a Philips 60" rear-projection, model # 60PW9363/17F.  Previous owner had abandoned it when "the blue tube went out", which was really just buildup in the coupling fluid.  Easy days.  Still needs a bottom-up realign, but I can't worry about that until after I move across the USA ;)

post #12400 of 12619 Old 06-05-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool. Thanks!

Keep 'em coming...

smile.gif

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12401 of 12619 Old 06-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Panasonic PT53WX53G. Remote issues did fix themselves for a while and I was able to get my convergence aligned. I'll keep this one as long as possible for real blacks. Could definitely use a cleaning. When I can afford it I'll have you here at my house tweaking my set out to experience CRT bliss Bob...

post #12402 of 12619 Old 06-06-2014, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Till then I am ready to coach you over the phone about it, if you really want those true blacks.

If you want the true rendition your set is capable of, why wait till you can afford it? There is no better standard gun size CRT RPTV than Panasonic. Not even Pioneer Elite. If it's going to happen anyway, borrow the money and get it done now. If you can afford it 2 years from now and don't do it till then, you will have spent the same amount of money as if you were to do it now. But wasted 2 years of good viewing - scintillating, hypnotic viewing that gathers you in and spirits you away - in the process.

People -

No projection system - CRT, DLP, D-ILA, SXRD, LCOS, any type of ceiling projector - can perform at its best with dirty optics, which are inherent in the projection genre. Whatever projection modality you have, the internal optics eventually need a good cleaning to remain fully transparent and capable of yielding exquisite shadow detail. Normally affordable (not out-in-the-ether-expensive) displays use plastic lenses which are very soft and vulnerable and easily scratched - or scuffed, which is simply thousands of tiny (but also permanent) scratches. Any misstep resulting in this kind of scratching of plastic surfaces is instant and permanent damage. Please don't try cleaning them on your own.

In CRT RPTV format there are 28 optical surfaces in there that need to stay crystal clear. (34 total if you count the ones that can be made dirty in the coolant chamber by infected coolant, which luckily happens very rarely anymore, but in the past Sony and Philips have been some of the most prime offenders.)

In CRT format 10 of those 28 optical surfaces get miserably dirty in there by airborne contaminants in the Pioneer line and others, and 4 in the Mitsubishi line. It only takes 1 of them being dirty internally, to compromise your picture. Crystal clear means what it says: crystal clear. Nothing less will do.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12403 of 12619 Old 06-06-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Everything about this ad is so very wrong... this is not how a Pioneer Elite should end life... being referred to as a non-working Magnavox! The indignity... But, the reflection in the screen says it all I guess. I bet they don't even know this TV does HD... sigh.

They have no idea what they are throwing away. Looks like another PS resolder.

Ken...you still out there? Parts for you in Manassas! :-)

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/zip/4483784330.html

Joe
post #12404 of 12619 Old 06-08-2014, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that's actually the largest size, the 710 series. You can tell by the relative size of the wall socket and the phone and modem next to it.

What's worse is that I could find no way to notify him of what he has. Connecting links don't seem to work properly.

Guess it will go quietly, without any of the proper attention...

frown.gif

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12405 of 12619 Old 06-09-2014, 12:35 AM

I finally just watched Avatar on blu-ray on my 813...Holy ____ Batman! My tv even though that movie is mostly CGI had me so immersed I'm watching blue people running through trees and believing it every second. I love this TV may she never die.
post #12406 of 12619 Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

cool.gif

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12407 of 12619 Old 06-10-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgruessing68 View Post

Everything about this ad is so very wrong... this is not how a Pioneer Elite should end life... being referred to as a non-working Magnavox! The indignity... But, the reflection in the screen says it all I guess. I bet they don't even know this TV does HD... sigh.

They have no idea what they are throwing away. Looks like another PS resolder.

Ken...you still out there? Parts for you in Manassas! :-)

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/zip/4483784330.html

Joe

Yea I'm still here. I just don't have the time right now to play with this set. Maybe the next one.

Thanks
Ken T
post #12408 of 12619 Old 06-10-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr View Post

Panasonic PT53WX53G. Remote issues did fix themselves for a while and I was able to get my convergence aligned.

The Panny remotes have lights that are much more sensitive than the circuitry in the remote itself. Therefore when you punch a button the lights that normally light up will still light up even though the remote is no longer working properly. Quite unnerving and frustrating, as we trust those lights on the remotes as indicators. I took delivery on a brand new remote before I learned this.

Batteries are weak even though they appear strong. New batteries cures this.

B

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12409 of 12619 Old 06-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Hi All - I reached out to Mr. Bob earlier today to see if he could help me out, and he suggested I post here...

This may only interest users in the San Antonio/Austin area - I've got a Toshiba 57H84 (Bob did a cleaning on it a few years back) that now has too many wavy vertical lines to make it watchable. I've replaced the set, and now need to give this away. I certainly don't want to put it out for bulk trash pickup, and I don't want to saddle a charity with a TV that has to be repaired before selling it, so I'm trying to see if anyone in the area just wants to take it off my hands for parts, or maybe wants to repair it themselves, or whatever. I just need it gone!

If you're interested, please PM me.

Thanks,
robbie (sandman642)
post #12410 of 12619 Old 06-20-2014, 09:13 PM

Mr bob as usual your right. I have a dvdo edge that has both a course 2" and fine 1" cross hatch test patterns. Finally dawned on me maybe I could use it with the SM convergence grid. Looking at the mits convergence grid most everything looked good not perfect but good and tight except the edges. Me and the edges don't really get along very well. Put up the course cross hatch pattern not too bad..put up the fine pattern oh hell..I had convergence errors all over the place. The test pattern grids are much thinner and much dimmer. The horizontal lines are a light gray while the vertical lines are a darker gray.
Now for the dumb question should I use these grids to tighten up my convergence and just ignore the stock grids that overlay on the test patterns? I figure I'd ask because it took all I had not to tweak it last night. I assume this is in the ballpark of what you see when you use signal generators on pro calibrations.
post #12411 of 12619 Old 06-22-2014, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
White Dot Help

Before I trash my set...

I have a Sony kp43ht20 and it has been a wonderful set - until recently

I have two, well organized rows of white dots that sit across the top third of the TV. Dots are very uniform - not at all unorganized and 14 per row. I have searched and searched for similar issues; however, I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem. I have read posts of people with with "white dot issues," but those seem to be issues with the dots randomly organized on screen, nothing like what I have, which is to say my dots sit exactly 2" apart going side-to-side and exactly 1" apart row-to-row.

Appreciate any suggestions or advice.
post #12412 of 12619 Old 06-22-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is the end for my ws65859

It's a WS65869 Mitsubishi 65 inch HD CRT RPTV.
It's been in the garage with the cabinet separated since it got replaced with a black Friday $1000 70" Visio. I was trying to lift the top half with an engine hoist and it got away from me, fell and broke the mirror.
Does anyone in NW Indiana want it free?
There is a complete spare light box. That's the complete electronics & tube,lens assembly.
The spare light box had a less than spectacular picture but I don't think there was anything wrong with it. Maybe some tube wear or adjustment. It was not in use long before the new tv came.
The original light box has the blinking light of death but will always start if left unplugged for a day or 2. The picture was good on 1080i but there was a problem processing 480i.
So, it's a project and now needs a mirror. Anybody want it free?

Last edited by johnd393; 06-22-2014 at 06:23 PM.
post #12413 of 12619 Old 06-22-2014, 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=johnd393;25175986]It's been in the garage with the cabinet separated since it got replaced with a black Friday $1000 70" Visio. I was trying to lift the top half with an engine hoist and it got away from me, fell and broke the mirror.
Does anyone in NW Indiana want it free?
There is a complete spare light box. That's the complete electronics & tube,lens assembly.
The spare light box had a less than spectacular picture but I don't think there was anything wrong with it. Maybe some tube wear or adjustment.
It was not in use long before the new tv came.
The original light box has the blinking light of death but will always start if left unplugged for a day or 2. The picture was good on 1080i but there was a problem processing 480i.
So, it's a project and now needs a mirror. Anybody want it free?[Quote]

You didn't identify the TV that was broken just how you broke it. Identification of the TV is needed so anyone that wants or needs the parts can contact you.
post #12414 of 12619 Old 06-23-2014, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbough View Post
You didn't identify the TV that was broken just how you broke it. Identification of the TV is needed so anyone that wants or needs the parts can contact you.
What part of him clearly stating that it is a WS65869 Mitsubishi 65 inch HD CRT RPTV, did you fail to see?
post #12415 of 12619 Old 06-23-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post
What part of him clearly stating that it is a WS65869 Mitsubishi 65 inch HD CRT RPTV, did you fail to see?

It was added after my post. You can see it on my quote. No worries its been identified.
post #12416 of 12619 Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
It's a WS65869 Mitsubishi 65 inch HD CRT RPTV.
Thanks for the info..hopefully someone can use the parts and get them out of your way.
post #12417 of 12619 Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbough View Post
It was added after my post. You can see it on my quote. No worries its been identified.
Yes I edited it, but it was always there in the message title. Apparantly some don't see the title. I see it on my screen. After reading your post and looking at it I saw the error in the title line model number. The edit screen won't let me edit the title.

The top right corner of the mirror is broke off in a triangle about 1 ft on 2 sides. The rest of the mirror appears intact.
post #12418 of 12619 Old 06-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Just chiming in on what I have. 13 year old Pioneer Elite 620-HD 58" unit with less than 4000 hours (more like 3500 if even that). Deep optics clean last year with coaching by Mr. Bob himself over the phone (he sure is patient and helpful worth the consultation fee). I've used that TV maybe five times since the deep optics clean. Have a DVDO VP 30 on it for overscan reduction and Gamma correction and my Picture is just as good as my six month old LED HDTV. Sure I wish it was smaller but with so little use and how outstanding it looks I'll own this till 4K or OLED becomes affordable.
post #12419 of 12619 Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Yes I edited it, but it was always there in the message title. Apparantly some don't see the title. I see it on my screen. After reading your post and looking at it I saw the error in the title line model number. The edit screen won't let me edit the title.
That must be it..I just can't see the title. The quote contains all the available info to me. I apologize for any misunderstanding
post #12420 of 12619 Old 06-24-2014, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeese View Post
Before I trash my set...

I have a Sony kp43ht20 and it has been a wonderful set - until recently

I have two, well organized rows of white dots that sit across the top third of the TV. Dots are very uniform - not at all unorganized and 14 per row. I have searched and searched for similar issues; however, I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem. I have read posts of people with with "white dot issues," but those seem to be issues with the dots randomly organized on screen, nothing like what I have, which is to say my dots sit exactly 2" apart going side-to-side and exactly 1" apart row-to-row.

Appreciate any suggestions or advice.
Anyone?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P65v10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page