post #12481 of 12492 Old 07-10-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 59
bgeese:

Did read my PM to you on Tuesday where I said:

"This morning I ran across more material of people with CRT-based televisions who have experienced the exact same kind of dotted lines. In most cases these lines come from interference of some sort, which might even include faulty cabling to your TV. From my own experience I know that audiovisual cables do wear out after time.

I would start by having someone move the cabling around while you're watching to set, as sometimes this shows that the cabling is sensitive."

As I've stated previously on the forum, I reached the conclusion that the dotted lines were not your TV, but had to do with signal coming into your inputs.

Last edited by taichi4; 07-10-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12482 of 12492 Old 07-10-2014, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw40f80 View Post
Bob email me next time you are near Tampa, Fl. I have 2 - 65813. One was calibrated by Craig Rounds but the other I fixed myself (blinking green light) and needs to be calibrated. I am sorry I missed you in May but I have been away from this site for a few months.

On an aside I would never part with my mits.
We are on the same page there, old buddy! Me neither.

Did Craig install his anti-ringing mod for you? I don't know if it improved my set or not, as Mit threw me a curve.

In the 65813 model year, for which the mod was created, all 3 of the caps involved were the same value. The object of the mod was to install trimmer caps to replace the fixed caps and each color fine tuned on that amount of capacitance in that particular part of the circuit.

On my set I did the mod before I saw the values of the caps, which were all 3 DIFFERENT! So Mit had already done some research - hopefully because of reading Craig's white paper on the subject (which incidentally he had asked me to proofread and edit for him).

If it turned out that the mod would not have been needed on my set because Mit had been there first, then nothing was really improved and my set was as crisp out of the box as it is now. If Mit changed the values to values that were not aligned with Craig's directives on handling that IC, then there was a definite improvement. I would not know without removing each trimmer and comparing the amount of capacitance on it - using a cap checker - to the values of the fixed caps in the service manual. Which is too much work to consider these days. It's as crisp as it gets, I know that. You might want to check and see if yours is.

To answer your question, I went to FLA because I had one free flight with Southwest that had not been used, on the old program which flew you anywhere in the continental states that SW flies. On the way I had a chance to trim up Dave Prazak's set in PHX on that 3 hour layover. Did one other cal in Davie, but with a very limited budget. That was all. Would have loved to do your set.

But now I have no reason to be there except for calibrations. Will be glad to work it out with you and perhaps a few fellow afficianados in your area. Will keep your request in the hopper in case other reasons to go there crop up of course, but the only way to get me there for sure is to fly me in.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Last edited by Mr Bob; 07-10-2014 at 10:54 PM.
post #12483 of 12492 Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

So you're saying, then Bob, that the anti ringing mod may have been done by Mits after the model year that the 65813 came out?
post #12484 of 12492 Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, it's a distinct possibility. The end product of that mod anyway. Otherwise they would have simply left the values of the 3 caps alone, all identical but none optimized for its own particular circuit, like they did out of the starting gate on the 65813.

Which is how Craig found it on the 65813, all 3 identical. In my set's model year, 2 years later/the last year ever for Mit CRT/the 73517, each cap/each color had its own separate and distinct value.

Luckily he evidently knew the characteristics of the IC each of those caps goes to (same IC on all 3), and that it had the capacity for that particular cap involved in it to be altered for improved performance. He evidently got out his trusty o'scope and started fiddling around and came up with his mod for that circuit.

The circuit itself - in the drive phase of the CRT socket boards - is the same on all 3 colors, same IC is used on all 3 of the boards, same circuitry for all 3 except for the value of that one cap. But each color's image has different needs in that application, and that cap value controls and alters the characteristics of that IC, thereby altering the amount of edge enhancement that gets to its own particular gun.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; Yesterday at 02:13 PM.
post #12485 of 12492 Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the 65813 pass Dolby surround through its outputs?

If it does, does it use the peculiar digital audio out, and can it be converted to optical?

Thanks

Last edited by taichi4; Yesterday at 03:17 PM.
post #12486 of 12492 Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No idea. See if it has digital outputs, like fibre optic or coaxial.

Seems like only the HD tuner would output anything, tho, as I believe this was before HDMI.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; Yesterday at 04:55 PM.
post #12487 of 12492 Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

Seems like only the HD tuner would output anything, tho, as I believe this was before HDMI.

b
Your link didn't work. It wants me to post. Heh.
post #12488 of 12492 Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So THAT'S what the writing being in blue means. Had no idea, it just came out that way this time. You'd think after 9000 posts this kind of thing woulda happened before!

Corrected. Thanks -

b
phildaant likes this.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12489 of 12492 Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mr.Bob (or anyone else) what model blu-ray player do you have that allows 1080i over component with no HDCP issues? I have a Sony s380 and it has component out it was the main reason I traded a new blu-ray player for it with a friend but its locked at only 480p. I run everything through my edge via HDMI to reduce overscan to 0% and be able to hookup any new HDMI only tech to my 813. I'm interested in seeing how good blu-ray looks over component compared to HDMI if its a big enough difference I'll deal with the the 8-9% overscan. I can always reduce it later if needed
post #12490 of 12492 Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The Sony S300 and S350 will output component at 1080i also if you can find an older Sony PS3 (the fat kind) I still use mine on my Pioneer Elite 620 and it does 1080i beautifully.
post #12491 of 12492 Old Today, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

b
Whoa. Looks like my retro 65813 is more capable with respect to decoding and passing surround sound than many, if not most, modern displays. The following is from the Mitsubishi WS65813 Menu.
© 2003 Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc. Written and Printed in the U.S.A 871D370B10

" Digital Audio Output
This output provides Dolby Digital audio,received in the signal from the ANT-DTV input and IEEE-1394 devices. This output is intended to be connected to an external
audio receiver that is capable of decoding the digital stream and converting it to analog signals suitable for driving loudspeakers.

This output does not send a signal while analog devices connected to other inputs are being used, when MP3 or WMA cards are being played, or when MPEG audio "

" 2 Digital Audio Signals
The TV is able to decode Dolby Digital signals and MPEG Audio signals. “Other” types of digital audio as provided by some digital recording devices,such as MP3 Audio and DTS Audio, cannot be decoded by the TV when received over IEEE 1394.

The TV may not be able to pass incompatible digital audio signals on the coaxial digital audio output, however these signals may pass on the IEEE 1394 cable to other devices. "

The 65813 has a coaxial digital audio output, for which, I understand, there are converters to optical.
post #12492 of 12492 Old Today, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbough View Post
Mr.Bob (or anyone else) what model blu-ray player do you have that allows 1080i over component with no HDCP issues? I have a Sony s380 and it has component out it was the main reason I traded a new blu-ray player for it with a friend but its locked at only 480p. I run everything through my edge via HDMI to reduce overscan to 0% and be able to hookup any new HDMI only tech to my 813. I'm interested in seeing how good blu-ray looks over component compared to HDMI if its a big enough difference I'll deal with the the 8-9% overscan. I can always reduce it later if needed
I have 2 Sony's and am keeping one of them. The one I am keeping is the BDP-S570. That leaves the other one available, if you want it. It's the BDP-BX37. Contact me directly. Does dynamite internet streaming of its own internal offerings - like Netflix and Hulu and many others - in 1080i. This you cannot get with Roku or Apple TV, which output in 1080p but not 1080i, making them useless to our sets without expensive downscaling capacity, from 1080p to 1080i.

The HD Fury 4 can do that downscaling, and I will need to sell one soon, as I need to order 2 at a time to get my dealer cost on them and it looks like I might have an interested party as we speak for the first one. Otherwise you have to go with an expensive scaler and hope its output does not get stomped back down to 480p by HDCP and have to get a Fury anyway. The Fury 4 takes care of all of that, it converts any scanrate to any other scanrate while still passing the full and complete signal out of component without any HDCP intervention, just like the Fury II and III series always have. And the Fury I before that, in RGBHV only, for the big ceiling CRT projectors, like Runco, Ampro, Electrohome, Barco... The early Fury's had to power up those big boys, whose picture has always been way bigger than ours, and as such way more demanding.

With the Sony I am selling, you don't have to worry about that 1080p limitation on any of the Sony's internal net offerings, which may not be as many as Roku or Apple TV, but are in 1080i and as such ready to go for our CRT sets.

Both of my Sony BD players are 3D capable and internet ready, and I don't know if they do wi-fi, you'd have to check on that yourself. I can however confirm that they do a perfect 1080i on component with blurays and net streaming of their own selections. No limitations down to 480p. That's why I am definitely keeping one of them. Have been using the one that's available for about a year, no problems at all. Very light usage, as I usually watch Dish and rarely do movies. When I do, the bluray content out of both the BX37 and the S570 is truly amazing.

I too bought a BDP I thought would do 1080i over component and got the same results as you. It is an LG, a very nice unit, with a very reasonable price tag and component outputs, so I scarfed it up immediately from Best Buy - or actually the owner did, after the calibration we did. Thought I had really nabbed a great deal! Nep. Same 480p limitation, which was also mentioned in the set's owner's manual.

Woulda taken it back, but I was overconfident and didn't know about this limitation and that this unit had it, and it took so long to get over there again to my owner's house and pick up the unit that the return privilege date had passed. Anybody want a dynamite LG BDP? Refurbished, looks and acts like new. I'll sell it to you at cost +10% +shipping if any.

It's a beautiful unit if you want to use it with HDMI only. Streaming and wi-fi both, plus possibly other amenities. And 1080i out of component output, of non-copy guarded content.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; Today at 10:25 AM.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page