Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 420 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12571 of 12592 Old 08-11-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I can still guide you thru getting your screen controls set properly over the phone. It will take a phone consultation, but they are very affordable. Many here have experienced being on the phone with me and swear by them.

Don't give up on your set. It's a fine instrument, with one of the biggest rear projected screens ever made.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12572 of 12592 Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK84 View Post
Since they all have been messed with I doubt much can come from a consultation. I regret messing with it, but it was a moment of panic...
In case you still have doubts, allow me to highly recommend a phone consult with Bob. I actually replaced my blue gun with him on the phone.
Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #12573 of 12592 Old 08-12-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK84 View Post
In regards to the Focus/Screen pots... sadly that ship has sailed. Since they all have been messed with I doubt much can come from a consultation. I regret messing with it, but it was a moment of panic...Wasn't till after messing with it I learned about the convergence chips and how to replace them. I really do feel bad...
You don't abandon a huge instrument like that just because it has gone out of alignment on one of its critical parameters and is fine on everything else. You realign it and proceed to use it again for its original purposes. Or proceed to REALLY trick it out, which I also guided Michael to, on this thread and others. And Superleo, and dozens of other proud owners.

I didn't say your set was history if you had played with the other controls. I said it would not be as simple as the op woulda been if you had not played with all of them. But all can be realigned, and yes I can do that with you on the phone. I can guaranty you that your set will be looking better than before because of this, even if you do nothing else.

Buck up, pay the stupidly cheap phone consultation fee (ask Michael) and keep your set!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 08-12-2014 at 12:31 PM.
post #12574 of 12592 Old 08-12-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the kind words. Well don't worry I don't plan to throw it out on the curb, I only said the 2000-2013 for showing its had no problems. Its actually been sitting since December.

Alright, we'll try a consultation out, though I probably shouldn't do anything till that 100 hour period I would think. I've left the tv on since yesterday evening. Its been playing through a channel on cable. I think what happened with the iris is the contrast. I noticed when I turned the contrast all the way down the weird text issue went away. I at first thought it might have been the GammaX so I took it off, but nope, must have been when the focus/screen pot was messed with. So far the TV has been doing well, no screen anomalies or issues. Well I take that back, I noticed a few times when I turned it off earlier that the screen got weird just before it turned off. But that could be the convergence chips settling in. The other issue I noticed with squirmy lines was only in SD mode, when I had it in HD mode the convergence screen was fine. The HD source was a blu-ray player, and the SD had no source (ie snow), so that might have had something to do with it.
post #12575 of 12592 Old 08-13-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Well, I persisted a little further, and finally got the same, original model cable box that I originally had. I'm back to the original, sharp picture which I'd been enjoying for years.

Interestingly, the technician who came out really admired the color quality of my 65813, observing that it was better than the plasma sets that he'd seen.
post #12576 of 12592 Old 08-15-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What are everyone's thoughts about a Mits 65819 shutting down every couple weeks with a 2-3 error code for horizontal deflection fault? Local tech said likely main board 930B866007 which is no longer available from Mits. I still love the set, but I don't even know if I can get someone to find a part and help fix it at this point.
post #12577 of 12592 Old 08-15-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll bet Bob, thread starter and technician extraordinaire, can help.
post #12578 of 12592 Old 08-15-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm150 View Post
What are everyone's thoughts about a Mits 65819 shutting down every couple weeks with a 2-3 error code for horizontal deflection fault? Local tech said likely main board 930B866007 which is no longer available from Mits. I still love the set, but I don't even know if I can get someone to find a part and help fix it at this point.
The main boards don't usually go out on the Mit's. The protection can be triggered by any number of things that do not include the main board.

What usually happens on an intermittent issue with the Mit's like you are describing, is that the convergence ICs eventually get aged and start to go out. It can begin with intermittent shutdowns, until eventually it stays shut down and simply won't come on again. At that point you have to replace the convergence ICs and that usually does the trick.

Or in your case IC. I believe your model uses the STK 393-110, a single 6 channel IC that does the same work as the two 3 channel ICs usually used.

But in the case of the 393-110, something different happens. The legs start to separate from the IC itself, with the solder becoming so weak that it actually starts letting go of the leg. When I replace these ICs, usually several legs literally fall off when removed, and I have to fish them out of the circuitry they fall into, before turning the set on again. And having that many legs - twice the number of the regular 3 channel ICs - that IC is a real PITA to install. All legs have to be perfectly positioned before they will all fit all holes perfectly, such that you can allow the chip's legs to fall gracefully thru the holes and go down thru the board it's being soldered to, on all legs, so they all will have 1/8" clearance below the board, so there will be enough leg to solder to. It only takes 1 leg out of place to make it so it won't fit and none of the others can go down thru their holes. All legs will not go down if even one of them is out of place and not hitting its hole correctly.

You can usually test a Mit for this issue by disconnecting its convergence yokes - not to be confused with the sweep yokes, where if you disco them the unit drills a hole in the phosphors of each gun instantly and ruins every one of them, so don't even get close to that possibility if you are not an experienced electronics repair technician - and seeing it if comes out of protection. Can't do that on a Pioneer and most others because those yoke plugs also contain a series connection for the vertical sweep, which if interrupted by being disco'd will shut the set down as well. But on a Mit it's OK, because their conv yokes don't contain that 5th wire, only the 2 wires each for the horizontal and vertical aspects of the circuit, or 4 wires per yoke plug.

No telling if this is what's afoot on your set without the proper troubleshooting on it, but that is what it sounds like over here, as those sets were not problematical at all, and if it were actually the main board at fault, it would be a very freak event. Not the normal at all.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 08-15-2014 at 02:18 PM.
post #12579 of 12592 Old 08-15-2014, 02:57 PM

I had the typical convergence a few years ago and had the IC or ICs replaced and that fixed that. I wouldn't have figured having a problem with that again in a few years. The picture was perfect then the set just shut down last night. It had previously done so a couple weeks prior after after I saw some "bowing" down from the top corners with slight color line separation visible in those corners. I wish it would just last forever.
post #12580 of 12592 Old 08-15-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

ICs can fail, or be defective, and more prone to early failure, I would think.
post #12581 of 12592 Old 08-16-2014, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had the typical convergence a few years ago and had the IC or ICs replaced and that fixed that. I wouldn't have figured having a problem with that again in a few years. The picture was perfect then the set just shut down last night. It had previously done so a couple weeks prior after after I saw some "bowing" down from the top corners with slight color line separation visible in those corners. I wish it would just last forever.
What you describe sure sounds like convergence stuff to me.

Your convergence paradigm could be set badly such that adjoining sections are working against each other at all times, allowing the pic to look pretty much OK but be being stressed out all the time. I once recal'd a Mit where the entire pictures were 7" out of place to the side. Came that way from the factory! It was causing errors between points that could not be corrected because there was no correction possible between those points. I corrected the bad centering and all that that entailed - including trapezoidal misshapening, curvatures and other anomalies that get inserted into the equation when the centering shifts dramatically - and the bad stuff between points went away, and so did the stress. Never heard from that client again. Being stressed out can definitely bring down even an IC that was replaced just several years ago.

I think your ICs need to be replaced again, and if you call me I can guide you thru seeing if your paradigm is set up properly internally in your set, in the service menu. Mit also has issues with cold solder joints on their convergence ICs that other brands don't have. Sometimes just resoldering their legs is all it takes, if caught early enough.

On that conversation you might find you learned things about your set that you didn't know existed. That you didn't know you didn't know.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 08-16-2014 at 03:09 PM.
post #12582 of 12592 Old 08-16-2014, 01:06 PM

Can the paradigm setting change somehow? I've never messed with any settings since I had it calibrated it many many years ago, not long after I bought it new. I guess I could try the ICs again, but when I had a convergence problem before the picture was noticeably out of convergence and unwatchable. It isn't like that now, but clearly something is wrong. I'm almost tempted to by the last of the plasmas, the Samsung F8500.
post #12583 of 12592 Old 08-16-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm almost tempted to by the last of the plasmas, the Samsung F8500.
You should do that, anyway.

post #12584 of 12592 Old 08-16-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can the paradigm setting change somehow? I've never messed with any settings since I had it calibrated it many many years ago, not long after I bought it new. I guess I could try the ICs again, but when I had a convergence problem before the picture was noticeably out of convergence and unwatchable. It isn't like that now, but clearly something is wrong. I'm almost tempted to by the last of the plasmas, the Samsung F8500.
I just did a correction to my post above stating that that 7" shift was there from day one, out of the box. It had been in that condition all its life, and nobody had known that the picture could actually be better. So yours may have come that way from the factory.

In any event you spoke of corners bowing down temporarily and causing discolorations, which is just the kind of thing that happens when the TBPC - top bottom pincushion - register on one of the colors starts freaking out. Which is operated by your convergence circuit.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 08-16-2014 at 03:16 PM.
post #12585 of 12592 Old 08-18-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Well...I've regrettably come to the end of the road with my beloved Hitachi 65F59. The wife and I are moving temporarily into a small 1 bedroom apartment while a new one is being built. We'll have a great 2 BR unit in the new one...along with a bonus room for my home office and PC setup. But she absolutely will not budge on bringing my beloved RPCRT Beast along this time. We are really downsizing everything now. And in all honesty...I must confess to agreement with her. It is way too big for the 1 BR. And will ugly up the new 2 BR next spring. So here is the plan and compromise. I will buy a 42" LED/LCD to replace the RP. Or retrieve my Sony KD34 XBR 970 from my daughter's home. So she and her family can go ahead and buy the Flat panel they crave. Or I'll just buy a BenQ 1070 or 1080 ST and beam it on the wall. The wife is strangely okay with the return of the XBR tank. I'll certainly take it back anyway. Even if I have to store it until the new place is finished next spring. It had absolutely the best PQ I ever witnessed. And I'm sort of eager to team it up with my Darbee Darblet.

So if anyone out there want a pristine condition Hitachi 65F59 that has been self calibrated using just about every technique on this and the Hitachi thread. Have at it. It is ready to be enjoyed (Great picture). Or it can be trusted in the magic hands of Mr. Bob for "Perfect" imaging. It is in Stow MA (slightly NW of Boston). For free for anyone on this forum. PM me if interested. And I'll list on Craigslist for $200. And take $100. You'll have to move it yourself. It has the original remote, owners manual and Service manual. It also had the tint shift repair years ago. And has operated flawlessly since. So...if interested, let me know before it goes on Craigslist or hits the landfill before I move in October.

I also thank all of the regulars on this thread. Who have helped me tremendously over the years. I will still read this thread. Because it simply is one of my favorites. And I know I will miss the unmatched PQ of my Hitachi RPCRT.
post #12586 of 12592 Old 08-18-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So sorry to lose you from the fold. You've been around for a long time!

But that Sony is the best! If you have not had it calibrated on both image structure and color/grayscale, there are things we can do over the phone to get it even better. Including getting rid of its built-in Sony (just like Mit) red push.

Call me -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12587 of 12592 Old 08-18-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
So sorry to lose you from the fold. You've been around for a long time!

But that Sony is the best! If you have not had it calibrated on both image structure and color/grayscale, there are things we can do over the phone to get it even better. Including getting rid of its built-in Sony (just like Mit) red push.

Call me -

b

You have a deal Bob. I'm really looking forward to getting it back. And I never even tried to optimize it before. So I'll just let you guide me over the phone and be good to go. I really want the Sony for TV viewing and console gaming in my home office when the apt gets built. The Sony handles all of the scaling and resolutions perfectly. It doesn't do 1080p. But I don't care. Because it does everything else so well (480i/p, 720p, 1080i) That's what I missed about it so much. It did native resolutions all the way up to 1080i so well...I could never see a need for 1080p. And those lower resolutions (480) always look below average to me on other techs. That was a downgrade from CRT to me. But enough of my soapbox. I will get a simple small projector for the Living room that I can sit on a shelf behind the sofa and just project on a wall for Big picture 3D movie watching. And I'll game on the Sony and PC. I'll also still follow the comments on this thread. But I will certainly miss the un-replaceable comraderie about the shared RPCRT passion. It may not be until March-April 2015 when I grab the Sony back though. But I'll definitely do a phone consult with you on the areas mentioned. I'm sure my grand kids and son-in law have jostled it around. Even though it still looks good in their home.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 08-18-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #12588 of 12592 Old 08-18-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can't wait, BB!

I actually have one in my garage awaiting work. Figured it probably would need a board or something, but now your excitement about it might get me to actually turn it on!

Love how others I have calibrated have turned out, yer right, there's really nothing like it -

b
barrelbelly likes this.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12589 of 12592 Old 08-18-2014, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Try turning up the color or contrast all the way up. If certain colors start to leave "trails" to the right, that color tube is getting worn out. Used to see that a lot on the older sets, but have not seen this on today's HDready units at all so far.

Be sure to inquire as to usage, make sure it has not been used as the family baby sitter, on 16 hours a day, and not fully cranked up all the time on the Contrast/overall light level. Remember on a Mit, midpoint of the Contrast is already up 80-90% of full.

b
This might explain the white ghosting I'm seeing on the tv. It wasnt really a baby sitter, (not its entire life, my sister used it that way a bit recently) but more imporantly our tv used to be used as the big monitor in a Disney Store (family member worked there). So its lived a hard life I guess. I'll try and take a picture tommorrow see if I'm right.
post #12590 of 12592 Old 08-19-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Can't wait, BB!

I actually have one in my garage awaiting work. Figured it probably would need a board or something, but now your excitement about it might get me to actually turn it on!

Love how others I have calibrated have turned out, yer right, there's really nothing like it -

b
I can't wait either Bob. Now that I've committed to this path, I am giddy about getting my 34" Sony XBR HD Fatboy back! Call me old & old school. But I have to have a reference HD CRT in my place. Just to appreciate what real A/V looks like. And that Sony trounced every single LCD/LED, DLP or plasma I saw. Also can't wait to unleash the Darbee on it after you guide me through the calibration. That combo should be awesome! You, Michael and the rest of the gang will just have to bare with me. Because I'm going to talk about it on this thread after we trick it out this winter or spring. I'll call you when we get closer to the new apt date to discuss pricing.

Ciao!
post #12591 of 12592 Old 08-19-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
You, Michael and the rest of the gang will just have to bare with me. Because I'm going to talk about it on this thread after we trick it out this winter or spring.
We're with you every step of the way!

Michael
barrelbelly likes this.

post #12592 of 12592 Old Yesterday, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I can't wait either Bob. Now that I've committed to this path, I am giddy about getting my 34" Sony XBR HD Fatboy back! Call me old & old school. But I have to have a reference HD CRT in my place. Just to appreciate what real A/V looks like. And that Sony trounced every single LCD/LED, DLP or plasma I saw. Also can't wait to unleash the Darbee on it after you guide me through the calibration. That combo should be awesome! You, Michael and the rest of the gang will just have to bare with me. Because I'm going to talk about it on this thread after we trick it out this winter or spring. I'll call you when we get closer to the new apt date to discuss pricing.

Ciao!
Couldn't have said it better myself. I'll be there when you're ready -

b
barrelbelly likes this.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Reply Rear Projection Units