Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 428 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12811 of 12837 Old 01-07-2015, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 69
If no one takes it I will be glad to receive the power supply board and the convergence board, both of which are very easy to get out. And the remote.

I'll be glad to send you the shipping money for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12812 of 12837 Old 01-10-2015, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a mits 55813 and the remote stopped working. It will not turn the tv on or off, change channels, inputs, etc. It will only operate the volume. Any thoughts for a solution? Thank you.
post #12813 of 12837 Old 01-10-2015, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerall View Post
I own a mits 55813 and the remote stopped working. It will not turn the tv on or off, change channels, inputs, etc. It will only operate the volume. Any thoughts for a solution? Thank you.
Harmony Remotes they are Great will control any Devise
post #12814 of 12837 Old 01-10-2015, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideswiper View Post
Harmony Remotes they are Great will control any Devise
Thanks - will the 350 do it?
post #12815 of 12837 Old 01-10-2015, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mits still going great after 13yrs.

My Mits 55819 purchased in early 2002 is still looking great. I recently cleaned the lens for the first time and now it's brighter and sharper. They didn't seem that dirty. I had the set ISF'd and have always used a power filter. I haven't moved the settings from the day it was calibrated. I think calibration, power filtering, and the fact that I don't have kids in the house running it all day every day are the keys to it's long life. Just wish it wasn't so damn big. The pic looks like a movie theater more than anything I have seen today.

SCB48
Fairfax, Va.
post #12816 of 12837 Old 01-10-2015, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
There seems to be many replacements that can be picked up off eBay. Harmony remotes are great but I'm not sure if you'll be able to do your user convergence much less getting into the SM with them . I've never used a harmony remote so I could be wrong. Just a heads up
post #12817 of 12837 Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Of course By replacements I mean used OEM remotes. Should be remote # EUR7616Z2B
post #12818 of 12837 Old 01-10-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks - will the 350 do it?
Sure it will, Harmony remotes will do everything your other remote does.
post #12819 of 12837 Old 01-10-2015, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If it will only operate the volume, I strongly suspect the multi-remote switch at the top may have been changed from far left position, of TV. If so, putting it back there should do the trick.

The Harmony remotes will not directly have some of the particular buttons needed to do a calibration on your set, esp. Audio and Video, tho the ordinary non-service menu ones will probably be covered. They may be there but it will be convoluted to try to get to them as needed. Since the Harmoniss are also learning remotes you could use your remote to program the Harmony, IF your remote worked! Or borrow someone else's, the Mit remotes never really changed over the years except for where the particular buttons wound up. In contrast to the Hitachis, which kept changing what each button would do when in service mode, year by year.

But it would still be convoluted to use Harmony, compared to the real thing.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Last edited by Mr Bob; 01-10-2015 at 11:10 AM.
post #12820 of 12837 Old 01-10-2015, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB48 View Post
My Mits 55819 purchased in early 2002 is still looking great. I recently cleaned the lens for the first time and now it's brighter and sharper. They didn't seem that dirty. I had the set ISF'd and have always used a power filter. I haven't moved the settings from the day it was calibrated. I think calibration, power filtering, and the fact that I don't have kids in the house running it all day every day are the keys to it's long life. Just wish it wasn't so damn big. The pic looks like a movie theater more than anything I have seen today.
It looks like a movie theater because it's so damn big? Sorry, just had to hop on that...

Glad you feel like it rivals the performance of a real movie theater more than most everything out there today. That's how I feel about mine too, also a Mit.

When the optics don't seem that dirty after probably 10 years of use, it's because you are not using the right techniques to check them.

Darken your room, take a very bright flashlight with the set off and shine it at a very steep angle, bouncing it off the lens. With the light going sideways it's a lot easier to see how dirty it is. Same test for the mirror, then touch a little portion, shine the light again at a steep angle, and see if that portion doesn't look blacker than the rest of the mirror.

This is all with the front screen removed of course.

Another test is to have very bright content on and the room darkened, then lick your finger and draw a happy face on the center lens face. If it has never been cleaned, you'll see a huge contrast showing. Be sure and lick your finger first, we don't want any dry scratches permanently embedded into the plastic face of that lens.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 01-10-2015 at 11:09 AM.
post #12821 of 12837 Old 01-10-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideswiper View Post
Sure it will, Harmony remotes will do everything your other remote does.
Maybe depends on the version but I still had to program a lot of the functions to the Xbox version. Logitech seems to have only the most basic functions of the remote on them. For instance you won't find the Home button that comes on Sony BD remotes and is useful for the poorly programmed streaming apps that you can't exit without hitting the Home button.
post #12822 of 12837 Old 01-10-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
It looks like a movie theater because it's so damn big? Sorry, just had to hop on that...

Glad you feel like it rivals the performance of a real movie theater more than most everything out there today. That's how I feel about mine too, also a Mit.

When the optics don't seem that dirty after probably 10 years of use, it's because you are not using the right techniques to check them.

Darken your room, take a very bright flashlight with the set off and shine it at a very steep angle, bouncing it off the lens. With the light going sideways it's a lot easier to see how dirty it is. Same test for the mirror, then touch a little portion, shine the light again at a steep angle, and see if that portion doesn't look blacker than the rest of the mirror.

This is all with the front screen removed of course.

Another test is to have very bright content on and the room darkened, then lick your finger and draw a happy face on the center lens face. If it has never been cleaned, you'll see a huge contrast showing. Be sure and lick your finger first, we don't want any dry scratches permanently embedded into the plastic face of that lens.

b
I meant that the picture looks very film like, clear film like. I did use a very bright led work light and could see a film. I cleaned them with a new microfiber cloth and 91% alcohol. They looked clear after that but the cloth wasn't dirty. I did this with the back off and couldn't get to the mirror. I felt I was pushing my luck with taking stuff apart so I left the mirror for another time. I'm sure it needs it but the pic is so much brighter with just the lens cleaned. Does the front just pop off? And does it go back on with correct alignment? I can't remember from 2002. BTW, Chuck Williams calibrated it before he moved to SF.
Thanks Bob.

SCB48
Fairfax, Va.
post #12823 of 12837 Old 01-10-2015, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Chuck is a great calibrator. He used to own a Sony CRT RPTV at one time, I believe it was a 65".

I don't use microfibre cloths because they are not absorbent and just move the dirt around to dry later with residue. I use paper towels because of their absorbency, and very carefully so as not to ever scratch the soft plastic lenses, which is instant and permanent damage. I use them very differently on the glass mirror from how I use them on the plastic lens surfaces. It's all in the wrist.

I don't ever allow alcohol onto plastic lenses, nor do I allow ammonia. Plastic is not like glass, which is super hard and very forgiving. Plastic does not forgive at all.

The mirror needs cleaning just as much as the lenses do. If you leave that step out of the process it will never look like new again, like it does when I do it.

The front will need to be unscrewed at the bottom and may pop off, may lift off, may angle off. Don't remember with your particular set.

I am always available for phone consultation on how to clean your optics thoroughly and without permanently damaging them.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 01-10-2015 at 04:17 PM.
post #12824 of 12837 Old 01-10-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
Chuck is a great calibrator. He used to own a Sony CRT RPTV at one time, I believe it was a 65".

I don't use microfibre cloths because they are not absorbent and just move the dirt around to dry later with residue. I use paper towels because of their absorbency, and very carefully so as not to ever scratch the soft plastic lenses, which is instant and permanent damage. I use them very differently on the glass mirror from how I use them on the plastic lens surfaces. It's all in the wrist.

I don't ever allow alcohol onto plastic lenses, nor do I allow ammonia. Plastic is not like glass, which is super hard and very forgiving. Plastic does not forgive at all.

The mirror needs cleaning just as much as the lenses do. If you leave that step out of the process it will never look like new again, like it does when I do it.

The front will need to be unscrewed at the bottom and may pop off, may lift off, may angle off. Don't remember with your particular set.

I am always available for phone consultation on how to clean your optics thoroughly and without permanently damaging them.

b
It has a small panel that unscrews at the bottom of the front and exposes the front of the guns and electronics. He took the protective screen off and I've never put it back on. Pic is much better without. I still have it if anybody wants it. I believe he just popped off the front screen frame but don't know if it exposes the mirror.

SCB48
Fairfax, Va.
post #12825 of 12837 Old 01-11-2015, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried to share my thinking on optics cleaning with Chuck at one time, but he never really cottened to it, that I could see. I OTOH believe that optics cleaning is an absolutely essential piece of the puzzle. With 30,000 volts at work operating those CRTs, the dust that gets statically charged and deposits itself on the optical surfaces compromises the clarity of the picture without mercy.

I agree with you about the glarescreen. I agree the pic looks much better without it, esp. in the daytime or with lights on in your viewing room. I will sell mine for my 73" in a shot, it's never been out of its brand new cardboard box, is still factory sealed. It could come in handy for anyone with toddlers, young ones or tall, slobbering dogs.

I would not get into that panel at the bottom of the front. It's dangerous in there and anything could happen while the panel's off.

To do the optics cleaning the screen frame needs to be removed, which on a Mit includes the view screen. Some models you have to disconnect the inline wires as well, whose clips just pop apart.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 01-11-2015 at 04:27 PM.
post #12826 of 12837 Old 01-11-2015, 04:38 PM

So Christmas forced me to get rid of one big screen and I decided the JVC 56G787 had to go. I had picked up a great aftermarket remote so I decided I would give someone a deal with the TV for $25 the cost of the remote. The guy who bought it wanted it for his kids, they had broken the TV connected to their PS3 and he didn't want to fork out a lot of cash. He was really blown away by the picture, we even set it up side by side with one of my new TVs a TCL 46" set to 720p. About two days after he picked it up he called and told me he swapped the TV in the family room for the JVC because of the "theatre" feel and his wife liked the picture better than their Sanyo LCD.

So now having 3 50" a Dynex 720p, a Haier 1080p, and a Hisense Smart 1080, and a TCL 46", and no room for any more TVs, I found myself cruising Craigslist and some local barter sights looking for another nice used DLP or another JVC D-ILA. For a Great deal of course.
post #12827 of 12837 Old 01-12-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I have a 14+ year Mits 55807. Still works. Only TV I got at home. But I think it's time for me to move on. Better to donate it or try to sell it?
post #12828 of 12837 Old 01-12-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rabid1 View Post
So Christmas forced me to get rid of one big screen and I decided the JVC 56G787 had to go. I had picked up a great aftermarket remote so I decided I would give someone a deal with the TV for $25 the cost of the remote. The guy who bought it wanted it for his kids, they had broken the TV connected to their PS3 and he didn't want to fork out a lot of cash. He was really blown away by the picture, we even set it up side by side with one of my new TVs a TCL 46" set to 720p. About two days after he picked it up he called and told me he swapped the TV in the family room for the JVC because of the "theatre" feel and his wife liked the picture better than their Sanyo LCD.

So now having 3 50" a Dynex 720p, a Haier 1080p, and a Hisense Smart 1080, and a TCL 46", and no room for any more TVs, I found myself cruising Craigslist and some local barter sights looking for another nice used DLP or another JVC D-ILA. For a Great deal of course.

Neat story. Sounds like you gave someone a very merry Christmas. But unfortunately, this is a RPCRT HDTV thread. And you're unlikely to get many or any comments about LCD or DLP. There are a ton of DLP threads though in the Rear Projection area.
post #12829 of 12837 Old 01-12-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
Neat story. Sounds like you gave someone a very merry Christmas. But unfortunately, this is a RPCRT HDTV thread. And you're unlikely to get many or any comments about LCD or DLP. There are a ton of DLP threads though in the Rear Projection area.
`

Actually I posted here because of previous comments and advice from Mr. Bob on that TV in this thread.
post #12830 of 12837 Old 01-12-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
I have a 14+ year Mits 55807. Still works. Only TV I got at home. But I think it's time for me to move on. Better to donate it or try to sell it?
It depends on how you feel about it. In my area people can still pull a couple hundred bucks for a nice used projection TV. When you start getting into TVs without HDMI it gets tougher. There are always people who can use a free TV though. a friend just recently donated and older 1080i to a senior center.
post #12831 of 12837 Old 01-13-2015, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
I disagree. These have turned into semi-permanent sets, lasting years and years longer than pretty much anything else out there you can buy new today. Your set is still young in CRT years. And that doesn't even talk about performance.

I will put my WS 73517 up against any other set out there and it will stand tall, soundly trouncing the easily affordable flat panels. Fully developed - cleaned and dialed in the way they were designed to be - it will knock your socks off with its performance, which continues to make visitors to my place tell me I have my "own private IMAX".

Keep your set and have me over to fully trick it out - or get on the phone with me and allow me to direct you in how to do it yourself - and you won't continue to think you need to buy new. It will be like HAVING a new one, it will look so much better than it currently looks. Only you will have one with more depth than most of the new sets out there today, one that will continue to last and last for you, having a lifespan we haven't seen near the end of, yet.

Or come over to my place, where you can get a good dose of how yours SHOULD look.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 01-13-2015 at 08:58 AM.
post #12832 of 12837 Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
`

Actually I posted here because of previous comments and advice from Mr. Bob on that TV in this thread.
Anyone with any kind of set is welcome here. I didn't recognize that this set was a D-ILA set, but no biggie. Welcome and thanks for sharing your experience! barrelbelly just wanted to help, we don't mean to make you feel unwelcome.

Having a triple chip display rather than one with a color wheel is definitely the upper crust in fixed pixel RPTVs, just like the Sony SXRDs. The only things you gotta watch out for there are that first, their projection optics get dirty just like those of CRT because of the high voltage of the lamps used, plus the alignment can be off on them permanently. I have seen some really bad convergence alignment even on the big 4K projectors out in the mall theaters. Our CRT sets are the only ones that allow the viewer to change that, to keep it dialed in if it should drift. If the alignment is off on a fixed pixel triple chip display, that is out of the area where the viewer can align it up for himself. I can do it, of course, just get me in there...

One of the worst triple chip offenders was a Runco DLP projector I saw at CES in the press room. They told me that was how they shipped out, but I would never have allowed such an amount of misconvergence in one of my calibrations, be it CRT or any other projection modality.

b
barrelbelly likes this.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 01-13-2015 at 09:14 AM.
post #12833 of 12837 Old 01-13-2015, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It depends on how you feel about it. In my area people can still pull a couple hundred bucks for a nice used projection TV. When you start getting into TVs without HDMI it gets tougher. There are always people who can use a free TV though. a friend just recently donated and older 1080i to a senior center.
HDMI compatibility can be cured instantly with an HD Fury device, just contact me. And please get contact info on me to the people your friend donated that 1080i set to.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12834 of 12837 Old 01-14-2015, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone in the Houston area interested in a free Toshiba 56H81, pm me. In great working condition, just don't have room for it.
post #12835 of 12837 Old 01-14-2015, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice unit. Should clean up nicely and calibrate up a storm. I have personally calibrated many of them.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12836 of 12837 Old 01-20-2015, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a rca d52w20 that I picked up a couple years ago basically for free. Besides I bit of burn in near the bottom right of the screen..that I caused from having a security camera image on thepip....the TV still looks amazing to me. Not as bright as the new $2000 TVs of its size..but the picture is more like like than new TVs impo. Plus I plug my smartphone into the dvi input via an HDMI out on my phone and a couple adapters later...and boom its a smart TV. Actually I'm looking for an older hitachi ultravision because I hear they can be calibrated to rival and even look better then a new tv. But for now I'm happy with the picture my rca provides.
post #12837 of 12837 Old Today, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Welcome! Glad to have you here.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell