Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 432 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #12931 of 12946 Old 03-11-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Hey, we get the first prototypes, right?

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)

Get Help Picking the Right DIY Sound Group Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12932 of 12946 Old 03-11-2015, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just wondering if a 2004 Mitsubishi ws55315 is worth getting professionally calibrated...and how much it would cost to fly one of you pros to Erie PA to do it. Thanks for any estimates.
post #12933 of 12946 Old 03-11-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Hey, we get the first prototypes, right?
That's why I'm trying to convince Bob to jog down the road...make 1st contact...and meet these folks. He could be a great resource for them in the area of field testing Consumer versions ranging from monitor station setups to Home Entertainment. Plus an integral part of their service grid. All he would have to show Dana Corey and that gang is his AVS thread and the scholarly conversation that has taken place in it. Plus...well...he would have access to a great panel of knowledgeable field testers to sample products, gain valuable feedback and debug prototypes through. Hint...Hint...Wink! I'm sure you, me, Superleo and all of the "High Priesthood Assembly" of HDRPCRT would agree on that score.
post #12934 of 12946 Old 03-11-2015, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I am going to have to check this stuff out this weekend.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #12935 of 12946 Old 03-11-2015, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rptvtomi52 View Post
Just wondering if a 2004 Mitsubishi ws55315 is worth getting professionally calibrated...and how much it would cost to fly one of you pros to Erie PA to do it. Thanks for any estimates.
VERY worth calibrating! One of the great things about CRT is its longevity, and its ability to stay young looking at all times. If you've cared for it and treated it well - there's no screenburn and it has not been worn out by being on 12 hours a day as the family baby sitter at 100% Contrast - chances are I can do what I do best with it - make it look better than new, and permanently. Stealth grade.

Contact me directly and I'll fill you in on what I charge for a Mr Bob to-die-for calibration, like the one I did for Len in Maryland (Len44) just a few months ago. His review is here in this thread, the second post a couple pages back, post #12872 on page 430. 2 of them, actually, spaced out by a little while. It's also on Yelp. As are 20 others on Yelp, all 5 star, most about my calibrating CRT tech.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 03-11-2015 at 08:46 PM.
post #12936 of 12946 Old 03-12-2015, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sounds good....I'll get in contact with you after I get it upstairs to its new home...and I get a bit of money together. Its for sure on my to do list, it may be a couple months tho. Anyone I talk to about these TVs always tells me to forget about the old dinosaurs and get with the fixed pixel displays of today...and I wanna show them exactly how wrong they are about how real and life-like images these displays have cuz they don't believe me that a ten year old set can look better than their brand new 1500 dollar flat screen hanging on their wall.
post #12937 of 12946 Old 03-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've been away from this thread for awhile, but I like to visit every once in a while. Glad to see it's still going and glad to see Bob is still helping folks with their RP CRT TV's.

MY DILEMMA!

I have a Pioneer Elite Pro-710HD 64" TV that I have honestly been trying to replace for 5 years now. Not because I don't like the picture - it's because I want more of it (bigger size), as well as a change up in entertainment centers. Unfortunately, moving the couch forward does not work with the room, so we're about 13' feet from the front wall and about 10' from the TV. My wife has even said - get whatever you want (up to $10K!)

I've looked into everything the last five years, especially the prospect of a projector with a Black Diamond screen to use as a TV. I even helped a friend to get one and helped him install it. While it is a much larger image, I've found for myself that quality seems to trump quantity. I've been looking into the 85" Samsung UN85HU8550, as well as the new JVC 85" DM85UXR. The JVC is at Costco and costs $5999 right now - it's FALD, with 64 zones. I have not seen it yet, but I have seen the Samsung. The compromise on the Samsung is motion and black levels and probably contrast. Not sure I can live with that, after having my 710 for 15 years now.

Bottom line - every time I sit down to watch my 710, I am drawn in to the picture. It's calibrated for night viewing, but when lights are on and/or windows are open during the day, it brightens up and seems to almost automatically adjust for the lighting in the room. No, I don't have that feature turned on, I think the light might hit the mirror and help it along. It's amazing the black levels and contrast I get during the daytime.

I see there is a 77" LG 4K OLED coming out, but it's $25K! We might need another year or three until the price comes down on an OLED of that size.

In the meantime, my 710 keeps rolling along, providing a very satisfying viewing experience. No, it's not as sharp as today's TV's, yet, there's just something magical about the picture.

Thanks Bob for all the work you've done on my TV the two times you've stopped into Phoenix!

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #12938 of 12946 Old 03-15-2015, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Absolutely Dave!

Folks here don't know that on my way across the country to another set of CRT cals, we made the proper arrangements and you met me at the airport on my 3 hour layover in PHX. Then straight to your home and to work, as time was short. This was for the second round on your set after the initial one a year or 2 before that. Results awesome as usual! Quite fun. Had a blast and you even got me back to the plane on time!

Yes, OLED's size has continued to creep up at a snail's pace. I remember the CES years ago where the $2500 11" version was the only production game in town - they had a 24" there, but it was still a prototype - and the price continues to take its own sweet time coming down. It will eventually, but for now I am glad I was able to get you a solution that was easy to live with, in supertweaking your 710. No it's not 4K, but at a certain distance away and beyond, 4K would not even be visibly better. And unfortunately you're stuck with your viewing distance in that room. Only going up in size will actually make the difference for you.

Keep us informed -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 03-15-2015 at 06:24 PM.
post #12939 of 12946 Old 03-18-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Mr. Bob,

It's too bad that you don't live near me. I have a Panny PT47x54 that wants an new home. I'm tempted to roll it to the dumpster if my friend doesn't come and gets it soon. Its still a great tv, but it was time for an upgrade.
post #12940 of 12946 Old 03-18-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Did my every other year general interior cleanout / lens polish / re-calibration on the trusty Hitachi Director's Series 65SWX20B 65" .. still as glorious as the day it came home ...

Yes, it's a monster (I installed handles on the front under the grill so I could grab it and roll it forward out of the entertainment center a long time ago) .. but even at 1080i, I'll stack it against anything out there ..

I have instructions in my Will that I be buried with the set, or possibly, in the set ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Last edited by mgkdragn; 03-18-2015 at 03:45 PM.
post #12941 of 12946 Old 03-18-2015, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have the same instructions in mine. Want to be buried together??? We and a whole bunch of owners in this thread should get together and buy a special plot of land...

b
mgkdragn likes this.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12942 of 12946 Old 03-19-2015, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
I have the same instructions in mine. Want to be buried together??? We and a whole bunch of owners in this thread should get together and buy a special plot of land...

b

"And in the Year 2525, if Man is Still Alive" .. they will unearth us to make way for a new Spaceport and wonder .. .. of course, they would clean off the set, plug it in and voila .. it would still be fully functional ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #12943 of 12946 Old 03-19-2015, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And we know the age of anyone who would remember that song!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12944 of 12946 Old Today, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for an HDFURY III for my mits 65711. Let me know if you have one. Also, green cable is why I want, is that correct, Bob?
post #12945 of 12946 Old Today, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have a Fury 4 ready to go to a new home. Contact me directly and I'll get you a 3. Not sure of the color of patchcord you are talking about, but what you need is RGB out of the Fury 3 (they all have that) to the triple component male plugs, to plug into your component inputs at your set. On a Pioneer it can also be used at your RGB inputs if you wish, selectable. By your Mit unit's model year they no longer had RGB inputs, so you'd switch it to component output.

The Fury III kit includes the Gamma X, which does essentially the same enhancement of the dark shadow detail while leaving the absolute blacks alone (unlike Brightness control) as the Moome gamma bump circuits, and is also highly recommended by yours truly. The advantage of buying them together is that the input/ouput of the Gamma X is RGB, so it fits right in there between the Fury III and the component-out patchcord. It is variable so you can set it just right.

Contact me directly and we'll work it out -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; Today at 10:55 AM.
post #12946 of 12946 Old Today, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bob, I'll send you and email later today. I think I have your cell number in old emails. Is it still good?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
convergence , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite , pioneer sd-p5181-k , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P65v10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page