Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 433 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12961 of 12977 Old 04-16-2015, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbough View Post
You could just use your 65813's DVI input with the lumagen's DVI output. This will be for video only so all of you source units will still need to send their audio signals through your receiver for audio to work. The lumagens and your 813s DVI ports all carry the HDCP needed to work with blu-ray and video streamers. You just need an optical or digital coaxial output on your source units to hookup to your receiver. Lots of wiring going to 2 different units should work fine though. My 1080p Amazon fire TV works fine with my DVDO edge sending 1080i over the DVI to my WS-65813.

Unless you want to keep it all on component then you'll need one of the HDFury products.
Thanks, I will try that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12962 of 12977 Old 04-16-2015, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post

Thanks, I will try that.

Good luck. Hope everything works as well for you as it has for me.

If you need cables order from monoprice.com I've ordered, DVI, HDMI and toslink optical audio cables among other things great quality, prices and not a single wiring problem for me in last 3 years.
post #12963 of 12977 Old 04-16-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I will try that.

After reading a lot more up on the vision HDP you'll need to make sure you have the latest firmware update on it. It probably has it since it was back in '08 but it needs to be there so it will accept 1080@24, 1080@25 and 1080@30 as an input resolution ( native blu-ray red and all 1080p streaming boxes). Good luck, let us know how it turns out
post #12964 of 12977 Old 04-20-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:

If you need cables order from monoprice.com I've ordered, DVI, HDMI and toslink optical audio cables among other things great quality, prices and not a single wiring problem for me in last 3 years.
I think I have enough cables, and I also have purchased from Monoprice with good results. My concern is with my Roku 2xs having composite audio out.
I just connected the HDP to the tv and all I get is a blue screen?
post #12965 of 12977 Old 04-20-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I think I have enough cables, and I also have purchased from Monoprice with good results. My concern is with my Roku 2xs having composite audio out.
I just connected the HDP to the tv and all I get is a blue screen?

Do you know what the previous output resolution was on the HDP? It may be as simple as its sending a 720p or 1080p signal and the TV won't do anything with either of them.
post #12966 of 12977 Old 04-20-2015, 11:07 AM

Ok, I called Lumagen and got to the menu and was able to setup my blueray player but the Roku which shows their menu system but when a bookmark is selected all I get is a purple screen. I don't think Roku will work off dvi?
post #12967 of 12977 Old 04-20-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Ok, I called Lumagen and got to the menu and was able to setup my blueray player but the Roku which shows their menu system but when a bookmark is selected all I get is a purple screen. I don't think Roku will work off dvi?
Is there an option to turn HDCP on and off or auto? My DVDO edge does not sure about the HDP though. Check, if it does make sure its on. The roku may think your trying to view HDCP protected content on a non HDCP device if its off.

Looking at it further on the audio side it looks like your only going to get left right stereo out of the roku if its not over the HDMI. You may need to leave the roku hooked directly to the receiver via HDMI so you get your surround sound and run the HDMI output from your receiver to the HDP via DVI since you won't need sound anymore. Its extra processing so you wouldn't want to do it that way unless you have to. Once you get everything functioning through the HDP you'll also be able to eliminate most if not all overscan from all your sources going through the HDP.
post #12968 of 12977 Old 04-23-2015, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I don't know of any way to turn on or off the HDCP copy protection circuits. Seems they would not want them switchable, as the copy protection is not supposed to be able to be turned off.

That said, I have never seen a Roku box - or Apple TV - that puts out 1080i. The only way I know of to get a Roku's 1080p to our CRT sets is to use a dedicated scaler, or an HD Fury 4, that will transcode 1080p to 1080i.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #12969 of 12977 Old 04-23-2015, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rptvtomi52 View Post
Where do I find how many hours my mits ws55315 has been in use? My rca has a hour counter in the service menu...just wondering if its the same for the mits. And how many hours before it starts affecting the picture quality and brightness of the crt's. More directly....what is the average lifespan for the CRTs in the mits? And the rca d52w20? If anyone knows the brand and quality of these...any input is much appreciated...thanks.
Personally I have never seen an hours counter on any CRT RPTV, and I have been in many service menus. Not part of the price point, I figure.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12970 of 12977 Old 04-23-2015, 01:25 AM

On my DVDO edge you have an output HDCP mode that can be toggled between auto and always on. And an input HDCP mode that can be toggled between on and off. That being said it has an on screen warning that the edge handles HDCP violations by blanking the output picture (blue screen). If the lumagen HDP has a similar setting and for whatever reason it was turned off (HDCP violation) it could explain the purple screen. If so then simply turning it back on may fix the problem.
post #12971 of 12977 Old 04-23-2015, 04:25 PM

Liked: 14
I am getting back into retro gaming, and I am in search of a 4:3 TV. I would like a larger size, but the larger ones I found on Craigslist (32"/36") have terrible geometry issues. I found a couple of rear projection CRT that are 4:3 format. One is an Hitachi, which back in the day, were considered high end (if my memory serves me correctly). I remember people were impressed when you had either a Mitsu, Hitachi, or Pioneer CRT. My question is, can parts still be sourced for these older sets or are they boat anchors if they fail. I would assume most of the CRT guns would be near end of life on these older sets.

Chris

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #12972 of 12977 Old 04-23-2015, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nep. Properly treated, CRTs - direct view or projection - just keep going, and going and going...

Those owners with unlimited funds regun their overhead projectors, not because they finally give out and die, but only because they have finally gone relatively dim, as the phosphors eventually will when pushed hard. On projection CRT sets they drive those guns a lot harder than on direct view CRT sets, and overhead projectors get driven harder than rear projection. I know of one Panasonic CRT RPTV that was 29 years old before giving up the ghost. My 26" Mit CRT in the bedroom here has to be at least 20 years old by now, and since it's been run at 40% contrast since I bought it, it shows no sign of impending end of life, never has. I bought it long before HD was even a twinkle in the eye of Joe Kane. The first HD sets hit our country just before Y2K at the turn of the century. They were actually in Japan before they were here.

Keep your contrast at its midpoint or below and keep fixed images off of it to prevent screenburn, and the one you buy for your purposes might last you 29 years also.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12973 of 12977 Old 04-23-2015, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
On my DVDO edge you have an output HDCP mode that can be toggled between auto and always on. And an input HDCP mode that can be toggled between on and off. That being said it has an on screen warning that the edge handles HDCP violations by blanking the output picture (blue screen). If the lumagen HDP has a similar setting and for whatever reason it was turned off (HDCP violation) it could explain the purple screen. If so then simply turning it back on may fix the problem.
Won't turning the HDCP back on mute the picture BECAUSE of the content being an HDCP violation? Are you saying that that switching allows content to show up on the screen even tho it's an HDCP violation to do so?

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12974 of 12977 Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
Quote:
Won't turning the HDCP back on mute the picture BECAUSE of the content being an HDCP violation? Are you saying that that switching allows content to show up on the screen even tho it's an HDCP violation to do so?

b
No, if its in violation it will not show a picture. I played with it a little on blu-ray it just blanks the sceen. On the amazon fire TV it blanks the screen on protected content and drops the audio on all unprotected content and games. I really have no idea what the point is for having the ability switch it on and off from the input source. Just that if its switched off it messes things up (as expected).
post #12975 of 12977 Old 04-24-2015, 04:47 AM

Liked: 1
already dump it and got back $5 ! lol
post #12976 of 12977 Old Today, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Enjoy your $5.

I am going to enjoy my fully pimped out 73" CRT - fully dialed in to its full design potential, like they all can be - that looks so good I seldom go out to the movies anymore. Last night we watched 2 episodes of The Americans on FX in scintillating HD and pure bliss. I enjoyed the grain of the film they used to shoot those episodes, the focusing on that grain is superb.

For that same $5 I can rent 2.5 bluray movies from my corner Redbox and sit at home a totally away-from-it-all time and space traveler, with mesmerizing suspension of disbelief and total immersion, and the ability to totally forget I am actually in my own living room. It is my Star Trek transporter.

I would not take $5 to dump my set if my life depended on it.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12977 of 12977 Old Today, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
Enjoy your $5.

For that same $5 I can rent 2.5 bluray movies from my corner Redbox and sit at home a totally away-from-it-all time and space traveler, with mesmerizing suspension of disbelief and total immersion, and the ability to totally forget I am actually in my own living room. It is my Star Trek transporter.

I would not take $5 to dump my set if my life depended on it.

b
I couldn't agree more.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
convergence , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite , pioneer sd-p5181-k , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P65v10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page