Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 434 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #12991 of 13007 Old 05-14-2015, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 90
There is also a Mit WS 48315 in Redwood City across the bay from me with a convergence problem, needs its ICs replaced. That's free too. Call me.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12992 of 13007 Old 05-14-2015, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In many ways the WS 73513 mentioned above has superior performance to the 2 model years that came after, since on them there were no DVI inputs and their HDMI circuits stank and the Mit design on them totally Mit lost its edge. Literally! Such low bandwidth that the HDMI picture was mulchy and not crisp, no edge. I have the WS 73517 from 2 years after the 73513 and can attest to that unequivocally. I won't use my set's HDMI inputs at all, have to rely on an HD Fury II or later to use HDMI in my system.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #12993 of 13007 Old 05-14-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideswiper View Post
Where are you in Southern Ontario ?
I live just South of Lindsay
Near Grimsby.

ROB
post #12994 of 13007 Old 05-14-2015, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I found a new home for my TV, happy to say
Mr Bob and Squirrel! like this.
post #12995 of 13007 Unread 05-16-2015, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Too far of a Drive for me
post #12996 of 13007 Unread 05-16-2015, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Wow. You guys are still here? All my current threads are empty and I have nothing better to do, and I see this thread still exists. Whoa.

How's my old 610 doing, Bob? Seeing my VPL-VW600ES in action would make you abandon 20th century technology.

OPPO BDP-103, Comcast DVR, Sony FMP-X1 4K server
Marantz AV8801 pre/pro, Yamaha MX-A5000 amp
Sony VPL-VW600ES projector, Stewart StudioTek130 103" diag screen
7 Thiel speakers (3 SCS4, 2 PowerPoint, 2 PowerPlane), 2 JL Audio E110 subs
Harmony Ultimate remote
post #12997 of 13007 Unread 05-21-2015, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Wow. You guys are still here? All my current threads are empty and I have nothing better to do, and I see this thread still exists. Whoa.

How's my old 610 doing, Bob? Seeing my VPL-VW600ES in action would make you abandon 20th century technology.
How does VPL-VW600ES perform with windows open?
post #12998 of 13007 Unread 05-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Why would I open windows in my dedicated home theater?

Harmony Ultimate remote
post #12999 of 13007 Unread 05-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Why would I open windows in my dedicated home theater?
The same reason why you would mention front projector in rear projector thread Nothing against front projectors and it surely looks like you have a very nice one. Though one thing that I hate about front projectors is the fan noise. I am sure it can be cured by building a special case for it or putting behind the wall if the room is small enough but in most installations I've auditioned them they were loud. Perhaps that is why HT crowd wants to play audio at reference level.

Last edited by tpaxadpom; 05-21-2015 at 04:29 PM.
post #13000 of 13007 Unread 05-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Touché on the FPJ in an RPJ thread.

Like you, I was always concerned about fan noise from FPJs. My HT cannot be sound-isolated, so I do get ambient noise, and I finally decided just to chance it. Turns out the 600ES is satisfyingly quiet roughly 6 feet above and behind my head. I always run it in low lamp mode, which quiets the fan. Only 3D requires high lamp, louder fan, and I can drown it out without bursting my eardrums at reference level. My "loud enough" level is -18 dB.

The 600ES, being 4K, blows away all the old CRT RPTVs without a doubt. The ironic part is that it has the same issues of focus and convergence as any CRT RPTV. I did not miss those issues when using flat panels.

Harmony Ultimate remote
post #13001 of 13007 Unread 05-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Like you, I was always concerned about fan noise from FPJs. My HT cannot be sound-isolated, so I do get ambient noise, and I finally decided just to chance it. Turns out the 600ES is satisfyingly quiet roughly 6 feet above and behind my head. I always run it in low lamp mode, which quiets the fan. Only 3D requires high lamp, louder fan, and I can drown it out without bursting my eardrums at reference level. My "loud enough" level is -18 dB.

The 600ES, being 4K, blows away all the old CRT RPTVs without a doubt. The ironic part is that it has the same issues of focus and convergence as any CRT RPTV. I did not miss those issues when using flat panels.
Good to know it doesn't bother you. Speaking of picture quality, I do have a few Kuros (best plasma imho) and I got to tell you nothing sucks me into the movie like my old trusty Pioneer PRO-730HDi. It doesn't have the same resolution, color uniformity, the viewing angle is not perfect and it relies on my pc for white balance correction (ruler flat at calibration point). Though it does have something very special that makes me want to watch it more and more.
I thought a few times about adding a projector to my dedicated music room but I cannot find a way to integrate it there without sacrificing the acoustics of the room (obviously screen being the issue here).
post #13002 of 13007 Unread Yesterday, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New here and don't have time to read back in thread too far, so if this have been previously suggested...

For folks concerned about projector fan noise, I suggest a piece of acoustic foam placed/hung far enough away from where the fan noise is coming from so as to not impede airflow, but close enough to dampen some of the sound.

I have a stack of Crown XTi amps powering my home theater and when the fans kick on, they can be loud. A piece of acoustic foam velcroed on the wall behind the rack holding the amps helped considerably.

Since your projector might not be against a wall, you might try something similar, but free-standing. A "microphone isolation shield" might be just the ticket -- if not overkill.

Monoprice.com has a relatively inexpensive one (~$75). Just search for item #602650 . (I'd post the direct link but haven't been around here enough yet to gain that right.) In fact, for Mem Day wkend, you can use code "MEM10" and get $10 off.

Yes, you wouldn't be using it for it's intended purpose, but I suspect it would help significantly.

NOTE: If it's too big, you could shop for a smaller one -- or make your own...
post #13003 of 13007 Unread Yesterday, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had a helluva time giving mine (CRT RPTV) away...

Main: Mitsubishi 73734 DLP|Amazon Fire TV|Toshiba HD DVD-A35|Panasonic BD65|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 DIY Class 'G' 540w 12" Subs|APC H15|Harmony 720 Remote|Linksys E3000 Dual Band N-Router|Linksys SE2500 Ethernet Switch

MBR: Vizio VF550M|Roku 2XS|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|(Temporary)Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PureAV PF30|Harmony 550 Remote
post #13004 of 13007 Unread Yesterday, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMathieson View Post
I found a new home for my TV, happy to say
So glad! Wish I had a plantation rather than just a simple ranch style home on a small plot in the Bay Area, I would have grabbed it up in a minute!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13005 of 13007 Unread Yesterday, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have not kept up on all the new tech Bob, so can't say I know what your VPL looks like. Would love to come see it sometime when I am in your area.

But your old set is right here in my testing area, being used for testing as we speak on a PS board I worked on. It has had NO problems - that's zero - in all the years since you donated it to the cause and I came and picked it up from you. The ATSC HD tuner is still in it, and I sometimes have fantasies of selling that part of it off to someone who would like a totally vintage set. The rest of the set still fulfills my needs - testing PS boards that have been worked on by me here - and has enabled the saving of over a hundred CRT RPTV Pioneer Elites (and non-Elites) so far. As such it is like all the other CRT tech in this thread and others: it just keeps going, and going, and going...

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13006 of 13007 Unread Yesterday, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have seen 4K in action, and I have to agree that it will blow pretty much anything else away in terms of the crispness and depth, esp. people's faces. The 4K OLEDs I saw at CES 2 years ago positively gleamed and sparkled like nothing before them.

But very little 4K is native light generation, as OLED and CRT are, so among normal sets OLED and CRT still lead the pack in shadow detail and depth in the blacks. The back lit stuff is getting better and better tho, with the Vizio 120" from near CES 2 years ago (they had a huge room at the Wynn) having FALD (field array light dimming) of 384 dimming zones and according to anyone who saw it that year, blew away all competition. Stole the show. Every AVS'r who saw it was dazzled. So light dimming and impressive blacks have come a long way since CRT was the only game in town.

Again, would love to see your set in action.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; Yesterday at 08:29 PM.
post #13007 of 13007 Unread Today, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post
Good to know it doesn't bother you. Speaking of picture quality, I do have a few Kuros (best plasma imho) and I got to tell you nothing sucks me into the movie like my old trusty Pioneer PRO-730HDi. It doesn't have the same resolution, color uniformity, the viewing angle is not perfect and it relies on my pc for white balance correction (ruler flat at calibration point). Though it does have something very special that makes me want to watch it more and more.
I thought a few times about adding a projector to my dedicated music room but I cannot find a way to integrate it there without sacrificing the acoustics of the room (obviously screen being the issue here).

You do know they make fabric screens, right?

If you want to see one in action, go to the Screenshot War!!!!!!!! thread and check out Thread Starter Overclkr's pix. He keeps SVS subwoofers behind the screen, fed by Bob Carver's Sunfire amps and they rock! He played the Diggers scene from the Matrix trilogy when I saw them, and it felt like the machines were actually coming thru his walls! Fabric screens are the ideal way to have your front speakers actually behind the screen itself, like in the mall theaters and IMAX.

His double (sometimes triple) stack G90 CRT front pj sys is personally taken care of by ace calibrator Ken Whitcomb, go to guy for Chicago/Indiana and surrounding areas. Along with other calibrations he does, he also specializes in CRT tech, one of the few calibrators left who are adept at that kind of technology, which has its own set of rules completely apart from anything ISF teaches.

Double stack owner Cliff had a little fun with me when he was directing me in driving to his place in Indiana when I was on a calibration tour in Chicago. He said, "Start driving South and look for the corn." Right...

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; Today at 12:19 PM.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
convergence , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite , pioneer sd-p5181-k , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P65v10 by PriceGrabber.com