Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 436 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #13051 of 13053 Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Thought I would share something I just posted on the ISF Calibrators, where are you located? thread.

"I am going to be in Vegas August 23, at this point leaving again late the 25th. I would be glad to do a calibration or 2 while there and am free to extend my visit if needed.

I specialize in CRT technology - direct view, front projection and rear projection (self-contained CRT RPTV)- and also calibrate flat panels and other projection modalities like DLP (single and triple chip), LCOS, SXRD, D-ILA and Light Valve.

Double stacked CRT projectors are very powerful and deliver some of the finest contrast ratios available, far surpassing the contrast ratios of most of today's backlit and lamp driven devices. See the Screenshot War!!!!!!!! thread for examples.

Screenshot War!!!!!!!!

Only OLED surpasses CRT in contrast ratio, but to date OLED is still in its infancy for production models and AFAIK is limited to flat panels and head visors. Nothing I know of surpasses a CRT double stack in projected contrast ratio. Except of course a CRT triple stack (which yes, has been done!).

Multi-CRT projection (Barco) is used in the Portland OR Planetarium at OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry). Nothing beats it for showing stars and constellations against crystal clear black night sky. This translates to completely/faithfully captured shadow detail and spaciousness, in home theaters.

I want to see CRT continue to remain in service for what it can do and kept alive indefinitely, rather than simply replaced as a matter of course by profit motivated integrators who want to come in and say "Out with the old and in with the new" and sell their owners all new equipment. CRT tech is like tube audio - it is deep and pure and lasting forever. It shows no signs of letting up on that longevity. And its HD has depth and palpability that many of the fixed pixel devices out there today can only dream of.

My job is to bring out the best in your modality, whichever one it is. Including fine tuning your audio system to silky smooth performance. Audio is half the battle in home theater and should not be left to chance.

Mr Bob
ISF Level II Certified"

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Last edited by Mr Bob; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13052 of 13053 Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 92
My brother has come upon a new way of streaming that is head and shoulders above most of what's out there today, it's called Vstream and has a truly delectable picture. It is one of the few streamers that supports 1080i, but does not seem to have component outputs. As such I am forced to use an HD Fury product with it, to convert the HDMI to component.

I can get a cost deal on these, but have to buy 2 to do so. I would rather just buy a used one, if someone out there has one he wants to get rid of. Or go in with me by buying one for yourself and have your unit be the second of the 2 that I have to buy to get the deal.

I also have 2 Sony bluray players that output 1080i HD on component. Such players are not made anymore, the component OP of today is now capped at 480p. For those of you who have CRT RPTVs that only accept component and were produced before the time of HDMI, these are the last 2 BDPs in the known universe (in my known universe anyway) that will play your Bluray discs in true, scintillating 1080i HD, the highest scanrate our sets can play, with no conversions to 1080p needed (as is true with flat panels on broadcast HD). The HD comes straight from the disc and is sent out in true 1080i while still in the digital domain of the player, the purest form possible for our sets. Needless to say, it's virtually the best way available to see your blurays on any CRT RPTV not equipped with HDMI.

Let me know -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #13053 of 13053 Unread Today, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy 2002 Pioneer SD532HD5 available to a good home

Anyone interested in acquiring a completely functional Pioneer SD532HD5 in the Washington, DC area? We have had the set since 2002, and had the power supply board re-soldered by Bob Jones a couple of years ago. The unit is free to a good home. We are being relocated and have two weeks to get rid of our excess furniture - sorry to say, this unit falls in that category.

Post here if interested.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
convergence , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite , pioneer sd-p5181-k , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page