Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 446 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #13351 of 13361 Old 02-04-2017, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossdrumavs View Post
Cheers!

I loved my 65" rear projection Mitsubishi. It was a friend for over 15 years.

But I'm really happy with my new 65" LG 4k HDR OLED that is indeed superior in every way.

Here's to RPTVs and their place in history!
Here! Here! Cheers back at you.

I agree. But I also must admit that all of the fun vanished with the frustration of tinkering, tweaking and futilely seeking "image perfection". Alas...A/V is no longer a hobby anymore. We're all now just forced to sit and watch the numbing mediocrity of perfection. Whether the TV or movie content is Excellent to awful...it is always perfect now (without our help, curiosity or expertise). But I'm cool with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13352 of 13361 Old 02-05-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Last fall I even upgraded from a 3 year old TCL 55" LED set to a TCL 4K 55" Roku TV similar to the giveaway they had here. I sold the old TCL to a neighbor who is using it in his business and happy with it. I still have an HD Fury 3 sitting around gathering dust.
post #13353 of 13361 Old 02-12-2017, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbltecnicspro View Post
Did anyone take you up on this?

My only question is - why don't you just keep it? You mentioned earlier you had a 42 inch Plasma in your bedroom. What's another 8 diagonal inches? Just get rid of the Plasma and get the OLED and put it in your room. That way you get to keep your 9-inch tube (pretty ) monster and your deep, blacker than the night, OLED. Win-win!

Sorry for the delay in manning this post, my pw got hacked with all the others when AVS got hacked, and I am just getting back in.

I am still using my 73" Mit, am loathe to give it up and have not been motivated to set up my 1st gen - with early adopter spiffs package of around 15 extra items, not the least of which is an attachable videocam for Skyping - 55" LG OLED, which is still in its factory box from buying it from Roy last year. I calibrated it for Roy myself, so I know how good it will look, but nobody has broken down my door wanting my 73" yet, so I am still enjoying my Mit every chance I get. The LG can wait, it's not going anywhere. It has a sleeker, more futuristic design than the next year's model and all sorts of bells and whistles the next year's set didn't have. I consider it a classic set to own and have in my collection. My 46" Panny is doing just fine in the bedroom and it's just fitting in there, so no, the 55" would not work in the BR.

But my 73" Mit CRT is doing an incredibly stellar job as always, so until something changes I am still relishing it with every big event and everything in between. This includes having people over for movie night occasionally, where I really need its bigness for all the viewers. This is happening on a regular basis these days, last time was a few weeks ago for Captain America, Civil War. One of the viewers over for that movie night, commented that my set looks better than the 10' screen Epson projector at the house where he lives. Too bad its owner entertains even more people at a time than I do, so he needs that 10' screen, which is 120". My set at 73" would not work there, unfortunately.

I am just getting back to answering posts here on this thread, and obviously YOU guys have not disappeared! I will be answering them in order, so don't feel slighted if yours hasn't been answered yet. I am starting at the top of the page here where this post appeared since I got in finally, and I decided I could squeak just one reply in today, which makes it look like I am current, but am definitely not.

I must study all day today for the C-7 low voltage contractor's license exam that happens at 8am in Berkeley tomorrow morning. So it may be awhile before I can get to all of your posts. But I am still very much alive, kicking, and still doing calibrations even if there is not nearly as much to do on today's sets as those of yesteryear. Thanks for keeping this thread alive in my absence, and please keep bringing me more vintage CRTs like mine to calibrate! They are continuing to last forever, and looking stellar every moment of that. Mine does, I can't wait to turn it on every time I do. Turn me loose on yours and yours will too. Or just call me and set up a phone session, you'd be amazed at the results of just those!

Yes, CRT is still very much alive and well. I still get calls all the time about repairing them. I would love to get more calls about maintaining them too, and maximizing their granduer.

More soon -

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Last edited by Mr Bob; 02-12-2017 at 08:24 PM.

post #13354 of 13361 Old 02-12-2017, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
I saw this thread stating don't dump your rear crt and didn't realize it's almost a decade old. Surprised it's still active.

Do people still own and use them? They take up so much room and aren't very bright, or I would suspect they're not after so many years, unless there's been bulb changes, etc.

They are actually very bright when the room lighting is set up the same as a movie theater. Dazzling really. I typically keep my Contrast set at 21 out of the possible 63 and it's excellent for long term viewing. If I have dim content, like some network shows are, I put it up to 26. The only time I really turn it up is when I have to keep my front blinds open during the day, and it still has just enough light for that when needed. I don't do that very often, I usually keep it at 21. Nobody would expect to see a movie correctly in a movie theater with the doors open and the lights on. Same with CRT.

Remember that bulb driven displays can get very bright but for the same reason, suffer in the blacks and shadow detail - and thus the sense of depth - both of which get stepped on by the backlighting. You need seriously intelligent backlighting - FALD, or field array light dimming - to get close to comparing to the contrast ratio CRT has always had (and without breaking a sweat). It's head and shoulders above the performance of inexpensive non-intelligently lit LCD displays.

BTW thanks for noticing, but this thread is actually more than a decade old, I started it in '06.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 02-12-2017 at 08:17 PM.
post #13355 of 13361 Old 02-12-2017, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Finally had to put down my Mits 82838 - too many issues to handle and technology has long passed it by.

Bought a new Sony XBR75X940D 4K and HDR and am delighted with the screen brightness and resolution.
Have enjoyed lurking in this forum over the past several years, but am outta here. Cheers!
post #13356 of 13361 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good to see you back Bob i have retired my Pioneer Elite Pro 720 to the garage i have upgraded to a 65 inch LG 4K HDR & could not bring myself to give it away or send it to the Scrap yard. It will be used mostly on weekend for my Nascar, Indy, F1 Races so it will still be used quite a bit around 20 hours a week, i will be keeping my HDFury 4s to use on the 720 but may be selling my 2- HDFury 3's & the Gamma X that i have, the 720 was still superior than any 1080P flat panel IMO but it is no match for the 4K sets
post #13357 of 13361 Old Today, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by er824 View Post
Sorry I don't have much useful to offer. I used a Samsung SIR T150 box years ago with my 530Hdi.

It looks like amazon might have some options as low as $30

https://www.amazon.com/AT-163-Conver...bs_979935011_3
I looked this over and observed that it puts out 1080p on HDMI, could find no mention of 1080i at all. Needless to say, unless it does put out 1080i, it is useless for our CRT sets, which don't do 1080p - or usually 720p either, for that matter. That's why Apple TV and Roku are not a direct match and you'd need an HD Fury IV to do the transposition from 1080p to 1080i.

Anyone know whether it does 1080i or not?

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13358 of 13361 Old Today, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomDriver View Post
Finally had to put down my Mits 82838 - too many issues to handle and technology has long passed it by.

Bought a new Sony XBR75X940D 4K and HDR and am delighted with the screen brightness and resolution.
Have enjoyed lurking in this forum over the past several years, but am outta here. Cheers!
Hate to see you go, but I unnerstand!

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13359 of 13361 Old Today, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideswiper View Post
Good to see you back Bob i have retired my Pioneer Elite Pro 720 to the garage i have upgraded to a 65 inch LG 4K HDR & could not bring myself to give it away or send it to the Scrap yard. It will be used mostly on weekend for my Nascar, Indy, F1 Races so it will still be used quite a bit around 20 hours a week, i will be keeping my HDFury 4s to use on the 720 but may be selling my 2- HDFury 3's & the Gamma X that i have, the 720 was still superior than any 1080P flat panel IMO but it is no match for the 4K sets
True.

You might want to be in touch with me about optics cleaning on your 720, so that for all the purposes you mentioned you will have a brand new looking set to watch.

Contact me, I may have buyers for your Fury's, or take them off your hands cheap if you want to move them.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13360 of 13361 Old Today, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
Wow...I haven't been on this thread for a long while. And it looks like all of the old gang have moved on or abandoned it. Even Mr. Bob is no where to be seen on it. BTW...Mr Bob hasn't posted anything on AVS since 7/26/2016. Is he okay? I know he had serious health/heart issues a few years back. But I hope he is okay. IMO he was a national treasure with this thread. Looks like RPCRT is truly...finally dead & gone if Bob has moved on from his labor of love.
Sorry to have worried you, good buddy. I am alive and well, just got tied up with other facets of my life for a while and could not get AVS to respond to changing my inability to get in for a long time.

But I am alive and well, still enjoying the heck out of my wonderful, pimped out Mit 73" CRT! Now that I am back in with pw's that work, I will be manning this post again with a vengeance. I am slowly working my way down this page, had to skip a long one above but will get to it ASAP.

Great to hear from you. Long live CRT!!!

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13361 of 13361 Old Today, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
I looked this over and observed that it puts out 1080p on HDMI, could find no mention of 1080i at all. Needless to say, unless it does put out 1080i, it is useless for our CRT sets, which don't do 1080p - or usually 720p either, for that matter. That's why Apple TV and Roku are not a direct match and you'd need an HD Fury IV to do the transposition from 1080p to 1080i.

Anyone know whether it does 1080i or not?
I guess my receiver must convert the 1080p from my roku to 1080i. Is that an uncommon capability? My receiver is a middle of the road Denon, nothing to esoteric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
convergence , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite , pioneer sd-p5181-k , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page