Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 447 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #13381 of 13401 Old 03-22-2017, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Yeah, CRT really spoils us for the deep dark blacks. OLED is the only format superior to CRT at that, tho intelligent backlighting in panels comes in a close second to CRT. FALD - Field Array Light Dimming - is not available on the cheap flat panels, tho. You pay extra for that.

You pay extra for any modality that even approaches the deep inky blacks of CRT, and with OLED you pay even more, a lot more. If you have a CRT and are considering moving it on, keep that in mind - you'll pay extra for anything approaching what CRT has always done without even breaking a sweat, when it comes to the deep dark inky blacks we CRT owners have grown to know and love.

It's even true out at the movies. Dolby Cinema is the only format out there that now delivers deep inky blacks; the regular 4K DLP projectors out there only deliver mid-dark grays because of the backlighting they use. With scenes that have brilliance the contrast ratio is OK. But whenever there are really dark scenes, the grays that have replaced the blacks of film really show thru, with much of the shadow detail obliterated.

Their Dolby Vision demo trailer has a great scene where it fades to black and stays that way for a little while. Then this wording appears:

"Yes, the projector is still on" Which these days always surprises me.

That never had to happen on film, which did excellent in the blacks, nor do we need that in our CRT displays. Our blacks have always been right up there with film blacks, and the transparency and depth they convey.

If you have fallen in love with CRT's deep dark blacks and don't want to go out and pay huge amounts of extra money, keep your set. With the kind of periodic maintenance it always should have had, those blacks will still thrill you with every viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	At Dolby Labs SF .jpg
Views:	75
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	2042841  

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Last edited by Mr Bob; 03-26-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13382 of 13401 Old 04-06-2017, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I arrived in Portland OR today for family ties, will be here till April 12th. Any CRT afficianados interested in getting together while I am here and tipping a few? Maybe showing off your display to one who has seen many, many of them and can tell you if yours is at its best performance? I am one of the few people who will honor your choice to keep yours in its center of attention spot in your viewing room in the face of time marching on, rather than jumping on new-design band wagons for the new and sometimes not nearly as good.

If you have a CRT based system, you know how long they are lasting. If you have had it cleaned and calibrated on its various levels in the past and know of its gleam and glisten and breathtaking depth, you know how dazzling these babies can still look, even at your set's current age. Yes, even now. If you want yours to last even longer and exhibit sparkle you may have yet to experience out of it, please contact me immediately and we'll make some plans. I still love my 73" and view it every chance I get (not nearly enough, seeing as how I do have to work for a living...) It is not aging, and has exactly the same bright, crisp picture as it has always had, even tho being over 10 years old now. It still has the moxie to put many other modalities - and displays - to shame. And deliver dazzling HD at all times.

Keeping your CRT - be it direct view or rear projection (or front projection if you still have one of those incredible ceiling projectors) - alive and kicking is not only the least expensive avenue of attack for keeping its level of quality alive and well in your video viewing. In many cases it delivers performance that can't be beat by whatever you had in mind to replace it. Accurate and lifelike color-drenched movies, distinct shadow detail in your dark areas, gleam and glisten in your dynamic punch that is still breathtaking, especially compared to most of today's backlit displays.

Most people have no idea how much improvement can be made just from having the USER settings on their displays set to stealth levels. I have created many happy campers just from redoing their User settings. I am kind of like Johnny Appleseed on that one...

Many of you have seen my YouTube videos, at channel Mrbobbigscreen (just search out Mr Bob at YouTube). Many of you have read the more than 30 semi-hidden reviews in the Not currently recommended section of Yelp, where most of my best reviews have gone because I don't advertise with Yelp (each one 100% authentic and each one 5-star). I'll be here in Portland till the 12th. If you live in or around Portland OR, please allow me to show you what you may very well be missing.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 04-06-2017 at 09:47 PM.
post #13383 of 13401 Old 04-11-2017, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Warm up period

I just posted this in another thread re. OLED, but it contains an element that is crucial for CRT RPTVs, so I thought I would reprint it here -

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
I am in Prescott, AZ, about 2 hrs from Phoenix. I just got an LG OLED65E6P and am interested in having it calibrated once I have enough break in hours on it (how many do I need?). Thanks in advance!
100 hours of viewing time is the commonly accepted timeframe. It comes from when CRT RPTVs had convergence circuits that would need to "burn in" over time to finally lose their constant drifting, and finally get completely stable once fully warmed up from dead cold (usually about 45 minutes from turn-on after being off overnight).

This 45 minute warm-up period from dead cold to get your highest precision convergence with each viewing still applies on all CRT RPTVs, it's simply nature of the beast. If you have some critical viewing ahead of you, you turn it on 45 minutes ahead of time and let it warm up. If you don't want needless wear and tear on your guns, you change the input to a blank one for that warm up period, so your screen will be all black in the interim.

It does not apply on any other modality tho, including OLED. Good to go upon turn-on.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13384 of 13401 Old 04-11-2017, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Portland OMSI

My bro and I just watched a documentary at OMSI, Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. I had not been there in a long time, and the 270 degree dome OMNIMAX theater they used to have there is no more. But on the side of one of their buildings they had in huge writing, Empirical Theater - The Biggest Screen in Portland. I know there are IMAX's in Portland, so this caught my fancy.

Down below they had Dolby Atmos for the sound.

They run this theater all day, showing not only documentaries but also first run movies. Last night they played Star Wars Rogue One at 7pm.

You might want to check it out, they have dual Christie 4K projectors in there, standard issue these days for mall movie houses, and the screen really is huge. Can't comment on the sound system right now, as I have not seen a first run movie there yet. When I was there for the documentary, tho, they did say that Rogue One would be playing in full-on Dolby Atmos, the new 64 channel format from Dolby. Lamentably I could not make the showing and the only other showing will be on Thursday, after I have gone back to CA.

You can find a listing of their showings here, once you have a free account there -

https://www.ticketing.omsi.edu/ItemL...x?node_id=1090

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 04-11-2017 at 08:41 AM.
post #13385 of 13401 Old 04-11-2017, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

At 11am today they are showing Journey To Space, narrated by Patrick Stewart.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13386 of 13401 Old 04-16-2017, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Some further clarification -

There are no more IMAX's in Portland anymore, according to the guy supervising the showing at OMSI the day I watched the Patrick Stewart documentary on Space. That does leave this screen as the biggest screen in Portland.

It is also a white screen rather than a gray screen, allowing it to be noticeably brighter than the typical mall theater gray screen, for 3D movies. 3D movies cut out half the light, causing a comparatively dim picture whenever it's 3D on a typical gray screen.

Not so here. Bright and glorious! Blacks not quite as deep and rich as they would be on a gray screen with reflective modality like all standard issue mall DLP projectors in mall theaters these days, but the contrast ratio is still excellent with these Chrisitie's.

The OMSI Empirical theater should be noticeably better for 3D than out at the typical mall theaters. Couldn't catch a 3D movie there on this trip, but will be sure to try for that next trip to Portland.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 04-16-2017 at 10:08 AM.
post #13387 of 13401 Old 05-01-2017, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer Elite Pro-530HD Streaking

First post to AVS...

I have the streaking problem on my Pro-530HD with intermittent green or red horizontal lines showing up in the screen. I "acquired" this TV as it came with my house when I bought it a few years ago.

I have researched the class action lawsuit and this forum and the recommended fix of replacing the CRT socket boards (video amplification circuit "Kit2" in the lawsuit). I called Pioneer to see if these boards were still available for purchase and they sent me to a parts distributor who knew nothing nor had any parts available.

No luck so far in the Kansas City area of finding anyone with experience or confidence in parts availability. I have another call in to another shop and waiting to see what they say.

My questions for the experts in this group:

a) Any idea if parts and repair expertise still exists to fix this?

Looks like a OLED 4k in the 50-60 inch range is $2,500 and coming down. So, I figure if I can fix it for less and get another 10 years out of this thing - it may be worth it (pending wife approval of the proposed repair bill).

b) Does this streaking get progressively worse that the TV is unusable? Assuming that the repair is cost prohibitive/impossible & it doesn't get worse I will just keep using the TV till it dies.

Thanks for any feedback.
post #13388 of 13401 Old 05-08-2017, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those in the Greater Boston/NH area who may need a donor set or possibly just want another, please see my post in the classifieds for details on my PRO-510HD on offer (gratis!)

Its been a great ride over the last 18 years, and the new technology still can't touch some aspects of the PQ from it, but its finally time to move on.
post #13389 of 13401 Old 05-11-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
I arrived in Portland OR today for family ties, will be here till April 12th. Any CRT afficianados interested in getting together while I am here and tipping a few?
Sad that I missed this. Next time you're in the area I'd love to meet up with you. I got myself into a house, not an upstairs apartment, so my poor beleagured Philips 60PW9363/17F is finally in a place where it can get the calibration it so richly needs. Now if only the wallet was ready for it...

I also picked up a Sharp CRT RPTV, model 55R-WP5H, which is in good repair but also misaligned. It was upstairs and it took some careful work to get downstairs. Haven't done much with it other than confirm function, but everything looks good and it was all of $20. People really don't know what they have...

Mr. Bob, I'll be in contact with you once I have some money in hand that isn't earmarked for the brushfire of the week. For sure I'm going to want to get the Philips aligned, probably the Sharp as well.
post #13390 of 13401 Old 05-24-2017, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

No, people really don't. These sets just keep going, and going, and going...

Send me your contact info so I can know how to reach out to you next time I am in Portland. Best get it to me promptly rather than later on, as trips up can happen at a moment's notice and be over in a flash.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13391 of 13401 Old 08-04-2017, 03:32 PM

Is this thread still active?
post #13392 of 13401 Old 08-04-2017, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not very
post #13393 of 13401 Old 08-06-2017, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by er824 View Post
Not very
What should I do with my Toshiba 56H80? The video is blue and the convergence is off. I bought it from Future Shop in Toronto in 2001 and they have gone out of business.
post #13394 of 13401 Old 08-07-2017, 06:46 AM

73" Mitsubishi tuned by Mr. Bob about 15 months ago. Great picture and works great, except that the picture is lost within about 20 minutes or so as it warms up.

I have decided, reluctantly, to move on to newer technology.

I am in Maryland, about 35 miles North of DC (as the crow flies).

This unit is free to a good home.

Last edited by Len44; 09-07-2017 at 03:30 PM.
post #13395 of 13401 Old 08-07-2017, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckKahn View Post
What should I do with my Toshiba 56H80? The video is blue and the convergence is off. I bought it from Future Shop in Toronto in 2001 and they have gone out of business.
Cost more to fix than it is worth can hardly give away these RPTV's anymore even when they have No issues with them.
I still use my Pioneer Elite Pro 720 in my Garage i have upgraded to a 65 inch LG 4K in the house
post #13396 of 13401 Old 08-15-2017, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi95 View Post
First post to AVS...

I have the streaking problem on my Pro-530HD with intermittent green or red horizontal lines showing up in the screen. I "acquired" this TV as it came with my house when I bought it a few years ago.

I have researched the class action lawsuit and this forum and the recommended fix of replacing the CRT socket boards (video amplification circuit "Kit2" in the lawsuit). I called Pioneer to see if these boards were still available for purchase and they sent me to a parts distributor who knew nothing nor had any parts available.

No luck so far in the Kansas City area of finding anyone with experience or confidence in parts availability. I have another call in to another shop and waiting to see what they say.

My questions for the experts in this group:

a) Any idea if parts and repair expertise still exists to fix this?

Looks like a OLED 4k in the 50-60 inch range is $2,500 and coming down. So, I figure if I can fix it for less and get another 10 years out of this thing - it may be worth it (pending wife approval of the proposed repair bill).

b) Does this streaking get progressively worse that the TV is unusable? Assuming that the repair is cost prohibitive/impossible & it doesn't get worse I will just keep using the TV till it dies.

Thanks for any feedback.
I just fixed this problem in a 630 of your set's exact vintage - same model class, different size. You don't need new replacement boards, nor to have the Screen controls readjusted because of new boards, which was how they did it for years after the class action suit. That was the most direct way, but the essential change needed does not require that. Which is good, because as you say the boards are no longer available.

That's all I can say here on the thread.

It's time for an optics cleaning, after all these years. The static cling generated by the 30,000 volts at your CRTs guarantees you've been watching a cloudy, bleary picture for years if it's never been done. After the 10 primary offenders in the 28 optical surface light path have been cleaned, your set will look like new again. General optics should be cleaned every year without fail, and the deeper optics cleaned every few years. Bet your set's a little late...

But don't just go in there and do it. The lens surfaces are plastic, not glass, they are very vulnerable and easily scratched/scuffed. The mirror is a front surface mirror, we don't want to strip that mirroring agent off the glass behind it. There are ways and means for doing these things that keep you completely safe, I've been doing it on my various CRT RPTV sets for 20 years. You can be coached from a distance and get it completely right, with the correct methods and materials.

Again, your set is not worn out, even tho it looks that way. Its transparency and depth are simply being hidden by countless layers of dust, soot, grit and lint, and all manner of airborne contaminants drawn onto those surfaces by the ionization caused by the high voltage. Once that veil has been lifted, your jaw will drop at the depth of shadow detail and the dynamic punch you've been missing all these years.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 08-15-2017 at 08:17 AM.
post #13397 of 13401 Old 08-15-2017, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmachi View Post
Sad that I missed this. Next time you're in the area I'd love to meet up with you. I got myself into a house, not an upstairs apartment, so my poor beleagured Philips 60PW9363/17F is finally in a place where it can get the calibration it so richly needs. Now if only the wallet was ready for it...

I also picked up a Sharp CRT RPTV, model 55R-WP5H, which is in good repair but also misaligned. It was upstairs and it took some careful work to get downstairs. Haven't done much with it other than confirm function, but everything looks good and it was all of $20. People really don't know what they have...

Mr. Bob, I'll be in contact with you once I have some money in hand that isn't earmarked for the brushfire of the week. For sure I'm going to want to get the Philips aligned, probably the Sharp as well.

I am coming up from the SF Bay Area for my 50th high school reunion Wednesday the 16th, which promises to be interesting to say the least. I should be there about a week as I am staying for the eclipse, and would love to tip one or 2 with fellow calibrators and display owners, especially CRT RPTV and FPTV owners.

Please contact me directly and early on, let's see what our schedules look like -

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13398 of 13401 Old 08-15-2017, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len44 View Post
73" Mitsubishi with tuned by Bob about 15 months ago. Great picture and works great, except that the picture is lost within about 20 minutes or so as it warms up.

I am in Maryland, about 35 miles Notch of DC (as the crow flies).

This unit if free to a good home.

I am sorry to see you giving up on your set. My gf, who wanted me to move my "huge, space taking-up" 73" rear projection CRT set has decided we should keep it after all. She knows I have a 55" LG OLED waiting in the wings, but has decided we need to keep the big one so we can still have people over to watch it with us. We usually host 10-12 people at any movie night, and the 73" is just perfect for that. It's also perfect for 5 people or 1 person (I am such a glutton...)

She gets the OLED for her room, so is not fretting at all anymore. Guess I get to keep my 73" after all. (whew!)

It still continues to impress, people still routinely say, "You have your own private IMAX there!"

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 08-16-2017 at 11:58 AM.
post #13399 of 13401 Old 08-22-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Kinda hard to watch 4K on these old sets and that's where the trend is going. I even traded in my three year old LCD set last fall for a 4K set like the one given away on AVS Forum last year. My old Pioneer RPTV sat in my garage for several years with no one wanting it for free so finally had the refuse company do one of the special pickups for it. What happened to it after that might be anyone's guess. It should have been recycled but there might have been a chance that they may have plugged it in at the center and maybe one of the workers took it home. BTW, a neighbor bought the three year old LCD for the price I asked for and was happy to get it due to the multiple inputs it had because he was planning to use it in his business.
post #13400 of 13401 Old 09-13-2017, 05:27 PM

So, I am maybe re-thinking my decision on this set. Any reasonable speculation regarding what the most likely problem would be with the set losing it's picture after about 20 minutes of warm-up time?

Anyone?

Thanks!

Len

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
I am sorry to see you giving up on your set. My gf, who wanted me to move my "huge, space taking-up" 73" rear projection CRT set has decided we should keep it after all. She knows I have a 55" LG OLED waiting in the wings, but has decided we need to keep the big one so we can still have people over to watch it with us. We usually host 10-12 people at any movie night, and the 73" is just perfect for that. It's also perfect for 5 people or 1 person (I am such a glutton...)

She gets the OLED for her room, so is not fretting at all anymore. Guess I get to keep my 73" after all. (whew!)

It still continues to impress, people still routinely say, "You have your own private IMAX there!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len44 View Post
73" Mitsubishi tuned by Mr. Bob about 15 months ago. Great picture and works great, except that the picture is lost within about 20 minutes or so as it warms up.

I am in Maryland, about 35 miles North of DC (as the crow flies).

This unit is free to a good home.

Last edited by Len44; Today at 09:00 AM.
post #13401 of 13401 Old 09-14-2017, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hey Mr. Bob, was a pleasure talking to you a couple of months ago (Kevin in Arlington Texas) about the scared guns in my Mitsubishi WS65909 Diamond screen. I have a new dilemma, upgraded to a new sat. box that doesn't have RGB output. My remote will not talk to the set to disable the V-chip protection and the RGB was the only input that V-chip was disabled. Is there any way to disable V-chip protection without the remote control to enter the 4 pin password? I'm afraid that with all the board swapping, the remote control connection was lost or disabled. Thanks for ant advice you can give!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
convergence , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite , pioneer sd-p5181-k , Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page