Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 447 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes
post #13381 of 13386 Old 03-22-2017, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Yeah, CRT really spoils us for the deep dark blacks. OLED is the only format superior to CRT at that, tho intelligent backlighting in panels comes in a close second to CRT. FALD - Field Array Light Dimming - is not available on the cheap flat panels, tho. You pay extra for that.

You pay extra for any modality that even approaches the deep inky blacks of CRT, and with OLED you pay even more, a lot more. If you have a CRT and are considering moving it on, keep that in mind - you'll pay extra for anything approaching what CRT has always done without even breaking a sweat, when it comes to the deep dark inky blacks we CRT owners have grown to know and love.

It's even true out at the movies. Dolby Cinema is the only format out there that now delivers deep inky blacks; the regular 4K DLP projectors out there only deliver mid-dark grays because of the backlighting they use. With scenes that have brilliance the contrast ratio is OK. But whenever there are really dark scenes, the grays that have replaced the blacks of film really show thru, with much of the shadow detail obliterated.

Their Dolby Vision demo trailer has a great scene where it fades to black and stays that way for a little while. Then this wording appears:

"Yes, the projector is still on" Which these days always surprises me.

That never had to happen on film, which did excellent in the blacks, nor do we need that in our CRT displays. Our blacks have always been right up there with film blacks, and the transparency and depth they convey.

If you have fallen in love with CRT's deep dark blacks and don't want to go out and pay huge amounts of extra money, keep your set. With the kind of periodic maintenance it always should have had, those blacks will still thrill you with every viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	At Dolby Labs SF .jpg
Views:	22
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	2042841  

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Last edited by Mr Bob; 03-26-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13382 of 13386 Old 04-06-2017, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I arrived in Portland OR today for family ties, will be here till April 12th. Any CRT afficianados interested in getting together while I am here and tipping a few? Maybe showing off your display to one who has seen many, many of them and can tell you if yours is at its best performance? I am one of the few people who will honor your choice to keep yours in its center of attention spot in your viewing room in the face of time marching on, rather than jumping on new-design band wagons for the new and sometimes not nearly as good.

If you have a CRT based system, you know how long they are lasting. If you have had it cleaned and calibrated on its various levels in the past and know of its gleam and glisten and breathtaking depth, you know how dazzling these babies can still look, even at your set's current age. Yes, even now. If you want yours to last even longer and exhibit sparkle you may have yet to experience out of it, please contact me immediately and we'll make some plans. I still love my 73" and view it every chance I get (not nearly enough, seeing as how I do have to work for a living...) It is not aging, and has exactly the same bright, crisp picture as it has always had, even tho being over 10 years old now. It still has the moxie to put many other modalities - and displays - to shame. And deliver dazzling HD at all times.

Keeping your CRT - be it direct view or rear projection (or front projection if you still have one of those incredible ceiling projectors) - alive and kicking is not only the least expensive avenue of attack for keeping its level of quality alive and well in your video viewing. In many cases it delivers performance that can't be beat by whatever you had in mind to replace it. Accurate and lifelike color-drenched movies, distinct shadow detail in your dark areas, gleam and glisten in your dynamic punch that is still breathtaking, especially compared to most of today's backlit displays.

Most people have no idea how much improvement can be made just from having the USER settings on their displays set to stealth levels. I have created many happy campers just from redoing their User settings. I am kind of like Johnny Appleseed on that one...

Many of you have seen my YouTube videos, at channel Mrbobbigscreen (just search out Mr Bob at YouTube). Many of you have read the more than 30 semi-hidden reviews in the Not currently recommended section of Yelp, where most of my best reviews have gone because I don't advertise with Yelp (each one 100% authentic and each one 5-star). I'll be here in Portland till the 12th. If you live in or around Portland OR, please allow me to show you what you may very well be missing.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 04-06-2017 at 09:47 PM.
post #13383 of 13386 Old 04-11-2017, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Warm up period

I just posted this in another thread re. OLED, but it contains an element that is crucial for CRT RPTVs, so I thought I would reprint it here -

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
I am in Prescott, AZ, about 2 hrs from Phoenix. I just got an LG OLED65E6P and am interested in having it calibrated once I have enough break in hours on it (how many do I need?). Thanks in advance!
100 hours of viewing time is the commonly accepted timeframe. It comes from when CRT RPTVs had convergence circuits that would need to "burn in" over time to finally lose their constant drifting, and finally get completely stable once fully warmed up from dead cold (usually about 45 minutes from turn-on after being off overnight).

This 45 minute warm-up period from dead cold to get your highest precision convergence with each viewing still applies on all CRT RPTVs, it's simply nature of the beast. If you have some critical viewing ahead of you, you turn it on 45 minutes ahead of time and let it warm up. If you don't want needless wear and tear on your guns, you change the input to a blank one for that warm up period, so your screen will be all black in the interim.

It does not apply on any other modality tho, including OLED. Good to go upon turn-on.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13384 of 13386 Old 04-11-2017, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Portland OMSI

My bro and I just watched a documentary at OMSI, Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. I had not been there in a long time, and the 270 degree dome OMNIMAX theater they used to have there is no more. But on the side of one of their buildings they had in huge writing, Empirical Theater - The Biggest Screen in Portland. I know there are IMAX's in Portland, so this caught my fancy.

Down below they had Dolby Atmos for the sound.

They run this theater all day, showing not only documentaries but also first run movies. Last night they played Star Wars Rogue One at 7pm.

You might want to check it out, they have dual Christie 4K projectors in there, standard issue these days for mall movie houses, and the screen really is huge. Can't comment on the sound system right now, as I have not seen a first run movie there yet. When I was there for the documentary, tho, they did say that Rogue One would be playing in full-on Dolby Atmos, the new 64 channel format from Dolby. Lamentably I could not make the showing and the only other showing will be on Thursday, after I have gone back to CA.

You can find a listing of their showings here, once you have a free account there -

https://www.ticketing.omsi.edu/ItemL...x?node_id=1090

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 04-11-2017 at 08:41 AM.
post #13385 of 13386 Old 04-11-2017, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

At 11am today they are showing Journey To Space, narrated by Patrick Stewart.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13386 of 13386 Unread Today, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Some further clarification -

There are no more IMAX's in Portland anymore, according to the guy supervising the showing at OMSI the day I watched the Patrick Stewart documentary on Space. That does leave this screen as the biggest screen in Portland.

It is also a white screen rather than a gray screen, allowing it to be noticeably brighter than the typical mall theater gray screen, for 3D movies. 3D movies cut out half the light, causing a comparatively dim picture whenever it's 3D on a typical gray screen.

Not so here. Bright and glorious! Blacks not quite as deep and rich as they would be on a gray screen with reflective modality like all standard issue mall DLP projectors in mall theaters these days, but the contrast ratio is still excellent with these Chrisitie's.

The OMSI Empirical theater should be noticeably better for 3D than out at the typical mall theaters. Couldn't catch a 3D movie there on this trip, but will be sure to try for that next trip to Portland.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; Today at 10:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
convergence , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite , pioneer sd-p5181-k , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread