Does my Samsung 50" DLP need an extended warranty? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-07-2006, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi - first post here. I hope I'm posting this in the right forum, and I hope my mentioning my local store's price doesn't violate the forum's guidelines.

I just purchased a Samsung HL-S5087W 50" DLP rear projection HDTV, and wow, I gotta say, I'm in LOVE! We bought it from a local dealer when we found out it was $300 less than Circuit City's super-duper Fourth of July Sale price.

The salesman offered me a "five-year" (you know, four years on top of Samsung's one year) extended warranty for $259. Circuit City wanted $299 (I think it was) for a "two-year" warranty (1+1), but the CC warranty included one free bulb replacement and the local store's "5-year" warranty did not. In addition to this, my salesman said he expects the price on bulbs to drop by about half in the next year or so.

Most of what I've heard is, if something is going to go wrong, it will go wrong in the first 90 days, so I generally don't buy extended warranties on electronics. My main exceptions to this rule have been items that are going to see rough use, like portables. I did buy an extended warranty for my iBook that paid for itself several times over - two new motherboards outside of warranty!

I know pretty much zero about HDTV and DLP technology in particular. What do y'all think? Should I buy the extended warranty? I've got a 30 day window to decide.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and comments...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-07-2006, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 38
All microdisplays (DLP, LCD, LCOS) really need EWs. There is much that can go wrong, and it's not just the 1st 90 days (color wheel, light engine, bulb).
post #3 of 4 Old 07-08-2006, 11:19 PM

Get.
The.
Warranty.

Really.

Depending on which component decides to fail, you're looking at a $500 - $1200 repair bill.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-09-2006, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, BillP and audioAPE, for the info. Sound like I will definitely get an EW. Does this particular deal sound good? ($259 for 4 additional years, repl. bulb NOT included) Or are there "outside" EWs available that are even better?

Thanks again!
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page