New Type Of HD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-08-2006, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I herd that a new type of HD will be releasing, something about it using L.E.D's I believe its Samsung whos releasing this new product, but does any one know when its schedule to release? and/or know more information about this new product?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

I thought that Akai was going to be the first to release an LED DLP television, but I belive I had heard that Samsung would have one also. Ultimately, all the manufacturers will be going to this technology.

It uses LED's as the light source for rear projection DLP televisions instead of the bulb. The positives are that it is a whiter light, with a much longer life expectancy than the bulbs being used now. Also, I believe that it will eliminate the color wheel, because they can use colored LED's.

That being said, it seems that sales of all the rear projection televisions, DLP, HD-ILA and LCD are dropping off very quickly. It is becoming a flat panel world. I vaguely recall some talk about LED flat panel TV's, but nothing specific.

Mike K.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The replacement bulb kills the RPTV market, the price keeps them going.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-09-2006, 03:55 AM

Liked: 11
It seems to me that the high-end customer is going flat-panel, just in time for the general public to start buying HDTVs in large numbers, and they'll be buying the lower-priced micro-displays, like DLPs.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-09-2006, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypimp954
I herd that a new type of HD will be releasing, something about it using L.E.D's I believe its Samsung whos releasing this new product, but does any one know when its schedule to release? and/or know more information about this new product?
I think your confusing the display technology verus a format display on it. The most talked about DLP is the Samsung HLS5679 using LED lamp system which is 42 times faster than current DLP thus preventing RBE which is common with DLP's with a percentage of the viewing public. Many are looking forward to this and a Lamp system with a 20,000 hour+ life since LED does not and cannot burnout - they last until the semiconductors wear out. So this is not a new HD Format but rather a new type Display light projection to present HD 720P, 1080i/P. I'm a believer in what LED offers and looking forward to seeing if presents cleaner precise colors.

There are other HD formats that go far beyond our present 1080P Holy Grail that have been successfully tested in Japan but may be 5-10 years away from the marketplace and panel maker Chei Mei in partnership with Westinghouse had a Quad 1080P LCD FP at CES 2006 and other International Trade Shows. :)
--------------------------------------------------

In what could be a precursor to the cinema of the future, Sony, NEC and Canon (among others) have teamed up to create some remarkable sights and sounds for the Expo 2005 show in Aichi Japan.
Another attraction dubbed the "Super High-Vision Theater" uses "The world's first super high-definition image system" which is used to screen another set of shorts called "A Hymn to Life" and another piece described as a "visual poem". The hardware used is said to offer 16 times the resolution of high definition, although I have no earthly idea how this footage was captured, it certainly sounds breath taking. Not to be outdone by the laser theater, the SHV Theater incorporates 22.2 channels of three-dimensional audio, with active acoustic management. http://www.expo2005.or.jp/en/venue/g/globalhouse_01.jpg

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page