new tv with scratches? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Rear Projection Units > new tv with scratches?

Rear Projection Units

moonstation2000's Avatar moonstation2000
10:37 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 12
07-14-2006 | Posts: 4
After lurking on here for a week or so I decided to buy a hitachi 51f59 from sears. Thanks to everyone for all the info!

Problem is that when i got the set home yesterday and opened up the packaging i found that the screw access holes on the rear or the set (the ones that access the screws that would be removed in order to take off the screen) were all scratched up as though the screen had been taken off. There were also a few misc. scratches on the back. Everything else looks new. The bag that holds the remote and instruction manual is unopened. The packaging looked brand new.

I called sears up and told them and they said that i could return the tv, but in their estimation the scratches are from the factory assembly process, and are normal for large screen tv's.

I was wondering how many other perople with this or any other tv see scratches in the screw holes of their tvs?
piturra's Avatar piturra
12:13 PM Liked: 11
post #2 of 12
07-14-2006 | Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstation2000

I was wondering how many other perople with this or any other tv see scratches in the screw holes of their tvs?
It's unfortunate that your HDTV was scratched-up around the HDTV screen bezel mounting holes, ... so much for Quality Control!!! I'd be upset like you and I would also request another HDTV!!! Hopefully they're wrong about ...

Quote:
...scratches are from the factory assembly process, and are normal for large screen tv's.
When I received my Toshiba 1080p 56HM195 56" HDTV on Feb. 1, 2006, shipped by truck to me from Amazon.com (yep, ... just in time for the Super Bowl!), ... I removed my packaging, and examined the HDTV cabinet for damage, scratches and fingerprints. What I saw was what I'd expect after it was Q.C.'d prior to packaging, ... an HDTV cabinet / screen that's clean, w/no scratches or finger prints & ready for the show room display. :)

Phil
mikefe25's Avatar mikefe25
12:17 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 12
07-14-2006 | Posts: 7
I was a professional a/v installer for 3 years and I never once saw anything like that on any of the plasmas I installed. Must have just been from the factory. Seems extremely rare considering I have never experienced this myself.
11:08 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 12
07-14-2006 | Posts: 4
Thanks for your help guys. I was pretty much expecting that the set should come in as good a condition as anything else i have ever bought (no marks).

But I went to sears today to talk to a manager and after I showed them the pics I had taken of the damage I took a look at their Hitachi 51f59 floor model. Turns out that the floor model had some scratches that resembled the ones on my set. I'm still really surprised that a brand new set should show any sign of damage, but now I'm starting to wonder if I might really have a new set after all.....

Any 51f59 owners out there?
Cro-man's Avatar Cro-man
06:58 AM Liked: 12
post #5 of 12
07-15-2006 | Posts: 122
Mine had scratches in the back also.
bslep's Avatar bslep
06:58 AM Liked: 18
post #6 of 12
07-15-2006 | Posts: 752
Quote:
Thanks for your help guys. I was pretty much expecting that the set should come in as good a condition as anything else i have ever bought (no marks).

But I went to sears today to talk to a manager and after I showed them the pics I had taken of the damage I took a look at their Hitachi 51f59 floor model. Turns out that the floor model had some scratches that resembled the ones on my set. I'm still really surprised that a brand new set should show any sign of damage, but now I'm starting to wonder if I might really have a new set after all.....

Any 51f59 owners out there?
Sounds like you may have received one of their returns.
ogbuehi's Avatar ogbuehi
07:36 AM Liked: 10
post #7 of 12
07-15-2006 | Posts: 4,044
I would be p*ssed. I would not expect that from a brand new set opened out of the box, and it would be going back right away. If they wouldn't take because of the scratches, I'd take it back under the 30 day return policy.
Cro-man's Avatar Cro-man
07:45 AM Liked: 12
post #8 of 12
What do you expect from a TV that is made in Mexico where the average worker is getting a few bucks an hour. Ever look in and under your car.

Atleast the area is in the back where it is hidden as long as nothing in front is scratched. True the scratches should not be there but it can make you think what else is let go or acceptable.
10:34 AM Liked: 10
post #9 of 12
07-15-2006 | Posts: 4
Yeah, the scratches really don't bother me. They are on the back and do not affect the function of the tv in any way. Sears has offered me money back because of the cosmetic damage.

My concern is that I have received a refurbished or returned item where someone has removed the screen for some reason. That is why I would like to know how many other people have had scratches in the screw access holes on brand new tvs.

I was really all set to return the tv, until my trip to Sears yesterday where I saw that the floor display model had some similar scratches. Now I'm just confused. I'm just trying to find out whether to keep this tv or return it.
Cro-man's Avatar Cro-man
10:43 AM Liked: 12
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Yeah, the scratches really don't bother me. They are on the back and do not affect the function of the tv in any way. Sears has offered me money back because of the cosmetic damage.

My concern is that I have received a refurbished or returned item where someone has removed the screen for some reason. That is why I would like to know how many other people have had scratches in the screw access holes on brand new tvs.

I was really all set to return the tv, until my trip to Sears yesterday where I saw that the floor display model had some similar scratches. Now I'm just confused. I'm just trying to find out whether to keep this tv or return it.
I wouldn't worry about it. If my tv, yours and the Sears model all have scratches it is safe to say that it is a normal thing on these tv's. If you feel unsure go and check out a circuit city or some place that has the same tv. I really am not worried because I purchased a 4 yr extended warranty.
06:54 PM Liked: 10
post #11 of 12
07-15-2006 | Posts: 4
So I went to sears again, they told me that they would take 10% off the price if I keep the set.

I called Hitachi and they told me that sears services all the sets that they sell, so sears will have a record of all refurbished or repaired items. I will be talking to sears again tomorrow and i will ask them for this info.

I think that I will end up keeping the set and taking the money back, the set has a build date of june 2006 so i'm hoping that it hasn't had time to be damaged and repaired. I am dissappointed in the sloppy build quality though. I've never bought anything before that has had any damage that i could see.
lovebuzz#836's Avatar lovebuzz#836
05:40 PM Liked: 12
post #12 of 12
07-17-2006 | Posts: 957
The way Sears gets such a great deal on products from the manufacturer's is they buy them without the manufacturer warranty. Sears assumes any and all responsibility for repairing the set during the designated "manufacturer warranty" period and I wouldn't doubt that part of this is the possibility that they get B-stock as well. Don't take it as fact, I don't know for sure.
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

Subscribe to this Thread