2007 Mitsubishi 57” and 65” 831 Owner's Thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 549 Old 09-14-2006, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsorbet View Post

hmmm...yeah, now that I look at it that way...it looks more well written. I'm no English major...

Or a minor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 549 Old 09-14-2006, 06:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFoley View Post

Is there a reason that Mitsubishi hasn't offered a 52-inch version of the 831? Can anyone comment if there might be a plan for such a set? I would love to consider the 57-inch but it is just a bit too wide for my entertainment center. A 52-inch version would likely fit perfectly.

If I remember they are only offering it in 57, 65, 73 inches.
post #273 of 549 Old 09-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Question for the current owners. My plasma is setting on a black wooden stand we got from best buy. I'm wondering if this would be able to hold the 65831.

I measured it and it's about 19 1/2" deep and almost 48" wide. It seems like it would barely fit by about 2" from what's been said above. I'll most likely keep it as close to the wall as possible as my viewing distance is only a little over 9ft and I want to maximize everything I can.

I'm also wondering about the weight....I wonder if the wooden stand can hold the weight? My 42" panny plasma is on it now.

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
post #274 of 549 Old 09-14-2006, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

Best Buy owns Magnolia and only the Magnolias which are separated physically from BB stores (which implies on the west coast) will carry the 831.
I'd purchase the Toshiba A1 HD-DVD player for ~$420 over the Oppo. Go visit the HD-DVD players forum. SD Dvd only players are practically obsolete especially for those purchasing a display with as high of performance as the 831. These HD discs must look outstanding on the 831

I'm not sure this is entirely true. He showed me the sheet, or whatever you call it, and even showed me the spot. This Magnolia was just finished so maybe this is the exception. As far as DVD players, when i get the 831 i'll be using my computer for DVD's.
post #275 of 549 Old 09-14-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweyer View Post

unique123456,

I'm in the market for an HDTV antenna also, which one did you end up getting?

I got the RCA Amplified HDTV Antenna (RCA 301) from UE it was like $24 and change. super easy hook up and PQ is near perfection.
post #276 of 549 Old 09-14-2006, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorick View Post

Even though my 65831 isn't due to arrive for another 10-14 days I got to see one in person for the first time today. Wow! It was set up right next to a 732 and they were running the Mits 1080P feed which always makes these sets look incredible. I changed them both to "natural" and turned off Sharp Edge and DFI, put the Video Noise setting on "low" and left the other settings as they were. This showroom had some funky overhead lighting that I think made it harder to notice huge differences between the two. The 2 things that stood out the most, though, were the whites in the 831. They were very noticeably whiter than on the 732 (I guess we'd expect that with high contrast screen technology) and of course the picture was a little brighter, as you'd expect with the 180 vs 150W bulb. I personally didn't notice as much of a difference in the blacks/shadows....but most of that Mits 1080P feed is of pretty bright stuff. Anyway.....can't wait for mine!

Regarding the upconverting DVDs. I know the Oppo gets fabulous grades...and others say not all upconverting DVD players are equal....but what specifically do people notice differently on the $200 Oppo vs the cheaper ones, like the $69 Toshiba one that Costco sells (and which I bought but haven't used yet). Hopefully these aren't the same people that still think their $120 Monster HDMI cable is going to outperform the $6 HDMI cable I got from monoprice.com.

Whites on the 732 are truer with DFI on, though it sounds like DFI isn't necessary with the 831.

Go Duke !
post #277 of 549 Old 09-14-2006, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

All AVS Club Members looking for an 831 welcome to drop by and view/post pricing here where it's allowed to be discussed.
post #278 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unique123456 View Post

I got the RCA Amplified HDTV Antenna (RCA 301) from UE it was like $24 and change. super easy hook up and PQ is near perfection.

Thanks Unique. I don't have UE near me but I see Best Buy carries that same antenna. They also had this one that seems to have even more signal boost for only a few dollars more. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1122653825071 - I was curious where you put yours. Does it fit on top of the TV (not sure I want to be looking at it, though) or can you semi-hide it and still get good quality OTA reception? Thanks.
post #279 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 09:23 AM

This could be a dumb question, so I am ready for ridicule...

At the place I am renting until my house is complete, she only has basic, basic cable. Next weekend the guy is coming to hook up a cable box and HDTV. But I will have over a week before I get more than those 12 channels. I see stuff about the OTA HDTV antennas and now I am interested, however, do you have to hook it into an existing box or can you plug it right into the 65831 and have HDTV. I am going to assume you need a box but if you can just plug it into the tv, then I will buy one at BB on my lunch break. While we are at it, which is a good antenna to buy? If it gets a better signal than the box anyway, I might as well get one even after cable is installed. If someone could teach me a bit about this subject and if it can just be plugged into the tv that would be awesome!

Thank you!
post #280 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

gtsorbet,

The TV has its own NTSC, ATSC and QAM tuners. The NTSC tuner can tune in OTA SD broadcast channels. The ATSC tuner can tune in OTA HD broadcast channels. The QAM tuner can tune in both SD and HD cable channels--provided they're not also encrypted. Usually, the only cable channels that are encrypted are the "premium" channels for which you pay extra, not the ones offered for basic service.

The QAM tuner will not only handle HD, it will also handle digital SD--which is probably being transmitted over the cable, whether you've signed up for digital service or not. The same may be true of the HD channels.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #281 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 10:13 AM

sourcery-

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but I guess it still deals with the xx831 tv. So, if I bought an antenna and plugged it into my tv it would work, perfect. Now are there any good antennas that are fairly inexpensive? I just looked at BB and saw RCA indoor ones for $30, $34, $54 and $63. Does price dictate quality like usual? Would it be worth buying the $63 one or can I get away with the $54 one? I am clueless about antennas and it's interesting HDTV can be "grabbed" out of the air!

Thanks.
post #282 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

I'm also curious about this? I want to make sure I understand this as well. Is it correct that you could plug in the antenna into the set and pic up HD NBC or whatever for free if available?

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
post #283 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 10:35 AM

I so knew I wasn't the only one completely clueless on this cool way to receive HDTV!
post #284 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

In reading some of the posts in the HDTV area about antenna's it sounds like most have an antenna outside.

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
post #285 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlu929s View Post

In reading some of the posts in the HDTV area about antenna's it sounds like most have an antenna outside.

On the previous page "uniquexxxx" mentioned that he had purchased the RCA ANT301. BB carries that for $27 (look under amplified antennas instead of HD Antennas). He said it worked great for picking up local HD stations. I also saw the RCA ANT525 for $34 that had a higher signal boost so I may just get that one since it's also very cheap. I think it's a completely stand alone deal....just coax into the TV's ANT1 or ANT2 slots and "voila".....HD local channels....plus whatever else it will pick up. You can go to antennaweb.org and plug in your zip code and it will tell you the channels you can expect to pick up. The listing there is based on outdoor antennas but you can assume you'll receive signals in the same order of strength from top to bottom with your indoor version. Because OTA signals are not compressed this should actually give us better PQ than using our STBs. Plus, once you've made this simple connection, you now have a good 2nd input that will allow you to use your PIP feature.
post #286 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Sweet, Well that's good to know! I guess then my next question would go along with gtsorbet in is it neccassary to buy the expensive ones for a better signal.

I would also assume you TV would need some kind of internal tuner. For instance my Plasma which is the commerical model probably wouldn't pick it up without a box of some sort.

Is that correct?

EDIT: I realize though that the 831 comes with one as posted above. Just wondering if I could go get one and see local HD channels while I wait for my 831.

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
post #287 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

I would also assume you TV would need some kind of internal tuner.

Or a HD OTA STB tuner if your TV is HD "ready" which means it doesn't have it's own HD tuner.
post #288 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 12:01 PM

Has any one who ordered from ABT heard any new delivery information?

CHAS ZOSS OPPO EAP 2nd ROUND late entry!
post #289 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAS ZOSS View Post

NO! Those bums! I just yelled at them 10 minutes ago. They were supposed to get their first 20 in today. The customer service rep said they don't show up in their system yet. So I said, "well, then go check with shipping, it can't be that hard to get exact status with modern tracking technology!". He said he would do that and get back to me soon. I'll repost when I hear more. Errrr!!!!
post #290 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:

NO! Those bums! I just yelled at them 10 minutes ago. They were supposed to get their first 20 in today. The customer service rep said they don't show up in their system yet. So I said, "well, then go check with shipping, it can't be that hard to get exact status with modern tracking technology!". He said he would do that and get back to me soon. I'll repost when I hear more. Errrr!!!!

Another perfect example of the horrible customer service from Abt which drove me away and cancel my preorder from them. I'm so glad I went with Walt's TV since I've had my 65831 for a few days now. Who knows how long I would still be waiting if I were still with Abt. I'm really sorry to hear you guys are getting treated like this from Abt. You truely are missing out on the 831 TVs since they are amazing!
post #291 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitterguy73 View Post

Another perfect example of the horrible customer service from Abt which drove me away and cancel my preorder from them. I'm so glad I went with Walt's TV since I've had my 65831 for a few days now. Who knows how long I would still be waiting if I were still with Abt. I'm really sorry to hear you guys are getting treated like this from Abt. You truely are missing out on the 831 TVs since they are amazing!

New Man Law: No kicking a guy when he's down waiting for his 831.
post #292 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 01:32 PM

Just got off the phone with Tweeter in Delaware. My Sept 12th shipment date for 65831 has been pushed back to Sept 29. I think others have gotten this same sad info. Uggghhhh............ I hate waiting, Unfortunately, Tweeter is my only local option.

Frank
post #293 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

New Man Law: No kicking a guy when he's down waiting for his 831.

I'll second the motion. After all, I just found out my local Magnolia did not receive their shipment of 65831s today, contrary to their expectations. They only expect a few days delay, however.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #294 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAS ZOSS View Post

Chas, can you also call them up and tell them to look up the specific tracking info and have them tell you exactly where those first 20 sets are. I'm sure they'll at least get us some accurate info if enough of us give 'em hell. Walts and Tweeter couldn't come within $400 of the price I got from ABT (I even rechecked with both today once ABT said they weren't there yet) so I'm stuck waiting.
post #295 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 02:32 PM

During my lunch hour I stopped by the ever-too-convenient Fry's so I could check out what they had. They had a RCA 525 I believe is the model number [about $35] and I hooked it up and rested it on a chair next to my tv. Not having a clue which way south was [apparently every channel I need comes from the south for me] I arbitrarily positioned it. Lucky for me all that was on the HD local channels were either soap operas in SD or some freaky piano lesson thing in HD on the public channel thingy...I hope no one really watches that show.
Anyway, no too shocked the regular channels were a battle between fuzz and a B&W picture [fuzz had it by a long shot], but when I hit an HD feed, it came in real well. I am sure I can aim it better and get it off the chair but for just plug-n-play, it worked well.
My only gripe...the 6ft cable...well, it's built in to the unit. That gives you a good 2 feet [maybe] to put it somewhere not on a chair pushed against the tv...can you lengthen the cable without messing up the feed? [is it kinda like a CB radio?] Either way, if this really ends up having a better picture for local HD channels compared to cable, that thing was worth it's weight in gold. For $30 it's worth it just to see people react to you carrying around and buying a set of glorified rabbit ears!

Was that any help?
post #296 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 03:45 PM

My Tweeter dealer in Cary, NC told me today that their 831s have not come in yet, they were originally scheduled for this past Wednesday, now they are going to be a few weeks longer. Maybe the truckers are reading this forum and deciding to take them home instead...
post #297 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

EDIT: I realize though that the 831 comes with one as posted above. Just wondering if I could go get one and see local HD channels while I wait for my 831.

You still need the TV...

Dave

post #298 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDeveloperDave View Post

My Tweeter dealer in Cary, NC told me today that their 831s have not come in yet, they were originally scheduled for this past Wednesday, now they are going to be a few weeks longer. Maybe the truckers are reading this forum and deciding to take them home instead...

I called the same store last saturday.. Guy said they had one on the show floor.
So I drag the wife over there, and of course the guy was mistaken.

Hope to have better luck this weekend
post #299 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDeveloperDave View Post

I called the same store last saturday.. Guy said they had one on the show floor.
So I drag the wife over there, and of course the guy was mistaken.

Hope to have better luck this weekend
post #300 of 549 Old 09-15-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:

Chas, can you also call them up and tell them to look up the specific tracking info and have them tell you exactly where those first 20 sets are. I'm sure they'll at least get us some accurate info if enough of us give 'em hell. Walts and Tweeter couldn't come within $400 of the price I got from ABT (I even rechecked with both today once ABT said they weren't there yet) so I'm stuck waiting.

Well I would call them but I am in Guam working till the 23rd.

CHAS ZOSS OPPO EAP 2nd ROUND late entry!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page