AVS Forum banner

Samsung 71' 1080P DLP HL-S7178W (owners)

234K views 2K replies 218 participants last post by  Robert Saccone 
#1 ·
Just bought the new Samsung 71' 1080P DLP HL-S7178W and can't wait to get it. Should be here tomorrow!

Suppose to be the 1st Samsung with both 1080P input and output...

Any comments on the picture or anything else?

#902 ·
Yeah, I'm really really disappointed. Nothing more than some bad luck I suppose. I'm having the TV shop that Samsung authorized for the warranty repair come out ASAP to determine if it's a minor problem (hopefully) or if it's a defective unit.

If it's major I'll definitely make sure Vanns replaces it, if it's minor then hopefully a simple repair is all it needs.

#905 ·
Hello everybody,

Finally got my new light engine installed which fixed my previous problem but now i see a really small black spot on the screen (looks like a piece of lent or dust) that probably nobody would notice but me but my eyes seem to be glued to it and it feels like it is growing..

I dont know whether i should call and have them come back out to fix a piece of dust or whatever it is that got in there or just leave it like it is and be happy the tv works and doesnt shut off. Im just so frustrated that i cant get everything perfect but am i just being too picky?

#906 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busacrazy7 /forum/post/0

Hello everybody,

Finally got my new light engine installed which fixed my previous problem but now i see a really small black spot on the screen (looks like a piece of lent or dust) that probably nobody would notice but me but my eyes seem to be glued to it and it feels like it is growing..

I dont know whether i should call and have them come back out to fix a piece of dust or whatever it is that got in there or just leave it like it is and be happy the tv works and doesnt shut off. Im just so frustrated that i cant get everything perfect but am i just being too picky?

Good to hear the light engine was fixed. It's a new tv and you spent good money for it and you should be happy with your purchase. If it was my set, I would see what's involved with correcting the problem. If it involves having to diassemble the screen glass to clean it, you will have to decide if it's worth the hassle and if the service people are up to the task. Swapping the out light engine is a relatively easy job compared to taking apart the screen imo.

#907 ·
Are dust spots or little things of that nature common. Where would the dust/dirt be? Cause it wasnt there before the light engine swap so im guessing it got in there during. Is that something i can do on my own or should i call the tech. I watched the light engine swap and i could of done that in my sleep...

#908 ·

Quote:
Are dust spots or little things of that nature common. Where would the dust/dirt be? Cause it wasnt there before the light engine swap so im guessing it got in there during. Is that something i can do on my own or should i call the tech. I watched the light engine swap and i could of done that in my sleep...

Spots, smudges, etc. probably occured during the assembly process. It has been mentioned in other Samsung threads. And you probably could do this yourself but it will/may require the assistantance another person to handle the screen. One of the calibrator dudes wrote in depth, the procedure. Search it. But if the spot wasn't there prior to the light engine fix, call the service people and have them fix it.(?)

Quote:
I watched the light engine swap and i could of done that in my sleep...

If you should ever need to have the light engine replaced in the future, and you do it yourself, you just saved about $400!!

#909 ·
Hey All,

I am joining the family on 7178 owners, and I am super-pumped about it. I was thinking about buying around the Superbowl, upgrading from a Mitsubishi 65905 (bought in Jan 2001, it only does 1080i thru one component connection on the back). Found an awesome deal online for $3300, so I promptly pulled the trigger and also got a 3 year extended warrenty. The set is suppose to arrive next Wednesday as a late Christmas present for me.

How long should I wait before having it calibrated? Anyone know a good calibrator in the Northern California area?

Thanks!

Don

#911 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearth /forum/post/0

Hey All,

I am joining the family on 7178 owners, and I am super-pumped about it. I was thinking about buying around the Superbowl, upgrading from a Mitsubishi 65905 (bought in Jan 2001, it only does 1080i thru one component connection on the back). Found an awesome deal online for $3300, so I promptly pulled the trigger and also got a 3 year extended warrenty. The set is suppose to arrive next Wednesday as a late Christmas present for me.

How long should I wait before having it calibrated? Anyone know a good calibrator in the Northern California area?

Thanks!

Don

Welcome to Team 7178!

$3300 shipped? Great deal.

The usual waiting period before calibrating is about 100hrs. David of avical is one possiblity. UMA(Jeff) travels to Ca. There others as well. I'm leaning towards having UMA tweak my 7178. He has a Samsung hlsxxxx, I believe.

#912 ·

Quote:

Wait long enough to be sure you are not going to have an early failure.

Northern California is a big area. UMR and David Abrams travel through Northern California on a regular basis. Check the owners list that is linked at the bottom of my post for information. You can contact them or any other calibrator that's a member of AVS from information in the list.

#913 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan /forum/post/0

Welcome to Team 7178!

$3300 shipped? Great deal.

The usual waiting period before calibrating is about 100hrs. David of avical is one possiblity. UMA(Jeff) travels to Ca. There others as well. I'm leaning towards having UMA tweak my 7178. He has a Samsung hlsxxxx, I believe.

Jeff's user name is UMR and he has a Samsung HL-S6188 which is the same light engine as the HL-S7178. David Abrams has an "88" model too.

#914 ·
I am going to OWN one of these 71" Beauties by the end of March........

#915 ·

Quote:

Hey All,

Thanks!

Don
hearth

Congratulations on joining the list of 7178 owners! In terms of a calibration... You will want to wait approximately 50 hours of use or several weeks. Basically, you will want enough use on the display to know that it isn't a lemon. For the most part, we have found that if there is an issue with the display it usually presents early on; however, that doesn't mean that something can't go wrong later down the road - let's hope not though

We regularly service the Northern California area and would be happy to assist you with the calibration of your display device. For more information/details please visit our website.

Regards,

Dave

#916 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStrongo /forum/post/0

My avical review...

I obviously have a Samsung HLS-7178W DLP rear projection set. I have a series 3 tivo (hd dvr with cable cards) and toshiba a1 hd-dvd connected via hdmi inputs. My Xbox 360 is connected via component.

I calibrated the set initially with DVE, but knew that I needed more. So, I researched here and chose avical to do the calibration (David performed it). I did so based on the reviews here. Thanks everyone!

I knew the change would be good, but not as drastic as it was. It was a night and day difference on my sammy. HD broadcasts look ALOT better now. I dont see as much pixelation (usually due to broadcast compression) and the colors are dead on (when before I was never completely satisfied).

A big change in my opinion was the grass during football games (fleshtones were another issue). I was always tweaking the user menus to get an accurate color, but was always slightly disappointed. After the calibration, it looked completely accurate.

The changes to the xbox 360 and hd-dvd were more evident on color temp and black levels. The black levels and color are super! I popped in Batman Begins and I must say, it was astounding.

I cannot recommend avical more highly. Im a perfectionist when it comes to picture quality and my expectations definately were exceeded!

Along with probably being some of, if not, the best in the country at video calibration, they are hella nice guys too. Im sure ill be using them for years to come.

Thanks to David and Eliab!!

RockStrongo[/b}

Thank you for your kind words. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your calibrated system. One thing that will make your experience even better, would be to sit further way
.... But you already know this. Let me know how the move goes and how the theater comes together

Best,

Dave

#920 ·
OK...I'm not an owner yet...and I haven't quite figured out how these threads work, so I'll take a chance and post here.

I've been checking out 60"+ tvs, and was just about ready to pull the plug on the 65" Panny Plasma...BUT, after walking through a local store, my husband fell in love with the Sammy 71" DLP. Since he's taken no interest so far, this was quite a coup. Needless to say, after reading every comment in this thread, I'm ready to pull the plug. Will probably do so in mid-January.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input in this thread...I'll post back once I am a real "owner."

#922 ·
Hello, new to the thread and have a PC port/Xbox 360 Question. I just picked up my HL-S7178W two weeks ago and immediately changed my 360 to a VGA input. I also received the 360 HD-DVD player a couple of weeks prior. My problem is that the blue levels (and maybe green) are too high when watching DVDs and HD-DVDs. It is very apparent on white and grey surfaces on screen. I've used settings other people have posted on this thread for their 360s, but they may be using the component input, as this has made no difference. Changing modes to change color tone has also had no effect, nor has raising the red setting in color weakness. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bradrcr

#925 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradrcr /forum/post/0

Sorry, text is not an option. However, I did go into the service menu and raised the blue gain to 164. Seems to have done the trick with some other fine tuning in the standard menu.

Before making any changes, I would have made sure that the cable was making good contact. The voltage for no color input is 0.0V to 0.6v for max color. A little "dirt" on the contacts have a profound effect on the display.

Carl

#926 ·
Hi all,

Got my 7178 a week earlier than expected (due to a shipping mistake that actually went in my favor for a change!!). I spent almost the entire weekend getting my system and am thrilled so far with it. I got alot of complements with the extended family over this morning.

One issue that I am having so far is that I am getting a green line on the left side of my screen with my Panasonic DVD recorder hooked up via the HDMI2 port. Does anyone have an idea what might cause such an issue?

By the way, thanks for the recommendations on calibrators! I live in the Sacramento area and will be contacting David in a couple of months...

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.