AVS Forum banner

Samsung 71' 1080P DLP HL-S7178W (owners)

234K views 2K replies 218 participants last post by  Robert Saccone 
#1 ·
Just bought the new Samsung 71' 1080P DLP HL-S7178W and can't wait to get it. Should be here tomorrow!

Suppose to be the 1st Samsung with both 1080P input and output...

Any comments on the picture or anything else?

#952 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Porkula /forum/post/0

But in the mean time, I've been wanting to dial down the red but I notice the detail red setting does nothing (nor do any of the other color adjustments in the user menu). Anyone else experienced this?? Am I doing something wrong???

Start here, but don't overlook the Tutorial link.

Eliab's starting settings and tutorial.

#953 ·
Thank you, htwaits. I tried those and it seems to help. I contacted Eliab/Dave's sight and left them a note so hopefully they'll call/email soon so I can set up an appt. for their upcoming tour of the southeast. Last night while watching the new Omen on SD DVD, all the people had blue eyes (their scleras were blue). A calibration is clearly in order.

So, I guess I'm not crazy with the whole color adjustment not working. If Samsung can make a TV w/ a picture this sharp and beautiful, how did they overlook such an obvious problem.

Thanks again!

#956 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus312 /forum/post/0

I'm just about ready to purchase this TV, but haven't made any decision about a stand. Do I need to find something temporary to put it on, or can it just sit on the floor for a while?

I was in the same situation. I'd been using a coffee table for my old Toshiba 62" DLP. I was afraid this 71" monstrosity wouldn't fit on it but the TV has a small support base which is only about 1/2 or 2/3 the width of the whole TV. So if you have a small stand you can get by with it for a while until you find one you like.

#957 ·

Quote:

So, I guess I'm not crazy with the whole color adjustment not working. If Samsung can make a TV w/ a picture this sharp and beautiful, how did they overlook such an obvious problem.

Thanks again!

To add to your confusion -- it's not just Samsung. All TVs come from the factory setup to shout at you (intense blues) in a showroom. If your TV room at home doesn't look like BB's showrooms then you will need some form of calibration.

#958 ·

Quote:

I was in the same situation. I'd been using a coffee table for my old Toshiba 62" DLP. I was afraid this 71" monstrosity wouldn't fit on it but the TV has a small support base which is only about 1/2 or 2/3 the width of the whole TV. So if you have a small stand you can get by with it for a while until you find one you like.

Thanks! Happen to have the dimensions of the support base?

#959 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsjet /forum/post/0

As I posted earlier, I had a problem with the brightness of my set. All was working great for months, then one day the screen was 70% darker. I could see it wasn't the bulb because the pcture was bright about 2"-3" inches on the right side. I thought it was a piece of paper that fell covering part of the lamp, but the tech said it was prob. a mirror that moved.

Anyway, I'm not sure the cause but here are some pictures for you I thought you might like to see.

The problem was fixed with a new light engine....... Though good thing I still had the 46" tv to wheel in..lol

David Abrams - I didn't get your email........ thanks for trying

Looks like I'm next in line to exp. issues with lighting.

Purchased set in mid August, has been used extensively (7-8 hrs/day on avg).

There's a column on the far right edge of my set that is barely being lit.

I've attached pics for anyone who might be able to help identify the problem.

Thanks!

#960 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus312 /forum/post/0

Thanks! Happen to have the dimensions of the support base?

Sure thing. Its 29" wide by 18" deep and it is a rectangular shape (as opposed to a funky trapezoid shape.).

I bought a stand yesterday from Best Buy. Its a Bush metal and glass stand.

I attached a close-up pic of the base. Hopefully you can make it out okay. If not, PM me and I'll email you the full sized images.

#961 ·

Quote:

Sure thing. Its 29" wide by 18" deep and it is a rectangular shape (as opposed to a funky trapezoid shape.).

I bought a stand yesterday from Best Buy. Its a Bush metal and glass stand.

I attached a close-up pic of the base. Hopefully you can make it out okay. If not, PM me and I'll email you the full sized images.

Thanks again, that helps a lot!

#962 ·
I searched and could not find anything on this topic so I am hoping someone can help. I have a 7178 which I have connected to my Denon A/V receiver via optical cable so that I can get Dolby Digital playback for OTA via the built in tuner. That connection works great so I assumed (my first mistake?) that all audio sources connected directly to the 7178 would use that optical connection, particularly my new HD camcorder I have connected via Firewire (Canon HV10 - awesome little HD camcorder). The video via the Firewire hookup looks incredible but I get no audio through my A/V sound system. I can hear audio from the camcorder through the TV speakers so I know the audio is being sent to the 7178 via Firewire, but I really do not want to use the TV speakers if I do not have to. Is this set not capable of passing audio via optical out from other inputs besides the built in tuner?

Joe

#963 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo Joe /forum/post/0

Is this set not capable of passing audio via optical out from other inputs besides the built in tuner?

Joe

It can, but im not surprised it is having a problem.

I had my Tivo series 3 connected to the hdmi input on the tv and was letting the optical out from the tv go to the receiver for sound.

Sometimes I would get no sound. Turning the set or tivo on/off wouldnt work neither would cycling the input on the receiver. After some time (10-15 minutes) it would finally work.

So, I just connected the Tivo directly to the receiver via optical to avoid this problem.

#965 ·
Hi all...

I'm about a month away from placing my order for the 7178. I have been visiting Magnolia about once a week for the last 2 months comparing it to the Mitz 73"...and this in my opinion is a clear winner.

Currently looking for a stand. Want furniture (wood), and not metal and glass. This is going in our living room, and so my wife and I are wanting a nice furniture grade stand for it.

I found this which we both like:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...key=cfurabstvs

Its 65" wide, so there will be a little less than half inch over-hang on each side. My main concern is height. The stand is 27" tall, which is a little taller than I would like. However, the main seating area is around 15 to 18 feet away (its a big room - hence the need for a BIG TV!
)

Using orange electrical tape, I have taped markings on the wall for top of stand (bottom of TV) and top of TV. Sitting on the couch and looking at that area...it doesn't look too bad in regards to screen height....just not sure. One thing is for sure...this TV must be HUGE!!!

Anyhow, wanted to see about getting some owner opinions. Anyone have theirs on a stand of this height (i.e. between 25 and 30 inches)? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance! Oh, and I have loved reading this thread...great info!

#968 ·
I just received my TR71B stand so now I am looking to remove the plastic support base that came on the bottom of my 7178. I found and removed the two screws in the back then tried wiggling pushing and pulling the two tabs but the base seems to be secured through some other way that I am completely missing. If anyone could drop me a few pointers it would be much appreciated!

I also scoured the owner's manual and the forums here and it seems like no one else is having the same problem as me so its probably something really obvious....

#970 ·
mine does this as well.... only happens about 30 min after the TV was turned off....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeh /forum/post/0

I'm having a little problem with this set and was hoping that someone has a solution... Every once in a while when the set is on (maybe 2-3 times an hour) I get a loud cracking noise coming out of the back of the set. It sometimes happens within an hour of turning off the set. This has been happening ever since I got the TV and I thought that maybe the plastic is expanding from the heat produced from the bulb and it will eventually settle. Two months have passed...No change.

I tried loosening the screws for the pack panel, thinking that maybe the panel needs more freedom to expand, but still no change.

I removed the small plastic stand on the bottom of the set when I first got the TV. Is it possible that this caused it? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the help and info I got from this thread.

#971 ·
Just ordered my 7178...so I'm almost "officially" allowed to post in this thread. Now trying to figure out which stand to get.

Waited for CES announcements before ordering, but don't see anything in the 70" range that rocks my boat so far (well, Sony came out with the 70" LCD, but I can buy 10 Sammy 7178s for their MSRP).

#972 ·
Just ordered mine too!.....They say delivery is the 15th.....gonna be a longgggg weeeeeek. I bought the matching stand, until I have a custom cabinet built...by far the least expensive option, for stands. I just could not stand having this beauty on some coffee table or the floor that long....... I'm sure I'll be posting some nube questions soon, I apologize in advance...

#973 ·
First nube question... I was sifting through the owners manual (pdf) and did not see any instructions for changing out the lamp, however the 6767 manual does. Sinces the TV's are virtually identical is the process the same on the 7178? Just curious for when the inevitable time comes...

#974 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcel /forum/post/0

First nube question... I was sifting through the owners manual (pdf) and did not see any instructions for changing out the lamp, however the 6767 manual does. Sinces the TV's are virtually identical is the process the same on the 7178? Just curious for when the inevitable time comes...

There is a guide on the Samsung website. It is very easy - just make sure the set has cooled down.

#975 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsjet /forum/post/0

There is a guide on the Samsung website. It is very easy - just make sure the set has cooled down.

Page 156: Appendix, Replacing the lamp (with picts on the adjoining page) of the "Owner's Instruction" manual has all you need. The manual covers HL-S5088 thru HL-S7178 I have not seen the PDF ver. of the manual.

Carl

#976 ·
The pdf I downloaded from Samsung did not include the procedure in the appendix, thank you guys for the info, I'm sure it will be in the manual when I take delivery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.