The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SD= Standard Defenition 480i tv content....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 12:27 PM

So far sooooooo good! I'm getting used to the set now and what things look like from various sources and I'm still very pleased with the picture and the features. For those of you who ARE NOT Videophiles, and are trying to decide here's my non-expert take....

Pros
1) 1080p native (hopefully a hedge against obsolescence, but who the hell knows)
2) As mentioned, fairly slim and light for a 60 inch screen
3) The ability to save custom profiles with each input is really nice
4) The picture is slap your granny fantastic (biggest selling point to me)
5) Easy to switch inputs and easy to give them a label (ability to type in custom labels would have been better)
6) Built in HD Tuner for over the air broadcasts
7) Enough flexibility to tweak the picture without becoming daunting

Cons:

1) PC (VGA) connection WILL NOT fill the screen
2) No memory card slot (for photos)
3) No cable card slot
4) No Picture in Picture
5) Freeze frame is pretty much (to me) worthless. Especially if you have a DVR. Now if they had a way of storing the freezed frame on a removable media card that would ROCK!

If I can get 5 yrs or more out of it, it will be worth every penny. I hope everyone else is as pleased with theirs as I am with mine. Now if you'll excuse me i'm going to watch HD programming till my eyes bleed, even if it means watching "Discovery HD musuem tours of Europe"

Have fun.....

Don't worry about buying the wrong technology....you don't buy technology, you RENT it!
post #273 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedbeyond View Post

SD= Standard Defenition 480i tv content....

Thank you. I'm going to slap myself now that I didn't realize that. Sometimes I hate abbreviations
post #274 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjensen View Post

(BTW, I was talking to the salesman about the upcoming XBR2's. I was told that the lamp in the new XBR2's WON'T be user replaceable, a technician will have to do it. Has anybody else heard this?)

First, thank you misterjensen for the review of the set. I'm sure a number of us who have been waiting can breath a little easier!

How long do bulbs typically last? (quoted number of hours)
post #275 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Thanks drmrw. Not a single con that I care about, Now I won't sleep until Tues
post #276 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludejtstyle View Post

seriously, they have motion blur. really watch for it. once you notice it, you always will. If you have sateleite, turn to HDN High definition news. The fat anchor guy moves his hand around a lot, and it blurs.

Mind you, we output 1080i on our box though.

I sometimes see things like that, too--even on my SXRD--but, I don't think it is "motion blur." It seems to be an artifact of cable/satelite compression, producing a strobe-type series of images that show up as a "blur."
post #277 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 01:01 PM

Great info from everyone on the new sets! Does anyone that has a new A2000 have enough experience with the 2005 XBR1 to give an opinion on how things compare? Based on my research and several different in-store visits the XBR1 won hands down, no question it looked the best to me. Then the news of the A2000 shipping dates came out, so I decided to wait for the native 1080p and the reviews to start rolling out. So far all sounds good. My only concern is SD content. I would be using the 60A2000 set with a DTV HD Receiver and an OA HD Antenna for locals. So, based on the limited HD content currently available, will probably be watching a good bit of SD I imagine. My normal viewing distance will be about 12 feet, so might not notice slight imperfections that much. Any one in a similar situation and have an opinion as to whether the SD and HD picture quality is the same or better than the 2005 XBR1?
post #278 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVisitor View Post

First, thank you misterjensen for the review of the set. I'm sure a number of us who have been waiting can breath a little easier!

How long do bulbs typically last? (quoted number of hours)

No problem for the review I know I've read that the range is 5000-8000 hours; I don't remember where I read it though.
post #279 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

- The SD was tolerable. I would say that it would be at the low end of "fine" in my book. Everything looks kinda "fuzzy". I have no idea how good the SD signal was, because it (of course) had been split a number of times for all of the sets. IMHO, I don't think the SD performance is any better or worse than last years model. It's tough to judge from store feeds.

The manner in which your describing SD is exactly what I experienced when I owned the 60 XRB1 it's only shortcoming that I recall "Fuzzy" other than not meeting the WAF in my home but it had the best HD Movies display I'd seen (WOW Factor).

From your description it sounds like the reverting back to the DRC v1 has had no impact as your describing what I saw on the SXRD with SD on the previous version. Perhaps version 2 was flawed all along.

The rest of your report sounds very promising. Congratulations to all the new owners!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #280 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill175 View Post

I'm thinking the Tweeter (I've been to the one in Vista) could have them both up soon. Last time I called them, however, they did not know when they would get the 60A2000 in stock. You may want to call them and see.

That's a great suggestion. Tweeter is the first place that directed me to SXRD when I was originally set to buy a plasma.

Thanks.
post #281 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 02:32 PM

OH WELL . i had tooo dooo it . just ordered my 50 inch the ship date is now aug 8 .and the rep said that most retailers want be getting them to mid to late aug.
post #282 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmrw View Post

5) Easy to switch inputs and easy to give them a label (ability to type in custom labels would have been better)

In the manual (at least the one found online) it says you can do a custom 10 character label for each input by chosing "Edit..." as the label. It is on page 45-46 of the manual. Hopefully they didn't remove this from the final version.
post #283 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 03:47 PM

My 17 year old CRT rear projection television died this Wednesday. Yesterday I went to buy my first HDTV. I thought I was going to buy a 40 or 46 inch LCD flat panel. But then I saw the KDS-60A2000. Since my previous TV was a 50 inch, the KDS-60 sure looked like a good fit. My wife also liked it because she thinks bigger is better (no snide comments please). But now that I have it, I was wondering if any owners have adjusted the picture (contrast, brightness, etc.). If so, please post your favorite settings. I'm new to HDTV and their finer details and would apprectiate a good starting point.

Picture and performance are awsome.

Bob in southwest Virginia.
post #284 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yet2b View Post

I sometimes see things like that, too--even on my SXRD--but, I don't think it is "motion blur." It seems to be an artifact of cable/satelite compression, producing a strobe-type series of images that show up as a "blur."

It is really hard to tell where the artifacts are coming from. The anchor is being captured on an HD camera, moving around the facility in uncompressed HD, then being squeezed down to be distributed, then squeezed again for the satellite journey. and that is probably a fairly clean path to your home. A lot of what you watch can pick up artifacts when it is recorded in the field. HDV for example, depending on the camera, is not great with motion. ....and depending on how it is edited it can get crushed again.
post #285 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 03:56 PM

Do the VGA connection with a mac, going DVI-VGA, it fills the whole screen just fine. I think if you tweaked windows it would work as well.
post #286 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 04:06 PM

By chance did the set include any HDMI cables? I ordered the new set (have 2005 model), and a A/V receiver from sony. I was wondering if the TV includes any HDMI cables.. I assume My receiver includes one since it's a dvd player with hdmi. I guess I'll order a second one for my comcast HD dvr..
post #287 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Foo View Post

OK, I downloaded the ImgBurn program and it worked like a charm.

Attached is a picture I took of the screen during the VERTREZ test.

I have marked the block of interest with the word "HERE", which I believe is the correct one to look at from the instructions in the link that fade23 posted above.

If this is the correct block of lines to looks at, then I have good news for everybody.

The lines in this block all remain distinct, which I believe siginifies that the A2000 is doing a proper weave deinterlace and preserving the full 1080 lines of resolution.

I ran the VERTREZ MOTION test and I suppose I need help in assessing the results (and can't really post a readable screen cap because of the motion). The lines remain distinct in this test but when the line/blade sweeps through the block the trailing edge of the line/blade as it sweeps through the block of lines has some black along it. The rest of the block shows the distinct lines same as the VERTREZ test. Note also that when I pause the test, the entire block goes black - not sure what that means if anything.

Outstanding news. That is indeed the correct block of lines to look at, and means that it is doing a proper weave deinterlace, and by the sounds of it, is actually doing some form of region based motion adaptive interlacing as well. Thanks so much for doing this; looks like we can finally put DRCgate to rest.
post #288 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavs View Post

While that's a good idea, unfortunately the HD-Tivos (which is currently the only D* HD DVR available) will not allow you to output via component while the HDMI output is hooked up. So for normal TV viewing you'd actually have to unhook the HDMI cable from the HD-Tivo each time you wanted to watch SD material. I think the composite/S-Video outputs will activate when you select "Record to VCR" so you might be able to watch everything SD via that mechanic, but you couldn't watch live TV via that method. May be an option if you absolutely hate the compromised SD settings, but frankly I didn't feel the '05 SXRD's SD viewing was that bad.

Now if you're referring to the "coming some day" MPEG4 D* HD DVR, then you might have a shot depending on its design...

I'd suggest just optimizing the D* HDMI input for HD & live with slightly worse SD on those few shows you'll still want to watch in 480i after experiencing HD, but YMMV depending on your viewing habits.

Enjoy...

I have my HR10-250 HD TiVo hooked up via component out at 1080i into my KDS-R50XBR1 and the SD looks twice as good as that from my old SD TiVo via S-Video does. I mean it's still SD but the jaggies are pretty much gone - it just looks soft. I can actually watch SD and not go ouch or eeiuu, mostly ...
post #289 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking the Tweeter (I've been to the one in Vista) could have them both up soon. Last time I called them, however, they did not know when they would get the 60A2000 in stock. You may want to call them and see.

Tweeter in the Boston area is telling me August 2nd.

After reading MisterJensen's review I'm salivating over this set in the same manner as Homer Simpson would over a Krispy Kreme donut.

....and no the visualation isn't pretty!
post #290 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone have any opinion on how the SSE on the new sets compares to last years? Much appreciated.
post #291 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdash99 View Post

Tweeter in the Boston area is telling me August 2nd.

After reading MisterJensen's review I'm salivating over this set in the same manner as Homer Simpson would over a Krispy Kreme donut.

....and no the visualation isn't pretty!

I have a preorder with Tweeter/Showcase in Phoenix, and they told me the same thing yesterday, August 2nd.
post #292 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader View Post

Anyone have any opinion on how the SSE on the new sets compares to last years? Much appreciated.

When I saw them at the HE show back in June, it seemed to be about the same, and on the XBR2's as well.
post #293 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 04:27 PM

Just a comment on SD performance. I was really worried about SD on my 2005 SXRD, but after getting it home and connecting everything, my SD has looked great. I messed around w/ settings and realized that analog SD looks terrible, but the digital SD looks really good (I would be hoppy to post pictures). In my area nearly all my channels are digital and I have digital cable so this has never been a problem for me. Just wanted to let people know that these sets do pretty darn well w/ a digital signal.
post #294 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 04:29 PM

Trying to decide between the kds60a2000 and the Mitzi wd65732. Can get them for basically the same price. Still watch a lot of SD programming. We have a Dish VIP622. Any thoughts on which is the better set for our situation? We've waited over 2 months for these sets and now they are here!!!
post #295 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:

Okay. I just got back from Abt Electronics (north of Chicago). They did not have the A2000 on the floor when I got there, but they were nice enough to get one out and set one up. (On a side note, HOLY CRAP, what an UNBELIEVABLE store and what GREAT customer service!)
*snip*

This is really great news, thanks for posting. As soon as I can find a retailer willing to sell me one of these new 60"'s for under $3,000 I will probably jump.
post #296 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkhead View Post

By chance did the set include any HDMI cables? I ordered the new set (have 2005 model), and a A/V receiver from sony. I was wondering if the TV includes any HDMI cables.. I assume My receiver includes one since it's a dvd player with hdmi. I guess I'll order a second one for my comcast HD dvr..

No cables. My HD DVD came with an HDMI cable(not a very good one) and Comcast cable gave me a more heavy duty one with my new cable box. I hate having to spend too much on these things.
post #297 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Can someone direct me to a real review of this set on this thread...

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #298 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:

No cables. My HD DVD came with an HDMI cable(not a very good one) and Comcast cable gave me a more heavy duty one with my new cable box. I hate having to spend too much on these things.

Monoprice has fantastic cable at great prices. Most regulars on these forums will back that up.
post #299 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 05:09 PM

Initial impressions sound great. Looks like I'm getting an A2000.

Oh and post some more pics, folks ;b
post #300 of 14280 Old 07-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After finally seeing these sets, I can honestly say that it looks like Sony did their homework with these sets; they are going to sell a zillion of these things

Let's hope the XBR2's accomplish the same thing.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page