The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3001 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_arrows View Post

New 60A2000 was delivered this morning, here are some pictures. Any blurriness is because I don't have a tripod. TV hasn't been calibrated, just put it in Custom mode, turned off all processing and ran it through the HDNET test patterns quickly. Caveat: NOT a professional (or even good) photographer!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1...rows/Test1.jpg

Is it just me, or do the small circles in the lower corners look greener than the small circles in the upper corners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVert View Post

I'm not talking prices here, merely service.

I did not receive the same response when trying to "deal" with CC. I told them the price I had it ordered at (Outpost), and tried to deal with one they had in stock. The guy was very rude and told me I was lucky to be able to buy it at their standard price. They had no interest in trying to sell the TV. He kept saying to go look at a partiuclar samsung (they had blueray going to it, and SD to the A2000). Not helpful at all.

VV

Thats terrible, the CC near me has great service. They probably make more money on a Samsung sale. I forgot to mention that only the manager can adjust the prices at CC, so you have to deal with them or have them okay a price from a salesperson who actually wants to sell the TV.
post #3003 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 12:05 PM

lower right looks green
post #3004 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post

The only possible weak point of the A2000 might the SD quality. Some say it may be worse than the XBR1. I say it's very good and SD is very watchable, as others have said themselves.

no, the weak point is definitely the green blob
post #3005 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

Is it just me, or do the small circles in the lower corners look greener than the small circles in the upper corners?

The colors look fine to me. I have viewed the pic on two monitors -- a CRT and an LCD. I do not see any non-uniformity.

I learned from the previous threads that we should be very careful when analyzing people's photos in way not intended by the photographer.
post #3006 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure you can judge this via a picture. It is very dependant on the metering that the camera is using. It is also very dependant on the camera's ccd and image processing.
post #3007 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacaz 1 View Post

no, the weak point is definitely the green blob

Come now. You have to pay attention. If both TV's have it, then how is it a weak point compared to the XBR1? See?
I'm hoping the A2000 will be less noticable and on fewer sets. If so, then that's a positive as the XBR1 are well known for being more noticable and more frequent.

So far we have one A2000 that has a faint color uniformity. Compare that the XBR1's record. So which do you think he should choose?
post #3008 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:

It also depends on the white balance setting of the camera and available light source (tungsten, flourescent, etc).

60A2000 - June build, 3 tuner Media Center, XBox 360 extender
post #3009 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post

So far we have one A2000 that has a faint color uniformity. Compare that the XBR1's record. So which do you think he should choose?

No - by my count, including myself, I believe we now have 4 owners who have observed color uniformity issues.

This, given that the set has only been out for 3 weeks and also given the limited number of people that have reported their findings. Granted, there are a number of AVS'ers probably who have bought and are pleased but don't post here. These cases don't necessarily reflect that there isn't a problem with there sets - they may not notice the issues yet (or will ever). It's very subtle - jury is still out on the A2000 regarding this specific issue.
post #3010 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 12:53 PM

Mr. Foo, Did a tech ever come out to your house to fix your set?
post #3011 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Not yet. I am waiting to hear back from ABT.

To be honest, I am considering selling off a few spare, lesser used audio components that I have lying around and taking the proceeds for a 70" XBR2 (hopefully) available next month.

I realize that the color uniformity issues may persist with these sets as well, but I am holding out hope that the brighter bulb may mean a screen with less gain and possibly decreased SSE, which bothers me more than the reddish haze I see with the A2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedbeyond View Post

Mr. Foo, Did a tech ever come out to your house to fix your set?

post #3012 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I have a 50" XBR1 with some slight color uniformity. From reading 100 of posts here at the AVS Forum I assumed that only DLP provides prefect color uniformity but adds rainbows. LCoS has a known issue with color uniformity, some ISF calibrators here have said that, even reviews from The Perfect Vision, Sound & Vision included comments on color uniformity from the SXRD sets.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #3013 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacaz 1 View Post

lower right looks green

LOL, you guys have definitely psyched yourselves out... if you're determined enough to see something, you'll see it. I can say with absolute certainty that there is no color problems on the set at this point in time. I know misterjensen's developed over time, but OOTB this set is perfect. Currently watching Goodfellas via HDMI from Toshiba HD-A1 and it's superb. Great shadow detail, and I'm coming from a CRT rear-projection unit.

I was very afraid that I'd have to return this, but the geometry, convergence, and color uniformity are all perfect. So far, it's a keeper!
post #3014 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

I have a 50" XBR1 with some slight color uniformity. From reading 100 of posts here at the AVS Forum I assumed that only DLP provides prefect color uniformity but adds rainbows. LCoS has a known issue with color uniformity, some ISF calibrators here have said that, even reviews from The Perfect Vision, Sound & Vision included comments on color uniformity from the SXRD sets.

So, color uniformity problems versus rainbows. At least there's a form of symmetry there.

For myself, every DLP set I've ever seen makes it just too obvious that it's a projected image. In other words, they all look filmlike in a bad way to me. I've seen reports that some people get headaches from extended viewing of DLP sets. I've never viewed one for more than about a half hour, so I don't know whether or not I might have that problem. Same with rainbows: haven't seen them, but I probably haven't had a good opportunity to do so, either.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #3015 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 PM

Can anyone PM me what prices/deals they've been getting on the 60" A2000?

Considering jumping into the pool. Just wondering how closely to MSRP people have been paying. Thanks!
post #3016 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_arrows View Post

I was very afraid that I'd have to return this, but the geometry, convergence, and color uniformity are all perfect. So far, it's a keeper!

Many long-time XBR1 owners still report no problems. Just because some of the sets from a particular year, or a particular production run, have issues doesn't mean they all will.

Every model from every manufacturer will have some problem sets. That's not the issue. The issue is a) what percentage of sets will have problems, and b) how the retailer and manufacturer handle problem sets when confronted with them.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #3017 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Your set looks very good Jim_arrows.
post #3018 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 01:31 PM

I just got mine and will have it set up in a couple hours. I'll report back on how i think of it.
post #3019 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMatthias View Post

Considering jumping into the pool. Just wondering how closely to MSRP people have been paying. Thanks!

Just got back from frys. They have it $300 off MSRP.
post #3020 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Foo View Post

Not yet. I am waiting to hear back from ABT.

To be honest, I am considering selling off a few spare, lesser used audio components that I have lying around and taking the proceeds for a 70" XBR2 (hopefully) available next month.

I realize that the color uniformity issues may persist with these sets as well, but I am holding out hope that the brighter bulb may mean a screen with less gain and possibly decreased SSE, which bothers me more than the reddish haze I see with the A2000.

I also find the XBR2's brighter bulb interesting. The XBR1 60" is more than bright enough with the 120w bulb, so, Sony did not increase the wattage to make the screen brighter. The best explanation would seem to be that the SBR2's screen, lenses, etc., are less efficient, but produce better PQ.
post #3021 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott View Post

Just got back from frys. They have it $300 off MSRP.

No Price talk. He asked you to PM him!
post #3022 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 01:58 PM

My photography skills haven't improved, but these should at least not be blurry (set the camera on top of the chair 8). Another of the HDNet test pattern (via component) and a couple from HD-DVD via HDMI. Hopefully someone finds them of value.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ows/HDNet2.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ows/HD-DVD.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1...rows/Dukes.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1...Goodfellas.jpg
post #3023 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I noticed that too but that's extremely nit-picky pointing that out, good eyes though. Judging from the other pictures it looks damn near perfect but unless i had the actual tv only then would i truely know.

It does seem like when throwing up color patterns say all blue screen etc, that sxrd has problem looking solid. Seems like certain parts are darker than others. I could be wrong just a observation. I think i could live with jim_arrows set.
post #3024 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMatthias View Post

MMDCXC

from my man in Jersey
post #3025 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

Your set looks very good Jim_arrows.

Thanks, I'm happy with it...
post #3026 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yet2b View Post

I also find the XBR2's brighter bulb interesting. The XBR1 60" is more than bright enough with the 120w bulb, so, Sony did not increase the wattage to make the screen brighter. The best explanation would seem to be that the SBR2's screen, lenses, etc., are less efficient, but produce better PQ.

Or............... the brighter bulb deals with the green stain.
post #3027 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 02:07 PM

The SSE is kind of annoying. It makes watching any movie with lots of white frustrating, i.e. "Ice Age" or the video game "Lost Planet".
I guess it's better than seeing a reflection of myself in the screen though.

60A2000 - June build, 3 tuner Media Center, XBox 360 extender
post #3028 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.10-Crux View Post

The SSE is kind of annoying. It makes watching any movie with lots of white frustrating, i.e. "Ice Age" or the video game "Lost Planet".
I guess it's better than seeing a reflection of myself in the screen though.

Good Point, I am pleased with the lack of glare on this tv.
post #3029 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

I noticed that too but that's extremely nit-picky pointing that out, good eyes though. Judging from the other pictures it looks damn near perfect but unless i had the actual tv only then would i truely know.

It does seem like when throwing up color patterns say all blue screen etc, that sxrd has problem looking solid. Seems like certain parts are darker than others. I could be wrong just a observation. I think i could live with jim_arrows set.

The new pictures look great to me too. I think it was just bad luck that the first set of pictures had a bit of tint, and I am sorry I mentioned it.

When trying to capture the screen, using as much telephoto as you can given your camera and room size will help make the screen look as uniform as possible. Also, if you can photograph a static/paused image, use a tripod and use a long exposure to capture several frames, which will help average out color as the TV paints successive frames.

-Dave
post #3030 of 14278 Old 08-08-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm10541 View Post

Its mutating

No, Sony over-corrected for the green blob, so now we have the red blob. Next year's SXRD will have the blue blob, and the year after we're back to the green blob.

for humor-impaired
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page