The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 117 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3481 of 14278 Old 08-15-2006, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by psincubus View Post

My 50A2000 came on saturday and I had the sony stand with it as well. So I open up the box to put the stand together, and basically all the wood was cracked in two. The box was badly beat up and one side looked like an accordian so I was expecting the worst anyway.

Sonystyle.com reps were easy to deal with when explaining the problem and getting an RMA.

Anyways, I went to BB and bought a stand and setup the TV and it's great. So far I have experienced the same as everyone else, excellent HD, decent SD analog, and good SD digital.

I think I got lucky with the SD though because the complex I live in is with one cable company by default. But I went with the other cable company in the area with more HD channels. So instead of the signal being split 500 times to all residents, I am basically the only one here with it.

I do see the internal reflections when the TV is off, but its not a circle in the middle of the screen, it's more of a boomerang towards the left side (also the side where the balcony windows are.)

anyways, I will post some high quality pics later tonight with HD, SD, some NES. The oppo is coming on thursday, so I really haven't calibrated besides the basic stuff like all enhancements off etc etc.

Anyways, the TV is excellent and the girlfriend loves watching her soaps on it. haha

Thanks for all your help in making this decision guys.

Same problem with the sony stand for my 60A2000. To return sony said I have to wait till they receive this one back before sending another one. So I went the route of just getting the broken parts on Warranty from the stand company. Now they tell me that this is a two week wait as the parts are on backorder. What a hassle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 14278 Old 08-15-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post

Hi guys, after many delays, my basement is near complete. I was originally waiting on it to be finished then I was gonna place an order for an HL-S6187W, then I stumbled upon this thread, as well as listings for this set at various websites. I talked to my electronics guy (he gets me wholesale prices) and he will be able to get me this set for only a little more than I would have paid for the HL-S6187W. So now my interest is really peaking.

A few questions, i'm still doing my research on DLP and SXRD sets, some people are complaining that even now after several iterations the Samsung DLP's still suffer from the rainbow effect from the color wheel. I am unfamiliar with SXRD sets, do these sets suffer from the rainbow effect? Does it have a color wheel? If not, how does it produce it's image, and it is something that will need maintenence or an extended warranty on? Thanks for any info, I originally ruled out any SXRD sets cause they all seemed so expensive, but this one might be quite the value.

before you get flamed and told to search the forum 'cause this has been discussed many times i'll give you a quick answer No rainbows on SXRD.
post #3483 of 14278 Old 08-15-2006, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDogCatia View Post

Has anyone noticed volume differences between HD and Non HD channels? The HD channels seem half as loud as the non HD channels. I have the SA 8300 DVR and have it hooked up to the tv via HDMI and to my receiver via L/R audio jacks. I'm not sure if this is a tv problem or a cable box problem. I suspect it is more of a cable box problem, but just wondering if any other A2000 owners have experienced something similar.

I have the same problem with any tv I hook up to my cable boxes. I would not worry at all that the tv is the culprit. In fact my sound totally bypasses the tv, and goes straight from cable box to my receiver, and I have the same issue.
post #3484 of 14278 Old 08-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post

A few questions, i'm still doing my research on DLP and SXRD sets, some people are complaining that even now after several iterations the Samsung DLP's still suffer from the rainbow effect from the color wheel. I am unfamiliar with SXRD sets, do these sets suffer from the rainbow effect? Does it have a color wheel? If not, how does it produce it's image, and it is something that will need maintenence or an extended warranty on? Thanks for any info, I originally ruled out any SXRD sets cause they all seemed so expensive, but this one might be quite the value.

SXRD is Sony's implementation of LCOS. As currently implemented, LCOS sets do not suffer from the rainbow effect, and do not use a color wheel. However, like all projection sets, they do use a light source. Just like DLP, technically the light source can be any of a bulb/lamp, LED or laser. Currently, the only laser-based projection sets are research prototypes, and the only sets that use an LED light source are DLP-based.

As currently implemented, LCOS sets use three LCOS microdisplay chips, one each for red, green and blue. All pixels are shown simultaneously. The advantage is no color wheel. The disadvantage is the possibility of misconvergence of the three LCOS chips.

Unlike LCD-based microdisplays, light is reflected off of LCOS panels. For LCD-based projectors, light must be passed through the panel. For technical reasons, there must be a small separation between each pixel in the case of LCD, which is not the case for LCOS panels. That separation gives rise to the "screen door effect" which plagues LCD and plasma screens.

There is no reason one could not use a single LCOS chip and a color wheel, nor is there any reason (other than cost) one could not use three DLP chips without any color wheel.

Sony, Brillian and JVC all make LCOS-based projection TVs. Sony is almost alone in offering no DLP-based sets.

You should get an extended warranty when purchasing any non-CRT-based multithousand-dollar televison.

In the case of the Sony SXRD sets, there is a known design/manufacturing flaw that affects some percentage of the 2005 models. It may be that the entire cohort of 2005 SXRD sets have this problem, and the problem will be manifested by all of them over time. No one knows. Also unkown is whether the 2006 SXRD sets do or do not have the same problem. The problem is affectionately known as The Green Blob.

The Green Blob starts out life as a faint green discoloration or "haze" affecting some area of the screen, but not the entire screen. It is at first essentially invisible except when the affected area of the screen is showing a shade of gray. Over time (weeks, months,) it gets worse, and eventually is visible at all times.

Some owners report seeing a similar "green blob" or doughnut for a few minutes when the set is first turned on--but this fades away after a minute or so. Currently, I don't believe this is related to the Green Blob problem, but that's just my best guess.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #3485 of 14278 Old 08-15-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Has anyone noticed volume differences between HD and Non HD channels? The HD channels seem half as loud as the non HD channels. I have the SA 8300 DVR and have it hooked up to the tv via HDMI and to my receiver via L/R audio jacks. I'm not sure if this is a tv problem or a cable box problem. I suspect it is more of a cable box problem, but just wondering if any other A2000 owners have experienced something similar.

That's just the channels, nothing to do with the TV. Why are you not using a digital audio out to your reciever?
post #3486 of 14278 Old 08-15-2006, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know for sure if the A 2000 does 2:3 pulldown of film based material? Also, the set accepts 1080P. Is this only 1080p/60fps or will the set also accept 1080p/24 that some of the upcoming HD format players will be capable of displaing?
post #3487 of 14278 Old 08-15-2006, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

I find your bragging a bit premature, and I don't appreciate your attitude. I sincerely hope the green problems are solved, but I stand by my post that there is NO proof at this date that it has been done. Only after a good number of the new models are in consumers hands, AND operating for several months without problems will we know this has been licked. Sony loses all credibility with me for putting out such a widespread, clearly faulty product, and not stopping production until the issue was solved. I would not be trusting that it has been fully dealt with yet. Because YOU received ONE good tv that has worked for a few DAYS is not much to brag about!

Say what? You're on here in the A2000 owners thread talking talking about all the XBR1s in the store that have problems and concluding that the A2000s do to based on no information at all, and you have a problem with my attitude????

I guess you missed the part where I tried to actually explain a much more logical perspective based on real facts? But I know, you're just in this forum to hear yourself talk and we wouldn't want to let any facts get in the way.

Sony loses all credebility??? As oppossed to the same nonsense all the other companies do? The only complete loss of credibility is yours.
post #3488 of 14278 Old 08-15-2006, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomcreek View Post

This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for, but baseball is not really the best fast action sport. CAn you give me your review of the picture quality on last night's monday night football game regarding motion artifacts and macroblocking during panning across large ares of a color (i.e. the field). !) Can you still make out the texture of the astroturf when the camera pans horizontally across the field? Does the fast action (e.g live tackles) and slow motion replays look live (like your looking through a window or at least watching the game on a CRT).

Much thanks in advance for your detailed observations.

I agree, football has more movement, but as a Steelers fan I haven't had much interest in watching the games so far and the one Steelers game that was on was in over-compressed SD, which wasn't so pretty.

I'll see if I can get myself to watch one of the other games for a while to see. There's also been such bad broadcasts of some of these preseason games that I never know wether to trust the incoming signal or not. I'll need a good broadcast on CBS or NBC to check 1080i properly.
post #3489 of 14278 Old 08-15-2006, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I have that too on multiples TVs, with and without the SA 8300. Its the cable feed. Analog channels are simply much louder than the digital channels.
post #3490 of 14278 Old 08-15-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post

That's just the channels, nothing to do with the TV. Why are you not using a digital audio out to your reciever?

The simple answer is that my receiver does not have any digital inputs. It is a Sony STR DE435. At the time, I had a pretty good stereo setup with Infinity speakers. That time is long gone now, altough I think it is still good for me. Maybe I don't know what I am missing. Before now, I have never used the stereo to watch tv, just dvds.
post #3491 of 14278 Old 08-15-2006, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

I find your bragging a bit premature, and I don't appreciate your attitude. I sincerely hope the green problems are solved, but I stand by my post that there is NO proof at this date that it has been done. Only after a good number of the new models are in consumers hands, AND operating for several months without problems will we know this has been licked. Sony loses all credibility with me for putting out such a widespread, clearly faulty product, and not stopping production until the issue was solved. I would not be trusting that it has been fully dealt with yet. Because YOU received ONE good tv that has worked for a few DAYS is not much to brag about!

Alan, I'm sure you're a good guy, but this post is way out of line. You're talking about HIS attitude when YOUR post is SO condescending. I respect your opinion on this issue, but I also respect his. From the tone of this post, it would seem appropriate for you to take a chill-pill.
post #3492 of 14278 Old 08-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Liked: 12
the Allegro is fairly nice too. i like that it has the center speaker on-end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjensen View Post

Wow, I've gotten a lot of PM's about the stand. It is the JSP Industries "Bolero" in espresso finish.

At JSP Industries (click on "collections", then "Bolero"):
http://www.jsp-industries.com/Pages/introhomethea.html

No, i can't go out, i'm watching Garbo...

post #3493 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreier View Post

If the center channel is mounted to the wall, that will place it behind the mains. Is that a big deal to have the center further away than the mains? Thanks.

Sound travels at approx 1000 feet per second. If your center speaker is back 1 ft from the plane of the mains, then its sound will reach your ears about 1 millisecond later than the mains.

Fortunately my A/V receiver has a setting which allows me to adjust the delay from the center speaker in 1 millisecond increments to compensate for this. Probably many A/V receivers have a similar setting.
post #3494 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:

The simple answer is that my receiver does not have any digital inputs. It is a Sony STR DE435. At the time, I had a pretty good stereo setup with Infinity speakers. That time is long gone now, altough I think it is still good for me. Maybe I don't know what I am missing. Before now, I have never used the stereo to watch tv, just dvds.

OK, I see. Your just behind the times some. No big deal. Everyone is in that situation at some point.
For around the same $300 price range of your current AVR you can get a truly superior AVR to what you have now. My own AVR is a $300 Pioneer from a few years back. The newer units have multiple digital inputs and does the surround sound processing inside the AVR. You will get time alignment as well as better overall sound.

With a TV in this price range I think you should budget at least $300 or so and update the AVR. The sound is an important part of the whole movie or even TV experience. HD TV shows all use 5.1 and most digital SD channels use Dolby Surround sound. You'll get a much larger enjoyment factor once you upgrade the AVR.
post #3495 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 04:56 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 88
[quote=Randomcreek]Does anyone know for sure if the A 2000 does 2:3 pulldown of film based material? Also, the set accepts 1080P. Is this only 1080p/60fps or will the set also accept 1080p/24 that some of the upcoming HD format players will be capable of displaing?[/QUOTE

HD DVD and Blu Ray store data at 1080P/24. Blu Ray will output at 1080P/60 which is what your A2000 will accept. HD DVD does not currently output at 1080P; but from what I've read, future models will have the capability.

The Holy Grail is outputting at 1080P/24, a TV that accepts 1080P/24 (the A2000 doesn't) and the TV then using some multiple of 24 fps(greater than 60) for display (i.e., 72fps, 96fps, or 120fps). That would minimize processing/artifacts. None of the dispalays on the market currently have that capability.
post #3496 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFoley View Post

Alan, I'm sure you're a good guy, but this post is way out of line. You're talking about HIS attitude when YOUR post is SO condescending. I respect your opinion on this issue, but I also respect his. From the tone of this post, it would seem appropriate for you to take a chill-pill.

Let's calm down folks..we are talking about TV's here! All I ever tried to do was get people to quit declaring that the green glob problem is cured in the A-2000 models before ANYONE (except the silent execs at Sony Corp) could possibly know one way or the other. This is called junk science...ie "mine is good so therefore the problem is cured". Assuming that the problem is over just because the A-2000 is a new model is equally junk science. GM could have a bad transmission problem. They might re-style the car it goes in, but the transmissions could continue to be bad. A new model is NO proof at all the problem is solved. From what I have read, the SXRD chips have not been re-designed for the new models. If they have been Sony is not mentioning it. I am hoping the green globs are gone too, but it is very misleading to people reading this forum to state that they are gone for good, based on such limited information. That is what is great about these forums...we can find out the TRUTH about products, and make better informed purchases.
post #3497 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 06:10 AM

We already have a few reports of the color uniformity problem with faint green areas of a white or gray screen so we know it's not completely gone. I am hoping it has been reduced in degree and in the number of infected sets, though.
post #3498 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 06:17 AM

For those complaining about the poor SD quality, here is a pic from the Speed Channel which is a digital SD channel and this is over an S-video cable to boot.

Oh yea, Formula One!
Now if the actual race looked that good. Wish they could use HD cameras.
post #3499 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

What happened to the service fix that was supposed to be issued by Sony (for the early production sets) to correct 1080i deinterlacing?
post #3501 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 09:41 AM

misterjensen wrote:
Quote:

What happened to the service fix that was supposed to be issued by Sony (for the early production sets) to correct 1080i deinterlacing?

I was wondering the same thing. The settings that CNET posted don't appear to be the service fix for the filtering they mention in their review.

Tom
post #3502 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 10:23 AM

That service fix requires going into the Service Menu, right? I thought they said that they won't post that type of info because they don't want non-technicians poking around in there.

I also thought someone said the "fix" was that Sony would send a technician out to your house to fix it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Are we talking about the LPF fix?
post #3503 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 10:51 AM

Nice pictures... are you having your set calibrated? If so, when and by who?

BTW, pictures after calibration would be great.

Tim
post #3504 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 11:05 AM

I am very interested in getting a KDS-60A2000 but I am wondering whether it is just too delicate. Based on some of the posts here, placing it on its side, end, front, or back while shipping could cause PQ problems once installed. I find this very disconcerting as I have stairs to negotiate and keeping this thing upright all the way to placement would be almost impossible for me. This could be a definite show-stopper.

So naturally, I am wondering:

[1] How many owners had to stand this on end while moving it, and still had good results once in place?

[2] Of all owners who have any defects, which ones didn't keep this upright while moving it?

I can think of some options regarding ways to get around this supposed problem, but I am not sure if they are really worth the hassle.

All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

There are three kinds of people: those that can count and those that can't. Make sure you are the right kind.
post #3505 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:

That service fix requires going into the Service Menu, right? I thought they said that they won't post that type of info because they don't want non-technicians poking around in there.

I also thought someone said the "fix" was that Sony would send a technician out to your house to fix it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Are we talking about the LPF fix?

I e-mailed the author of the review and he graciously declined to give out the service menu fix for the LPF. He re-iterated that Sony will be issuing a fix eventually, but that he fully expected it to show up on forums like this one any day now.

I talked to the Qualia people last week and they said they were working on it and would get back to me soon. By working on it, I think sony is just trying to decide if it's better to send out techs or just give out the service menu instructions for the AVS forum people who care, unlike the other 99% of the public.
post #3506 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't seem to find it on this thread, but what is the wide of the base of the 50" model? I'm debating if this stand will be suitable: http://www.bello.com/index.php?parti...72&categ_id=39 It has a wide of about 41".
post #3507 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiney6188W View Post

I am very interested in getting a KDS-60A2000 but I am wondering whether it is just too delicate. Based on some of the posts here, placing it on its side, end, front, or back while shipping could cause PQ problems once installed. I find this very disconcerting as I have stairs to negotiate and keeping this thing upright all the way to placement would be almost impossible for me. This could be a definite show-stopper.

So naturally, I am wondering:

[1] How many owners had to stand this on end while moving it, and still had good results once in place?

[2] Of all owners who have any defects, which ones didn't keep this upright while moving it?

I can think of some options regarding ways to get around this supposed problem, but I am not sure if they are really worth the hassle.

What your forgetting is that there is a big difference between setting the TV on it's side and walking it up stairs and setting it on it's side while being transported on a truck over bumpy roads for hundreds of miles. Huge difference.
post #3508 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

As some of you may or may not remember, I opted to exchange my 60" A2000 due to a green haze on the left side that would not completely disappear after warmup. The new one came yesterday, and it too has a green haze at startup (in the middle this time) but it goes away in the first minute or two. As long as it goes away, I'm happy. My problem is that the set that I now have does not seem to be as razor sharp as the one I returned; it seems slightly more fuzzy / grainy. It also appears to have more "jaggies" on bending lines. The one I returned was a July build, the one I have now is a June build. (For the record, I didn't look at the build until after I thought the picture looked a little fuzzy, so it's not my mind playing tricks on me.) Could this have anything to do with the deinterlacing problem in early builds as reported on Cnet? What do I do now???
post #3509 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjensen View Post

As some of you may or may not remember, I opted to exchange my 60" A2000 due to a green haze on the left side that would not completely disappear after warmup. The new one came yesterday, and it too has a green haze at startup (in the middle this time) but it goes away in the first minute or two. As long as it goes away, I'm happy. My problem is that the set that I now have does not seem to be as razor sharp as the one I returned. It also appears to have more "jaggies" on bending lines. The one I returned was a July build, the one I have now is a June build. Could this have anything to do with the deinterlacing problem in early builds as reported on Cnet? What do I do now???

You seem to be well versed in TV's, you are not getting the green blob problem mixed up with the bulbs normal turning on colors are you? These bulbs are some kind of metal halide or somesuch and always show strange colors until they warm up about a minute later. This is normal and was already discussed.

After the bulb warms up are you seeing any color uniformity issues? Have you already gone through all the settings to get it nice and sharp and it's still dull?
post #3510 of 14278 Old 08-16-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You seem to be well versed in TV's, you are not getting the green blob problem mixed up with the bulbs normal turning on colors are you? These bulbs are some kind of metal halide or somesuch and always show strange colors until they warm up about a minute later. This is normal and was already discussed.

After the bulb warms up are you seeing any color uniformity issues? Have you already gone through all the settings to get it nice and sharp and it's still dull?

I'm not seeing any color uniformity issues (knock on wood) after it warms up. I have the set setup to the exact settings of the last set returned. However, it looks like the picture is ever so slightly out of focus.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page