The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 124 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 11:26 AM
WGW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally able to perform some quick calibration tests with AVIA on my 60A2000 (July build). No color or convergence issues. However, set does have the counterclockwise rotation (tilt) that others have reported. A horizontal line drops 1/4" from right to left. Vertical line drift 1/4" right from top to bottom. Very easy to see when using the AVIA Overscan pattern. When I get time, will post photo showing this 'geometry problem'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeball View Post

You realize you were quoting someone who had an XBR1 with the green blob?

I don't see your point here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeball View Post

And the XBR1 was not the first SXRD.

What set was there before? Did it suffer from the color uniformity problems? It's strange that people only mention the XBR1. I admit I don't know their history. Can you briefly summerize it for me and others?
post #3693 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psincubus View Post

misterjensen,

how did your green blob problem start? did you first notice it during startup but then it went away? Then after some time it lasted past startup like cxgy's? or not during startup?

I am seeing some green haze during startup I think, it's just hard to tell since the screen is so dark during startup.

There was NO green blob / haze at all the first few times I started it up, then I started to have some haze when it started up, but quickly faded away, then it stayed, and came and went and came and went, etc...
post #3694 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxgy View Post

I was the 4th person.. green haze lasted longer than it should for a few days. Not an issue now as it disappears after initial warmup. Even when it was there it more like an area where the colour temperature was more greenish as opposed to a true discolouration or "blob" (i.e.- white was still white - but it was more like a greenish white ... just like how choosing COOL and WARM gives you bluish or reddish tinted white.) The wife noticed it though.

Ok. Since it completely disappears after warmup, it probably isn't the green blob.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #3695 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4servants View Post

Sad to say, I returned my 60" A2000 to CC a few days ago. I got a great price but the SD picture quality was very poor compared to my 58" HP DLP. HD looked fine though.

I'll bet it was a June build; I'm in the process of exchanging mine. On my first set (a July build) SD was great, but I had that green haze issue. On my second set (a June build), I have no green haze but SD in my opinion is virtually unwatchable... it makes me dizzy it's so soft and fuzzy. HD looks soft as well; this is without a doubt the resolution issue CNET talked about.
post #3696 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 11:45 AM

How does one discern the build date, via S/N?
post #3697 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 11:48 AM

It's printed right on the back of the TV.
post #3698 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjensen View Post

I'll bet it was a June build; I'm in the process of exchanging mine. On my first set (a July build) SD was great, but I had that green haze issue. On my second set (a June build), I have no green haze but SD in my opinion is virtually unwatchable... it makes me dizzy it's so soft and fuzzy. HD looks soft as well; this is without a doubt the resolution issue CNET talked about.

How soft is the SD image? Did you see my pic from the Formula One race? The big red one. Was your SD fuzzier than that?

The reason I ask is because I was thinking my set had the LPF on and that was why it couldn't fully resolve the fine lines in the HDNET test pattern. You seem to be thinking that the LPF would make the SD look really bad. I'm not sure what to think.

I guess we'll have to wait for the Service Menu codes to go in and see if the LPF setting is on or off or whatever.
post #3699 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post

buccikong, I thought your convergence problem might produce that green haze and it appears I'm right. Looks like something is wrong with the optical block. Do you remember it being there from day one? Do you know if your TV was shipped improperly like layed down on it's side?
I think warrany work is in need.

I don't remember the green haze being there from day one, but it could have been. As far as shipping is concerned, I only saw the final transfer from the truck into my garage, which was fine. The box and shipping materials looked fine as well.

I'm just returning the unit instead of dealing with warranty work.
post #3700 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenD2 View Post

How does one discern the build date, via S/N?

It's on the back of the set.
post #3701 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Abt is in the process of doing an exchange of my June build with the resolution issue. They were supposed to open the box at the warehouse and confirm a July or newer build. They forgot to do that this morning (or did not communicate with the delivery guys to do that) and showed up with another June build this morning. They took it back, and are going to have another crack at this on Tuesday. Patience... patience... I wish this was all taken care of!!! Does anybody have a KDS60A2000 that they are completely happy with?
post #3702 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliJ View Post

Hello everyone,

I just got my 50a2000 this morning (finally) and am trying to play a dvd via my PS2. This may be more of a post for a receiver thread, but I thought I would see if anyone could help me.

My current setup is PS2 to receiver via the component cables and a toslink (digital audio) cable. All 4 connections go into my Denon 2807 receiver. From the Denon to the a2000, I have a single HDMI cable.

My picture is up, but its black and white, grainy, and absolutely horrible to look at. I thought maybe I had reversed the component cables, but I dont think I did because no picture comes up at all when I try switching (the PS2 cable colors dont match the receiver, so its sort of guessing).

Anyway, hopefully i'm just an idiot and there is an easy fix. I thought I was technology savy, but maybe not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Why don't you try going out of the PS2 straight into the TV for Video.
post #3703 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Does anybody have a KDS60A2000 that they are completely happy with?

I believe there are lots, but they are too busy watching it to come back to this forum and talk.

I don't have any problems. Just an amazing picture.
Now I need to get a new DVD player and a few other things to bring the home theater up to snuff.

I still have my set up high and tilted down so I can watch in bed. It kicks ass.
post #3704 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe there are lots, but they are too busy watching it to come back to this forum and talk.

A very good point...
post #3705 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 12:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

What set was there before? Did it suffer from the color uniformity problems? It's strange that people only mention the XBR1. I admit I don't know their history. Can you briefly summerize it for me and others?

The only SXRD before the XBR1 was the 70" Qualia.

Sony Qualia 006

At an MSRP of around $13,000 it probably had hand picked SXRD chips along with many other quality control efforts that the XBR line does not have. Sony is no longer building Qualia 006 models.

The Qualia owners thread at one point did not contain any reports of color uniformity problems. To find out how the owners are getting on with their older SXRD chips you would need to do some reading in their thread. It's a big one.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3706 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

I have received permission to post the contact information for the lawyer handling the class action lawsuit against Sony over the Green Blob:

Robert I. Lax, Esq.
Robert I. Lax & Associates
535 Fifth Avenue
21st Floor
New York, New York 10017
Tel: (212) 818-9150
Fax: (212) 818-1266
rlax (at) lax-law (dot) com [spam blinded]

He is especially interested in learning the names of Sony personnel who make material statements about the Green Blob, such as what causes it, that it's been fixed, or that parts have been redesigned due to the Green Blob. Also of interest would be the names of any Customer Service reps who have visited owners with the Green Blob.

Also, I now have .pdf copy of the complaint.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #3707 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 12:28 PM

i only noticed the green haze this morning after the TV had been off for 9 hours straight. The temperature in the house was 68 degrees. I tried to replicate the haze by leaving the TV off for 2 hours then turning it back on, but no dice. Apparently the haze was due to the much lower temperature inside the TV. So I am not too worried.

I am totally happy with my July build 50A2000. Digital SD looks great, analog SD looks decent, and HD is sharp, pun intended. After getting it on saturday, I didn't come back to the forums for a good 3-4 days because all i was doing was watching TV. haha. anyways, I just posted up some more pics, including side pics in the "setup" folder.

http://udel.edu/~jimmee/tv

this is my favorite pic: http://copland.udel.edu/~jimmee/tv/setup/IMG_3114.JPG
post #3708 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 12:34 PM

oh yeah, someone a while back posted a pic of the A2000 with a metallic silver back. Mine is flat grey... does anyone have a metallic silver one?
post #3709 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:

How soft is the SD image? Did you see my pic from the Formula One race? The big red one. Was your SD fuzzier than that?

The reason I ask is because I was thinking my set had the LPF on and that was why it couldn't fully resolve the fine lines in the HDNET test pattern. You seem to be thinking that the LPF would make the SD look really bad. I'm not sure what to think.

I guess we'll have to wait for the Service Menu codes to go in and see if the LPF setting is on or off or whatever.

I have a June build and I can see the soft image, but if I set the DE to medium, the sharpness looks good. SD is perfectly viewable on my tv and sometimes, even great. The key is to hook it up via SVideo and to use custom settings. IE: Noise on High.
post #3710 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDogCatia View Post

I have a June build and I can see the soft image, but if I set the DE to medium, the sharpness looks good. SD is perfectly viewable on my tv and sometimes, even great. The key is to hook it up via SVideo and to use custom settings. IE: Noise on High.

For best SD:

Noise: Auto (if selectable, otherwise High);
Cinemotion: Auto;
DRC Mode: High Density

Even better than S-Video is the internal tuner connected to cable.

post #3711 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 01:03 PM

does cc display the 50 in?
post #3712 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Abt just called me back to let me know that they put a phone call into their Sony rep to see if they can get any kind of indication of what serial numbers began in July builds and beyond. They are doing this so they don't have to open a bunch of sets to find a July or later build... makes sense to me. If they find anything out I'll pass the information on to everybody else. How many people want to bet that the Sony rep will have "no idea" of any resolution issues with June build sets? I should find something out on Monday.
post #3713 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The only SXRD before the XBR1 was the 70" Qualia.

At an MSRP of around $13,000 it probably had hand picked SXRD chips along with many other quality control efforts that the XBR line does not have.

If that's Sony's only other SXRD, then I would say I'm correct in that the XBR1 is the first gen of this unit. The MSRP of that 70 inch tells me it was not ordinary, right off the assembly line TV, so I don't think it counts.
Quote:

this is my favorite pic: http://copland.udel.edu/~jimmee/tv/setup/IMG_3114.JPG

Yea. Mine seems to have a blue glow sometimes and a pink glow at other times. Weird.
Quote:

oh yeah, someone a while back posted a pic of the A2000 with a metallic silver back. Mine is flat grey... does anyone have a metallic silver one?

I don't remember anyone like that. You may be refering to my pic which due to the lighting make the back look a different color. Some folks got confused and thought my set color was different, but it's not. Same gray as everyone elses.

HoundDogCatia and sourcery, why are you telling me how to get a good SD image? I was the one telling everyone else how to get a better SD image a long time ago so I think you must have misunderstood what I was asking. I was wanting HoundDogCatia to look at my picture I snapped from a digital SD channel (through S-video) and tell me if his SD channels (the ones that gave him a headache) looked this good or looked worse.
Here is the link to the picture.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...la#post8218948

dgpruitt
jim_arrows

You guys posted some pics of your TV with test patterns. Can either of you tell me if the finest lines were resolved?
post #3714 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

HoundDogCatia and sourcery, why are you telling me how to get a good SD image? I was the one telling everyone else how to get a better SD image a long time ago so I think you must have misunderstood what I was asking. I was wanting HoundDogCatia to look at my picture I snapped from a digital SD channel (through S-video) and tell me if his SD channels (the ones that gave him a headache) looked this good or looked worse.
Here is the link to the picture.

Sorry, I misunderstood your "use case" (that's a technical term from software engineering.)

post #3715 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Abt is in the process of doing an exchange of my June build with the resolution issue. They were supposed to open the box at the warehouse and confirm a July or newer build. They forgot to do that this morning (or did not communicate with the delivery guys to do that) and showed up with another June build this morning. They took it back, and are going to have another crack at this on Tuesday. Patience... patience... I wish this was all taken care of!!! Does anybody have a KDS60A2000 that they are completely happy with?

i'm 100% happy no green at startup or during play. had my set about 3 weeks now hopefully i won't see it.
post #3716 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 01:50 PM

I just received my KDS55A2000 and have a question about the digital audio via HDMI. I have a HD-DVR from DirecTV. It is connected to the A2000 via HDMI input 6. I also have an optical cable from the HD-DVR to my HT Receiver. I have the speakers in the A2000 turned off because all audio is via the HT Receiver. Dolby Digital is enabled on the HD-DVR. The problem is that I keep getting these messages on the A2000 saying that the audio signal is incompatible. I know that the A2000 won't decode DD and it doesn't matter because I don't want it to do anything with the audio. Does anyone know how to suppress these messages?
post #3717 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzd View Post

I just received my KDS55A2000 and have a question about the digital audio via HDMI. I have a HD-DVR from DirecTV. It is connected to the A2000 via HDMI input 6. I also have an optical cable from the HD-DVR to my HT Receiver. I have the speakers in the A2000 turned off because all audio is via the HT Receiver. Dolby Digital is enabled on the HD-DVR. The problem is that I keep getting these messages on the A2000 saying that the audio signal is incompatible. I know that the A2000 won’t decode DD and it doesn’t matter because I don’t want it to do anything with the audio. Does anyone know how to suppress these messages?

I have my Dishnetwork STB (Vip211) connected via Input 6, and have the sound conntected by fiber-optic cable to my receiver.

I have my DVD player connected via Input 7, and again use a fiber-optic cable to the receiver for the sound.

I don't experience the problem you describe. Is the problem just with some A2000s? Or just with some external devices? Or only when combining certain external devices with certain TV models (or builds of those models)? All good questions, to which I have no answer.

Try using Input 7, instead of Input 6.

post #3718 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 02:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

If that's Sony's only other SXRD, then I would say I'm correct in that the XBR1 is the first gen of this unit. The MSRP of that 70 inch tells me it was not ordinary, right off the assembly line TV, so I don't think it counts.

The XBR1 is the first generation "mass produced" SXRD set built by Sony. It's the third generation SXRD devices. The Qualia 004 front projector was the first, and a year later, the Qualia 006 was second. I think Sony would disagree with you.

Calibration Resources:

post #3719 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You will get the popup when inputting DD5.1 or PLII over HDMI. A 2 channel stereo signal will be accepted without the popup. Try running through your receiver to the A2000
post #3720 of 14280 Old 08-19-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

I have my Dishnetwork STB (Vip211) connected via Input 6, and have the sound conntected by fiber-optic cable to my receiver.

I have my DVD player connected via Input 7, and again use a fiber-optic cable to the receiver for the sound.

I don't experience the problem you describe. Is the problem just with some A2000s? Or just with some external devices? Or only when combining certain external devices with certain TV models (or builds of those models)? All good questions, to which I have no answer.

Try using Input 7, instead of Input 6.

Using the other input does not work even if you connect the audio cables into the jacks. The best I can figure is that the problem may be with incompatibility between some DVR HDMI when DD is enabled - like the Directv H10-250 and the A2000 HDMI. If you disable the DD or connect to a non DD broadcast station, you get sound through the HDMI, but this is inconvenient to keep switching. I do not know but it may be cleared up when the new HR20's come out.

Justin

Panasonic 50" Plasma TC-P50-GT30
Panasonic 58" Plasma TC-P58V10
Panasonic Blu Ray Player DMP-BDT 210 and 110
Marantz SR6006 (2)
Aperion Verus Grand Speakers

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page