The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4501 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I looked in the manual and saw that they say not to use the hdmi connection to hook up a pc to the tv. Bummer. So then I saw that the best resolution that the vga connection offers is nowhere close to the 1920x1080. So I hooked up my pc via the hdmi anyway! and it worked, and its looks great. I am running my pc at 1920x1080 with only one problem. There is some overscan issue where part of the desktop border is getting cut out. Is this a problem with the tv? Can it be fixed through the service menu? Does this mean that my hd cable is also getting cut out?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 01:22 PM

For those who have been following my problem of having no sound coming out of my 5.1 surround system (digital co-ax from Comcast 6200 stb to co-ax in on receiver), I finally figured it out. this is after reprograming the receiver i/o ports a few times as I was sure this was the problem, talking with Comcast a couple of times, reprograming the cable box, ext... I'd guess about 4-5 hours were spent either tinkering with, or thinking about, how to solve this problem.

I decided at 11:30 last night it was finally time to go behind the A/V tower and start unhooking cables to see if I messed up here somehow. I was certain I didn't but you never know. This is no easy task as I have wired the whole house for A/V, remote controls, telephone, computer, etc... and there are well over 100 terminations back there. I get to the cable in question and start to unscrew it (it is a digital coax plugged into an f-style adaptor that then screws into a co-ax terminal). I notice that cable isn't unscrewing like it should and next thing you know, the cable pulls right out of the termination. Knowing that this isn't a good thing, I replace the cable and as soon as it touches the input - instant sound.

Go figure -

Maybe that one company that pistonsfan mentioned in a previous post has a multi-thousand $ cable I can buy to not have this happen again.
post #4503 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricgreen1 View Post

So I looked in the manual and saw that they say not to use the hdmi connection to hook up a pc to the tv. Bummer. So then I saw that the best resolution that the vga connection offers is nowhere close to the 1920x1080. So I hooked up my pc via the hdmi anyway! and it worked, and its looks great. I am running my pc at 1920x1080 with only one problem. There is some overscan issue where part of the desktop border is getting cut out. Is this a problem with the tv? Can it be fixed through the service menu? Does this mean that my hd cable is also getting cut out?

Thanks!

Many people here have been running their PC with a DVI->HDMI connection. I am using an ATI x600 in my HTPC and used Powerstrip to created a custom resolution that fits on the screen. They have a little wizard where you take the mouse and draw a box that fits the screen and it creates a resultion using that enclosed area. I get beautiful 1:1 pixel mapping and videos and DVDs played off the PC look great!
post #4504 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Thanks!

From what I've read and gathered from others here, the panels seem to be set up to purposely overscan. You can likely use the service menu to show the full image, but some say that in doing so you will lose the perfect 1:1 pixel mapping. From what I estimate there is about 2.5% overscan at 1080i on the top and bottom and about 2% on the sides. Also as a side note you'll likely want to vertically center the image better - see my recent post in the owners thread for details on how to do that.
post #4505 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTFORUM View Post

My 50A2000 seems to have some audio synch issues. The mouth movements on people do not synch up with the words.

I use the built in tuner with basic cable, which actually also provides all the local channels in HD and several digital music channels when I use the built-in QAM tuner. I've tried turning on and off the True XT Surround and also have tried using the A/V synch item on the sound menu. As I understand it, that is for use with an external sound system. Since the problem I have is happening with the built-in speakers I do not think that will apply to this problem. Is anybody else seeing this issue? Any ideas on how to handle this problem?

I picked it up on Sunday, but I am sad to say that it is a July build and it has a serial number lower than those suspected to have the low pass filter problem.

EDIT: FYI that I called BB warranty and although they were friendly, they couldn't get anybody to me for almost 3 weeks. So, I arranged for an exchange. The new set arrives Tuesday. If it has the same problem, I'll spend more time trying to hunt for other potential root causes.

Well, I got my new set today and I'm not happy with it. This set is an August build (last one was July).

This set still has the audio sync problem and I swear that the SD channels look worse. I've tried several things, including ensuring that there was a direct cable with nothing else in the path from the cable to the TV. Also, this set's "Standard" picture setting seems to have a problem with reds. Some channels are overwhelmed with red and many channels seem to have a strong red undertone to them. It would appear that the out of the box color calibration is worse than the last one (which was actually quite good).

I don't want to set off any alarms. I'll spend more time with it tonight and send an update.
post #4506 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyny View Post

Been using that exact same model for over a month on my 60XBR1 with a B&W 22lb center channel speaker. Works like a charm and most of the speakers weight is on the BACK cabinet.

I used the same model with an Ascend 340 (28 lbs.) for 10 months on an A10 which is probably a more solid case than the A2000 and the top bezel has sunk approx. 1/8 of an inch. It is true that most of the weight is on the back and I was told that, that is where the most costly damage can occur. I built a shelf above the A2000 for the center channel.
post #4507 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Well, I got my new set today and I'm not happy with it. This set is an August build (last one was July).

This set still has the audio sync problem and I swear that the SD channels look worse. I've tried several things, including ensuring that there was a direct cable with nothing else in the path from the cable to the TV. Also, this set's "Standard" picture setting seems to have a problem with reds. Some channels are overwhelmed with red and many channels seem to have a strong red undertone to them. It would appear that the out of the box color calibration is worse than the last one (which was actually quite good).

I don't want to set off any alarms. I'll spend more time with it tonight and send an update.

Did you have this issue with a previous set? I suspect it's your cable box. Have you checked with the forum on issue with it?

Reggie

Family Room:

70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar Triton Twos-center channel and surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/Marantz Turntable

Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds

post #4508 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Do you see the same problems with OTA HD using the internal tuner?

edit: nvm, i thought you were on comcast :P

60A2000 - June build, 3 tuner Media Center, XBox 360 extender
post #4509 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Short View Post

Did you have this issue with a previous set? I suspect it's your cable box. Have you checked with the forum on issue with it?

I thought standard def looked great and didn't have the red undertone problem on the previous set. I definitely had the audio problem on the last set. I don't have a cable box. Just using the built-in tuner - which gets all the Denver channels in HD via the QAM tuner.

I'll take a look again and will have my wife take a look tonight once I get home from work (was home for the delivery). I'll also do some forum searches.
post #4510 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT99US View Post

Well I have finally received my new Sony 50A2000 and have just set it up in the new cabinet, and couldn't be happier.... The wife said it couldn't sit out on a stand, so I had to have a cabinet made to hold it. I also had to include side towers to hold some of her what-nots. I have been reading here for sometimes now and want to thank all of you that help guide me towards my purchase of the Sony, I could not be happier !!! Picture included..

That's a beautiful cabinet - looks like you paid more for it than for the set.

Dick O'Keefe
post #4511 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 03:35 PM

hooked my pc up thru hdmi, fixed the overscan, only problem is the color and brightness are way off. I've spent a couple of hours trying to fix it and still can't get it right. I'm using an nvidia card, anyone have this problem besides me?
post #4512 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoD View Post

I am using an ATI x600 in my HTPC and used Powerstrip to created a custom resolution that fits on the screen. I get beautiful 1:1 pixel mapping and videos and DVDs played off the PC look great!

GhettoD - are you running 1080p or 1080i (ie: did you set it for 60 or 30 Hz at 1920x1080)? My ATI 9600 recognizes the SXRD when set to 60 Hz, but, the SXRD says it's an unsupported signal. When at 30 Hz, the connection works fine, but, there is overscan. From what I've read, 1080i on the ATI cards does create overscan (in fact I posted a link that purports to tell how to fix it a couple pages back). I'd rather just run 1080p (60Hz), so, if there is a trick to doing so, please pass it on.

Also, have you resolved the issue of the SXRD losing sync when you switch inputs and then come back to your HTPC input?

I tried setting up hot keys to switch between 1080i and 720p resolutions and that seemed to work. Media Player didn't seem bothered by it, but, the Fusion HDTV software locked up.
post #4513 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie C View Post

I used the same model with an Ascend 340 (28 lbs.) for 10 months on an A10 which is probably a more solid case than the A2000 and the top bezel has sunk approx. 1/8 of an inch. It is true that most of the weight is on the back and I was told that, that is where the most costly damage can occur. I built a shelf above the A2000 for the center channel.

You had damage on the BACK of your set? All that rests on the black bezel are the 2 feet from the stand and nothing's sunk on mine.
post #4514 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 04:45 PM
dea

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

From what I've read, 1080i on the ATI cards does create overscan.

Since the set is an RPTV there will always be overscan if you want to get pixel perfect image. It just is how the thing works. If you are using HDMI to connect the ATI card to your TV, I'd guess that it'll pass the full resolution as pixel perfect to your TV and because the projector inside the TV is set to overscan few %, it'll look like it's the cards fault when in reality 'thats just things are'.
post #4515 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 05:11 PM

For anyone interested, the Sony A2000 + HDMI/DVI to PC has been horrible, at least for me. I wouldn't recommend it just yet if you want to make a HTPC around it.
post #4516 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoD View Post

Many people here have been running their PC with a DVI->HDMI connection. I am using an ATI x600 in my HTPC and used Powerstrip to created a custom resolution that fits on the screen. They have a little wizard where you take the mouse and draw a box that fits the screen and it creates a resultion using that enclosed area. I get beautiful 1:1 pixel mapping and videos and DVDs played off the PC look great!

Thanks for all of the replies.

Sory for being anl, but I payed good money for a display that has a resolution of 1920x1080 and I want to see every pixel. The nvidia drivers also have a featuire that will create a custom resolution. I end up with a resolution of 1810x1020 (Thats bs, I want the full 1080p resolution). But for some reason this setting does not seem to stick. Thats like buying a ferrari and finding out that in stead of having 500hp you are getting only 450! . Isnt there a uniform screen scale option I can tweak in the service menu?
post #4517 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for all of the replies.

Sory for being anl, but I payed good money for a display that has a resolution of 1920x1080 and I want to see every pixel. The nvidia drivers also have a featuire that will create a custom resolution. I end up with a resolution of 1810x1020 (Thats bs, I want the full 1080p resolution). But for some reason this setting does not seem to stick. Thats like buying a ferrari and finding out that in stead of having 500hp you are getting only 450! . Isnt there a uniform screen scale option I can tweak in the service menu?

You paid good money for a TELEVISION! not a computer. Chill dude.
post #4518 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 05:37 PM
rsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

You paid good money for a TELEVISION! not a computer. Chill dude.

In this day and age of HTPC's and the last few years of having televisions ship with fairly functional PC-friendly connections on them, I don't know that I totally agree with that sentiment.

Sort of like telling someone just because he got a Honda Ridgeline (Truck) instead of a Chevy Truck, it makes sense that the wheels fell off when he threw some 2x4s and a bag of cement from Home Depot in the back. It *was* still a truck, and I don't think wheels are suppose to fall off cars...

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #4519 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dea View Post

Since the set is an RPTV there will always be overscan if you want to get pixel perfect image. It just is how the thing works. If you are using HDMI to connect the ATI card to your TV, I'd guess that it'll pass the full resolution as pixel perfect to your TV and because the projector inside the TV is set to overscan few %, it'll look like it's the cards fault when in reality 'thats just things are'.

Why is this have to be the case? Can they not produce a 1920x1080 pixel perfect image on a RPTV, and then allow some scaling/overscanning for those that want it? Or if not, did they have to make it so large (mine is about 3%)?
post #4520 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post

That's a beautiful cabinet - looks like you paid more for it than for the set.

Dick O'Keefe

Yep, $2250 for TV $3500 for Cabinet.
post #4521 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Thats like buying a ferrari and finding out that in stead of having 500hp you are getting only 450! .

Let's see: 500hp - 2.5% = 487.5hp, not 450hp.

In reality Televisions have always had overscan on the order of 5-7%. Sony has tightened this up a fair amount on this set. Some overscan is needed to:
1) Provide some manufacturing tolerance
2) Allow for some changes in alignment due to temperature shifts, shipping effects, uneven floors, aging.
3) Allow for "sloppy" broadcast standards.

Dave Hancock
post #4522 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.10-Crux View Post

Do you see the same problems with OTA HD using the internal tuner?

edit: nvm, i thought you were on comcast :P

You were right. I am on comcast. I can't get OTA HD where I live (as far as I know). I will see about trying out a standard OTA broadcast, though. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #4523 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post

In this day and age of HTPC's and the last few years of having televisions ship with fairly functional PC-friendly connections on them, I don't know that I totally agree with that sentiment.

Sort of like telling someone just because he got a Honda Ridgeline (Truck) instead of a Chevy Truck, it makes sense that the wheels fell off when he threw some 2x4s and a bag of cement from Home Depot in the back. It *was* still a truck, and I don't think wheels are suppose to fall off cars...

Most A2000's will never ever see a computer, you hear about HTPC's because people in here are more tech savvy. Go into CC, BB, or Costco and ask customers looking at TV's if they plan to use it as an HTPC and they say "what the hell is an HTPC"?
Yes, a lot of sets have VGA, but again, most of those people could care less it has VGA (if they even know what VGA is). They want the prettiest picture for American Idol.
I also plan on using either the A2000 or Mits 831 series (which has DVI) as an HTPC but my number one concern is PQ. I know for a fact i can get 1080 from my graphics card. I will know in advance what the TV will give me as far as a PC display, what i don't know is how the TV does 3:2 pulldown to eliminate judder.
As far as the truck analogy, the Honda and Chevy are both trucks......the A2000 and PC are 2 different animals.
post #4524 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyny View Post

Been using that exact same model for over a month on my 60XBR1 with a B&W 22lb center channel speaker. Works like a charm and most of the speakers weight is on the BACK cabinet.

That is why it is so bad, the back cabinet holds the main mirror. You don't want the back to sag or distort.
post #4525 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 07:15 PM

>

Is this TV (50A2000) as least as good as last years XBR in terms of picture quality for upconverted DVDs, and next gen DVD, HDTV? I heard about problems with a downgraded DRC chip, no HDMI 1.3 compatability, etc. I don't need the PIP and cablecard stuff anyway.

Also is the matching stand a worthwhile purchase (I think it looks nice) or are there better (classier, sturdier, etc) stands out there?

Thanks for the help.
post #4526 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

I'm sure this question has been answered here before, and I apologize for asking again, but I guess I really can't read through all 150+ pages of posts. But...

What are the differences between the ##A2000 line and the ##XBR2 lines?
post #4527 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 09:39 PM

lol. Okay I expected some noob hazing.

I'll start from page 1 tomorrow when I have time. But you know, sometimes its nice to be nice
post #4528 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My A2000 is on he way and should be delivered later this week. I just read the October edition of Home Theater and they review the 60 A2000. One negative they mention several time is that the picture looks soft in HD and not as detailed as previous XBR1 they tested. Could it be that the set they tested has the same problem with a 1080P black and white line pattern that can be fixed with the CNET settings in the service men?

They also say they could only get 1040 lines of resolution. Is this the overscan problem?
post #4529 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 09:45 PM
rsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1013 View Post

>

Is this TV (50A2000) as least as good as last years XBR in terms of picture quality for upconverted DVDs, and next gen DVD, HDTV? I heard about problems with a downgraded DRC chip, no HDMI 1.3 compatability, etc. I don't need the PIP and cablecard stuff anyway.

Also is the matching stand a worthwhile purchase (I think it looks nice) or are there better (classier, sturdier, etc) stands out there?

Thanks for the help.

Quick reply for you: I believe they are on par with eachother. There is even a rumor that the A2000 is just a repackaged XBR1 with some refinement to the inputs. Either way , I think the general answer here is "yes".

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #4530 of 14278 Old 09-05-2006, 09:46 PM
rsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawil View Post

I'm sure this question has been answered here before, and I apologize for asking again, but I guess I really can't read through all 150+ pages of posts. But...

What are the differences between the ##A2000 line and the ##XBR2 lines?

These are some of the differences I'm aware of:
1) XBR2 uses the 180watt bulb, the A2000 uses a 120watt I believe like the XBR1s did.
2) XBR2 has an extra HDMI connection on the side I think it is.
3) XBR2 has a different DRC chip revision.

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page