The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Newbie
 
jrtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Darn you guys you got me in one of those feeding frenzy. I just got off the phone with abt and they matched the J&R price including shipping. The sales person was very nice and I think they have about 30 left. He mentioned they are getting quite a few orders from members of this forum. He said it will ship out and I should have it next week great now I have got to get my cherry block flooring installed.
jrtiger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Member
 
jonathankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do the a2000's have hdmi 1.3?
If not, then will it be able to accept full 1080p from ps3, which is going to use hdmi 1.3?
jonathankk is offline  
post #633 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
fade23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathankk View Post

Do the a2000's have hdmi 1.3?
If not, then will it be able to accept full 1080p from ps3, which is going to use hdmi 1.3?

No it doesn't, but yes it will.
fade23 is offline  
post #634 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Member
 
jonathankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's probably the best viewing distance for the 50 in.?
jonathankk is offline  
post #635 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Member
 
drmrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathankk View Post

What's probably the best viewing distance for the 50 in.?

The sony manual lists the following:


50 inch 6.6 ft. (minimum)
55 inch 6.8 ft.
60 inch 7 ft.

(seems like very little difference to me, but that's what the manual says are the minimum viewing distances)

or consult this link

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...rticle_id=1137

Don't worry about buying the wrong technology....you don't buy technology, you RENT it!
drmrw is offline  
post #636 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Member
 
blkhawk661's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bugger.. looks like i'm calling abt to get a few more $$$ off... i didnt quite get the j&r price.
blkhawk661 is offline  
post #637 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Member
 
RWF2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvita View Post

Does anyone else besides me find the lack of a picture & picture (or P-in-P) feature on this set as ridiculous as I do? Isn't some sort of P&P capability pretty much a standard feature on TVs in this general price class (i.e. in competing sets from Samsung, Mits, etc.)? It's astonishing that Sony is selling a $3700 TV that lacks this rather garden variety (by today's standards) feature.

It's particularly irritating for me, since I've been looking forward for some time to upgrading my 3.5 year old 50" GWII to a 60" SXRD. I use the P&P (TwinView) on the GWII all the time and find it very useful (especially on Sundays during football season). I'm width-constrained, so the "dumbo ear-less" cabinet design is essential. Sony finally comes out with a 60" SXRD w/a compact cabinet, and they inexplicably leave out the TwinView feature (!). Of course, I'm sure the 60" XBR2 will have it; and heck, I might even be willing to pay more to get it, but of course, the 60" XBR2 is the one model in the new lineup that still retains the idiotic non-removable dumbo ears. Freakin' morons!

Just seems like a very poor choice on Sony's part to make P&P one of things used to create bogus differentiation between the A2000 and XBR2 lines.

You summed up my thoughts exactly. I've been waiting for months for this television because it will fit my space. Now it comes out without Pand P or cable card. I would pay more money for the 60 inch XBR2 but it won't fit with the side speakers. Guess I'll have to wait for the JVC's to become available.

RWF
RWF2 is offline  
post #638 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Newbie
 
prozone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=luckyflyer]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum360 View Post

I talked with the manager at Myer Emco about the possible group purchase. I gave him a rough estimate of 10 people be interested. They have 20+ 60" sets in stock. He's going to get back with me today about a specific price but he at least confirmed that it would be below the price listed on Belmont's site for the 60" A2000. I'll PM all who are interested with details.

Please email me also.
Thanks,
Lucky

please pm me
prozone
prozone is offline  
post #639 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Member
 
krik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting ready to pull the trigger real soon. My question is that will I get a better picture using my Denon DVD-3800 and having the A2000 scale internally to 1080p or buying an OPPO 971 and let the OPPO do the upconverting?

BTW, looooooong time lurker. Finally made my 1st post!
krik is offline  
post #640 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Member
 
cankster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just pulled the trigger. ABT completely matched J&R's price shipping and everything. Should be here at the end of the week.

Cankster
cankster is offline  
post #641 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Member
 
blkhawk661's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I assume everyone is wondering... "do i go ABT, J &R or the group buy"....a general FYI.. i got a better deal from ABT then the price i heard from the Myer Emco "group guy" being arranged, but not quite as good as J&R. I'm okay with that b/c of the return policy and the fact they i can get the TV sooner rather than later.
blkhawk661 is offline  
post #642 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Member
 
blkhawk661's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cankster View Post

Just pulled the trigger. ABT completely matched J&R's price shipping and everything. Should be here at the end of the week.

Cankster

good god.. this is quite the trigger party we have tonight!
blkhawk661 is offline  
post #643 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scsiraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krik View Post

Getting ready to pull the trigger real soon. My question is that will I get a better picture using my Denon DVD-3800 and having the A2000 scale internally to 1080p or buying an OPPO 971 and let the OPPO do the upconverting?

BTW, looooooong time lurker. Finally made my 1st post!

I would expect the best results would be from feeding 480p via HDMI to the TV. This minimizes the image processing. DVD player would deinterlace to 480p and the tv would scale to 1080p which is a total of two image manipulations... 720p would have the DVD deinterlace to 480p and scale to 720p and then the tv would scale again to 1080p. 1080i would have the DVD deinterlace to 480p and scale to 1080i and then the tv would deinterlace to 1080p. So I would rank 480p as first, 720p as second with 1080i last. Multiple deinterlacing seems to be asking for motion issues.

The validity of this depends on quality of deinterlacers and scalers and represents only my opinion. YMMV. Counterpoint discussion would be welcome.
scsiraid is offline  
post #644 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Member
 
SalvatoreLucian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a tad discouraged by hearing all of the reports of the price matching of JR.com by ABT ELec....

I HAVE NOT PULLED THE TRIGGER YET...but I was told earlier this afternoon that it was not possible, because the JR.com price was for "PRE-ORDERS" only....therefore they wouldnt match it...

Can anyone pass along any info or trigger words that might help me get the price match as well...other than, "about 5 to 6 people got the price match from this forum alone"...hahaha...

And/or pass along the name of the salesrep that you worked with...

Thanks!
SalvatoreLucian is offline  
post #645 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Member
 
krik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

I would expect the best results would be from feeding 480p via HDMI to the TV. This minimizes the image processing. DVD player would deinterlace to 480p and the tv would scale to 1080p which is a total of two image manipulations... 720p would have the DVD deinterlace to 480p and scale to 720p and then the tv would scale again to 1080p. 1080i would have the DVD deinterlace to 480p and scale to 1080i and then the tv would deinterlace to 1080p. So I would rank 480p as first, 720p as second with 1080i last. Multiple deinterlacing seems to be asking for motion issues.

The validity of this depends on quality of deinterlacers and scalers and represents only my opinion. YMMV. Counterpoint discussion would be welcome.

Would the OPPO 971 deinterlace the 480i to 480p and THEN upconvert to 1080i? I thought since we are already dealing with a native interlaced signal(480i), the 971 would just upconvert to 1080i and then the A2000 would handle the deinterlacing to 1080p?
krik is offline  
post #646 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Member
 
drmrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a bit confused....Is this the owner's group thread or the "where do I buy the A2000 thread?"

Am I alone in this regard????

Don't worry about buying the wrong technology....you don't buy technology, you RENT it!
drmrw is offline  
post #647 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scsiraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krik View Post

Would the OPPO 971 deinterlace the 480i to 480p and THEN upconvert to 1080i? I thought since we are already dealing with a native interlaced signal(480i), the 971 would just upconvert to 1080i and then the A2000 would handle the deinterlacing to 1080p?

I believe you have to have the entire progressive frame in order to scale else you dont have all the lines to interpolate between to accurately add the extra lines....
scsiraid is offline  
post #648 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Newbie
 
locoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where is a link to this TV on ABT Elec. I cannot find on thier website

THanks
locoman is offline  
post #649 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Member
 
SalvatoreLucian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmrw View Post

I'm a bit confused....Is this the owner's group thread or the "where do I buy the A2000 thread?"

Am I alone in this regard????

Get over it...there seems to be a boat load of interest in the topic and it is clearly an extremely relevant one by most accounts, and by the end of this week or next we will all be owners...

It isn't as if the current "owners" are dropping review posts left and right...
SalvatoreLucian is offline  
post #650 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Newbie
 
Andy2346's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Raleigh, N.C.
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No you are not.....New member here, long time lurker.....I've been reading and reading looking for some new info and it's just not happening here.

I AGREE WITH DRMRW
Andy2346 is offline  
post #651 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Member
 
SalvatoreLucian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2346 View Post

No you are not.....New member here, long time lurker.....I've been reading and reading looking for some new info and it's just not happening here.

It is as much info as you are going to get until some other members actually get the set delivered...

So in the meantime it seems extremely legit to talk about the easiest/most cost effective way for more members to get the set...

If you would research this forum properly you would also find a previous thread with a couple thousand + posts that will get you up to speed in conjuction with the first couple pages of this thread, and that should keep you busy in the mean time until more members ACTUALLY get the set to comment on it...
SalvatoreLucian is offline  
post #652 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Member
 
drmrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvatoreLucian View Post

Get over it...there seems to be a boat load of interest in the topic and it is clearly an extremely relevant one by most accounts, and by the end of this week or next we will all be owners...

It isn't as if the current "owners" are dropping review posts left and right...

Wow, you're right! I just needed to get over it! Thanks so much for your help!

Don't worry about buying the wrong technology....you don't buy technology, you RENT it!
drmrw is offline  
post #653 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Newbie
 
Andy2346's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Raleigh, N.C.
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvatoreLucian View Post

It is as much info as you are going to get until some other members actually get the set delivered...

So in the meantime it seems extremely legit to talk about the easiest/most cost effective way for more members to get the set...

If you would research this forum properly you would also find a previous thread with a couple thousand + posts that will get you up to speed in conjuction with the first couple pages of this thread, and that should keep you busy in the mean time until more members ACTUALLY get the set to comment on it...


I have read every thread on this topic in the last several months, and am amazed how much good information is in here. Like many others, I am anxious to hear from the owners as they get their new sets.
Andy2346 is offline  
post #654 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,772
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvatoreLucian View Post

So in the meantime it seems extremely legit to talk about the easiest/most cost effective way for more members to get the set...

Of course it's legit, but it's normally done in a thread devoted to that kind of material. Doing it in an owner's thread diminishes the value of the owner posts that get lost in all the "where did you see it?" and the improper "what did you pay?" messages.

What usually happens is that another "owner's" thread gets started to replace the one that's been overloaded with countless messages that are not relevant to the topic of this thread.

I'm amazed at the speed with which you became an abator of forum standards and practice.
htwaits is offline  
post #655 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Member
 
trobinson71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmrw View Post

The xbox DOES go full screen on it,......through component video cables, no problem. It would not display full screen using the VGA cable for the XBOX into the PC VGA connection on the A2000. When you connect the VGA cable to the XBOX, it detects it and then only displays about 6 or 7 different resolutions. I tried every one and i couldn't get full screen. If anyone knows of some setting to change and ACTUALLY GETS THE XBOX TO DISPLAY PROPERLY please give me a shout, because i'd like to use VGA. Thankfully, I think that the component looks great. Now don't get me wrong.....it may display fullscreen (wide) VGA with other TV sets. I just couldn't get it to do it with the A2000

Sony did that on purpose to punish you for buying an Xbox instead of waiting on the PS3....
trobinson71 is offline  
post #656 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

I would expect the best results would be from feeding 480p via HDMI to the TV. This minimizes the image processing. DVD player would deinterlace to 480p and the tv would scale to 1080p which is a total of two image manipulations... 720p would have the DVD deinterlace to 480p and scale to 720p and then the tv would scale again to 1080p. 1080i would have the DVD deinterlace to 480p and scale to 1080i and then the tv would deinterlace to 1080p. So I would rank 480p as first, 720p as second with 1080i last. Multiple deinterlacing seems to be asking for motion issues.

The validity of this depends on quality of deinterlacers and scalers and represents only my opinion. YMMV. Counterpoint discussion would be welcome.


The best result would be to buy an HD-A1 to do the up-sampling.

jmpage2 is offline  
post #657 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Member
 
SalvatoreLucian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Of course it's legit, but it's normally done in a thread devoted to that kind of material. Doing it in an owner's thread diminishes the value of the owner posts that get lost in all the "where did you see it?" and the improper "what did you pay?" messages.

What usually happens is that another "owner's" thread gets started to replace the one that's been overloaded with countless messages that are not relevant to the topic of this thread.

I'm amazed at the speed with which you became an abator of forum standards and practice.

Actually I'm the farthest thing from it...I dont care that much...it's NOT that serious...

All I'am saying is that until more of us become owners, it is in my opinion a realtive topic, and from the MANY others that have posted multiple times on it, it seems to be one of great interest...and again, more importantly, it isnt as if the current "owners" are dropping review posts left and right...

Again, its not that serious...take a chill pill and just go with the flow...let people talk about all things related A2000 and just get over it...it will be OK...
SalvatoreLucian is offline  
post #658 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Member
 
JAY102269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NIRVANA!!

Got my 60a2000 this afternoon. WOW!!!! This is my first HDTV and all I can say is I'm glad I went with the A2000. HD channels look awsome and SD is not bad as long as you're not to close. I ordered the set last Thursday and got it today. Actually took a chance ordering from a NYC e-tailer. Figured my CC would bail me out if it got dicey. Salesman put me on the spot and said he would ship out the same day if I ordered right away. He lived up to his promise. I got the tracking no. that same afternoon and called freight co. next day to confirm. Still waiting for the DVI-HDMI cable so I can set up my HTPC. I'm going to run thru my ATI card to get 1080P. I tried to upload pics but disclaimer said my files were to large. Any idea why? Could it be I'm running to high at 2816X2112 in the pics?


OK had to take Resolution down to 800X640 to upload. I'm afreaid PQ will suffer though. Will try to send more once wife hits the sack.
LL
LL
JAY102269 is offline  
post #659 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 07:15 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,772
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvatoreLucian View Post

Again, its not that serious...take a chill pill and just go with the flow...let people talk about all things related A2000 and just get over it...it will be OK...

Thanks for your kind concern for the quality of AVS forums. Of course you are right. Maintaining the topic of a thread does interfere with the flow. I'll try to get over it, but I may need more help.

In fact, your idea is so powerful that I think that you should suggest to the owners of AVS that more than one thread per manufacturer is inhibiting free discussion.

A real possibility
htwaits is offline  
post #660 of 14280 Old 07-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Senior Member
 
fade23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I put my money down at Ultimate Electronics here in Phoenix this afternoon. According to the salesmen, they have these in their central warehouse now, and expect local delivery by Friday.
fade23 is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off