The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 14284 Old 07-24-2006, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=OneDude]

Why do you guys choose ABT over JR if it is the same price? Is there any difference in quality of stores?

QUOTE]

because they are in-stock

It's not TV unless it's HDTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 14284 Old 07-24-2006, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson71 View Post

Seems like a pretty active discussion at present..... isn't that what's most important? Rules are for losers

There are a lot of active discussions in the forums and most of them are on topic. Unfortunately, this one has deteriorated into a feeding frenzy. Perhaps you need to be schooled into what an owners thread is supposed to accomplish?
You see, here's how it works....a new TV is announced like the A2000, so then a thread is started which basically allows people to talk about it ad nauseum until they start to deliver to people's homes, then, an owners thread appears, which allows owners to post their pics, or just comment on their purchase while being readily available to people with questions about the new TV. You see, in here, an OWNER is someone who has the actual TV in their living room, bedroom, bathroom, BDSM room, or whatever. It's NOT a place to post prices, see who got the better deal, or gang up for a group sale. There are people reading this thread who are trying to figure out if the A2000 is worth shelling out $3000 or more. They need to know as much information as possible whether it be connectivity, picture settings, etc, not whether ABT can squish J & R.
post #723 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

You obviously don't know what an "owner's thread" is about. Similar pricing threads have been shut down and its only a matter of time before that happens to this one. Then the viable post will be gone too. That's the problem.

Carpe Diem! type quickly my friends, as the AVS Gestapo is racing up the stairs.... type, type I say!

Seriously though, thanks for the re-direct... love this forum and all the informed opinions... recommendations for a title to capture what THIS thread has seemingly turned into? then we can leave it the the owners.... peace
post #724 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 12:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat_1 View Post

What is the best stuff to clean our screens with. I was going to pickup some Monster Screen Wash but for the price wanted to see if there was anything else others recommended

Use a micro-fiber cloth that has no cleaning additives. If you have a trouble spot just dampen the cloth slightly. If you have a real big mess check out this product that Eliab uses.

Klear Screen
post #725 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:

lipcrkr,

So when do you think the moderator will stroke out and shut down the thread? All this talk about where to buy it at what price is so much against forum rules and who really cares when people order their sets.

You guys have to realize that there haven't been many posts by owners. I am not sure why but questions are not being answered. Now that myself and many others have put our orders in we will hopefully be supplying YOU with the answers to YOUR questions. If we were getting in the way of owners trying to answer question I would say you have a point. Just relax for a few more days and you will get answers.

post #726 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 12:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So when do you think the moderator will stroke out and shut down the thread? All this talk about where to buy it at what price is so much against forum rules and who really cares when people order their sets.

The cheerleaders don't seem to understand what will happen.

Where the "flow" leads to.

Note: 735 posts in about 31 hours. Where's the beef?
post #727 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 12:32 AM

Hey all. I just read through all 25 pages in one sitting. And i feel great.

I'm curious... my friend is already givng me sh*t about "I have to buy Plasma", everything else doesn't compare. etc. Apart from the price can anyone offer me some advice, tech talk, facts, as to Plasma (say pioneer elite) vs SXRD?

I've done some google searches but it's been weak at best ...and you can never tell who really knows what they are talking about!

Thanks for any help!
post #728 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Foo View Post

OK, I downloaded the ImgBurn program and it worked like a charm.

Attached is a picture I took of the screen during the VERTREZ test.

I have marked the block of interest with the word "HERE", which I believe is the correct one to look at from the instructions in the link that fade23 posted above.

If this is the correct block of lines to looks at, then I have good news for everybody.

The lines in this block all remain distinct, which I believe siginifies that the A2000 is doing a proper weave deinterlace and preserving the full 1080 lines of resolution.

I ran the VERTREZ MOTION test and I suppose I need help in assessing the results (and can't really post a readable screen cap because of the motion). The lines remain distinct in this test but when the line/blade sweeps through the block the trailing edge of the line/blade as it sweeps through the block of lines has some black along it. The rest of the block shows the distinct lines same as the VERTREZ test. Note also that when I pause the test, the entire block goes black - not sure what that means if anything.

For what it's worth, I've had the .iso from fade23 burned last week and tested on my VPL-VW100 Ruby. I won't receive my 60A2000 until later today, Tuesday, 7/25. The results of what Mr. Foo is seeing appears to be identical to how it's handled in the Ruby. I'll post back after trying and verifying on the A2000. Hopefully, I'll also post some screen shots and any issues or lack thereof (green blob, etc.).

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #729 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbrone View Post

I'm curious... my friend is already givng me sh*t about "I have to buy Plasma", everything else doesn't compare. etc. Apart from the price can anyone offer me some advice, tech talk, facts, as to Plasma (say pioneer elite) vs SXRD?

I've done some google searches but it's been weak at best ...and you can never tell who really knows what they are talking about!

Thanks for any help!

I can tell you I am very interested to see the new 50" 1080p pioneer, but I dont consider it an option because of price. That being said, I like sxrd over plasma because while both have good pictures I felt the sxrd looked more sharp. I am not a techie as most but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There was somthing about being able to see the individual pixels that bothers me. I know it is not a big deal but it just bothers me. I say if you can afford the 1080p pioneer, go for it.

post #730 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 12:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Apart from the price can anyone offer me some advice, tech talk, facts, as to Plasma (say pioneer elite) vs SXRD?

How about this.

1. 50" 1080p Pioneer Elite @ $10k MSRP.

2. ~60" whatever ~$3k MSRP.

How's your pocket book?
post #731 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Is any owner planning on using this set with home theater audio? What about the center speaker? If it's like most of the new RPTVs, the top isn't flat so the speaker can't be placed there. My current CRT RPTV has a nice flat top.
post #732 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Does the screen seem robust enough to survive contact with little fingers? My CRT RPTV has a clear protective panel. Does this? If not, are there third party panels available for this purpose?
post #733 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Thanks for any help!

Plasma is much brighter and flatter, so you can hang it on a wall. However, the SXRD's look great too and are 1920x1080. There are very few plasma's that are/will do the full HD rez and they're a lot more expensive. It's a question of value/price-performance. That should be the measure for anything you buy, especially that goes into your home theater. At some point, the cost of improved PQ and/or other benefit, increase exponentially. You need to find the product with a value you can afford to live with. AND you need to see it for yourself, especially if you're going to lay down 1080p plasma money.

As full HD source continues to be more readily available (like HD-DVD), you'll be happier in the long run with a display that can render all of those pixels. Buying a plasma with less resolution is a compromise. That's just my 2 pennies worth. Sony's SXRD products are a good value to me. YMMV.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #734 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 01:35 AM

My point is if you have a pocket book that wont miss 10k then price vs. performance isnt an issue. I agree that the sxrd is the best value hdtv a person could buy. The pioneer may not be as good a value but it "may" have better PQ.

post #735 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

Does the screen seem robust enough to survive contact with little fingers? My CRT RPTV has a clear protective panel. Does this? If not, are there third party panels available for this purpose?

The first time I ever saw the xbr1 at best buy the guy on the floor knocked on the screen with his knuckles like he was the police. I guess he was trying to sell me the tv based on it's ability to survive a nuclear attack. Anyway, not sure about the a2000 but when I get mine I will try to post a comparison of screens with the xbr1.

post #736 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 01:45 AM

After ordering my a2000 with abt I hung up the phone thinking, I wonder why they didn't try to sell me anything else, not even a service plan. Did anyone else have this experience? Guess I was expecting them to be like every other retailer.

post #737 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treberg View Post

After ordering my a2000 with abt I hung up the phone thinking, I wonder why they didn't try to sell me anything else, not even a service plan. Did anyone else have this experience? Guess I was expecting them to be like every other retailer.

My guy mentioned a stand and warranty. But it was a very soft sale, no pressure at all. Nice really.

Cankster
post #738 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabch22 View Post

Just called Sony again to verify the answer to your question, and 4/5 yrs is total, not in addition to the manf. warranty. When you buy the TV is when the warranty would start. Unless you buy from Sony you do not get the promo for the buy a 4yr plan and get an extra yr free.

Well, 1stopplasma sold me this plan. Or at least they said they did.

Owner, The Rolex Reference Page
www.rolexreferencepage.com
post #739 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

There are a lot of active discussions in the forums and most of them are on topic. Unfortunately, this one has deteriorated into a feeding frenzy. Perhaps you need to be schooled into what an owners thread is supposed to accomplish?
You see, here's how it works....a new TV is announced like the A2000, so then a thread is started which basically allows people to talk about it ad nauseum until they start to deliver to people's homes, then, an owners thread appears, which allows owners to post their pics, or just comment on their purchase while being readily available to people with questions about the new TV. You see, in here, an OWNER is someone who has the actual TV in their living room, bedroom, bathroom, BDSM room, or whatever. It's NOT a place to post prices, see who got the better deal, or gang up for a group sale. There are people reading this thread who are trying to figure out if the A2000 is worth shelling out $3000 or more. They need to know as much information as possible whether it be connectivity, picture settings, etc, not whether ABT can squish J & R.

Golly Dad, we were just having fun. But, OK. Can I go to my room now sir? (head down, hands in pockets, shuffling shoe in the dirt).

The Beav
post #740 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfgacek View Post

As a novice A2000 owner, can someone point me toward a good thread or what not on the basic tuning steps to go through to deliver the best picture? I certainly think out of the box it looks darn good but would like to see what to do to make it better.

cheers,
tim

This is a good question. Is an Avia type set up disc still the way to go? I bought one 5 years ago...it's in the house...somewhere....

Owner, The Rolex Reference Page
www.rolexreferencepage.com
post #741 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 05:08 AM

Liked: 12
I went with a good friend of mine yesterday to pick up his new a2000. It is very nice right out of the box. He did purchase a 5 year warrenty with 1 bulb replacement . But anyway, awsome set. My retailer didn;t even know they were coming today, but he called as soon as they were off the truck, my friend and i were there 1 hour later buying his tv. My store is a local owned high end store, and they were only able to get 3 sets from sony on the first delivery.
post #742 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 480

please note forum rules: no price talk other than MSRP

Thank you

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #743 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom View Post

This whole debate on whether the A2000 can show full screen from VGA is just crazy. Given that over 90% of home PC's run windows and they have supplied their TV with a VGA port, how could it be possible that the TV coldn't support full screen?

Show me the full screen with windows, give me your setting, your hardware, And there will be no debate....as i said before, the XBOX 360 won't do it either. Several members have said that it is a limitation of the set. If they are wrong, show us the pictures please. Otherwise the debate is moot.

Don't worry about buying the wrong technology....you don't buy technology, you RENT it!
post #744 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treberg View Post

You guys have to realize that there haven't been many posts by owners. I am not sure why but questions are not being answered. Now that myself and many others have put our orders in we will hopefully be supplying YOU with the answers to YOUR questions. If we were getting in the way of owners trying to answer question I would say you have a point. Just relax for a few more days and you will get answers.

Hey Treberg, why not just start an A2000 buyers thread? Few posts or not, it is the wrong material. And now this thread is getting clogged up with posts like mine talking about how this is the wrong thread. Now look at what you made me do! DOH! Now I need to start another thread that discusses how buying information doesn't belong in the owner's thread.......

Don't worry about buying the wrong technology....you don't buy technology, you RENT it!
post #745 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 05:54 AM

Do any of the 60" owners wish they had gone with a smaller size?
post #746 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkhead View Post

When I load windows with bootcamp, the (weakest area?) is the display drivers? What are you talking about? I have full ATI Catalyst Drivers for the device. It does make a difference. Apple has setup however they do displays to automatically detect HDTVs, it even says the model name when you go to system preferences > displays, it says a2000. My friends and I Have always had problems with windows displaying full across HDTV screens, it always tries some 4:3 stuff, and I know we've got it working, but not without tweaking with a bunch of settings with a fine comb tooth. I'll I'm saying is I just plug in my macbook pro with OS X booted and it's full 16:9 1920x1080 resolution of the display at 67hz.

I've tried plenty of Dell laptops, towers, and my macbook in windows (with the same damn drivers everyone uses) and it always takes "hacking" to get it to display on the HDTV properly.

look for a PM since this is off topic
post #747 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 06:20 AM

Here a couple more pics. 1st is LOTR thru Sony DVP HDMI. Pic is not the best. I had to take camera resolution down to 800X640 to upload to site. 2nd is Bush 60" TV stand.
LL
LL
post #748 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY102269 View Post

Here a couple more pics. 1st is LOTR thru Sony DVP HDMI. Pic is not the best. I had to take camera resolution down to 800X640 to upload to site. 2nd is Bush 60" TV stand.

How far back are you sitting? I noticed that this stand is about 6 inches taller than the Sony stand. Does this cause you any viewing discomfort? BTW, I have a very similar stand, that is why I'm asking.
post #749 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 06:37 AM

For all of those who bought extended warranties which included bulb replacement, I ask you a question.

At what point are you eligible for a new bulb under the warranty? Do you have to wait until your TV goes 100% dark? Or the 'end of bulb life' message appears? Or can you call on them when you think the set has gotten darker?

Cheers.
post #750 of 14284 Old 07-25-2006, 06:48 AM

Liked: 11
Can anyone point me to a link with some information on the Sony 4 yr extended warranty with 1 additional year for free? I see it mentioned a lot in this thread, but I don't see any mention of this deal on the SonyStyle website. I just see their standard 2, 3, 4, and 5 year EW's. Thanks.

Ron
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page