The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfgacek View Post

Yes. Both front screen pics are "stretched SD". or Wide Zoom per the menu which is the "stretched with minimal distortion".

Pics are SD from a DirecTV Tivo DVR using the S-Video connector which is the best connector that has. Getting at least a component video cable for my DVD player (sorry folks no HD DVD as the TV has delayed that purchase) and am also interested in seeing it but I already see a difference in blockiness between even DirecTV SD and normal DVD with the DVD looking slightly better without being nit picky technical.

Brightness to me does not seem to be an issue at all as mine is at 50% there for those pics and I played with it somewhat and it seems like it can get to be too much without going much higher than even 55 to 60 tops.

Also trying to get a hold of a connector to hook up my dell inspiron 8600 widescreen laptop to see what that looks like.

cheers,
tim

Follow-up question: Anyone recommend a good medium range/power HD OTA antenna?

cheers,
tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Foo View Post

Guys - I am almost done putting the stand together. I have to break to put the kiddies to bed and will have the tv up and running shortly thereafter (if my wife is able to lift it with me from the floor to the stand top).

For those that I asked about HD-DVD and Xbox 360 (and I just glanced through the posts briefly), I have both units and can do tests for you when I get everything configured. If there is anything specific that you'd like me to do please post or pm and I will try and accomodate. Thanks.

Please measure the length of the back short side of the 60A2000 stand, if that's the one you have.

I have some built in fixtures that make it a tight fit and need to make a cardboard template of the stand.

Thanks!
post #63 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
ENOUGH!!! More info on "green blob" or lack of...
Color uniformity, anamorphic B&W, etc...

What are the problems...if any?

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #64 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mr Foo,

Thank you for your offer to test some things out for us. Given that you have an Xbox 360, I have a test suggestion for you that should help to alleviate THE MAIN QUESTION on many people's minds about the a2000 series: namely... does it properly deinterlace 1080i.

This test is not precise, but it should be good enough to tide us over until someone comes along with advanced 1080i test patterns. As you know, the Xbox 360 is capable of outputting in both 720p and 1080i. While the internal resolution of the Xbox 360 is 720p, I have heard it does a good job of upscaling to 1080i. Could you try out both modes (with no DRC sharpening or any special modes) and let us know which one appears sharper. It might be hard to tell within a game in motion, but I've heard that the dashboard menus (especially if you have a detailed background) look sharper with the 1080i output.

Here is what this "might" prove:

A) If you can't tell the difference... it proves nothing (but thanks for trying anyway).
B) If the 720p looks sharper, then we have cause for concern (because the a2000 might be just bobbing 1080i content instead of deinterlacing).
C) If 1080i looks the sharpest, we have our first partial proof that the a2000 series properly deinterlaces 1080i content.

As a side note: I'm personally interested in your opinion on how bright the display is, and if you can notice any video game lag (at 720p without game mode, and at 480i & 1080i with game mode). Wow that's quite a few requests. If you can answer even one of these requests, I'd be appreciative. Have a blast with your new TV!!!

My A2000 Settings for the S3 TiVo, PS3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii.
My A2000 Lag Test & A2000 Lag Timing Estimations.
post #65 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 09:40 PM

Geez, enough with the does it overscan, underscan, pincusion ,bra wearing, hhtcp lines lineup, show dotted green dots ???s
We want to know if the POWER BUTTON works???
Are you pleased with the way HD looks, color,details on the set???
post #66 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

"This is not a defect but a characteristic of the LCD panels."

LMAO! First time i've read the memo. Gotta love the "it's normal" party line that pretty much all manufacturers of all products on earth these days spew. Anyways, here's hoping this non-defect is fixed in these new models
post #67 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treberg View Post

Anyone know if BB will have these by the 24th. I have a 12% coupon that is good until then.

Where do you get such a coupon? I don't ever recall seeing a BB coupon?
post #68 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 09:48 PM

I hope the owners are not posting because they are in a daze and drooling over the PQ. Cant blame them. Next couple of days should answer a lot. Enjoy.

It's not TV unless it's HDTV.
post #69 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDogCatia View Post

Where do you get such a coupon? I don't ever recall seeing a BB coupon?

Reward zone members get them in the mail.

It's not TV unless it's HDTV.
post #70 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Solution A)

You may reduce this effect by changing some user settings as follows:

(1) Change the Color Temperature setting to Cool - (refer to page 81-82 of the instruction manual). ........

So the Sony recommended solution to go a 10K color temp (i.e., "cool") to lessen the problem!

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #71 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

I have to get up in a few hours so I must head to bed now.

Everything is set up and I got to play with it for a couple of hours. I have not messed with the settings much yet. I do have DVE and plan on running through that tomorrow night.

Keep in mind w.r.t. the below that I am replacing a Mitz CRT RPTV and previously couldn't take advantage of any SD upscaling until now.

1) SD DVD upconverting on my Denon DVD-5910 is stunning. Tried Fifth Element Superbit and Monsters Inc and was very pleased with what I am seeing so far

2) I watched some of Chronicles of Riddick on HD-DVD and was equally stunned. Much improvement over what I was seeing over component with the Mitz.

3) I was unimpressed with SD and HD Directv but I am not sure if this actually means anything since it's satellite.

4) Can't really notice much of a huge difference with Xbox 360 at 720 or 1080. I played only one game, Table Tennis, and didn't notice any lag problems at either resolution, game mode set to off. If there is a better title to test out, let me know as I have pretty much the entire 360 library (except for MLB which I recall someone saying was a good one to try).

I have to sleep now. Let me just add that I am more of an audiophile than a videophile so I need to digest some of the information being discussed here and try more things over the next couple of days. I will try and help out as best I can to answer everyone's questions. It's really the least I can do considering how helpful I have found these forums in helping me make this decision to try out this set.

First impressions are in general that I am pleased but keep in mind what I was upgrading from.
post #72 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

So the Sony recommended solution to go a 10K color temp (i.e., "cool") to lessen the problem!

Ron Jones

My reasoning for posting the service bulletin is to find out from the owners what they are seeing upon startup and the first 30 minutes. The other part, where Sony suggests you change your settings doesn't concern me because if the A2000 is similar to the 2005 SXRD's this means they didn't address the temperature/thermal issues which caused the green blob in the first place and it will force me to buy a plasma.
I'm hoping some of the owners can put a gray background on after about an hour and check for discoloration or staining. This is very important, we need to know if the colors are what they're supposed to be, where they're supposed to be, and stay where they're supposed to be. What i'm really hoping for is an owner who previously had the XBR but returned it because of the color uniformity problems who knows what to look for. The reason for this is newbies who have this set might not see the problem when in fact it's there. The A2000 doesn't have the memory stick screen which made it easier to see the green haze.
post #73 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to get up in a few hours so I must head to bed now.

Everything is set up and I got to play with it for a couple of hours. I have not messed with the settings much yet. I do have DVE and plan on running through that tomorrow night.

Keep in mind w.r.t. the below that I am replacing a Mitz CRT RPTV and previously couldn't take advantage of any SD upscaling until now.

1) SD DVD upconverting on my Denon DVD-5910 is stunning. Tried Fifth Element Superbit and Monsters Inc and was very pleased with what I am seeing so far

2) I watched some of Chronicles of Riddick on HD-DVD and was equally stunned. Much improvement over what I was seeing over component with the Mitz.

3) I was unimpressed with SD and HD Directv but I am not sure if this actually means anything since it's satellite.

4) Can't really notice much of a huge difference with Xbox 360 at 720 or 1080. I played only one game, Table Tennis, and didn't notice any lag problems at either resolution, game mode set to off. If there is a better title to test out, let me know as I have pretty much the entire 360 library (except for MLB which I recall someone saying was a good one to try).

I have to sleep now. Let me just add that I am more of an audiophile than a videophile so I need to digest some of the information being discussed here and try more things over the next couple of days. I will try and help out as best I can to answer everyone's questions. It's really the least I can do considering how helpful I have found these forums in helping me make this decision to try out this set.

First impressions are in general that I am pleased but keep in mind what I was upgrading from.

NOOOOOOOOO.......DON'T SLEEP!!!!!!
post #74 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

2) I watched some of Chronicles of Riddick on HD-DVD and was equally stunned. Much improvement over what I was seeing over component with the Mitz. What was the native resolution of your old set?

That's encouraging, as the Mitsubishi sets were known to be some some of the worst offenders in the bob test.

Quote:

Are you able to force the 360 to output at 480i? That's the only signal that's likely to exhibit lag anyway, and what would cause the most concern.
post #75 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

My reasoning for posting the service bulletin is to find out from the owners what they are seeing upon startup and the first 30 minutes. The other part, where Sony suggests you change your settings doesn't concern me because if the A2000 is similar to the 2005 SXRD's this means they didn't address the temperature/thermal issues which caused the green blob in the first place and it will force me to buy a plasma.
I'm hoping some of the owners can put a gray background on after about an hour and check for discoloration or staining. This is very important, we need to know if the colors are what they're supposed to be, where they're supposed to be, and stay where they're supposed to be. What i'm really hoping for is an owner who previously had the XBR but returned it because of the color uniformity problems who knows what to look for. The reason for this is newbies who have this set might not see the problem when in fact it's there. The A2000 doesn't have the memory stick screen which made it easier to see the green haze.

It will be quite some time before you know for sure. My 2005 SXRD has never had any color uniformity issues whatsoever. I've used the gray screen, I've used a multitude of tests on avia, as well as various other screens and I've never seen anything but uniform color. Therefore, its possible that there are good A2000 sets out there and that it will take some time to find out if there are bad ones as well.

Nonetheless, lets hope that they are all for the most part great.
post #76 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 11:25 PM

before we transform this 2006 SXRD owner's thread into another green blob thread, I would like to ask the owners if they are able to tell if there is any noticable PQ improvement to the 2005 XBR1 or they feel it's the same or worst.

Let's first figure out if these A2000 are a step forward or backward in terms of PQ compared to the 2005 models.........
as far as any potential problems (including the dreaded green blob) I'm sure they will come out in the next few weeks as they ALWAYS do in these forums

Plasma LCD or SED ?
AVS Forums Procedure
post #77 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpe8598 View Post

It will be quite some time before you know for sure. My 2005 SXRD has never had any color uniformity issues whatsoever. I've used the gray screen, I've used a multitude of tests on avia, as well as various other screens and I've never seen anything but uniform color. Therefore, its possible that there are good A2000 sets out there and that it will take some time to find out if there are bad ones as well.

Nonetheless, lets hope that they are all for the most part great.

Are you saying your XBR never had the green haze upon startup or are you saying it does but goes away after a few seconds/minutes?
post #78 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 11:30 PM

Tweetters told me my PreOrder won't get in till Aug 1st. But they were happy to tel me the tv stand was already in (Yipee)
post #79 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My 2005 SXRD has never had any color uniformity issues whatsoever.

Excellent point. It would be highly desirable for all owners of Sony SXRDs to report their findings with respect to color uniformity. It's quite possible that the percentage of 2006 sets with the problem will differ from that of the 2005 sets. Hopefully the 2006 percentage will be asymptotically close to zero.

I have a September 2005 60XBR1 that has a severe case of the green blob syndrome. The retailer from whom I recently purchased it will be exchanging that set for a 2006 XBR2, once one becomes available.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #80 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My 60A2000 from TTW arrives on Tuesday. I have a Toshiba HD-A1 that I can test with. I've asked fade23 in a PM for a copy of his test material (post #15). I also have the HDNet test patterns stored on my HD-TiVo, so I should be able to post what I see next week, including a review. I'll drag one of these up from my HT in order to calibrate/tweak the 60A2000.

If some one beats me to it, please let us know what you find. Also, please post your settings after any tuning/calibration.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #81 of 14280 Old 07-20-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

Excellent point. It would be highly desirable for all owners of Sony SXRDs to report their findings with respect to color uniformity. It's quite possible that the percentage of 2006 sets with the problem will differ from that of the 2005 sets. Hopefully the 2006 percentage will be asymptotically close to zero.

I have a September 2005 60XBR1 that has a severe case of the green blob syndrome. The retailer from whom I recently purchased it will be exchanging that set for a 2006 XBR2, once one becomes available.

Congratulations, that will be awesome.
post #82 of 14280 Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 AM

tfgacek, Brandon, Mr. Foo, and others,

Please let us know where you purchased your sets from (stores as well as cities), so we can give these early arrival retailers/etailers our business. Also this will tell us where others, who are not quite ready to buy, may go to see these sets with their own eyes.

Thanks
post #83 of 14280 Old 07-21-2006, 02:51 AM

I know someone asked about a 360 w/a VGA cable. I'll get my set today so I'll try VGA vs. component at various resolutions and post my comments.

Question....Regarding SD pictures, I am getting a Direct TV HD DVR and it has component output as well as HDMI. I was planning on using the A2000's ability to save separate settings with each input and optimize one input for SD signals and the other (HDMI) for HD. I imagine you can get a decent SD image by easing up on the sharpness and changing some other variables. Is that what folks tend to do? It sounds like the easiest way to optimize things....

Thanks

Oh yes, some folks wanted this link for the LCoS shootout (grueling tests of various LCoS units compared to industry standard CRT) I now have enough posts to include links!

Shootout

Don't worry about buying the wrong technology....you don't buy technology, you RENT it!
post #84 of 14280 Old 07-21-2006, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by fade23 View Post

Are you able to force the 360 to output at 480i? That's the only signal that's likely to exhibit lag anyway, and what would cause the most concern.

Why would anyone choose to view 480i on a native 1080P panel via x360? Your replicating a false event as a result as only a moron would set 360 at 480i the worst possible resolution and defeats the purpose of owning a x360. Troubleshooting to replicate events you want real life conditions that produce an event - choosing 480i on true HD gaming console and panel is producing a false lag issue even if it occurs. The only purpose I could see is in checking the abilities of a DVDO VP20/30 with a ADT102 Deinterlace Card (if anyone has added one to their set for another $2K) as I can't imagine anyone setting X360 to 480i.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #85 of 14280 Old 07-21-2006, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Actually I am adding the A2000 to my VP30 w/ABT102. Will be inputting everything at 1080P

My set shipped from ABT yesterday and is scheduled for delivery on Tues.
post #86 of 14280 Old 07-21-2006, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
this is so amazing. Anyone have a screen that is completely grey or completely white? That would be good to check for color issues.

What's your choice today?
Follow the Rules

post #87 of 14280 Old 07-21-2006, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Why would anyone choose to view 480i on a native 1080P panel...?

Perhaps that person still uses a video game system that outputs 480i; I still have my original NES hooked up. (Of course, I still only have my 32" TV; things will be changing VERY soon.)
post #88 of 14280 Old 07-21-2006, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
what still outputs in 480i? and if so, i think lag should be the least of that persons concerns.

What's your choice today?
Follow the Rules

post #89 of 14280 Old 07-21-2006, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Since we all want to see the A2000's in person, I just started a thread titled "Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 SXRD in-store display viewing locations". Hopefully we'll be able to keep that kind of information seperate from this thread so it's easier to find information later on. Check it out at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...27#post8047827
post #90 of 14280 Old 07-21-2006, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please let us know where you purchased your sets from (stores as well as cities),

Purchased from SonyStyle.com. I never thought they would actually ship out on the advertised date (7/17), but they did. Someone in another thread had said they changed the expected ship date on the site... I haven't checked again, though. Not sure if they sold their initial allottment.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page