The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 419 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12541 of 14278 Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen View Post

50A2000 purchased November 06, offered 52EX700 for $465.

Pro-rated depreciation doesn't seem to hold as an explanation.

It is all Sony nonsense. I purchased my 55a2000 in Nov. 2006 and initially was offered the 52ex700 for $700 and the 55ex500 for $650. Then, as I said previously, after contacting Sarah, they offered me the 55ex500 as refurbished for no cost and then today they called back out of the blue and offered it brand new for $250. That's a whopping $400 dollar difference! And I never even pressed for a new one yesterday, just said I would consider the refurb. deal over the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12542 of 14278 Old 05-29-2010, 07:42 AM

So which model line are most people going for to replace their a2000's?

Ive also been offered either a 60ex500 or 60ex700. Having a hard time choosing. Tried to see both TV's yesterday but BestBuy had their ex700 about 15ft up and tilting up.

Decisions decisions...
post #12543 of 14278 Old 05-29-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdandy5875 View Post

Today I got in touch with Sarah about ongoing problems with my 60a2000. I had the OB replaced about a month ago for a green blob, and a few weeks later the problem started again in a different spot.

She offered me another optical block replacement (ugh), or a REFURBISHED 60ex700 at no charge. I'm not to keen on having a refurbished set so I asked for a NEW 60ex500 and was obliged. Again no additional costs.

Hopefully the ex500 I get will turn out to be a good choice.

Also, was only "allowed" a 6 month warranty on the NEW ex500. Her reasoning was that my original 60a2000 came with a 6 month warranty. I'll have to see what I can do about extending it.

Overall I guess I'm happy with this resolution thus far.

I was at best buy a few weeks ago and really didn't like the off angle black levels of the ex700 vs the ex500. I stream content from my xbox 360 so I wasn't interested in the internet capabilities of the ex700. LED would have been nice as well as the reduced power consumption and slim factor, but just something about REFURBISHED units turn me off completely. I've heard of lag and voice sync problems with the ex500 though, hopefully I won't have these issues. Improper voice sync will drive me crazy, and they'll be hearing from me promptly is this new unit shows signs of audio/video mismatch or excessive lag.

I sent in the serial number sticker as well as the required pic of the problem. Hopefully I'll see a confirmation and shipment notice next week. After I get the new set I will probably replace the OB once more (myself, I'm pretty handy) and try to sell my beloved 60a2000 for $600-$800. Recouping my losses for the new bulb I just bought and the refurbished OB.

Thanks to this thread and the avid posters who presented such comprehensive information. I was ready to hit the roof after the OB replacement turned out bad. I'm not sure what kind of offer I would have gotten from sony CS without Sarah, but she seemed very prompt and courteous. I would recommend anyone with ongoing problems to seek help from her through facebook (of all places, imo facebook is evil I barely ever go on it).

Good luck all. Its to bad these lcos sets turned out bad. IMO they still handle motion better than 120hz lcd's. I absolutely loved my a2000 for the 3 years it functioned top notch, not one complaint until the OB problem. It was so nice to see my friends buying lcs after LCD years after I bought my a2000, and their new sets still couldn't hold a candle to my big old rear projection. They were always trying to better me and none of them really ever did. I went through 3 bulbs in 3 years and sure toward the bulb life expectancy (6k hours or so), it would be pretty dim, but I'd pop a new bulb in and it was like brand new again. I would have happily kept buying bulbs for years to come.

That's great that you were offered the 60ex500 at no cost. Congrats!

Agreed on SXRD. My 50A2000 is still superior in some ways to my 52EX700 (but my OB problem was in the REALLY early stages). It's brighter, and the extremely close pixel width made for a really film-like picture on Blu-Ray.

OTOH, the EX700 blows the A2000 away in baseline black level, and in features. So I'm still happy with the trade-up.

I wish the SXRD sets had been able to go the distance in terms of durability. It's an amazing display technology. I hope that those who invested in SXRD Front Projectors do not suffer the same problems we had to. I do get the impression that Sony went on the cheap with the RP optical blocks (like, just a $2 UV fillter and some dust protection could have saved the whole thing....).

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.
post #12544 of 14278 Old 05-29-2010, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastamoon View Post

So which model line are most people going for to replace their a2000's?

Ive also been offered either a 60ex500 or 60ex700. Having a hard time choosing. Tried to see both TV's yesterday but BestBuy had their ex700 about 15ft up and tilting up.

Decisions decisions...

Yeah, there's no way you can judge the EX700 in those sorts of conditions.

If viewing angle is a prime concern (i.e. you SERIOUSLY need like 175 degrees or something for your room), go with the ex500. Otherwise, go with the 700 - you get lower power bills and robust internet streaming.

post #12545 of 14278 Old 05-29-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Yeah, there's no way you can judge the EX700 in those sorts of conditions.

If viewing angle is a prime concern (i.e. you SERIOUSLY need like 175 degrees or something for your room), go with the ex500. Otherwise, go with the 700 - you get lower power bills and robust internet streaming.

I actually witnessed the ex7's black levels gray up significantly with about a 25-30 degree off center perspective (60 degree viewing angle), which is why I chose to opt for the ex500 which stayed uniform for most of the viewing angle up to about 70 degrees off center (140degrees total). I have a chair and a love seat at about 40 degrees off center so this was a major factor for me. Even over 60-70 degrees just a small color change on the ex5. I looked at both tv's for a good half hour each with the same feed, which in this case happened to be iron man.

Let me re-iterate that a store is really no place to compare certain differences. The sets are usually on demo mode or a wacky saturated "vivid" mode. I've also seen how the stores will "amp down" the tvs they don't want move as many of, and have their more lucrative ones set up half way decent. First thing I ask them is "where is the remote" so I can change the settings myself, and then I just stare at the tv for long enough for them to go away and leave me on my own, then I start screwing with the settings.

Good luck everyone.
post #12546 of 14278 Old 05-29-2010, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdandy5875 View Post

I actually witnessed the ex7's black levels gray up significantly with about a 25-30 degree off center perspective (60 degree viewing angle), which is why I chose to opt for the ex500 which stayed uniform for most of the viewing angle up to about 70 degrees off center (140degrees total). I have a chair and a love seat at about 40 degrees off center so this was a major factor for me. Even over 60-70 degrees just a small color change on the ex5. I looked at both tv's for a good half hour each with the same feed, which in this case happened to be iron man.

Let me re-iterate that a store is really no place to compare certain differences. The sets are usually on demo mode or a wacky saturated "vivid" mode. I've also seen how the stores will "amp down" the tvs they don't want move as many of, and have their more lucrative ones set up half way decent. First thing I ask them is "where is the remote" so I can change the settings myself, and then I just stare at the tv for long enough for them to go away and leave me on my own, then I start screwing with the settings.

Good luck everyone.

I agree that the ex700 has a smaller optimum viewing angle. But the angle is also a function of distance. In a store at 2 feet, certainly, 60 degrees sounds right. But at the ~8-10 foot distance in my living room, I would peg it more at 90-100 than 60, for "significant" degradation. Definitely less than the EX500, but not crippling or unusable. It's a matter of taste, too, of course. It's only in the far seat of one of our couches (at about 45 degrees off center, but also closer to the screen, which accentuates it) that it becomes apparent. In my experience, the vertical viewing angle is way worse than the horizontal (vertical I might peg at 60-70).

Either way, my recommendation stands. If you need some serious viewing angle, the 500 is the way to go. Also, they seem to be offering the EX500 at larger sizes for cheaper. EX700 will satisfy those who want a more versatile all-in-one solution (e.g. streaming) and greater power efficiency. Both sets have trade-offs. But they're both good and both should represent an upgrade over an A2000, in terms of black level and feature set.

post #12547 of 14278 Old 06-01-2010, 11:39 AM

My 60A2000's OB seems to be failing for a second time now. Purchased the TV August 2006, repaired in July 2008, and now the greenish yellow haze again. I messaged Sarah Kepler via her Facebook page (is there a better method of contact?), what else should I be doing to get this fixed? I had to fight Sony pretty hard last time just to pay 50% of the repair bill. I don't want to have to go through that again as well as worrying whether or not this is going to crop up again in another 2 years.
post #12548 of 14278 Old 06-01-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaysonE View Post

My 60A2000's OB seems to be failing for a second time now. Purchased the TV August 2006, repaired in July 2008, and now the greenish yellow haze again. I messaged Sarah Kepler via her Facebook page (is there a better method of contact?), what else should I be doing to get this fixed? I had to fight Sony pretty hard last time just to pay 50% of the repair bill. I don't want to have to go through that again as well as worrying whether or not this is going to crop up again in another 2 years.

Not only should you easily get exchange offers, they should be correspondingly lower in price due to your out of pocket expenses in repairs. BE SURE to mention the $$$ amount you spent on the repair (which is covered retroactively by the extended OB warranty), and that you would like this to be reflected in the exchange offer prices. If you have an event number from your previous interactions with Sony, include that also.

Contacting Sarah should be enough. I'm sure there is a backlog due to the holiday. If she doesn't reply by the end of the day, message her again, or try her coworkers Arica Cooper and Brooke Hurley on Facebook.

Be firm, but also positive and polite.

post #12549 of 14278 Old 06-01-2010, 06:24 PM

Agree totally with mweflen here. Sony should actually send you a check for the out of pocket you spent for OB replacement(s) along with a new KDL-60EX700 or EX500 of your choice for $0.00. Let us know if you continue having trouble reaching any of them. I just received a message via Facebook from Sarah today stating that the Chicago warehouse was off over Holiday weekend and was unable to get tracking info to me today and will probably be tomorrow before I receive tracking. Just by this correspondence, I know she and her team is on the ball. Obviously, proof will be in the pudding when my new 60EX700 is sitting on my stand.

Quote:

Not only should you easily get exchange offers, they should be correspondingly lower in price due to your out of pocket expenses in repairs. BE SURE to mention the $$$ amount you spent on the repair (which is covered retroactively by the extended OB warranty), and that you would like this to be reflected in the exchange offer prices. If you have an event number from your previous interactions with Sony, include that also.

Contacting Sarah should be enough. I'm sure there is a backlog due to the holiday. If she doesn't reply by the end of the day, message her again, or try her coworkers Arica Cooper and Brooke Hurley on Facebook.

Be firm, but also positive and polite.

post #12550 of 14278 Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 PM

I just want to say that I have had NO communication issues to this point with Sarah. I contacted her today through Facebook and got a response within hours. She noted that she found my file from the previous repair and was reviewing it. I'm expecting a phone call tomorrow. I just want faith in my TV back, not having to worry about another repair in 2 years.
post #12551 of 14278 Old 06-01-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBOSS View Post

Agree totally with mweflen here. Sony should actually send you a check for the out of pocket you spent for OB replacement(s) along with a new KDL-60EX700 or EX500 of your choice for $0.00. Let us know if you continue having trouble reaching any of them. I just received a message via Facebook from Sarah today stating that the Chicago warehouse was off over Holiday weekend and was unable to get tracking info to me today and will probably be tomorrow before I receive tracking. Just by this correspondence, I know she and her team is on the ball. Obviously, proof will be in the pudding when my new 60EX700 is sitting on my stand.

how did you get sarah to offer you the 700, did you have to pay any and did you only get a 3 months warranty?
post #12552 of 14278 Old 06-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Aside from viewing angle issues, which I get, which set has better overall
hd pq with blu-ray and ota input?

I'm on the edge of getting out now as opposed to waiting until the new models release later this year.

Cnet likes the ex700 and gives it a pretty positive reviews. They really like all the features it comes with.
post #12553 of 14278 Old 06-02-2010, 05:09 AM

Sorry, I didn't mention it that I had the 60xbr2. I started keeping up with this a2000 thread because you guys seemed to be on the ball more in getting replacement offers from Sony and this is where I found out how to contact Sarah. My father in law has an 60a2000 as well. However, the troubles Cayson5 was having he's due the 700 if he so desires. Since Sony just reduced price of the 700 by $300 the a2000 owners may be able to start requesting them as well. It seems like they have a formula/flow chart they go by for offers now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmasina View Post

how did you get sarah to offer you the 700, did you have to pay any and did you only get a 3 months warranty?

post #12554 of 14278 Old 06-02-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBOSS View Post

Sorry, I didn't mention it that I had the 60xbr2. I started keeping up with this a2000 thread because you guys seemed to be on the ball more in getting replacement offers from Sony and this is where I found out how to contact Sarah. My father in law has an 60a2000 as well. However, the troubles Cayson5 was having he's due the 700 if he so desires. Since Sony just reduced price of the 700 by $300 the a2000 owners may be able to start requesting them as well. It seems like they have a formula/flow chart they go by for offers now.

JPBOSS,

I was just wondering do you know what the A2000 cost was when it was new? It seems the A2000 owners are getting better offers than XBR1 & XBR2 owners.

A2000 new $3000-$3700 replaced with EX700 $2700-$3000
XBR1/2 new $4500-$5000 replaced with EX700 $2700-$3000
post #12555 of 14278 Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I got my A2000 for 1800 bucks at Circuit City back in May 06 or 07. So far the OB is ok, but, the power supply seems to be having issues. sigh.
post #12556 of 14278 Old 06-02-2010, 01:33 PM

is there a way to get extended warranty with these exchange sets, sony told me they dont offer extended warranty on replacement sets
post #12557 of 14278 Old 06-02-2010, 01:42 PM

Yes, I know dollar for dollar it's a better deal for one group than the other but like some of the others I got a tremendous deal on my brand new 60xbr2 when I bought it and when Sony made me replacement offer the 60ex700 was at 2999 so for what I paid for xbr2 I am still coming out on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdreams View Post

JPBOSS,

I was just wondering do you know what the A2000 cost was when it was new? It seems the A2000 owners are getting better offers than XBR1 & XBR2 owners.

A2000 new $3000-$3700 replaced with EX700 $2700-$3000
XBR1/2 new $4500-$5000 replaced with EX700 $2700-$3000

post #12558 of 14278 Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM

I paid $4000 for my 60A2000 in 2006. They offered a 60ex500 for $750.

I finally got my OB back from Tri-State Module yesterday. They did agreat job rebuilding it. After trying to remember how it all went together, I sparked it up, and there was that picture perfect SXRD screen that I fell in love with years ago.
post #12559 of 14278 Old 06-02-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

is there a way to get extended warranty with these exchange sets, sony told me they dont offer extended warranty on replacement sets

I was told that a new set comes with the standard 1 year warranty, and that an EW could be purchased by calling 866-618-5776. I am unsure of options for refurbished replacements.

Contact Sarah if they keep telling you no.

post #12560 of 14278 Old 06-02-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoniankid View Post

Aside from viewing angle issues, which I get, which set has better overall
hd pq with blu-ray and ota input?

I'm on the edge of getting out now as opposed to waiting until the new models release later this year.

Cnet likes the ex700 and gives it a pretty positive reviews. They really like all the features it comes with.

The CNET ex700 review is BS. Katzmaier rags on the black levels, which are SPECTACULAR. You'll see on the other reviews (LCDTVbuyingguide and televisioninfo) that the baseline black is rated as excellent. Katzmaier also says that Netflix quality is bad, which is only half true - the set measures connection speed and might downrez the stream. But at the best speeds, it is as good as PS3. So it's more of a crapshoot depending on your ISP.

I've lived with the ex700 for a week now, and it blows away my 50A2000 in every possible way except viewing angle. Detail is stronger, blacks are darker, and the features rule.

I can't speak for the ex500. But the ex700 has a great HD tuner. It pulls in signals at lower strengths than the A2000, and they look great. I'd say PQ is at least as good as the A2000, with darker black levels. I've been watching the Stanley Cup OTA, and it looks spectacular.

post #12561 of 14278 Old 06-02-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:

I was told that a new set comes with the standard 1 year warranty, and that an EW could be purchased by calling 866-618-5776. I am unsure of options for refurbished replacements.

Contact Sarah if they keep telling you no.

well sarah told me its brand new but i only have 3 months warranty because its free of charge, is there other company's that offer extended warranty?
post #12562 of 14278 Old 06-02-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well sarah told me its brand new but i only have 3 months warranty because its free of charge, is there other company's that offer extended warranty?

Try Square Trade. I've never used them, but they're supposed to be pretty good. You can get an online quote.

post #12563 of 14278 Old 06-02-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wires1 View Post

I paid $4000 for my 60A2000 in 2006. They offered a 60ex500 for $750.

I finally got my OB back from Tri-State Module yesterday. They did agreat job rebuilding it. After trying to remember how it all went together, I sparked it up, and there was that picture perfect SXRD screen that I fell in love with years ago.

So you did the repair yourself? If so how difficult was it?

I was considering trying that myself with mine so my oldest daughter can use it for a gaming TV but I am unsure of the difficulty and I dont want to waste my money if I can't pull offf the repair.
post #12564 of 14278 Old 06-02-2010, 06:48 PM

I was offered and accepted a refurbished KDL-52Z5100 with a 6 month warranty for my 50A2000. I had one message to Sarah Kepler and a call to Sony and the transaction was completed.

I have no idea as to whether I got a decent deal or not; I'm just glad to be moving forward.
post #12565 of 14278 Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 PM

Just got my sxrd back with repaired OB. Looks like it did when it was new. Now if it will only stay that way...
post #12566 of 14278 Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 AM

Liked: 15
For all those that think you might not have the blob think again.

Heres my story:

Bought in June of 07 (I have to check my reciept when I get home but that sounds correct.

And from day one had it set very close to cnet's settings. (low power mode), brightness down, warm2, etc etc.

My bulb finaly warrented replacement after 8128 hours. And so I replaced it with a new one, and reset the settings back to cnet (since over time I had to go back to full power mode, and up brightness).

Well my set on the 'calibrated' settings really doesn't show alot of green (with my 360 it might, but I have to verify that more).

However if I take the set out of warm2, and up to cool. with a white background, everything gets a hazy green, the top & bottom left corners are a much stronger green, as is the top right corner.

In normal viewing it might be impossible to tell (for now). And its hard to capture with my camara to actually show the green standing out (because the entire screen gets a hint of green, might hook up the laptop next to it to show the difference in 'white').

But I know it will get wrose. So I'm going to contact sony about this.

What i'm trying to say, is that if you had your set fairly well calibrated, you might not be seeing the green coming.

P.S.

Question:

Should I contact the person on facebook first, or call sony first?
post #12567 of 14278 Old 06-03-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdreams View Post

So you did the repair yourself? If so how difficult was it?

I was considering trying that myself with mine so my oldest daughter can use it for a gaming TV but I am unsure of the difficulty and I dont want to waste my money if I can't pull offf the repair.

Stupid easy. You just need to pull out the OB, package it up, and send it to some place like Tri-State Modules. They rebuild it and ship it back. Anything you need to disconnect has connectors that just plug into their obvious mate, so you cannot even screw up connecting it back up again.

I figured for $400 it would save a TV that cost me $4k 3.5 years ago. Worth it just as an extra TV downstairs, or for whatever.
post #12568 of 14278 Old 06-03-2010, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post

In normal viewing it might be impossible to tell (for now). And its hard to capture with my camara to actually show the green standing out (because the entire screen gets a hint of green, might hook up the laptop next to it to show the difference in 'white').

But I know it will get wrose. So I'm going to contact sony about this.

What i'm trying to say, is that if you had your set fairly well calibrated, you might not be seeing the green coming.

P.S.

Question:

Should I contact the person on facebook first, or call sony first?

I think you should call first to get an event number. They will likely tell you that there is no such thing as an exchange program. Then, go on facebook and contact one of the three women who help with this. Give then your event number (which was generated on the call). They should help you from there.

As far as detecting it, a gray field test pattern is the way to go. The lower the brightness, the better. You definitely need to get it to the point where it is visible in a photograph, because that is a part of the exchange process.

post #12569 of 14278 Old 06-04-2010, 05:15 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I think you should call first to get an event number. They will likely tell you that there is no such thing as an exchange program. Then, go on facebook and contact one of the three women who help with this. Give then your event number (which was generated on the call). They should help you from there.

As far as detecting it, a gray field test pattern is the way to go. The lower the brightness, the better. You definitely need to get it to the point where it is visible in a photograph, because that is a part of the exchange process.

Thanks. Got the event number last night.

And this morning was able to find my avia(sp?) disk and use that 100ire gray pattern. I stuck the laptop infront of the tv to help show the difference in screen uniformity, which really helps the corners stand out. Sent a PM via facebook to sarah, so now just have to sit back and wait.

-Edit

Got a reply back from Sarah

"If you have never had a repair, you do need to continue with a repair first. A repeat failure is not the norm, that is way we don't have a replacement offer for the model."

What should I do?
post #12570 of 14278 Old 06-04-2010, 07:36 AM

just got a call from my dad, they delivered the 52ex700. he said the delivery guy just left it inside the front door and left, since he said thats all he was contracted to do. thankfully, nothing was damaged and my dad hooked the tv up and said it's really nice.

i'll check it out when i get home. now i gotta figure out what to do with my 50a2000.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page