The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 476 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14251 of 14278 Old 01-24-2014, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by silphium View Post

The SXRD is now a secondary set rather than our primary, so hopefully the reduced usage will help as well.

As soon as started notcing a faint green tinge in the black portions on my 60A2000, I opted to go after a Panny Plasma and the ailing Sony has been regulated to tertiary in the excerise room. Hopefully the limited hours will extend the life of the optical block for a few more yrs.

Brettwf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14252 of 14278 Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 AM

Liked: 10

Hi everyone!

I'm writing from Poland (Central Europe) So firstable at all I have to sorry anyone for my english, and also I have to inform you that in Poland we haven't got any good service or popular forums to get quick and accurate answer.

I had problem with yellow/green blob, I replaced chip according to youtube instructions from norcal715, but after I did it succesfully (no I have blue and others colours) i have problem with black - it has blue tint in scenes where black is dominate colour (like navy blue). What I can do? I've searched the service menu, but it's to much options for person like me. Maybe I did something wrong in getting everything togheter while I was changing panel?

Thanks everyone, greetings

Mark.

post #14253 of 14278 Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 AM

I have the kds-55a2000 with the green tint can I get this tv replaced?

post #14254 of 14278 Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird6820 View Post

I have the kds-55a2000 with the green tint can I get this tv replaced?

There are earlier posts of Sony still honoring the exchange program and a more recent post that Sony has shut it down. Doesn't hurt to call Sony (look for contact info in this thread) and try. I opted to look for a non-Sony HDTV as I thought I could get a better deal than the Sony Exchange offerings.

Brettwf
post #14255 of 14278 Old 02-22-2014, 02:33 PM

I contacted Sony two weeks ago when my 2006 60 A2000 began showing a green tint vertically on both sides of the screen. The optical block unit was replaced about two years ago (I had purchased the extended warranty when I purchased the set in 2006). Sony offered 15% off a set purchased from the Sony store on-line. Very few sets were listed as qualifying for this offer.

I am now shopping for another HDTV from another manufacturer.

Does anyone know if we will ever see any type of a settlement from the class action suit?
post #14256 of 14278 Old 02-22-2014, 02:53 PM

thank u, I look 4 the number and give it a try.

post #14257 of 14278 Old 02-22-2014, 03:22 PM

I called sonny and they said they don't have any program 4 exchange, I would have 2 fix it myself or they said if I bought a new tv they would offer me a 15% discount.....I almost ran up a curb.

That was it, fix it yourself or they would give me a stinking 15% off a new 1. they should at least give me a new one!

post #14258 of 14278 Old 02-22-2014, 06:01 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMorgan View Post

I contacted Sony two weeks ago when my 2006 60 A2000 began showing a green tint vertically on both sides of the screen. The optical block unit was replaced about two years ago (I had purchased the extended warranty when I purchased the set in 2006). Sony offered 15% off a set purchased from the Sony store on-line. Very few sets were listed as qualifying for this offer.

I am now shopping for another HDTV from another manufacturer.

Does anyone know if we will ever see any type of a settlement from the class action suit?

The class action lawsuit was settled, the settlement was the exchange program. If you didn't want to be a part of the class action, you could've went after Sony yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird6820 View Post

I called sonny and they said they don't have any program 4 exchange, I would have 2 fix it myself or they said if I bought a new tv they would offer me a 15% discount.....I almost ran up a curb.

That was it, fix it yourself or they would give me a stinking 15% off a new 1. they should at least give me a new one!

I did my exchange probably 4 years ago and even then they didn't give me a new TV, I had to purchase it. They did offer a bigger discount back then though. Realistically, don't you think Sony had to end the exchange program at some point? IMHO, you should be happy you're TV lasted as long as it did. I'm usually not one to defend big corp but it has been 6+ years since the TV's were released. Anyway, I would suggest recontacting the Sony Team through Facebook and see if they can get you a better offer. It's worth a shot, all they can say is no.
post #14259 of 14278 Old 02-23-2014, 06:17 AM

'Not upset with the offer from Sony at all. There are just a lot of other good HDTVs available from other manufacturers at a more attractive price.

I think that Sony did a good job of supporting these TVs as long as they did and I am really going to miss the original great picture that this TV had when it was working properly.

It is a shame that a small engineering oversight caused such a problem with what (I feel) was a technology that was really ahead of its time.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this forum in the past and helped greatly in the set up and my enjoyment of what was originally a wonderful product.
post #14260 of 14278 Old 02-23-2014, 02:54 PM

no sure who 2 talk to on facebook but I did get in contact with cabledude0461@yahoo.com and he gave a decent price 4 the optical block.

Just my opinion, I think if Sony had r best interest in hand they would honor and fix the problem they created no matter how long it took. I wont be buying anymore from Sony! 

post #14261 of 14278 Old 04-05-2014, 03:44 PM

Liked: 12
Not sure where to post this.
My TV has the green tint issue. I don't have the time to do the repairs myself. I hate to just toss a good working TV with a fixable problem.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to possibly sell this for parts, or to someone that has the time and skills to repair it?
post #14262 of 14278 Old 04-07-2014, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Right now this 60" tv is on top of my fridge in the garage, and i want to bring it down to a better viewing level. Does anyone know where to get good metal shelving or any ideas to make this tv better for viewing.
post #14263 of 14278 Old 04-07-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey guys - I've had my KDS-A2000 for about 8 years now. I am an experienced calibrators and have kept the picture looking good. I had my first bulb warning a few months ago and change the bulb and recalibrated at that time. Everything looked fine.

Within the past couple weeks, however, I noticed the image was looking pretty green. Today I had some time to try calibrating it. To my surprise there was very little blue available on the low end. In fact, there was little blue at 50% and by the time I was down to about 30% there was no blue at all. 100% is perfectly balanced at D65. The only way I can get some blue back in the picture at say 30% is to crank in the service menu blue bias up to like 250+. Then I can get D65 at 30%, but the entire edges of the screen a blooming with blue. So that is not a fix.

Wondering whether it was the bulb, I put my other bulb back in and the problem is identical. Last I used that bulb it had a good calibration.

Therefore the conclusion I am drawing is that something has gone bad within the TV - a panel or something? Anyone familiar with this issue? If its something I need serviced I will just replace the TV at this point. But if there's something I can tweak or try fixing I'd love to hear about it.

Note: I'm aware of the green issue that so many people has problems with. But unless I'm mistaken, I don't think thisbisntrue same issue (my set always had a green tiny in the blacks and especially fade to black, but this is an entirely different issue - I think...)'.

Thanks!!
post #14264 of 14278 Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM

Peruse this thread for optical block failure posts. When I replaced my failed bulb, the first thing that I noticed was how much brighter the picture was with the new bulb. Then, I started noticing a faint green tinge on an all black background. Replaced it w/ a newer plasma TV.

brettwf
post #14265 of 14278 Old 04-08-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwf View Post

Peruse this thread for optical block failure posts. When I replaced my failed bulb, the first thing that I noticed was how much brighter the picture was with the new bulb. Then, I started noticing a faint green tinge on an all black background. Replaced it w/ a newer plasma TV.

brettwf

Thanks. I know what issue you are taking about. I've had it since the beginning with this TV and it didn't really bother me (since its not my primary viewing TV). What I'm talking about here is totally difference. There is no blue (as in zero) in the picture in IREs below 50! But yet plenty of blue above that. Strange.
post #14266 of 14278 Old 04-08-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Hey guys - I've had my KDS-A2000 for about 8 years now. I am an experienced calibrators and have kept the picture looking good. I had my first bulb warning a few months ago and change the bulb and recalibrated at that time. Everything looked fine.

Within the past couple weeks, however, I noticed the image was looking pretty green. Today I had some time to try calibrating it. To my surprise there was very little blue available on the low end. In fact, there was little blue at 50% and by the time I was down to about 30% there was no blue at all. 100% is perfectly balanced at D65. The only way I can get some blue back in the picture at say 30% is to crank in the service menu blue bias up to like 250+. Then I can get D65 at 30%, but the entire edges of the screen a blooming with blue. So that is not a fix.

Wondering whether it was the bulb, I put my other bulb back in and the problem is identical. Last I used that bulb it had a good calibration.

Therefore the conclusion I am drawing is that something has gone bad within the TV - a panel or something? Anyone familiar with this issue? If its something I need serviced I will just replace the TV at this point. But if there's something I can tweak or try fixing I'd love to hear about it.

Note: I'm aware of the green issue that so many people has problems with. But unless I'm mistaken, I don't think thisbisntrue same issue (my set always had a green tiny in the blacks and especially fade to black, but this is an entirely different issue - I think...)'.

Thanks!!

My TV started to get the green tint issue not long after I replaced the bulb. Seems that triggers the problem for some reason. It's not only the green tint issue that was a problem with those TV's, there's also the yellow and blue issue. Check out this website, it might answer your questions:
https://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/

A YouTube video on how to repair the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oP2nNPOjn_Y
post #14267 of 14278 Old 04-08-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post

My TV started to get the green tint issue not long after I replaced the bulb. Seems that triggers the problem for some reason. It's not only the green tint issue that was a problem with those TV's, there's also the yellow and blue issue. Check out this website, it might answer your questions:
https://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/

A YouTube video on how to repair the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oP2nNPOjn_Y

Thank you! Finally I now understand fully what the issue is. My green picture doesn't look quite as strong as the one shown in this video, but its similar enough for me to identify the blue SXRD panel as the issue. Just seems strange that it is OK in the higher IREs and bad in the lower IREs, but I suppose that's what a failing panel can do (and assume that it will likely continue to get worse).

What did you wind up doing?

I'm tempted to try and repair this myself. The part is available on eBay for about $130. But in watching that video I just know there is NO WAY I am going to be able to get the TV back together after taking it apart! biggrin.gif There will be several screws left over...
post #14268 of 14278 Old 04-09-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:

I'm tempted to try and repair this myself. The part is available on eBay for about $130. But in watching that video I just know there is NO WAY I am going to be able to get the TV back together after taking it apart! biggrin.gif There will be several screws left over...

I was tempted to repair, too, but opted for replacement w/ newer technology.
post #14269 of 14278 Old 04-09-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Thank you! Finally I now understand fully what the issue is. My green picture doesn't look quite as strong as the one shown in this video, but its similar enough for me to identify the blue SXRD panel as the issue. Just seems strange that it is OK in the higher IREs and bad in the lower IREs, but I suppose that's what a failing panel can do (and assume that it will likely continue to get worse).

What did you wind up doing?

Glad the links were able to answer your questions.

I ended up going through the Sony exchange program and getting a new TV for $600. The new set only lasted a little over a year, of course out of the year warranty coverage. I traded that one in another new Sony. Cost me $900 but at least they made me the offer when they really didn't have too. I was starting to feel like I was just leasing my TV's from Sony. The Sony I have now has lasted a couple of years and has a great picture. Probably one of the best sets Sony has made, the HX850. It's been replaced with a newer model now. Here's a link to the forum for that set: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1407673/official-sony-hx850-owners-thread-46hx850-55hx850

Don't worry about the extra screws, they probably weren't needed anyway. :P
post #14270 of 14278 Old 04-26-2014, 07:18 PM

I've had my kds 60a2020 for 7 yrs now and really never had an issue. I'm on my 3rd bulb but beyond that no problems until.....
My wife calls me at work 4 days ago and tells me she was watching tv (and had been for about an hour) and the tv randomly turned off. The power led blinked green for a couple minutes then it turned back on like normal. This happened randomly (maybe every 4 hours of viewing if that often) until last night when it happened 2 times within 3 hours.
This morning we watched tv for about an hour then left. I checked the tv when we left and it was off but I think maybe it turned itself off because we got back several hours later and the power led was blinking green continuously.
I've checked the lamp and tried an old lamp (still works but very dim) and get the same thing. As soon as the set is plugged in the green power led blinks 14 times, turns off then starts blinking continuously until holding down the power button.
Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post but I thought a little background might help
post #14271 of 14278 Old 04-26-2014, 11:26 PM

Liked: 14
Could be one of the fans is out. Not sure of the blink sequence but if you search the thread it will come up. Happened to mine, vacuuming the fan intakes helped for a while but they eventually were replace under the extended warranty I purchased on the set.

Frank
post #14272 of 14278 Old 04-30-2014, 06:30 AM

Turned out to be the b board (i think) and its a pretty expensive fix.
Looks like this is the end for my 60"sxrd
post #14273 of 14278 Old 04-30-2014, 07:08 AM

If you're smart, it will be the end of Sony television products for you as well. wink.gif
post #14274 of 14278 Old 04-30-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoyrj View Post

If you're smart, it will be the end of Sony television products for you as well. wink.gif

Thats what I'm thinking too.
I'm needing a 60 to 65 inch led and trying to stay under 2k. Don't do a lot of gaming and tv is in a fairly well lit room.
What's the best bang for my buck?
post #14275 of 14278 Old 04-30-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_wall98 View Post

Thats what I'm thinking too.
I'm needing a 60 to 65 inch led and trying to stay under 2k. Don't do a lot of gaming and tv is in a fairly well lit room.
What's the best bang for my buck?
I'm looking at Samsung now that my Sony 55" KDLEX710 (the Sony I was sent when my 50" KDSA2000 picture went green) is slowly going red. No more Sony products for me.

Here's a link to the Samsung I'm considering...

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN60ES6100FXZA
post #14276 of 14278 Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 AM

@s_wall98,

here are the blinking codes:
Quote:
Temp. over -2 times -The periphery of lamp heats up abnormally -No picture/No sound
Lamp cover -3 times -Lamp cover is not attached securely. -No picture/No sound
Fan error -4 times -Fan not powered/connected -No picture/No sound
Lamp driver -5 times -Lampdriver is faulty. -No picture/No sound
Power error -6 times - D5V is not supplied. -No picture/No sound
Audio prot -7 times -Speaker line is shorted. -No picture/No sound
Power OVP -8 times -7V is over voltage. -No picture/No sound
Device error -9 times -Temperature sensors, Bus decoder ICs -No picture
Lamp error -LAMP-LED flashes -Lamp for the light source burns out. -No picture/No sound

It seems, that your lamp starts to die.

Greetings 42

2x SONY KDS-55A2000; TF5000PVR 400GB; TF7700HDPVR 500GB, HUMAX PR-HD1000S;
2x Linksys KISS 1600; 60GB PS3 with 320GB; 2x Onkyo TX-SR875; Eltax Concept 700, B&W, YST-SW300

Mod @ Hifi-Forum.de
post #14277 of 14278 Old 06-25-2014, 02:46 AM

Liked: 0
I've had a KDS-55A2000 for 8 years now, never had any green/yellow screen problems and still on my first bulb.

I do have another problem which has always annoyed me and has gotten worse recently, a whining noise which comes and goes. After some searching I believe it's being caused by the Iris motor because as soon as I go to the menu and switch Iris mode it disappears.

Does anybody know how I can fix this? Is it a seperate part I could replace myself or would I have to replace the complete optical block? (I hope not)
post #14278 of 14278 Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 PM

Liked: 11
I purchased a Sony KDS-60A3000 which had one of the best pictures I've ever seen. It was so
gorgeous that my brother in law, the great procrastinator, purchased one for himself and I still
think that the public rebuke of one of the great scorned technologies (LCOS) of our time is a permanent shame on the public here in the USA. The blacks and natural colors are really comparable to my Pioneer Pro-151FD set which I bought in a panic mode as Pioneer got out of making the gorgeous Kuro sets.
The reason I am writing this is a friend of mine is in desperate need of an inexpensive tv and I can't think of something better than finding a little used LCOS set (like an SXRD bravia lcos set) which can be basically renewed by adding a new lamp.
So I am throwing this out to the collective wisdom here ( best place in the world to source educated opinions ) to see if I am thinking with a bit of clarity. I know that LCOS is still being used in high end front projections systems which suggests a bit of madness in how easily discarded it was by people wanting super thin tv's and when you consider that most HDTV bases are close to the same profile that the newer rear projections were( within 2 inches of the same footprint)
Am I on the right track?????????

when you always do what you've alway done, you always get what you always got.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page