The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by locojrp View Post

I

One week ago, I purchased a 60" XBR1 @ BB. The manufactured date is 05/2006 and it has the Green Blob issue. I didn't see it in the stores before but now that I know what to look for I can see it on the display models in my local BB's and CC's. I love the TV, but I am going to return it in a couple weeks. I am not willing to spend $4k on a TV with a green blob on the screen.

I'm hoping that the A2000 will have this issue resolved, but knowing they are being made in the same production lines where my TV was manufactured only 2 months ago doesn't seem very promising.

New Owners, the green blob (haze, tint, whatever) shows up best on a grey screen. Try finding something that will display one (I used my BrightHouse HDDVR box) and see if the screen is the same shade of grey all over. If you can't find a grey screen source then try a Black & White movie eg. Sin City.

I made a post at the beginning of this thread asking the owners to put up a gray screen to look for any color uniformity problems. I'm trying to determine whether or not the A2000's exhibit the green haze upon startup then dissapear, or if the A2000 is engineered differently meaning it doesn't need a warmup time to dissipate the green haze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill175 View Post

I had a 52628 that I bought last September before the SXRD came out. It was one that did not pass the bob test(it's brother w identical processing). Without comparison, it was hard to tell that it was throwing away resolution. I sold that TV and had a Sammy 5688 for 2 days and just didn't like it. Geometry problems (uneven 4:3 and wide screen 2:35)not with this sony)and the color to me was just too much(cartoonish). I tweaked to the specs someone had suggested and still didn't like it. This set looks great. A big difference I see with this from the Mits is the beutiful color reproduction this set does. I do see better shadow detail. I watched several of my HD DVD movies on the Mits before I sold it(about three weeks ago), and I am noticing things on the Sony I didn't on the Mits. That being said, this TV is also a lot bigger.

OOps, my bad, wrong Mitsubishi owner
post #183 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

OOps, my bad, wrong Mitsubishi owner

I know who yu are talking about. The pharmacist right? My Mits did have dark detailer but still as with all the DLPs did not do as good a job on shadow as the XBR1 on reviews. The new Mitsubishis are supposed to do proper deinterlacing. I have yet to see any DLP review other than the HP that says that it can fully resolved all of 1080.
post #184 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post

tfgacek, Brandon, Mr. Foo, and others,

Please let us know where you purchased your sets from (stores as well as cities), so we can give these early arrival retailers/etailers our business. Also this will tell us where others, who are not quite ready to buy, may go to see these sets with their own eyes.

Thanks

Direct from SonyStyle.com for me. I looked at other retailers via pricescan, etc. but the prices they advertised were really not better at the time than Sony's because they tried to hide shipping, etc. Not saying one can't do better than SonyStyle but I took the 18 mos no payments/interest (as long as you pay it off) and will let the cash collect interest until then. Also was able to get $125 back from Sony because the rep and site that it had PiP and it clearly does not so they cut a deal so I would not ship it back. No additional for shipping at the time. And finally I am not one to buy extended warranties but did so on this. They dropped the 5 year total (1+4) ext warranty to $249 from $319 which seemed reasonable but note that does not cover the bulb. Other sites seem to jack up the price on the ext warranties to make up for lower "list" prices. Again, not saying there isn't a better deal but watch the overall cost.

It shipped from SonyStyle on Friday 7/14 (got the email) and arrived 7/18. Much faster than even I expected. I thought it would not get here until closer to the end of the month.

cheers and hope that helps,
tim
post #185 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:13 PM

Finally got it!! Didn't have much chance to use it b/c had to go out this evening. So far the picture is VERY nice! No green blobs, even the SD channels don't look nearly as bad as my old Zenitch LCD projection. the local HD over the air channels looked REALLY good. I am hooking the xbox 360 up now to the VGA input and will report on diff between that and component in later. so far I am very pleased! The "freeze" function is kinda a weird though. The live picture is very small right next to the frozen picture. It sure makes SD look good though in the small window....Really now, what the hell is the usefulness of freeze? Am I missing something?

Don't worry about buying the wrong technology....you don't buy technology, you RENT it!
post #186 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:19 PM

They finally took off P&P from the specifications on the Sony Site.
post #187 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFreek View Post

In stock at the "fieldcrutch"....basic MSRP, but still in stock nonetheless...

The extended warranty seems pretty good, too. Anyone have any experience with their EWs?
post #188 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:35 PM

VGA cable from XBOX 360 looks good, but won't fill the entire screen no matter what resolution I set it to.....Component looks very good at 1080i however....

Don't worry about buying the wrong technology....you don't buy technology, you RENT it!
post #189 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider4re View Post

They finally took off P&P from the specifications on the Sony Site.

Yes they did. For those who bought it from SonyStyle prior to them taking it off, it might be worth balking a little and seeing if they will discount it some due to the misleading info.

cheers,
tim
post #190 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:44 PM

Liked: 17
Sorry if I'm straying too far off topic here but I want to connect my computer to the A2000 via Vga cable, specifically a UXGA cable. I have heard they degrade rapidly depending on length. Yet, I'v also read reviews on cables spanning 25'-30' where the images are "crystal clear." What gives?

Does anyone have any experience with vga cables and using a TV as a monitor? How good is the resolution? Can I read the text easily? Will I be overwhelmed?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
post #191 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmrw View Post

VGA cable from XBOX 360 looks good, but won't fill the entire screen no matter what resolution I set it to.....Component looks very good at 1080i however....

Don't be shy...let the pictures flow through...
post #192 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Finally got it!! Didn't have much chance to use it b/c had to go out this evening. So far the picture is VERY nice! No green blobs, even the SD channels don't look nearly as bad as my old Zenitch LCD projection. the local HD over the air channels looked REALLY good. I am hooking the xbox 360 up now to the VGA input and will report on diff between that and component in later. so far I am very pleased! The "freeze" function is kinda a weird though. The live picture is very small right next to the frozen picture. It sure makes SD look good though in the small window....Really now, what the hell is the usefulness of freeze? Am I missing something?

The freeze button is useful when there's a quick shot of Jessica Alba in a bikini.
post #193 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill175 View Post

I know who yu are talking about. The pharmacist right? My Mits did have dark detailer but still as with all the DLPs did not do as good a job on shadow as the XBR1 on reviews. The new Mitsubishis are supposed to do proper deinterlacing. I have yet to see any DLP review other than the HP that says that it can fully resolved all of 1080.

Yes, that's him. One of the reasons i don't like DLP is they seem to crush blacks. Harder to squeeze out detail in dark scenes, like in an alley.
post #194 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:

This is consistent with the XBR1 and the manual which states the max PC resolutoin (a.k.a. "VGA") is 1280x1024. (unfortunately)
post #195 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reio-ta View Post

Did you go into the auto adjustement of the PC menu of the A2000 with the xbox 360 in 720p?

You can't put the xbox in 720 mode when the vga cable is attached. The xbox "knows" that the VGA cable is attached and you only have various computer resolution options i.e., 800x600, 1024x768 etc.... Auto adustment didn't do anything to resize the image to full screen. No biggie though I'm happy with the component picture. I'm watching HDnet boxing now on directTV and it look freaking stunning..... Also, I am using the "custom" setting for SD channels with sharpness taken down almost all the way and the reality dot right in the middle of the square. I don't know what the hell I'm doing yet....but the SD picture looks pretty good that way. Once I fiddle with this thing enough and see input from others here on the forum I'll have a perfect custom setting for SD i think....Tomorrow I will get the Direct TV HD DVR that has HDMI output. I am currently using component from my 3 yr old Direct TV hd receiver and i can't get over how good it looks....I'm looking at Maurice Gibb now (the BG's) and if you ask me, it's a little too much definition......

post #196 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkycollier View Post

This is consistent with the XBR1 and the manual which states the max PC resolutoin (a.k.a. "VGA") is 1280x1024. (unfortunately)

This was expected. What some of us are waiting on the edge of our seats for is a report from owners using the HDMI/DVI connection to the PC. This is where i'm hoping the A2000 performs as well as the 2005 XBR. The 2005 XBR, when connected digitally, was a great HTPC.
post #197 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

The freeze button is useful when there's a quick shot of Jessica Alba in a bikini.

you got that right :P)
post #198 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 09:49 PM

Where's the nice pictures of the 60A2000. Come on guys!
post #199 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 09:58 PM

Have we determined that these sets are using DRC mf-v1 ?

It's not TV unless it's HDTV.
post #200 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treberg View Post

Have we determined that these sets are using DRC mf-v1 ?

Yes, in the other thread
post #201 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 10:15 PM

Connecting to any HDTV is so much easier using mac os x. I have a macbook pro, so under OS X, I can connect to HDTV, and automatically it sets up the screen as a second display, perfectly with no clipping, I then restarted my Macbook Pro into windows, and tried to get it to do similar things but with every HDTV there is always problems with overscan and windows, I had to tweak around for 2 hours before windows even looked decent... If you want to do video from a computer, I'd get one of the dual core mac minis, or wait till after august, when apple upgrades them for their movie store. They mac perfect computers for tvs... and can decode h.264 really fast with the dual core intel chips
post #202 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 10:16 PM

v1 then? I thought there were all these discrepancies between online data and in the manual? And we wouldn't know until someone actually got their hands on one.

post #203 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 10:19 PM

Get the Ikea Floating Shelves. They do the trick very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade23 View Post

Oh, I know. My center is about 22 lbs, I would never risk picture distortion. I'm not mounting it on top of the TV itself, I'm installing a wall mounted tray above it. I'm trying to acheive a "floating" effect with it though, where the speaker just crests the top of the front panel when viewed straight on.

post #204 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 10:20 PM

My Set is coming from a Sony Storage warehouse in california, shipping to me in Santa Clara, CA
post #205 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkhead View Post

My Set is coming from a Sony Storage warehouse in california, shipping to me in Santa Clara, CA

ETA?

post #206 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkhead View Post

Get the Ikea Floating Shelves. They do the trick very well.

I've looked at those, but havent' found one that's deep enough.

/OT
post #207 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 PM

The expected shipping date for the 50 inch has changed from August 16th to August 2nd on the Sony Style page. They must be making them faster than expected! I'm expecting mine from my local high end store as soon as they get in. The sooner the better!

Mike

XBL Gamertag: A4Mode
post #208 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 PM

Last week, I bought my XBR1 from BB for $3k (price match on an internet store... I got lucky and they did it).

If the A2000 proves to have the same, or better picture quality, and I can get it for a similar price, I would consider returning the XBR1. I really don't care about the speaker design, but true 1080P would be nice for the future and HD-DVD. I love the XBR1 so far though... I haven't noticed a green blob or anything, but I'm still trying to figure how to tweak the SD quality.

If you were in my situation, what would you do?
post #209 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:

Sports?

Anyway, on the SXRD1, I use the P & P to display SD in the left window. I have its size increased to the max, and the right pane turned off. Sounds like you found a way to get much the same effect with the A2000.
post #210 of 14284 Old 07-21-2006, 11:07 PM

If you can screw them again, do it.

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page