HELP With 60in. HDTV Purchase: A2000s vs. XBR1 vs. XBR2?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-23-2006, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings,

My old Sony HS10 appears to be exhibiting signs of eminent demise, so I'm looking for a 60ish in. projection TV replacement. From the Sony line, it would appear that from this year's models, the A2000s and the KDS-R60XBR1 appear to be strong contenders, with the biggest difference between the two being 1080p capabilities...sort of. There is also the equivalent XBR2 offering which is either out or close to it, dependng on what rumor thread you read.

I've spent about 90 minutes delving into past threads, but can't seem to get the answers I seek, so appologies if these answers appear elsewhere.

-I think based on what I read, this year's XBR1 model can "fake" 1080p by upscaling 1080i...Is this true?

I have Time Warner Digital Cable with their HD-DVR box, though I confess that I watch little to no HD programming. I watch some digital cable programming, but mostly movies from my DVD collection. I may be misreading things (keep seeing references to "SD") but I get the impression this year's XBR1 model doesn't do that great a job with non-HD programming? Confirm or deny?

I believe today the lack of 1080p might not be that big of a deal, but I'm guessing in the next year I'll want blu-ray or whatever DVD replacement format wins. I wouldn't mind waiting a few weeks on the XBR2, but I'm guessing it will cost me 1k more delivered over the current XBR1 TVs, judging from the current online deals I'm seeing. That's a lot of money for something I won't use for several months....or if the upscale works reasonably well. The other choice is of course the A2000 which will do 1080p, but doesn't seem have as good a picture according to some reviews I've read.

I'm confused!! Any advice?

Owner, The Rolex Reference Page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-23-2006, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona John View Post

Greetings,

My old Sony HS10 appears to be exhibiting signs of eminent demise, so I'm looking for a 60ish in. projection TV replacement. From the Sony line, it would appear that from this year's models, the A2000s and the KDS-R60XBR1 appear to be strong contenders, with the biggest difference between the two being 1080p capabilities...sort of. There is also the equivalent XBR2 offering which is either out or close to it, dependng on what rumor thread you read.

I've spent about 90 minutes delving into past threads, but can't seem to get the answers I seek, so appologies if these answers appear elsewhere.

-I think based on what I read, this year's XBR1 model can "fake" 1080p by upscaling 1080i...Is this true?

I have Time Warner Digital Cable with their HD-DVR box, though I confess that I watch little to no HD programming. I watch some digital cable programming, but mostly movies from my DVD collection. I may be misreading things (keep seeing references to "SD") but I get the impression this year's XBR1 model doesn't do that great a job with non-HD programming? Confirm or deny?

I believe today the lack of 1080p might not be that big of a deal, but I'm guessing in the next year I'll want blu-ray or whatever DVD replacement format wins. I wouldn't mind waiting a few weeks on the XBR2, but I'm guessing it will cost me 1k more delivered over the current XBR1 TVs, judging from the current online deals I'm seeing. That's a lot of money for something I won't use for several months....or if the upscale works reasonably well. The other choice is of course the A2000 which will do 1080p, but doesn't seem have as good a picture according to some reviews I've read.

I'm confused!! Any advice?

I'm not sure what reviews you could have read of the A2000 outside of the owner's thread here, but by all accounts, the picture is at least as good as the XBR1's. The XBR2 won't be available until September/October (I'd tend towards the latter). Unless you need things like CableCard and Memory Stick and absolutey can't wait for the XBR2, I'd definitely consider the XBR1 out of the running at this point, just based on the fact that it won't accept a 1080p input.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-23-2006, 08:54 AM

I went with an XBR1 last week. I have Mediacom digital cable and an HD DVR stb. We have a Sony digicam with Memory stick, so I like having that function. I also like the PIP/Twinview option, so my little one can watch her shows and I can keep track of the scores.

To be honest, SD channels are much BETTER than I expected.

I have absolutely no complaints about PQ after one week of viewing. For me, 1080p wasn't an issue. The HD-DVD player hooked to it is giving us some amazing viewing with both SD and HD-DVD.

Haven't even seen the A2000, so I can't comment. But I certainly wouldn't rule out the XBR1.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-23-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade23 View Post

I'm not sure what reviews you could have read of the A2000 outside of the owner's thread here, but by all accounts, the picture is at least as good as the XBR1's. The XBR2 won't be available until September/October (I'd tend towards the latter). Unless you need things like CableCard and Memory Stick and absolutey can't wait for the XBR2, I'd definitely consider the XBR1 out of the running at this point, just based on the fact that it won't accept a 1080p input.

Admitedly, the A2000 is the model I've seen the least information on at this point, but I'd welcome any at this point. A direct comparison with the XBR1 would be wonderful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-23-2006, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schro5150 View Post

I went with an XBR1 last week. I have Mediacom digital cable and an HD DVR stb. We have a Sony digicam with Memory stick, so I like having that function. I also like the PIP/Twinview option, so my little one can watch her shows and I can keep track of the scores.

To be honest, SD channels are much BETTER than I expected.

I have absolutely no complaints about PQ after one week of viewing. For me, 1080p wasn't an issue. The HD-DVD player hooked to it is giving us some amazing viewing with both SD and HD-DVD.

Haven't even seen the A2000, so I can't comment. But I certainly wouldn't rule out the XBR1.

Good news about the SD channels. I don't have a Sony digicam, but I'd probobly pick up a Memory stick just to be able to be able to easly throw some photos on the stick and put 'em up on the screen.

The other thing I'll use with it is our Xbox 360.

post #6 of 11 Old 07-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

My $0.02 (PQ only not features):

XBR2 > a2000 > XBR1

If you have size/budget constraints go for the a2000 (else go for the XBR2). If you really feel you need PIP/P&P, a cable card, or firewire, then you might want to stick with the XBR(1 or 2) line.

Early reports seem to imply that the a2000 is at least as good as the XBR1 in PQ. At least one person who has seen them, misterjensen, thinks the a2000 might be a tad brighter (but this hasn't been confirmed yet).

My
for the S3 TiVo, PS3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii.
My
&
post #7 of 11 Old 07-23-2006, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVBill View Post

My $0.02 (PQ only not features):

XBR2 > a2000 > XBR1

If you have size/budget constraints go for the a2000 (else go for the XBR2). If you really feel you need PIP/P&P, a cable card, or firewire, then you might want to stick with the XBR(1 or 2) line.

Early reports seem to imply that the a2000 is at least as good as the XBR1 in PQ. At least one person who has seen them, misterjensen, thinks the a2000 might be a tad brighter (but this hasn't been confirmed yet).

I've spent a rediculous amount of time researching today, and I think you're correct - I'm leaning toward the a2000.

Now to find the right vendor.

post #8 of 11 Old 07-23-2006, 02:58 PM

Does the new A200 have a 1.3 HDMI?
post #9 of 11 Old 07-23-2006, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 204
XBR2 is the least bad!
post #10 of 11 Old 07-23-2006, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savedslave View Post

Does the new A200 have a 1.3 HDMI?

Hmm...not sure what the 1.3 referes to (version?) but the A2000 does support 1080p through HDMI.

post #11 of 11 Old 01-29-2007, 08:44 PM

i have the xbr1....i love it but i feel duped by the fact that when i bought it the yadvertised it as 1080p.....

it apparantly upscales to near 1080p......anyone attest to that?

im getting a blu ray player and don't wanrt to feel screwed!!!!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page