Owners ONLY thread - >>>KDS-A2000's<<< - Settings/Tweaks - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2006, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks JasonWW. I have the DVE and AVIA disks, I'll give those a try. Being a new/first time HDTV owner , I'm just trying to better understand it all and get somewhat proficient at it. Looking for that WOW factor many have described.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbh406 View Post

Thanks, Dave! From your description, I see you're a calibrator. So then, Does the LPF really have that much of an impact in dramatically improving the picture? If so, I too am anxious for this important information. Just curious though, I have a July 2006 unit, and CNET's site seems to indicate it's more problematic with the June 06, or earlier units. How would I be able to tell if mine needs to be tweaked?

Despite the thread title (Owners ONLY Thread), I have not calibrated an A2000 yet. So I can't make an authorative comment on LPF. I'm all ready for it and my signal generator (Accupel HDG-3000) can generate one pixel wide patterns where one can detect this - but have yet to lay my hands on one.

I was responding to your question
Quote:

BTW, does anyone have experience, and/or a solid opinion on whether it's best left to the ISF Tech's, or can we owners really achieve the same results.

Dave Hancock
Old 08-22-2006, 01:25 PM

Thanks, Dave! Appreciate the feedback
Old 08-22-2006, 04:40 PM

I'm not sure if this is a setting or not because I am new to HDTV. I just bought the A2000 and it is amazing. My question is the viewing modes. When a 4:3 show in on it obviously has the bars on the outside in normal mode, but there is some aspect that when in normal has bars on the sides and top? What is that? I think it does that in Letterbox but why would it not just have smaller lines at the top and bottom instead of blacklines on top and bottom? This is coming in over a DirecTV Tivo with S-video as my HD won't be in until Thursday.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators93 View Post

I'm not sure if this is a setting or not because I am new to HDTV. I just bought the A2000 and it is amazing. My question is the viewing modes. When a 4:3 show in on it obviously has the bars on the outside in normal mode, but there is some aspect that when in normal has bars on the sides and top? What is that? I think it does that in Letterbox but why would it not just have smaller lines at the top and bottom instead of blacklines on top and bottom? This is coming in over a DirecTV Tivo with S-video as my HD won't be in until Thursday.

You're seeing a letterboxed 16:9 program transmitted over SD at 4:3. You'll even see that at times when watching an HD transmission, because some "HD" channels only show HD content during prime time, or when they happen to feel like it.

There's a difference between an HD signal with SD content, and an HD signal with HD content. Although HD channels always send an HD signal, the program itself may not be HD.

You will also see HD programming where the original content has some aspect ratio wider than 16:9 (Ref: Aspect Ratio,) in which case there will be black bars on the top and bottom, even though its an HD program transmitted over an HD signal.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
Old 08-22-2006, 07:55 PM
WGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post

Anyone know if it is true the screen "tilt" can be adjusted by screws inside?

If true, could anyone attest to whether on not the screws or other adjustments could adjust the optical overscan even slightly??

I should know by Friday afternoon. My 60A2000 has a ~.5 degree CCW tilt (3/8" horizontal displacement). I've arranged for a service call for Friday morning to see if it can be fixed. The overscan is pretty good so I don't expect any adjustment there.

If the tilt can't be fixed, I'll exchange for a new one.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:57 PM

overscan is gettin to me....
how do i remedy this ???
Old 08-22-2006, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am having problems with the screen tilt also,
I have my tivo displaying horizontal lines (how I first noticed the tilt)
and it is higher on the left side than the right.. can this be adjusted?!

This imperfection is extremely annoying to me now that I have noticed it.

thanks for the help

My Home Theater
Old 08-22-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

You're seeing a letterboxed 16:9 program transmitted over SD at 4:3. You'll even see that at times when watching an HD transmission, because some "HD" channels only show HD content during prime time, or when they happen to feel like it.

There's a difference between an HD signal with SD content, and an HD signal with HD content. Although HD channels always send an HD signal, the program itself may not be HD.

You will also see HD programming where the original content has some aspect ratio wider than 16:9 (Ref: Aspect Ratio,) in which case there will be black bars on the top and bottom, even though its an HD program transmitted over an HD signal.

Thanks Sourcery! Now I understand. So if I just go wide it should then be at a 16x9. I was wondering if I was cutting off any picture doing that.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

I am having problems with the screen tilt also,
I have my tivo displaying horizontal lines (how I first noticed the tilt)
and it is higher on the left side than the right.. can this be adjusted?!

This imperfection is extremely annoying to me now that I have noticed it.

thanks for the help

Tilt (and vertical trapizoid) is adjustable by a Sony Service Person (procedure is in the Service Manual.

Dave Hancock
Old 08-22-2006, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Tilt (and vertical trapizoid) is adjustable by a Sony Service Person (procedure is in the Service Manual.

Do you think that a non sony service person can do this himself in your opinionor am I calling sony tomorrow?
thank you

My Home Theater
Old 08-22-2006, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

Do you think that a non sony service person can do this himself in your opinionor am I calling sony tomorrow?
thank you

I think that an authorized Sony Service Center should do it - but it can be done, and they know (or should know) how to do it.

Dave Hancock
Old 08-22-2006, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators93 View Post

Thanks Sourcery! Now I understand. So if I just go wide it should then be at a 16x9. I was wondering if I was cutting off any picture doing that.

The "zoom" mode is designed to crop and scale a 16:9 program letterboxed in a 4:3 signal so that it fills the screen. Whether that clips any of the picture depends on two things: 1) whether the set is properly adjusted, and 2) whether the letterboxing was done correctly by the broadcaster (or DVD production company.)

Full mode horizontally stretches a 4:3 picture to fill the screen, which is correct when watching an anamorphic DVD.

I really dislike using the terms "normal" and "full" for the various display modes, because what's "normal" for one person is "legacy mode" for someone else, and what's "full" on an SD set is not all "full" on an HDTV.

My other pet peeve is the idiotic message "This program has been reformatted to fit your screen" that often appears nowadays on 4:3 DVDs, and on movies shown on SD channels. To an HDTV owner, the statement simply isn't true at all.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
Old 08-23-2006, 01:46 AM

Quote:

My other pet peeve is the idiotic message "This program has been reformatted to fit your screen" that often appears nowadays on 4:3 DVDs, and on movies shown on SD channels. To an HDTV owner, the statement simply isn't true at all.

I don't agree with you on that. Usually that message means that the program has been chopped off on the sides a la "Pan and Scan". In that case it is definetly true, no matter what TV you have. Only when they decide to add bars to the top and bottom and maintain the full width can a person with a 16x9 set use the zoom mode to get rid of the bars all around. Pan and Scan sucks as you lose part of the movie.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post

I don't agree with you on that. Usually that message means that the program has been chopped off on the sides a la "Pan and Scan". In that case it is definetly true, no matter what TV you have. Only when they decide to add bars to the top and bottom and maintain the full width can a person with a 16x9 set use the zoom mode to get rid of the bars all around. Pan and Scan sucks as you lose part of the movie.

What he's saying is that the program says the movie has been modified to fit your screen. What has really happened is the movie has been modified for people who have a 4:3 screen. It's been unnecessarily ruined for your 16:9 screen.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglerch View Post

What he's saying is that the program says the movie has been modified to fit your screen. What has really happened is the movie has been modified for people who have a 4:3 screen. It's been unnecessarily ruined for your 16:9 screen.

That's not what he's saying. "Formatted to fit your screen" means pan and scan. Doesn't matter if you have a 4:3 or 16:9 set. Part of the picture has been removed and it's never going to be visable.

Sourcery is making it seem like having a 16:9 set is a magic cure all. It's not. Since I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about, it was probably the wrong choice of words on his part or a misunderstanding on my part.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"Originally Posted by kinglerch
What he's saying is that the program says the movie has been modified to fit your screen. What has really happened is the movie has been modified for people who have a 4:3 screen. It's been unnecessarily ruined for your 16:9 screen."

That's not what he's saying. "Formatted to fit your screen" means pan and scan. Doesn't matter if you have a 4:3 or 16:9 set. Part of the picture has been removed and it's never going to be visable.

Actually, that was what I was saying.

Quote:

Sourcery is making it seem like having a 16:9 set is a magic cure all. It's not. Since I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about, it was probably the wrong choice of words on his part or a misunderstanding on my part.

Of course zoom mode can't restore whatever may have been removed by the broadcasters or DVD manufacturers.

What I said was in response to gogators93's comment:

"Thanks Sourcery! Now I understand. So if I just go wide it should then be at a 16x9. I was wondering if I was cutting off any picture doing that."

Remember that my discussion with gogators93 was around the subject of letterboxing, not pan-and-scan. But in any case, whether it's letterbox or pan-and-scan, it's not the use of zoom mode that cuts out any of the picture.

But I probably should have made it clearer that the message "This program has been reformatted to fit your screen" refers to pan-and-scan, and not to letterboxing. I also should have explained pan-and-scan to gogators93.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Here are my settings for a perfect pixel-matched desktop with ~2 pixel underscan on all sides.

MCE 2005
Nvidia driver version 91.36
Powerstrip 3.65

Nvidia Driver Resolution Timings for 1840x1016
HFP 88
HBP 224
HSW 48
Sync +
FE Active 1840
BE Active 1920
VFP 4
VBP 100
VSW 5
Sync +
FE Active 1016
BE Active 1080
Refresh 59.939

PowerStrip timing parameters:
1920x1080=1920,88,48,144,1080,4,5,36,148500,1

Generic timing details for 1920x1080:
HFP=88 HSW=48 HBP=144 kHz=68 VFP=4 VSW=5 VBP=36 Hz=60

VESA detailed timing:
PClk=148500.00 H.Active=1920 H.Blank=280 H.Offset=72 HSW=48 V.Active=1080 V.Blank=45 V.Offset=4 VSW=5

Linux modeline parameters:
"1920x1080" 148.500 1920 2008 2056 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
Old 08-23-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:

This broadcast statement rings funny to me now. It sort of seems like they did us a favor.

"We know your TV is the wrong format so for your conveience we cut the sides off the movie"

What are you supposed to think when you read it?

"Hmmm...I am pretty sure they didn't reformat my TV to fit the program. But if they reformatted the program for my TV, how did they know my TV format? Oh, I see...they didn't."
Old 08-23-2006, 01:17 PM

Yea, there's no point in going around and around about it.

I want to say - buy only anamorphic DVD's and watch HD channels whenever possible.

Some day ALL the channels will be HD and the world will be a happier place.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Some day ALL the channels will be HD and the world will be a happier place.

My family was relatively poor. We didn't get a TV until 1961--a 15" Admiral B&W tabletop model, I believe it was. We had that set until 1976, when I was in college, at which point we got a 19" RCA color tabletop TV.

In 1976, all new material was in color, but there were still a lot of movies and TV show reruns in B&W. As I recall, it wasn't until at least the mid-80's that it began to seem that just about everything was in color.

Color TV broadcasts began in the mid-1950's, if I recall correctly. I hope HDTV doesn't take as long to mature as color TV did.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:42 PM

If I remember right, the FCC is requiring all TV stations to broadcast digitally by 2009. If they don't they will be fined up until 2012 when the analog stations will be cut off for good. I'm sure not everything will be super HD, but digital channel quality is still way better than the analog we have now.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Let's try to stay on topic everyone.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:

In 1976, all new material was in color, but there were still a lot of movies and TV show reruns in B&W. As I recall, it wasn't until at least the mid-80's that it began to seem that just about everything was in color.

I'd be hard pressed to name any "new" shows that weren't in color even by the late 60's. I'd bet virtually every network show was being produced in color by 1968.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I have really been trying to find this info out. I even started a new thread without luck.

Will someone PLEASE tell me what version of HDMI the 60A2000 has. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2a ? Preferable with a link to some type of documentation.

Thanks.

"My ignorance amuses me." .......Manfred Powell

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
Old 08-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris83 View Post

I'd be hard pressed to name any "new" shows that weren't in color even by the late 60's. I'd bet virtually every network show was being produced in color by 1968.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:

NBC was naturally at the forefront of color programming because its parent company RCA manufactured the most successful line of color sets in the 1950s, and by 1959 RCA was the only remaining major manufacturer of color sets. CBS and ABC, which were not affiliated with set manufacturers, and were not eager to promote their competitor's product, dragged their feet into color, with ABC delaying its first color series (The Flintstones and The Jetsons) until 1962. The DuMont network, although it did have a television-manufacturing parent company, was in financial decline by 1954 and was dissolved two years later. Thus the relatively small amount of network color programming, combined with the high cost of color television sets, meant that as late as 1964 only 3.1 percent of television households in the U.S. had a color set. NBC provided the catalyst for rapid color expansion by announcing that its prime time schedule for fall 1965 would be almost entirely in color (the exception being I Dream of Jeannie). All three broadcast networks were airing full color prime time schedules by the 1966–67 broadcast season. (It is also worth noting that, while at least one show, CBS' The Lucy Show, did not broadcast its episodes in color until the start of the 1965-66 broadcast season, that show's producers began filming in color in 1963, with the thought that they would command more money when sold into syndication.) But the number of color television sets sold in the U.S. did not exceed black and white sales until 1972, which was also the first year that more than fifty percent of television households in the U.S. had a color set.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:08 PM

Seriously? The history of television? Is that what we're covering in this Owner's ONLY - Tweaks thread?

Some are still trying to hunt down several tweaks including the elusive LPR service menu setting and we're absolutely, positively nailing down when Lucy went to color!

K, rant over.

A
Old 08-23-2006, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

Here are my settings for a perfect pixel-matched desktop with ~2 pixel underscan on all sides.

MCE 2005
Powerstrip 3.65

HFP 88
HBP 224
HSW 48
Sync +
FE Active 1840
BE Active 1920
VFP 4
VBP 100
VSW 5
Sync +
FE Active 1016
BE Active 1080
Refresh 59.939

VESA detailed timing:
PClk=148500.00 H.Active=1920 H.Blank=280 H.Offset=72 HSW=48 V.Active=1080 V.Blank=45 V.Offset=4 VSW=5

I'm trying to hook up my computer via DVI to HDMI. Nothing is showing up on the screen. I turn it on input 6, and theres nothing. And yes the computer is on. The only thing I can think of is this adapter I'm using. Its an HDMI cable that came with my Oppo 970HD dvd player, and I'm using a little adapter to switch it over to DVI on my video card. Do I need to to do anything on my computer before I can use the DVI port? Cause the TV does not seem to receiving the signal. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quick question for you guys...

If I apply the settings posted by several people on here on my 55" SXRD, is there still any need to purcahse the AVIA or DVI calibration discs or will they just lead to the same settings that are already posted?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

MCE 2005
Powerstrip 3.65

HFP 88
HBP 224
HSW 48
Sync +
FE Active 1840
BE Active 1920
VFP 4
VBP 100
VSW 5
Sync +
FE Active 1016
BE Active 1080
Refresh 59.939

VESA detailed timing:

Are you connected through DVI/HDMI for this 1080p 60Hz input?

My A2000 Settings for the S3 TiVo, PS3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii.
My A2000 Lag Test & A2000 Lag Timing Estimations.