AVS Forum banner

Owners ONLY thread - >>>KDS-A2000's<<< - Settings/Tweaks

647K views 3K replies 552 participants last post by  jimkell 
#1 ·
Please read the following.

This Thread is meant only for owners of the KDS-(XX)A2000 to discuss quirks and tweaks of the set. If you have ordered this set, and it has been charged to your credit card, then you are a owner. If you are "almost ready to pull the trigger" then you are NOT a owner and should post elsewhere.

This thread should not be used by NON-OWNERS looking for "pre-sales" information such as "measure the "X" for me" or "how is the remote" or "what price did you get".

By non-owners NOT posting here, we will be able to build a lot of concise, useful information for both owners and non-owners to use.

For non-owners, please visit the "official owners thread" for this series. If you must ask a question here, PM the person you wish to speak with.

If everyone can respect this, I really hope we can build a thread very useful to read through, and this thread will not be extraneously long-winded.

Owners: If you see people abusing the thread, please PM them to kindly delete their post, let's not have 5 owner posts yelling at someone to stop making bad posts. If you do post publicly, try to delete it later.

Once you get your set and speakers set up, show off your view with PICS!

If you were directed here because you were a non-owner who posted, please be kind and delete your post. If a owner also posted complaining about it, the owner should delete/clean their post also. Nobody wants to read quibbling in this kind of thread. Thanks to everyone for helping out, really

See less See more
#2,702 ·
We know for certain that the PS3 with the current software release (1.9) will NOT pass BTB in RGB mode. So either the test pattern is messed up or you are not in RGM mode.

This TV accepts both RGB and YCbCr. The YCbCr colorspace is meant for video while the RGB color space is for PCs. That's why all your video devices default to YCbCr for video. The PS3 normally outputs YCbCr for video but outputs RGB for its menus and games.

I don't know how the service menu in the A2000 is set up, but ideally you want it to be accurate for both RGB and YCbCr.

#2,703 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis /forum/post/0

We know for certain that the PS3 with the current software release (1.9) will NOT pass BTB in RGB mode. So either the test pattern is messed up or you are not in RGM mode.

This TV accepts both RGB and YCbCr. The YCbCr colorspace is meant for video while the RGB color space is for PCs. That's why all your video devices default to YCbCr for video. The PS3 normally outputs YCbCr for video but outputs RGB for its menus and games.

I don't know how the service menu in the A2000 is set up, but ideally you want it to be accurate for both RGB and YCbCr.

I am sure i am in rgb mode, but if i switch to limited and set the output to ycbcr the picture on games and blu rays looks soo bad and washed out, or no depth,

#2,704 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan450 /forum/post/0

I am sure i am in rgb mode, but if i switch to limited and set the output to ycbcr the picture on games and blu rays looks soo bad and washed out, or no depth,

The RGB limited/full setting does not affect YCbCr mode at all. Just like "superwhite" doesn't affect RGB mode.

If you have a calibration disk (Avia/DVE) put that in while in YCbCr and see what you get. If its way off then your calibration is messed up.

I didn't get my set professionally calibrated, I used these disks myself with the user level settings. I got the colors almost dead-on (obviously a professional calibration at the service level could do even better though). I'm in YCbCr for movies and the results are stunning. The menus and games, which use RGB mode, also look fine, although I haven't tested it with any test patterns while in RGB mode.

I don't doubt that yours looks bad when you go to YCbCr mode, I'm just saying that it means that you have something messed up. Could be the TV or the PS3 (or perhaps something in between if you don't have the PS3 connected directly to the TV). Given that you had someone mess with the service level settings, that would seem to be the obvious thing to look at first, but until you've ruled everything else out 100% you can't be sure. If you have (or can borrow) a DVD player with an HDMI connection you could use that to help narrow things down.

#2,705 ·
Ok I have the 55" version of this tv. I see all these settings in the service menu's but would like to know what each setting is for. Has ANYONE seen a list of all the settings that tells you exactly what each setting in the service menu does? I tried asking sony but all they told me is "We only give those to our service techs. We wouldnt make any $$$ if we gave it to the avg user." WTF thats a lame excuse imo. I do thank all of those who have put all their time in on this subject to give us their settings but I just wanna know more about the settings being changed

#2,706 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofblong /forum/post/0

Ok I have the 55" version of this tv. I see all these settings in the service menu's but would like to know what each setting is for. Has ANYONE seen a list of all the settings that tells you exactly what each setting in the service menu does? I tried asking sony but all they told me is "We only give those to our service techs. We wouldnt make any $$$ if we gave it to the avg user." WTF thats a lame excuse imo. I do thank all of those who have put all their time in on this subject to give us their settings but I just wanna know more about the settings being changed

They don't give those settings to their techs either! Sony stopped including SM settings in their service manuals about 3 years ago. They are NOT going to give any information as there are literally thousands of settings. Screwing with some of them will trash the TV.

BTW: You will find the same story with other manufacturers too!

#2,707 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock /forum/post/0

They don't give those settings to their techs either! Sony stopped including SM settings in their service manuals about 3 years ago. They are NOT going to give any information as there are literally thousands of settings. Screwing with some of them will trash the TV.

BTW: You will find the same story with other manufacturers too!

WEll that sucks and is retarded. Anywho I see googer has cinematrix turned to auto. Mine is greyed out and set to off so I cant change it. Anyone know why? Same thing with DRC settings both are greyed out.

#2,708 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofblong
Here's a complete listing of the service menu settings. Some of them are pretty self-explanatory. However, others will blow your set into oblivion if you don't know what you're doing, as Dave mentioned above. At the very least it makes for very informative reading. That said, use at your own risk.

Sony_xxA2000_Menu_Settings___Complete_Listing.zip 99.015625k . file

Attachments

#2,709 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak /forum/post/0

Here's a complete listing of the service menu settings. Some of them are pretty self-explanatory. However, others will blow your set into oblivion if you don't know what you're doing, as Dave mentioned above. At the very least it makes for very informative reading. That said, use at your own risk.

wow thanks
. lots of reading to do lol.

#2,710 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofblong /forum/post/0

wow thanks
. lots of reading to do lol.

My pleasure. Hope it helps.

#2,711 ·
Here are my settings:

A2000-60

PIC MODE= CUSTOM

ADVANCED IRIS = AUTO 1

PICTURE = 80

BRIGHTNESS = 56

COLOR = 57

HUE = 0

COLOR TEMP = NEUTRAL

SHARPNESS = 50

BLACK CORRECT = OFF

GAMMA = OFF

CLEAR WHITE = OFF

LIVE COLOR = OFF

DETAIL ENHANCER = OFF

EDGE ENHANCER = OFF

COLOR MATRIX = ITU601 (ALL RESOLUTION)

POWER SAVING = ON

DRC-PALETTE = HIGH DENSITY

DRC =

100% REALITY

100% CLARITY

WHITE BALANCE

R-GAIN = -11

G-GAIN = -13

B-GAIN = 0

R-BIAS = 4

G-BIAS = 3

B-BIAS = 2

CINEMOTION = AUTO

NOTE: I will not EVER touch the Service menu.

Can anyone verify if my settings are good? It looks ok to me, but again I never budged these settings after my initial tweak...

#2,712 ·
OMG the forums changed colors and for the better I might add. Nevermind I figured out why the cinemotion and stuff is greyed out. Must be watching 480i content for it to be available. hmm now to figure out something thats sending 480i lol (yes everything connected to this tv is 720p or greater).

#2,713 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofblong /forum/post/11352359

OMG the forums changed colors and for the better I might add. Nevermind I figured out why the cinemotion and stuff is greyed out. Must be watching 480i content for it to be available. hmm now to figure out something thats sending 480i lol (yes everything connected to this tv is 720p or greater).

Do are my settings pretty optimal or are additional adjusting needed?

#2,714 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofblong /forum/post/11352359

If none of your sources are 480i, why bother with the drc settings at all?

All my sources are either 1080i or 1080p routed thru a receiver, I don't need to mess with the set's drc settings at all and haven't had to mess with the audio settings except to turn off the internal speakers-hell, I don't even know or care if the set's speakers even work.

#2,715 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crellion /forum/post/11350602

Can anyone verify if my settings are good? It looks ok to me, but again I never budged these settings after my initial tweak...

To be perfectly honest with you, there really is no way anyone can verify whether or not your settings are good per se, as there are just entirely too many factors involved. Everyone's set-up, viewing environment, source components, etc, is different. At the end of the day, if it looks good to YOU then that's what really matters (particularly if you are unable or unwilling to have a professional calibration done--which DOES involve service menu adjustments). There are some general guidelines and starting points which can be further customized to one's specific situation. But, outside of a pro-calibrator's work (and even then it can still be debated), the end result of any user-menu adjustments will be very subjective.

#2,716 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/11357451

If none of your sources are 480i, why bother with the drc settings at all?

All my sources are either 1080i or 1080p routed thru a receiver, I don't need to mess with the set's drc settings at all and haven't had to mess with the audio settings except to turn off the internal speakers-hell, I don't even know or care if the set's speakers even work.

I figured it couldnt hurt. never know if I will have to use 480i for something someday (like actually watch something other than discover HD lol).

#2,717 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofblong /forum/post/11358213

I figured it couldnt hurt. never know if I will have to use 480i for something someday (like actually watch something other than discover HD lol).

Wait a sec - do you mean that the DRC Palette only matters with 480i sources? So 480p up to 1080p sources don't really have any changes whatsoever with tweaking the DRC Palette?

#2,720 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkim1120 /forum/post/10908135

my tv has a serious amount of popping

it is comes only from watching tv using the comcast cable box

has anyone else had this problem?

I'm not sure if anyone responded to your post or not. However I have had the same problem. I have Knology for my digital and HD cable and I also got popping coming out of EVERY speaker in my 5.1 set up. It seems to only happen on HD channels and if I switch to an SD channel and then back it usually fixes it. I haven't had this problem in a while and it only occurs with my cable (not video games or DVD, only cable). I even triple checked all of my speaker connections even though I knew that wasn't the problem. When it's coming out of EVERY speaker you know it's a signal issue. Good luck in tricking it to work, sometimes my trick didn't work and so far I don't have a definitive answer except that it's on my cable providers end.

#2,721 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthaven /forum/post/11428053

I'm not sure if anyone responded to your post or not. However I have had the same problem. I have Knology for my digital and HD cable and I also got popping coming out of EVERY speaker in my 5.1 set up. It seems to only happen on HD channels and if I switch to an SD channel and then back it usually fixes it. I haven't had this problem in a while and it only occurs with my cable (not video games or DVD, only cable). I even triple checked all of my speaker connections even though I knew that wasn't the problem. When it's coming out of EVERY speaker you know it's a signal issue. Good luck in tricking it to work, sometimes my trick didn't work and so far I don't have a definitive answer except that it's on my cable providers end.

Might be clipping of the audio signal after digital to analog conversion. If you are using the digital output from the TV, I would suspect the D/A converter in your amplifier feeding the speakers.

A more likely cause, IF you are using the Left/Right analog audio output from the TV, is that the audio output setting on the TV is set to Variable instead of fixed. Variable allows you to vary the level of the signal sent to the amplifier, and if it is dialed up too far, it will exceed proper level and go into clipping. Clipping may sound like a pop, and certainly COULD come out any and all of the speakers. Check the setting. If it is on variable, change it to Fixed and see if the problem goes away.

If connected to a cable box, the same MAY apply, but check the directions for the cable box audio output.

#2,722 ·
hi all, so i just purchades this Tv this evening.. wow the picture is amazing. I just started skimming through this thread nad doing more research... Can anyone point me to the right page or link, on some calibrations i can do? Are there any effective self calibration tests or methods or calibrations I can do? Or am i better off just finding a company and paying them? thanks for your help

#2,723 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdawg235 /forum/post/11444199

hi all, so i just purchades this Tv this evening.. wow the picture is amazing. I just started skimming through this thread nad doing more research... Can anyone point me to the right page or link, on some calibrations i can do? Are there any effective self calibration tests or methods or calibrations I can do? Or am i better off just finding a company and paying them? thanks for your help

Well, the first thing I did was just do the obvious by eye, like shutting off vivid mode and adjusting everything so it looked decent. Next step, and a lot cheaper than hiring someone, is to use a calibration disk like Avia or DVE to calibrate it (new Blu-Ray/HD-DVD versions of these are due out shortly).

If you still want it better after that then hiring someone is the next step.

#2,725 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean12 /forum/post/11452101

Does hiring a professional make a significant difference to the picture quality of the set? I mean I have adjusted it and followed some of the recommended settings in this thread - so would having a professional come out and calibrate it make a bid difference?

Yes ... and No. It's in the eye of the beholder. I had my previous Sony CRT-based RPTV calibrated a few years ago and was very pleased with the results. Had planned to do the same with the A2020 ... but the PQ is so good (with just user-level "tweaks" I did) that I don't think we'll bother. [Our ageing eyes also aren't as discerning as they once were
]

But a good calibration WILL make a nice difference in how well your set tracks the colorspace that movies are designed for .. so you'll be watching a much "purer" picture. Don't forget, however, that not everyone likes that ==> a calibrated set often looks too "soft" for some folks. That's why all display sets are factory-calibrated for a very vivid picture (just as loud=better in the minds of many folks listening to music; bright=better when looking at TV sets side-by-side).

Bottom line: If you want the most-accurate picture you can get with your set, get it calibrated. But if you're completely satisifed with the picture you have now, you may not feel that $300-$500 for a pro calibration is worthwhile. I feel we easily got our money's worth with our previous set ... and I may still decide to do so with our A2020. Only you can make that choice.

#2,726 ·
My sister has the 50A2020 and they currently hooked up their DVD player via component and their Sony laptop via VGA cable. They are planning to get cable. They lived on a third floor condo and the TV is adjacent to the patio door leading to the balcony (alot of sunlight during the daytime). At night, they have one floor lamp on when viewing DVD movies.

What is the best overall calibration setting that eveyone in general uses given the above setup and environment settings? I realize everyone has their own individual settings, but looking for the most popular setting.

Many Thanks!

Stelmos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.