Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3250 Old 09-07-2006, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googer View Post

In the service menu, get to the "WEM SERVICE" menu (should be a pair of Jump's after first getting into it). Then, navigate using 2 to the "108 sharp xspp_ccp.spf" menu. Then, use 1 to navigate up to "014 YFLR". On the HDMI input I was using (input 6), the default setting for this was 5. Setting it to 6 or 7 (using 3 on the remote) did the trick. Don't forget to write it with mute + enter when you're done. Note that you likely need to set this per input and possibly per resolution but I would warn you that different values look as though they might mean different things depending on the resolution / input - for example, on 480i on the same input, the default was 0 (which looked fine already) and setting it to 7 would cause the image to get really screwed up. So, YMMV but at least you all know which basic area (and which setting) in the SM you should be playing with. Good luck!

My TV was set to 5. Using 3 on the remote, I went up to 6 and then 7. But how do I bring it back down to 6 (I'm hesitant to start pressing buttons)?

By the way, I didn't 'write' my setting with mute, enter, I just hit TV Power and it still appeared to 'write' my change from 5 to 7.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3250 Old 09-07-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt12 View Post

My TV was set to 5. Using 3 on the remote, I went up to 6 and then 7. But how do I bring it back down to 6 (I'm hesitant to start pressing buttons)?

3 increases the option, and 6 decreases the option.

Quote:

By the way, I didn't 'write' my setting with mute, enter, I just hit TV Power and it still appeared to 'write' my change from 5 to 7.

Possibly, the setting will persist until your TV is unplugged, i.e. a power-cycle won't change it back, but if you disconnect from your power outlet for a short time, and reconnect, then the setting will reset (to the last configuration that was written).... just a guess. Make sure the cooling fan has stopped before disconnecting the power.
post #543 of 3250 Old 09-07-2006, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the help DG - I went back and changed it to 6, though, to be honest, I didn't see any difference other than it moved the picture by 1 pixel or so to the side.

I did find, however, that Detail enhancer really sharpens up the picture and takes away from the 'softness.' I'm no professional, I only know what I see, and I like what Detail Enhancer is doing. I know people recommend that all of these settings be 'off' and all of mine are with the exception of detail enhancer. Anyone have any opinions on this? (I was watching the US open on Universal HD and saw a big difference when Detail Enhancer was at Max during still closeups of people in the stands. When it is off, their faces look soft - when it is on, their faces look sharp. I thought all of these enhancements were supposed to be bogus??)

Cheers.
post #544 of 3250 Old 09-07-2006, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I thought all of these enhancements were supposed to be bogus??)

None of them are "bogus" - in the sense that they won't "work" (have an effect). The question is whether they improve picture quality (when quality means accuracy).
Detail Enhancement usually artifically enhances the edge of small details (and also noise). In this case "soft" may be more accurate - enhanced may be more spectacular.

Dave Hancock
post #545 of 3250 Old 09-07-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

None of them are "bogus" - in the sense that they won't "work" (have an effect). The question is whether they improve picture quality (when quality means accuracy).
Detail Enhancement usually artifically enhances the edge of small details (and also noise). In this case "soft" may be more accurate - enhanced may be more spectacular.

Thanks Dave,
I meant I thought they were bogus in the sense that they don't achieve their stated goal.

I have very little experience with this, so I would guess you're right regarding the softer picture being more realistic. While watching tennis, I noticed that the individual strands in the net were more pronounced with Detail Enhancement on. Now I'm watching football and it seems the grass is 'muckier' when it's turned off - each blade of grass is more distinguishable when detail enhancement is on Max.

To be honest, with DE turned off, it almost looks like the camera is vibrating back and forth extremely fast. With it turned to Max, it seems much more focused. I know this isn't the case, but that is how it appears. I'm trying to find out the negative aspects of setting DE to max - I assume when the camera pans or when there is a lot of action, then this setting deteriorates the picture, but not sure.

Anyone else playing with this while watching the football game? Any thoughts?
post #546 of 3250 Old 09-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyone else playing with this while watching the football game? Any thoughts?

There is no universal right answer. Use whatever setting you prefer, but understand both the pros and cons. You may decide to change to some setting other than your normal default, whenever the show you're watching might benefit thereby.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #547 of 3250 Old 09-07-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

There is no universal right answer. Use whatever setting you prefer, but understand both the pros and cons. You may decide to change to some setting other than your normal default, whenever the show you're watching might benefit thereby.

I agree. There is no right or wrong answer. I used to want to have the detail enhancement on all the time but have changed my ways to have a more realistic aka: accurate experience & I love it! I've been on both sides of the fence & I can say that it depends on how YOU like it. Not anyone else!
post #548 of 3250 Old 09-07-2006, 11:19 PM

Any tips on how to "clear" an Antenna input that has been programmed with 70 channels? When first setting up my new 55A2000, I put analog cable into the Antenna input. Channels 2 thru 57 were "added" to the list of analog channels.

Now I've moved the analog cable to the Cable input, and I hooked up an antenna to the Antenna input (for OTAHD). While I know I can go and set all the channels to "Hidden", I'd rather just reset them all to the same way it was before I ran auto-program for the first time. Short of doing a full TV reset, is there a way to clear the channel memory for an input (in this case, Antenna) fully? Doing a 2nd or 3rd "Auto Program" doesn't reset anything.
post #549 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 05:44 AM
WGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstup View Post

Any tips on how to "clear" an Antenna input that has been programmed with 70 channels? When first setting up my new 55A2000, I put analog cable into the Antenna input. Channels 2 thru 57 were "added" to the list of analog channels.

Now I've moved the analog cable to the Cable input, and I hooked up an antenna to the Antenna input (for OTAHD). While I know I can go and set all the channels to "Hidden", I'd rather just reset them all to the same way it was before I ran auto-program for the first time. Short of doing a full TV reset, is there a way to clear the channel memory for an input (in this case, Antenna) fully? Doing a 2nd or 3rd "Auto Program" doesn't reset anything.

My experience has been the running another auto-program clears everything on that source, antenna or cable, including the labels. The auto-program is source dependent. Be sure you have Antenna selected prior to starting the auto program.
post #550 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 06:01 AM
WGW

Here's another question. For viewing of film/video, it is recommended to set color temp to 6500K which closely corresponds to Warm2 for the A2000. What is the recommended color temp to use for video games? Is there one, or does everyone just adjust temp for what subjectively looks best? For me, Warm2 is too red for video gaming. Neutral seems best. What settings (Picture, Brightness, Temp, etc.) are you using on your video game input?
post #551 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

AVBill - regarding the magenta - did you check your Y/C Delay? Perhaps that is the cause. I would be surprised if there are any service menu adjustments for convergence of individual pixels. I know that the Ruby does not have any such adjustments in the menus.

I'll give Googer's suggestion a try. Thanks for pointing that out.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for the S3 TiVo, PS3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii.
My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #552 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 09:21 AM

Do settings exist (in the service menu) that affect color uniformity?

I'm not seeing the green blob. That appears (roundish green blob just right of center) for a few seconds during warmup but quickly fades away without a trace.

My problem is that the tone of the image seems to change slightly from the left side to the right side. I'm not sure how to properly describe it. With bright and colorful scenes it's pretty much impossible to see the problem. Even with screens of pure white or grey I often see nothing at first glance. But then there'll be something in the background of a scene that goes across the whole screen and if I look from side to side I'll notice how its color/hue/tone/temperature/whatever changes slightly across the screen. At times it feels like there's a slight haze near the left edge of the screen.

So I'm wondering if there's anything that can be adjusted anywhere that might have an affect...
post #553 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 09:22 AM

Are there any other options (maybe hidden in the service menu) to get more digital channels? The A2000 doesn't seem to recognize a digital channel unless it finds it with Auto Program, where it has to be fairly strong. Pushing '3.1' doesn't do anything, even if I know a station is there.

It would seem useful to be able to manually tune a digital channel, maybe one that is weak such that the Auto Program doesn't find it. The Auto Program says it can take "50+ Minutes" but only takes a few. Maybe it's running through them too fast to find a weaker signal.

Any tips/tricks on doing this?
post #554 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 09:34 AM

Hi,

I just got my Sony Tv and am having a ton of trouble getting it setup. I have the TV, Comcast HDTV cable box, Sony VCR, Ps2 and Sony AVD-C700es DVD/Home Thearter combo unit.

I seem to have everything working ok, but the picture on the TV on regular cable channels is very blurry/pixelated. The HD channels look pretty good, but not as good as I would have thought. They look like the normal channels should look.

On DVD the picture looks pretty nice though.

Also, I cant get the cable remote to change the volume... it doesnt work for volume but everything else works... Any ideas?

Here is how i have it connected if it helps you troubleshoot for me.

on the tv i have digital out optical going to .......the receiver, tv/sat optical

then i have on the tv, component inputs going to the receiver component video out.

then i have playstation coming from the tv's video in and white/red connected to receivers video 2 in for the audio

then i have vcr line out going to receivers video 1 audio in and video 1 video in

then i have from tv HDMI in to the cable box HDMI out

then on the cable box i have audio out going to the receivers tv sat in

then i have the wall jack for the cable going to the cable box in

also on the receiver, monitor video out going to the back of the tv, video in

I am not good at this stuff at all. I am new to all of this and pretty confused.. ;(

Could somebody run me through the connections and how they should be setup?

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!
post #555 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstup View Post

How about disconnecting the antenna (better yet shorting it) and running auto program - it shouldn't detect any, then you can just put in the ones you want.
post #556 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanjibankers View Post

Hi,

I just got my Sony Tv and am having a ton of trouble getting it setup. I have the TV, Comcast HDTV cable box, Sony VCR, Ps2 and Sony AVD-C700es DVD/Home Thearter combo unit.

I seem to have everything working ok, but the picture on the TV on regular cable channels is very blurry/pixelated. The HD channels look pretty good, but not as good as I would have thought. They look like the normal channels should look.

Also, I cant get the cable remote to change the volume... it doesnt work for volume but everything else works... Any ideas?

on the tv i have digital out optical going to .......the receiver, tv/sat optical

then i have on the tv, component inputs going to the receiver component video out.

then i have playstation coming from the tv's video in and white/red connected to receivers video 2 in for the audio

then i have vcr line out going to receivers video 1 audio in and video 1 video in

I am not good at this stuff at all. I am new to all of this and pretty confused.. ;(

I would love it if someone could point me to a rundown of how this should be set up or just tell us newbies. I have searched for a clear rundown and have not found it in a concise way.

I have all of my manuals open and I am drawing a diagram so I am ready when the TV shows up on Sunday.

I have ( just like the post above):
A2000
Cable box
DVD
VCR
Home Theater

Anyone know of a place that shows the best setup for all of this because the manuals do not go together well.

Thanks
post #557 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the help DG - I went back and changed it to 6, though, to be honest, I didn't see any difference other than it moved the picture by 1 pixel or so to the side.

I did find, however, that Detail enhancer really sharpens up the picture and takes away from the 'softness.' I'm no professional, I only know what I see, and I like what Detail Enhancer is doing. I know people recommend that all of these settings be 'off' and all of mine are with the exception of detail enhancer. Anyone have any opinions on this? (I was watching the US open on Universal HD and saw a big difference when Detail Enhancer was at Max during still closeups of people in the stands. When it is off, their faces look soft - when it is on, their faces look sharp. I thought all of these enhancements were supposed to be bogus??)

Cheers.

Yes I have a strong opinion on this. I absolutely low the Detailer Enhancer set to Low, or perhaps Medium but no higher. It definately sharpens the picture in a natural way unlike the sharpness which I recommend be set no higher than 30. I do not see any artifacts or downsides from using the Detail Enhancer. Even if it turns out that this is a 'trick' and the sharpness is indeed artifical - so be it - there is definately more detail and sharpness that way and with no downside its a winner.
post #558 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly View Post

I have ( just like the post above):
A2000
Cable box
DVD
VCR
Home Theater

Anyone know of a place that shows the best setup for all of this because the manuals do not go together well.

Thanks

I would connect the Cable Box and DVD player using HDMI (if available) and component cables for the VCR and any other equipment that needs to be connected. If those aren't available, use S-Video.

As for Audio, connect everything directly from the component to the receiver using Digital Outputs (Optical or Coax). If these aren't available, use some high quality RCA cables.
post #559 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar1079 View Post

I would connect the Cable Box and DVD player using HDMI (if available) and component cables for the VCR and any other equipment that needs to be connected. If those aren't available, use S-Video.

As for Audio, connect everything directly from the component to the receiver using Digital Outputs (Optical or Coax). If these aren't available, use some high quality RCA cables.

Thanks for the reply- that is a start but I am looking to find a resource (as I don't expect anyone to do it on this thread) for getting an explanation of the setup (almost a schematic if you will) of what gets connected to what and in what order. For instance, my reciever says to run the video thru the receiver before going to the TV and I know that is not right.

I have schematics from all of the components but they do not all say the same thing. The manual from the A2000 gives alot of options and does not include a home theater reciever in the schematic. If it did that would be what I want ( page 17 of manual) but it lacks the home theater component for some reason.

Any help with a resource or do you care to jump in and give it a shot? FWIW I have been looking all over for this info before and after posting this...
post #560 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Here's the link to my orginal reply to your original thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8385984
post #561 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 11:22 AM

I changed my LPF setting to 6, but when I turned to a SD channel, the picture looked horrible. Should I be watching SD channels through another input, such as s-video, then swith to input 6 when I want to watch HD channels? Also, does anyone have good settings for cleaning up the PQ when watching SD channels. The setting I use for HD doesn't seem to make it look good. By the way, I'm running Dish TV with a Vip622 STB. Thanks for the help.
post #562 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g182237 View Post

I changed my LPF setting to 6, but when I turned to a SD channel, the picture looked horrible. Should I be watching SD channels through another input, such as s-video, then swith to input 6 when I want to watch HD channels? Also, does anyone have good settings for cleaning up the PQ when watching SD channels. The setting I use for HD doesn't seem to make it look good. By the way, I'm running Dish TV with a Vip622 STB. Thanks for the help.

You can enhance SD by using s-video to a different TV input, and customizing that input for SD content.

I think part of this problem is that the E* 622 STB does not have a "Pass-Through" setting for the resolution. The 622 is doing the upconversion from 480i to 1080i (or 720p, depending on your setting).
post #563 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

the Detailer Enhancer set to Low, or perhaps Medium but no higher. It definately sharpens the picture in a natural way unlike the sharpness which I recommend be set no higher than 30. I do not see any artifacts or downsides from using the Detail Enhancer. Even if it turns out that this is a 'trick' and the sharpness is indeed artifical - so be it - there is definately more detail and sharpness that way and with no downside its a winner.

I completely agree. While there was so much concern about the DRC chip, as it's intended to improve the clarity and reality of the picture, there's been relatively little attention paid to the "detail enhancer" which works very well on HD sources set to low or medium. It's my opinion too that it's a winner.
post #564 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
GOOGER- My TV arrived this afternoon. Yeah! I'm currently starting to do some basic tweeks and went in to look and set YLFR. I'm using the component video inputs for 1080i from a Dishnetwork HD box (the new MPEG4 version). The YFLR is set to 0.

1) Does YFLR only effect the digital inputs?
2) How do you get out of the service menu (after saving changes)
3) What is the best picture / test to use to determine if 1080 detail is being displayed corectlly? I have AVIA and HQV? Much thanks!!!
post #565 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just completed by basic adjustments and picture looks excellent and SHARP in HD!

Here are my observations. Note I'm using component video input and 1080i from new Dish Network (MPEG4 compression) HD box or OPPO 971 upscaling DVD player.

My initial settings in after using AVIA test patterns:
- YFLR = 6 (changed from 0) I will a/b test this later
- Detail Enhancment, Edge enhancdement OFF- (even low settings added some white edges around objects)
- Sharpness- minimum (although a couple notches up seemed okay, too)
- Advanced Iris=minimum
- picture = maximum (half way to maximum had no adverse effect on detail in test pattern so I went with the highest setting (which was factory default on this by the way)
- Brightness = 54
- Color = 45
- heu = 0
- noise reduction = off
I had to do a vertical shift to the right about 2 inches and also a horizontal shift down. the vertical shift is fine, but horizontal shift is maxed and still needs to move another inch.

The following are still at factory default because I haven't been able to test these yet.
- black corrector = high (not sure about this one yet)
- gamma = low (not sure ab out this one)
Any comments, questions or suggestions about the settings or the one's I haven't set yet would be great.
post #566 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 04:25 PM

Ok guys, got it all setup and working the way I want to.

The Comcast guy was out and we switched HDTV cable boxes, tested the connection etc... Standard Def channels still look pretty crappy. High def looks nice and DVD is awesome!

What tweaks could I do to get my KDS-60A2000 standard cable channels through the comcast box to look better?
post #567 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What tweaks could I do to get my KDS-60A2000 standard cable channels through the comcast box to look better?

You can try my settings: sourcery's settings. I'm quite pleased with the way SD looks on my 60A2000 with my settings.

If your previous TV was a lot smaller than your A2000, you may be a victim of the difference in screen size. SD was never intended to be viewed on the giant TVs of today. At any size larger than about 36", all of the inherent flaws in SD become blindingly obvious.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #568 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomcreek View Post

I just completed by basic adjustments and picture looks excellent and SHARP in HD!

Here are my observations. Note I'm using component video input and 1080i from new Dish Network (MPEG4 compression) HD box or OPPO 971 upscaling DVD player.

My initial settings in after using AVIA test patterns:
- YFLR = 6 (changed from 0) I will a/b test this later
- Detail Enhancment, Edge enhancdement OFF- (even low settings added some white edges around objects)
- Sharpness- minimum (although a couple notches up seemed okay, too)
- Advanced Iris=minimum
- picture = maximum (half way to maximum had no adverse effect on detail in test pattern so I went with the highest setting (which was factory default on this by the way)
- Brightness = 54
- Color = 45
- heu = 0
- noise reduction = off
I had to do a vertical shift to the right about 2 inches and also a horizontal shift down. the vertical shift is fine, but horizontal shift is maxed and still needs to move another inch.

The following are still at factory default because I haven't been able to test these yet.
- black corrector = high (not sure about this one yet)
- gamma = low (not sure ab out this one)
Any comments, questions or suggestions about the settings or the one's I haven't set yet would be great.

Just my opinion - try turning black corrector OFF (likely crushing your blacks currently), gamma OFF, Pictures 88, Sharpness 25-30, Detailer Enhancer ON, color temp Warm 2. See my review on the A2000 posted in a separate thread for full setting details and explanations.
post #569 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

My green-blob-infected R60XBR1 was exchanged on 2006-08-13 (Sunday) for a new R60A2000. The delivery guys left just after noon PDT.

After many hours of tweaking (including the use of a THX configurator,) and also after considering the settings suggested by others in this thread, the CNET recommendations, and last but not least, the recommendations made by lovingdvd in his great review of the A2000 , here are the settings I have chosen in an attempt to reproduce the "3D," "depthy" and "filmlike, not-a-TV" look of my XBR1:

"Picture" Page (Custom Mode)

Advanced Iris: Auto 2 (use Auto 1 if the ambient light is especially bright)
Picture: 88
Brightness: [range from 50 to 58, depending on ambient light]
....Bright ambient light: 58 [daytime, lots of bright lamps]
....Single dim light far off to the side: 50
....Good "general purpose" value (on my set, with my usual lighting conditions) is 56.
Color: 36
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 2 (with white balance adjustements)
Sharpness: 30
Noise Reduction: Off [HDMI/Internal Tuner] or Auto [Component]

Advanced Settings (Custom Mode)

Black Corrector: Low
Gamma: Off
Live Color: Off
Detail Enhancer: Medium or Low
Edge Enhancer: Off

White Balance (same as CNET):
r-gain: -2
g-gain: -1
b-gain: 0
r-bias: -3
g-bias: -2
b-bias: -1

"Setup" Page

Color Matrix: Custom (using the default color mappings)
CineMotion: Auto
DRC: (86, 26)
Power Saving Mode: On

Settings not mentioned are set to factory defaults.

I find that my settings result in PQ for HD content on the A2000 that is superior overall to that of my XBR1 (which had issues other than just the Green Blob, and so may have had a worse PQ than other XBR1s, especially the later builds.)

Up til now, my practice when configuring TV picture settings has been to use a contrast (picture) setting closer to the middle of the set's range. The reason is that it always seemed to me that the higher settings for contrast caused black crush, and also caused some other form of distortion for which I have no name--it makes the picture look less natural, at least to me.

Thanks to lovingdvd's comments (see above,) I think I now know what the problem has been with setting contrast too high. Also thanks to him, I decided to try setting the A2000's contrast to some value in the 80-88 range. I finally settled on 84 (which just happens to be the same as the value recommended by CNET, by the way.) I have to say that that is the highest contrast setting that has ever worked for me. I hope that's a sign of the technological progress we're making in TV technology.

Thanks for the tips.

I found everything and changed them except:
CineMotion: Auto (is greyed out)
DRC: (86, 26) (is greyed out)

Couldnt find contrast either to change to your recommendation...

Can you help?
post #570 of 3250 Old 09-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Since I'm not 100% positive when I'll get back to working with my coworker's set, I figured I'd post the current settings for his set. These settings are subject to change if / when I figure out a way of altering the color primaries to be closer to the REC709 standards (red and especially green are pretty significantly oversaturated). Color primaries are not normally adjustable on most TV's but umr figured out a way of doing it on the A2000 he calibrated, so I'm not willing to give up on this goal just yet. Anyway, what follows is what my coworker's set is currently using (note that the following assumes you are already familiar with navigating your way around the service menu and making changes in it):

User-menu:

Code:
Mode: Custom 

Iris: Auto 2 
      Picture: 85 
   Brightness: 52 
        Color: 53 
          Hue: Centered (0?) 
    Sharpness: 30 
   Color temp: Warm 2 

Advanced: All enhancements off 
White balance: Unchanged 

Other settings: 

Power saving mode: On 
         Cinemotion: Auto 
       Color matrix: Custom, left at default settings 
                      (601 for 480i/p; 
                       709 for 720p/1080i/1080p)
-

Service menu (followed by explanations of what the settings do):

Code:
PANEL 
  2 WB 
    3 R_GAIN 127 (default 128) 
    4 G_GAIN 108 (default 109) 
    5 B_GAIN 72  (default 68) 
    6 R_BIAS 128 (unchanged) 
    7 G_BIAS 126 (unchanged) 
    8 B_BIAS 125 (default 127)
White balance - the settings above bring my coworker's set to extremely close to D65 at all IRE's >= 15 or so regardless of iris setting (dE <= 3 and <= 1 at 30+ IRE).

Code:
WEM SERVICE 
  011 col_lum axis_ycp.spf 
    000 RYB 0   (unchanged) 
    001 RYR 27  (default 32) 
    002 GYB 99  (unchanged) 
    003 GYR 146 (unchanged)
Color decoder - affects brightness of the RGB color primaries and hence the actual colors of the CMY secondaries - the above reduces red brightness a touch to eliminate the very minor red push that existed. Note that despite the set's oversaturated green primary, I left the color decoder's green settings unchanged because the green component of the cyan and yellow secondaries were already accurate when the color of green was taken into consideration.

Code:
WEM SERVICE 
  016 col_lum ycc_ccp.spf 
    000 CODL 8 (default 6) - 720p  
             7 (default 6) - 1080i 
             8 (default 7) - 480i/p
Chroma delay - used to fix colors being horizontally offset from the luma information in the picture - 720p was the worst offender before this fix. Note this isn't the same as misconvergence.

Code:
WEM SERVICE 
  057 pip_user_gm.spf 
    000 UGAM 53 (default 51 on HDMI, default 46 on component)
Gamma - optimizes gamma curve for a more natural / less "contrasty" image (subjectively this also seems to make green and red less objectionable and, more directly, also greatly helps dark scene details).

Code:
WEM SERVICE 
  108 sharp xspp_ccp.spf 
    014 YFLR 6 (default 5) - 1080i 
                 unchanged - other resolutions
The infamous low-pass filter fix.

-

Other miscellaneous notes:
  • The user-menu and service-menu settings are tuned for use with one another as some of them do affect one another. For example, before the service-menu gamma change, the correct brightness setting in the user menu was something in the 55-56 ballpark instead. Similarly, the color decoder settings are greatly affected by the user-menu color and hue settings.
  • I prefer doing the white balance tuning in the service menu over the user menu because the precision for fine-tuning it is greater, though ironically enough, lovingdvd claims he got his A2000's white balance tighter at the lower IRE's than I was able to using just the user-menu versions of these controls.
  • Since I last worked on my coworker's set, I played around with the user-menu gamma enhancement setting on my personal GWIII set (a Sony LCD projection set that's a nearly 3-year old model). Turning it up from the default of off does in fact decrease the gamma but it destroys the smooth gamma curve that off delivers. I haven't taken formal measurements to see if the same occurs on the A2000 (I haven't been back to my coworker's place since this test) but I would suspect the behavior is similar. The service menu gamma tweak I listed above reduced his gamma from ~2.6 to ~2.4 and remained perfectly smooth. If you want to go even closer to 2.2, try a value of 54 or maybe even 55 but I personally think (as do a decent number of professional calibrators) the image loses a bit too much 'pop' at that point and appears washed-out on many TV's.
  • One more setting I changed on my coworker's set that's definitely a setting specific to his set (though others that want to adjust this on theirs will now know where to be playing in the SM ):

Code:
    PANEL 
      1 TG 
        26 VSFT_R 2 (default 1)

The above offsets the red panel by 1 pixel vertically relative to the green and blue ones to improve convergence. There are settings here for all three panels, both horizontally and vertically (i.e., there are 6 settings total in the TG menu for this, plus other settings whose purpose I don't remember offhand )
  • I ordered a 70" XBR2 for myself today (9/8) which I expect will probably have a similar (but likely even more extensive) service menu to the A2000. With any luck once I have this set in my hands and calibrated I will figure out more tweaks that are applicable down the line to the A2000's as well.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page