Old 09-11-2006, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post

JasonWW,
I have a Motorola 6412 HD DVR and I can't find any "pass through" mode. Do you know if this model has one? Even with it set on 1080i it still looks very good but maybe I could do better if I was able let my A2000 do the upconverting. Thanks.

I have the same motorola HD DVR and was wondering the same thing....can anyone help us out?

OOPs sorry, I should have kept reading...ok so you cant "pass thru" on the motorola.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkserpent213 View Post

I have my whole home theater (including my A2000) plugged right into my Panamax M4300-EX home theater power conditioner. Are you saying that this type of power strip will ruin my TV?

No. The Powerstrip he is refering to is a program for PC that you can use to set resolutions. Not the powerstrips that you use to plug in and protect your equipment.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just got my new oppo 970 today..

Got things running, and tossed in Avia to setup colors sharpness, etc...

When I got to the sharprness stage, it was rather blurry (smudgy)..

I had the pioneer hdmi player(I think the dv-490v), and pioneer dv-588 player, and with the same test pattern for sharpness (and with same value on t.v. for sharpness), the pioneers look MUCH sharper..

To overcome this, I had to increase my sharpenss from 35 to 70!! After this, dvd looks awesome on the oppo...

I have the sony sxrd kds-60a2000, using the anthem D2 as the external scaler (set to 1080p)..

I'm feeding the anthem a 480i HDMI video setting..

Is this normal?? or do I have a problem... I also updated to latest beta firmware..

-thanks..
Old 09-11-2006, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Just got my new oppo 970 today..
Got things running, and tossed in Avia to setup colors sharpness, etc...
When I got to the sharprness stage, it was rather blurry (smudgy)..
I had the pioneer hdmi player(I think the dv-490v), and pioneer dv-588 player, and with the same test pattern for sharpness (and with same value on t.v. for sharpness), the pioneers look MUCH sharper..
To overcome this, I had to increase my sharpenss from 35 to 70!! After this, dvd looks awesome on the oppo...
I have the sony sxrd kds-60a2000, using the anthem D2 as the external scaler (set to 1080p)..
I'm feeding the anthem a 480i HDMI video setting..
Is this normal?? or do I have a problem... I also updated to latest beta firmware..
-thanks..

I'm very surprised at what you have indicated above. Sharpness setting on my Oppo using AVIA needed to all the way off. This was actually a problem with these initially (i.e. you couldn't turn it off) and folks complained so much they instituted a fix. Also, sharpness setting on A2000 also shoud be way down (I have it all the way down, but thought up to about 35 was tolerable.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:05 PM

checking on the possible release of A2500, which is not happening anytime soon, and the sales person said that they had one person go thru 3 A2000 before they got one right, as well as several others. But since then (he mentioned the June batch) haven't heard much! If anyone is buying this, like I want too, I recommend wherever you buy, to ask for a history run on the A2000 sold and returned recently so your decision is not flawed. My 2 cents!

dearsmiths
Old 09-11-2006, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearsmiths View Post

checking on the possible release of A2500, which is not happening anytime soon, and the sales person said that they had one person go thru 3 A2000 before they got one right, as well as several others. But since then (he mentioned the June batch) haven't heard much! If anyone is buying this, like I want too, I recommend wherever you buy, to ask for a history run on the A2000 sold and returned recently so your decision is not flawed. My 2 cents!

dearsmiths

Mine was August build and still not right! UGH
Old 09-11-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Just got my new oppo 970 today.

I'm wondering why you got the 970. I thought the 971 was the obvious choice for the A2000.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:16 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to the HD world and just got my KDS-60A2000 a couple of weeks ago. Last night we watched The Fantastic Four on HBO HD and the pixalation was killing me during some "busy" scenes. When there's a lot of movement on the screen and digital effects galore, I get tons of pixalation.

Here are my questions:

- Has anyone else experienced pixalation watching an HD movie with a lot of action?
- Is there a way to calibrate or fix this or am I just screwed?

I must add that this wasn't a "live" viewing but was based on recorded content from an HD-DVR through an HDMI connection.

Thanks,

James
Old 09-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 161
It's the source; no amount of tweaking or calibration can eliminate the blocking you see (though improper settings can exacerbate these problems). Your best course of action if you really want to improve the situation would be to switch to a higher-quality feed if available. You didn't mention who your provider is but I wouldn't be surprised if it was DirecTV given that they are notorious for brutalizing their HD signals, especially those of their movie channels (HBO, Showtime, and HDNet Movies). Personally I'm using DirecTV at the moment but I don't subscribe to any of the premium movies packages; for the mostpart on the channels I do get, the HD is watchable but definitely not spectacular. I'm somewhat hopeful but skeptical that the quality will improve at the same time that DirecTV launches more national HD channels next year when they bring their new satellites online (note however that they have yet to be launched at this point, so even this speculation is barring any disasters such as the rockets blowing up or veering off course and getting lost ).
Old 09-11-2006, 03:31 PM

I've never seen pixelation on anything I've watched. It sounds more like a broadcast/dvr issue.

What input are you using and how is the STB set up? I recorded Fantastic Four on my SA8300HD and the picture quality was excellent.

The only time I've ever seen any digital artifacts are during football games where they seem to be having broadcast issues.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googer View Post

It's the source; no amount of tweaking or calibration can eliminate the blocking you see (though improper settings can exacerbate these problems). Your best course of action if you really want to improve the situation would be to switch to a higher-quality feed if available. You didn't mention who your provider is but I wouldn't be surprised if it was DirecTV given that they are notorious for brutalizing their HD signals, especially those of their movie channels (HBO, Showtime, and HDNet Movies). Personally I'm using DirecTV at the moment but I don't subscribe to any of the premium movies packages; for the mostpart on the channels I do get, the HD is watchable but definitely not spectacular. I'm somewhat hopeful but skeptical that the quality will improve at the same time that DirecTV launches more national HD channels next year when they bring their new satellites online (note however that they have yet to be launched at this point, so even this speculation is barring any disasters such as the rockets blowing up or veering off course and getting lost ).

I am curious if HD-DVD and Blu-ray have any 'blocking' or pixelation issues during fast movement scenes (action, football, etc). Since there is no concern for bandwidth and compression, using HD-DVD/Blu-ray should eliminate this problem entirely, correct?

60A2000 - June build, 3 tuner Media Center, XBox 360 extender
Old 09-11-2006, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I've created a simple worksheet in Excel to track my user and service menu settings. The sheet is protected so you can only select editable fields. To unprotect, the password is 'password' without the quotes.

It is based off of settings suggested by Googer, but you can modify it to suit your needs. The settings in orange are the changes, blue are defaults.

BTW, Googer, thanx a bunch for your kindness to share your calibrated settings!!!

link to Excel spreadsheet

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
Old 09-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post

I'm wondering why you got the 970. I thought the 971 was the obvious choice for the A2000.

Hello,,

I got the 970 since I have an external scaler.. This way, I can use the 970 to output 480i to my scaler, and have it do all the work..
Old 09-11-2006, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

Use ITU709 for HD sources, and ITU601 for SD sources.

I'm watching both DVD and HD content through my HTPC.....so I have to change the Color Matrix everytime I change in between the 2 formats?

What a PITA.....

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
Old 09-11-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoD View Post

I've never seen pixelation on anything I've watched. It sounds more like a broadcast/dvr issue.

What input are you using and how is the STB set up? I recorded Fantastic Four on my SA8300HD and the picture quality was excellent.

The only time I've ever seen any digital artifacts are during football games where they seem to be having broadcast issues.

Thanks all for your feedback.

I have TimeWarner Cable and do have the SA8300HD box. This was the DVR that recorder it. I suppose it's possible that TWC downgraded the picture. I'll watch other HD recorded movies and update my results.

Thanks,

James
Old 09-11-2006, 05:29 PM

James, come over to this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...04#post8407104

You can hold down the Select button on the 8300HD, when the mail flashes, press the Info button. Use the remote page up button to go to page 5 and you can see your cable signal levels. They may be out of range.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamgol View Post

I have TimeWarner Cable and do have the SA8300HD box. This was the DVR that recorder it. I suppose it's possible that TWC downgraded the picture. I'll watch other HD recorded movies and update my results.

Thanks,

James

I have noticed pixalation on everything moving quickly...perhaps some channels more than others (maybe). I too have the HD8300 and I notice it on live programming not just recorded programming. Any other ideas??
Old 09-11-2006, 07:25 PM

Any tips on settings for the 50 inch...it's my first HD experience.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.10-Crux View Post

I am curious if HD-DVD and Blu-ray have any 'blocking' or pixelation issues during fast movement scenes (action, football, etc). Since there is no concern for bandwidth and compression, using HD-DVD/Blu-ray should eliminate this problem entirely, correct?

Don't see any blocking or pixelation on HD-DVD. I do see it on some DishNet channels.

DSKTexas
Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.10-Crux View Post

HD-DVD is much, much better in that regard. I get a lot of blocking on HBO etc on Comcast cable.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamgol View Post

Thanks,

James

What kind of output are you using, and do you have the box set to pass-thru so it is not doing any upconverting?

I am using HDMI out of the SA8300 and set the box to HDMI/DVI AUTO, which sends the signal in its native format and allows the TV to do the upconverting. I'm not sure if this will help with your specifiv problem or not.

I'd also check the quality of the cable running to your box. How often is it split? Some people have suggested line amplifiers, although I'd be worried about this also amplifying any noise in the signal. You may be able to call the cable company and have them run an extra line to your house to give you a better signal, I had them do this so that my cable modem has its own drop separate from my DVR.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

HD-DVD is much, much better in that regard. I get a lot of blocking on HBO etc on Comcast cable.

I also get that with Cox Cable...I am not too happy with their service at all.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Ive had the A2000 for about 4 days now..it seems to have gotten crisper and clearer over that few days...is that even possible ?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:07 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog2004 View Post

Ive had the A2000 for about 4 days now..it seems to have gotten crisper and clearer over that few days...is that even possible ?

Definitely. All sets look better after 20 or so hours. Even lamp replacements require the same time to "burn in". Reputable ISF techs want 100-150 hours on the set/lamp before they do their work.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

I just set my tv to CNET's suggestions. I don't like detail enhancer, and edge enhancer set to OFF as they suggested though...having them on sharpens the picture a bit to my eyes. The complaint I have is that when I set IRIS to MIN I end up with a color uniformity issue...the left half of the screen runs a bit green, and the right half a bit purple. Quite obvious on white or light scenes. If I set the Iris back to AUTO 2 the issue is not noticible. Any idea what is going on here? The set looks great otherwise...I guess I can just use AUTO 2 all the time, and forget the MIN setting they suggested if I have to. My guess is the convergence varies across the screen, and somehow the lower iris shows it more.

I agree with turning the detail enhancer on...I find it adds great detail to the picture with little to no adverse effects elsehwere. I think those that say the picture is soft need to turn this on.

I actually have it set to HIGH....I do leave edge enhancer off though, as I dont see much impact on the picture.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFreek View Post

I agree with turning the detail enhancer on...I find it adds great detail to the picture with little to no adverse effects elsehwere. I think those that say the picture is soft need to turn this on.

I actually have it set to HIGH....I do leave edge enhancer off though, as I dont see much impact on the picture.

The only time I could see the edge enhancer at work was on the shadow lines of the pointer curser when I hooked up my laptop. It cleaned up the line nicely.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearsmiths View Post

dearsmiths

Had my 55" for about 3 weeks...no issues...got it from **************....

As far as the A2500's, I would not hold your breath...those have only been announced in Japan...

I am very happy with my 55"....no regrets, glad I stayed away from the Samsung DLP I wanted (although, do wonder about that 58" plasma I was eyeing).

Just wish D* would clean up their damn signal...
Old 09-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quick question though, I did notice some slight overscan this morning on the HDNET test pattern....nothing terrible, but would like to tweak if possible.

Anyway to do this on the A2000's?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Quick question though, I did notice some slight overscan this morning on the HDNET test pattern....nothing terrible, but would like to tweak if possible.

Anyway to do this on the A2000's?

HDNet Test Pattern showing overscan has known problems - DO NOT RELY on that pattern!

http://www.smartcalibration.com/hdnetoverscan.html

Dave Hancock
Old 09-12-2006, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Had my 55" for about 3 weeks...no issues...got it from **************....

As far as the A2500's, I would not hold your breath...those have only been announced in Japan...

I am very happy with my 55"....no regrets, glad I stayed away from the Samsung DLP I wanted (although, do wonder about that 58" plasma I was eyeing).

Just wish D* would clean up their damn signal...

In case my SXRD # 2 is a dud, what 58 inch plasma were you considering, and how many times SXRD price was it?