Owners ONLY thread - >>>KDS-A2000's<<< - Settings/Tweaks - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 3250 Old 08-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
sourcery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim86 View Post

Thanks for the information. Since I'm getting the 50', would the settings reproduce the same picture as it would on the 60'?

Also I would sugest you compare your settings to these. There AGZELA's settings after an ISF calibration.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...68#post8150268

The settings are almost certainly screen-size independent.

After giving AGZELA's settings a try, my opinion is that their worth must depend more than trivially on the service menu setting changes by AGZELA's ISF calibrator.

However, I did decide to make a few changes, partly as a result of trying AGZELA's settings:

1. Changed the Color Matrix to custom, using the default color mappings. I hadn't noticed the "Color Matrix" before. I'm pretty sure the RxXBR1s don't have that setting. [Note: It's not on the Picture settings page, but rather on the final settings page--the same one where the "Power Saving Mode" is located.]

2. Changed the Cinemotion setting to Auto. On the RxXBR1's, this setting is part of the Picture settings page. On the A2000, it's on the same settings page as the "Power Saving Mode" setting.

3. Changed the DRC Palette to (86, 26.) This differs from AGZELA's settings.

4. Changed the Color Temp to Warm1.

After further tweaking, I've made one additional change: I changed the picture (contrast) setting to 62 from 55.

I left all my other settings alone. I've edited my settings post to reflect these changes.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
sourcery is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 3250 Old 08-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Member
 
bmacgyver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Received my KDS-60A2000 one week ago and LOVE the picture but I'm having two big problems, and I'm hoping someone can help.
The TV displays the incorrect resolution- When watching a 480i picture via DISH Network it displays that it is really 1080i and therefore I cannot adjust DRC pallette or cinemotion as they are greyed out. In fact, all DISH Network channels are recognized as 1080i whether they really are or not. This is true via HDMI or component input. Also widescreen DVD's are recognized as 480p 4:3 instead of 16:9 and therefore cannot fill the entire screen. Am I the only one experiencing this problem or does someone have a tweak to fix this? Do I need to call Sony to have it fixed via warranty? Any help would be appreciated.

PS the tweaks in this forum have helped to improve the picture immensely!!!
bmacgyver is offline  
post #153 of 3250 Old 08-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
sourcery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacgyver View Post

Received my KDS-60A2000 one week ago and LOVE the picture but I'm having two big problems, and I'm hoping someone can help.
The TV displays the incorrect resolution- When watching a 480i picture via DISH Network it displays that it is really 1080i and therefore I cannot adjust DRC pallette or cinemotion as they are greyed out. In fact, all DISH Network channels are recognized as 1080i whether they really are or not. This is true via HDMI or component input. Also widescreen DVD's are recognized as 480p 4:3 instead of 16:9 and therefore cannot fill the entire screen. Am I the only one experiencing this problem or does someone have a tweak to fix this? Do I need to call Sony to have it fixed via warranty? Any help would be appreciated.

PS the tweaks in this forum have helped to improve the picture immensely!!!

Yes, I also have Dishnetwork. But the problem is not the TV, it's the Dishnetwork STB, which has no "pass-through" mode that I can find. The STB is doing its own upconversion from 480i to 1080i. You can set it to output 480i--but then it does that for all content, which is not what you want.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
sourcery is offline  
post #154 of 3250 Old 08-14-2006, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

Yes, I also have Dishnetwork. But the problem is not the TV, it's the Dishnetwork STB, which has no "pass-through" mode that I can find. The STB is doing its own upconversion from 480i to 1080i. You can set it to output 480i--but then it does that for all content, which is not what you want.

This is an area where the cable guys do better. MY DCT6412 outs composite, S-video, component and HDMI simultaneously. I have found that the A2000's processor works much better on SD source than the box. So when using SD, I have my harmony remote select S-video input, and for HD, it selects HDMI. Since the A2000 allows you to customize display settings by input, I can have SD optimized settings on the S-video input, and HD optimzed ones for the HDMI.

I don't think any Dish box does this sort of thing, so you basically have to settle for compromise "one size fits all" setting.

Thanks,
Mike
MikeSM is offline  
post #155 of 3250 Old 08-14-2006, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
dallas27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My cable box actually allows for multiple output settings, which I have set to allow three outputs, 480i, 720p, and 1080i. it take a little longer for channels to change this way, but it gives me native res output and allows my tv to upconvert, which definately looks better.

Its a SA3200 or 3250 I think. Have to check when I get home.
dallas27 is offline  
post #156 of 3250 Old 08-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
sourcery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post

My cable box actually allows for multiple output settings, which I have set to allow three outputs, 480i, 720p, and 1080i. it take a little longer for channels to change this way, but it gives me native res output and allows my tv to upconvert, which definately looks better.

Its a SA3200 or 3250 I think. Have to check when I get home.

The Sony HD200 STB I used to have (OTA and DirecTV) had passthrough mode, so that it would send the TV the same resolution and scanning strategy as that of the original signal.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
sourcery is offline  
post #157 of 3250 Old 08-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Newbie
 
coachpotato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by harync View Post

Jbug,

Regarding Optical out, here is my experience with the a2000:

Comcast cable (Gurnee, IL) directly into a2000 bypassing the box gets me a usable 5.1 signal from the HD networks, NBC, CBS, etc to my Yamaha RX-V496 receiver. (of course you can't get the HD-cable channels this way).

Comcast cable to the box and from the box to the a2000 via HDMI gets me either nothing (via the auto-output mode on the cable box) or a message on screen saying "audio is unuseable" or something to that effect (via pass-through mode on the cablebox). I have to use the optical out from the cable box to my receiver for 5.1.

I can't remember if I had the speakers set to off or the audio set to fixed (I don't believe so).


Long time lurker, and new owner of the a2000, and I am seeing this same problem. Is it because the A2000 is not detecting the audio properly on the HDMI input, and therefore no output? I really would prefer to come straight out of the TV to the receiver, so that I don't have to change the audio input on my receiver when I change devices. Anyone have a setting that might fix this?
I tried the audio in both fixed and variable mode, with the speakers on and off. None of those settings worked.
Not that I think this is a problem, but I am using a older Kenwood Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver.
coachpotato is offline  
post #158 of 3250 Old 08-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
sourcery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpotato View Post

Long time lurker, and new owner of the a2000, and I am seeing this same problem. Is it because the A2000 is not detecting the audio properly on the HDMI input, and therefore no output? I really would prefer to come straight out of the TV to the receiver, so that I don't have to change the audio input on my receiver when I change devices. Anyone have a setting that might fix this?
I tried the audio in both fixed and variable mode, with the speakers on and off. None of those settings worked.
Not that I think this is a problem, but I am using a older Kenwood Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver.

Neither the XBR1s nor the A2000s do audio switching. The audio input is sent only to the set's own speakers, and nowhere else. The purpose of the set's audio-out connector is to send audio from the internal tuner to an external receiver or preamp.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
sourcery is offline  
post #159 of 3250 Old 08-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Newbie
 
SirJMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

My green-blob-infected R60XBR1 was exchanged today for a new R60A2000. The delivery guys left just after noon PDT.

After several hours of tweaking (including the use of a THX configurator,) here are the settings I have chosen in an attempt to reproduce the "3D," "depthy" and "filmlike, not-a-TV" look of my XBR1:

"Picture" Page (Custom Mode)

Advanced Iris: Auto1 during the day, Auto 2 at night
Picture: 62 [Changed]
Brightness: 57
Color: 40
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 1 [Changed]
Sharpness: 50 [Changed]
Noise Reduction: Off [HDMI/Internal Tuner] or Auto [Component]

Advanced Settings (Custom Mode)

Black Corrector: Low
Gamma: Off
Live Color: Off [I haven't researched this one yet]
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off

"Setup" Page

Color Matrix: Custom (using the default color mappings) [Changed]
CineMotion: Auto [Changed]
DRC: (86, 26) [Changed]

Settings not mentioned are set to factory defaults.

I have very intentionally not looked at anyone else's settings for the A2000. I wanted to form an independent opinion. Now that I have done so, I will now contrast/compre my settings versus those of others, to see what can be learned therefrom. If I decide to change any settings as a result, I'll edit this post with that information.

Here are some photos of my set after applying my tweaks:

Sweet! I'll try these ASAP and share my findings. Thanks sourcery.
SirJMark is offline  
post #160 of 3250 Old 08-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
sourcery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still tweaking.

I found viewing Smallville and Kingdom of Heaven (HD, not DVD) to be especially helpful in refining my settings. I also like to use RaveHD as a test case.

I've also experimented with some of the settings suggested by others. As a result, I have made the following changes to my canonical settings:

Brightness: 58 (+1)
Color: 38 (-2)
Color Temperature: Neutral (was Warm 1)
Power Saving Mode: On

With these changes, it seems the PQ (at least for HD content) is actually superior to that of the XBR1 (overall, not in every respect.)

I'm a total novice at photography, but by playing with my camera for the past week, trying to take a good picture of my TV, I think I'm getting much better at it. So here's a photo I just took of my set, after my most recent tweakings:


Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
sourcery is offline  
post #161 of 3250 Old 08-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Member
 
tim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

I'm still tweaking.

I found viewing Smallville and Kingdom of Heaven (HD, not DVD) to be especially helpful in refining my settings. I also like to use RaveHD as a test case.

I've also experimented with some of the settings suggested by others. As a result, I have made the following changes to my canonical settings:

Brightness: 58 (+1)
Color: 38 (-2)
Color Temperature: Neutral (was Warm 1)
Power Saving Mode: On

With these changes, it seems the PQ (at least for HD content) is actually superior to that of the XBR1 (overall, not in every respect.)

Ive noticed most people have done something to the white balance settings. CNET also changed them. Did you find it best to leave them at the factory defaults?
tim86 is offline  
post #162 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
sourcery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim86 View Post

Ive noticed most people have done something to the white balance settings. CNET also changed them. Did you find it best to leave them at the factory defaults?

Yes. They were good enough to my eye. Without the necessary equipment, trying to adjust them by hand is only recommended when they are clearly misadjusted. Getting the white balance/gray scale adjusted perfectly is one of the key benefits of a professional calibration--something I recommend.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
sourcery is offline  
post #163 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
tmeader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI, I emailed Dave at Cnet about still not seeing the Cnet review settings online. He got back to me with a direct link (and they should now be on the site as well).

http://reviews.cnet.com/9601-4_7-0-4...sageID=2506536

I can only get it to open with Internet Explorer at the moment, but Dave is aware of the problem (that at least I'm having) with other browsers, and is going to have the web guys look into it.
tmeader is offline  
post #164 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Member
 
dgpruitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pojoaque, NM
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader View Post

FYI, I emailed Dave at Cnet about still not seeing the Cnet review settings online. He got back to me with a direct link (and they should now be on the site as well).

http://reviews.cnet.com/9601-4_7-0-4...sageID=2506536

I can only get it to open with Internet Explorer at the moment, but Dave is aware of the problem (that at least I'm having) with other browsers, and is going to have the web guys look into it.

Here they are:

Picture menu:
Mode: Custom
Advanced iris: Min
Picture: 84
Brightness: 56
Color: 41
Hue: 0
Color temp: Warm2
Sharpness: 50
Noise reduction: Off

--Advanced Settings--
Black corrector: Off
Gamma: Off
Clear white: Off
Live color: Off
White balance: (see below)
Detail enhancer: Off
Edge enhancer: Off

--White balance--
R-gain: -2
G-gain: -1
B-gain: 0
R-bias: -3
G-bias: -2
B-bias: -1

Setup menu:

Color matrix: Standard
Power saving: On
dgpruitt is offline  
post #165 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Member
 
hughesne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have used various settings to my 60a2000 from this thread and have had great results. Even got most of the SD channels looking better, mostly because I am using HDMI now, that seemed to really help.

For those interested, the basics of my setup are TWC-8300HD ->HDMI->Denon 2807->A2000

And yes, audio and video work fine with this setup.
hughesne is offline  
post #166 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Newbie
 
Alex1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased A2000 60 inch 2 weeks ago. Few days ago I have noticed that when I watch TV in completely dark room and the screen goes black I can see purple tint to the picture. It is also apparent when I switch between inputs. However when I use my PC and choose blank (black) for the screen saver the screen becomes uniformly black (almost). Have any of you guys experienced the same problem? Also when I was trying to figure out what the problem with the screen was I have noticed something interesting with the screen. In completely dark room and the screen displaying black picture I came very close to the TV and looked at the screen from above - down. I could see light illuminating from the center of the screen going upwards and additional light going from the left part of the screen upwards. You can not see it from the distance, but it is very apparent when you come close to the TV and look at the screen at the certain angle
Thanks in advance for any help.
Alex1224 is offline  
post #167 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Newbie
 
coachpotato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

Neither the XBR1s nor the A2000s do audio switching. The audio input is sent only to the set's own speakers, and nowhere else. The purpose of the set's audio-out connector is to send audio from the internal tuner to an external receiver or preamp.

Thanks Sourcery. Disappointing, but makes sense.
coachpotato is offline  
post #168 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Member
 
Covak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1224 View Post

Few days ago I have noticed that when I watch TV in completely dark room and the screen goes black I can see purple tint to the picture. It is also apparent when I switch between inputs. However when I use my PC and choose blank (black) for the screen saver the screen becomes uniformly black (almost). Have any of you guys experienced the same problem?

My screensaver is the blank one, with a short timer, so I see this every time I switch input to my PC. But I wouldn't call that a problem. Just seems that no signal isn't exactly the same as an all black signal.

Are you seeing this with black screens when there is a signal?
Covak is offline  
post #169 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Member
 
hughesne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpotato View Post

Thanks Sourcery. Disappointing, but makes sense.

I dont understand why your setup would require this functionality. If you set it up correctly, everything should work fine. If sony thought people were running audio in to run back out, they would have considered this, but 99% of people do not.
hughesne is offline  
post #170 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if folks had specific settings for HD vs SD content. The settings posted don't seem to make that distinction, but my setup is designed for HD and upconverted DVD to come in via HDMI, and SD content via S-video. This seems to give me the best in both domains with default settings, but as I start to tweak things I was wondering if anyone out there had a similar setup and had a good starting point for seperate settings for HD and SD?

Thanks,
Mike
MikeSM is offline  
post #171 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Newbie
 
Alex1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covak View Post

My screensaver is the blank one, with a short timer, so I see this every time I switch input to my PC. But I wouldn't call that a problem. Just seems that no signal isn't exactly the same as an all black signal.

Are you seeing this with black screens when there is a signal?

When I use DVE dvd and display black screen I can see it, but not nearly as bad as when I switch inputs. Do you see it when you switch between cable and DVD player?
Alex1224 is offline  
post #172 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
JasonWW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hou. TX
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Due to others explaining the benefits of using 2 inputs for the main tuner, one for SD and one for HD, I went out and got an HDMI and S-video cable. Using 2 different inputs is definetely superior to one input. I don't think it matters between the S-video or component for SD channels as they look the same, so I left the S-video connected which frees up the component input for something higher quality to use.

Anyway, I still used the same settings for SD channels:
Color Matrix to Custom
power saving mode=on
Picture settings
Picture mode= Custom
Advanced Iris= Auto 1
Picture= 65
Brightness= 51
Color= 51
Hue=G1
Color Temp=Cool
Sharpness=25
Noise Reduction=high
DRC=high density

Advanced Settings
all off, except gamma=low
and Edge Enhancement=medium

White Balance settings=
r-Gain=-7
g-gain=-7
b-Gain=0
r-bias=0
g-bias=0
b-bias= 0

Now that I'm using an HDMI cable for the HD channels I can use different settings for no compromise. I kept most the same except for these:
Sharpness=max
Noise Reduction=off
Detail Enhancer=low
Edge Enhancement=low

These changes really brought out extra detail. I have the SA 8300HD STB and I finally got a recording of the HDNET test patterns. Even with all these settings I still couldn't get the finest lines resolved. Here are the test pics and I circled the areas that are not sharp. I tried every setting I could to try and get them to show up clearly, but I just couldn't get it. Has anyone else gotten these fine lines to show clearly? Maybe I have the LPF turned on and it's reducing my resolution? Anyone know about this?

overall pic
close up

BTW, this isn't a huge issue. The screen has amazing sharpness. I was watching some HDNET and could see each individual hair strand in this guys beard as well as the strands in a wool sweater, so don't think the image quality is soft. It's great. I'm just wondering what things would look like if I could could resolve those test pattern lines. Maybe even more detail? I find that hard to believe, but maybe it's true?
JasonWW is offline  
post #173 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiomixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post

Due to others explaining the benefits of using 2 inputs for the main tuner, one for SD and one for HD, I went out and got an HDMI and S-video cable. Using 2 different inputs is definetely superior to one input. I don't think it matters between the S-video or component for SD channels as they look the same, so I left the S-video connected which frees up the component input for something higher quality to use.

Anyway, I still used the same settings for SD channels:
Color Matrix to Custom
power saving mode=on
Picture settings
Picture mode= Custom
Advanced Iris= Auto 1
Picture= 65
Brightness= 51
Color= 51
Hue=G1
Color Temp=Cool
Sharpness=25
Noise Reduction=high
DRC=high density

Advanced Settings
all off, except gamma=low
and Edge Enhancement=medium

White Balance settings=
r-Gain=-7
g-gain=-7
b-Gain=0
r-bias=0
g-bias=0
b-bias= 0

Now that I'm using an HDMI cable for the HD channels I can use different settings for no compromise. I kept most the same except for these:
Sharpness=max
Noise Reduction=off
Detail Enhancer=low
Edge Enhancement=low

These changes really brought out extra detail. I have the SA 8300HD STB and I finally got a recording of the HDNET test patterns. Even with all these settings I still couldn't get the finest lines resolved. Here are the test pics and I circled the areas that are not sharp. I tried every setting I could to try and get them to show up clearly, but I just couldn't get it. Has anyone else gotten these fine lines to show clearly? Maybe I have the LPF turned on and it's reducing my resolution? Anyone know about this?

overall pic
close up

BTW, this isn't a huge issue. The screen has amazing sharpness. I was watching some HDNET and could see each individual hair strand in this guys beard as well as the strands in a wool sweater, so don't think the image quality is soft. It's great. I'm just wondering what things would look like if I could could resolve those test pattern lines. Maybe even more detail? I find that hard to believe, but maybe it's true?

No offense, but sharpness at MAX is not a smart move.

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
audiomixer is offline  
post #174 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
JasonWW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hou. TX
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

No offense, but sharpness at MAX is not a smart move.

Why? I see no downside. It doesn't hurt the PQ at all.
JasonWW is offline  
post #175 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
sourcery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesne View Post

I dont understand why your setup would require this functionality. If you set it up correctly, everything should work fine. If sony thought people were running audio in to run back out, they would have considered this, but 99% of people do not.

I think what's happening is that people want to use HDMI connections, but don't yet have a receiver or preamp that accepts or switches HDMI. That's the situation I have, and will continue to have until there are receivers that do HDMI 1.3.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
sourcery is offline  
post #176 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Member
 
ss9168's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just got my a2000 and my wife is pissed about how poor SD looks. I haven't played with any of the settings, and I can really use some help.


I have a directv Tivo unit (upgrading to h10 dvr next week), none HDMI, none component I believe. I do not have any hd channels until next. What settings, patterns, help can anyone offer to get SD looking good?

All of the settings so far have been for HD, but I need help with SD. If you can post something today, that would help me out. She may make me return it if I don't make t better.

Thanks
ss9168 is offline  
post #177 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 12:09 PM
Newbie
 
toxz434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the advantage of hooking up two sources for your tuner? I have my cable going into my 8300dvr and out into my a2000 via hdmi. Should I have another feed such as a component coming outa my 8300dvr also into my a2000. Im confused how does this help the pq?
toxz434 is offline  
post #178 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Member
 
buccikong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed that my Harmony remote has a bunch of additional IR commands for the A2000 that aren't included in the factory remote. For example, there are SharpnessUp/SharpnessDown, ContrastUp/ContrastDown, etc. commands that go directly to a setting instead of having to go through the regular menu. Unfortunately, I don't see a command to go directly to the "Horizontal Center". I am hoping that such a command exists so I can more easily work-around the "Horizontal Center" bug - which causes the setting to reset after switching inputs.

I changed the H_CENT value via the service menu, which worked, but the change was implemented on all inputs instead of the one I wanted. I'd rather just have an easy way to adjust the user menu if possible.

I called Harmony and they said that if an rc5 or hex file is provided, they can add it to their database. Does anybody here know how to create a command like this, or should I test my luck with Sony support?

Thanks.
buccikong is offline  
post #179 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
JasonWW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hou. TX
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9168 View Post

So I just got my a2000 and my wife is pissed about how poor SD looks. I haven't played with any of the settings, and I can really use some help.

I have a directv Tivo unit (upgrading to h10 dvr next week), none HDMI, none component I believe. I do not have any hd channels until next. What settings, patterns, help can anyone offer to get SD looking good?

All of the settings so far have been for HD, but I need help with SD. If you can post something today, that would help me out. She may make me return it if I don't make t better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxz434 View Post

What is the advantage of hooking up two sources for your tuner? I have my cable going into my 8300dvr and out into my a2000 via hdmi. Should I have another feed such as a component coming outa my 8300dvr also into my a2000. Im confused how does this help the pq?

I'm starting to think you guys did not read this thread. I just got through posting good SD settings plus some were posted earlier.
toxz434, using two different inputs means you can have different settings on each input. For the SD channels you can use whatever cable you want, just use the unique settings that help make SD look better:
Reduced Sharpness
Noise Reduction=high
DRC=high density
Edge Enhancement=medium

Then use the HDMI input for the HD channels and change those settings to:
Sharpness=max or at least fairly high
Noise Reduction=off
Detail Enhancer=low
Edge Enhancement=low

Also, using an amplifier on the coax signal can help clear up the SD channels.
JasonWW is offline  
post #180 of 3250 Old 08-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Googer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post

Why? I see no downside. It doesn't hurt the PQ at all.

Actually your own photos of HDNet's test pattern show otherwise. It may not be from the sharpness setting (decent chance it could also be from having Edge Enhancement or the Detail Enhancer setting set to anything other than Off), but the white edges on either side of the black gridlines that are over the gray background shouldn't be there.

It's difficult to know what the culprit is for not seeing the highest-resolution details - it could be the feed itself if it's downres'd as DirecTV does, or it could be the box, some of which are known to not output full resolution properly, or it could be the TV's LPF issue. Since it could be any of these issues without you really having any way of knowing which one it is (or possibly even others I haven't even thought of yet ), this is why for tests such as this I'd only really consider a test pattern from a 0dedicated HD pattern generator (or at least an HTPC) valid.
Googer is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off