Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 3250 Old 02-13-2007, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

That's because it's done thru the Service Menu so isn't documented in the User Manual.

At least one user previously reported getting a USB memory stick sent to him which he plugged in to load the LPF fix (a pretty simple Service Menu change), and, to load it I don't think he had to go into the Service Menus. So, Sony must have a provision to put something equivalent to an "auto-run" file on it to make it self load.

The ability to save user data to a USB media is in the Service DTV menu, QM submenu, item 16 WUSR (Press '3' to write). The read user data from USB media is item 17 RUSR (Press '3' to read).

anyone save their settings?...if so, can you please post the file for sharing...thx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3250 Old 02-13-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBuzzard View Post

Sounds like you know a lot more about these sets than the average owner (like me )

As the title asks, were you able to adjust out the overscan using physical adjustments, leaving the chips pixel matched? If so, would you mind sharing?

I have also wondered if there was any way to tweak the focus....HD over the HDMI inputs looks incredible but the image off my PC (through HDMI) is quite "soft".

Thanks!

no, the overscan can't be changed and also keeping a 1:1 pixel mapping. The overscan on the sony is mechanical, it really only outputs around 1860x1024. However, from my experience, there really is no pq degradation when you program the overscan settings to 20,20 instead of 50,50. As I mentioned before, you can program each of the 3 Display Area settings separately, and also each hdtv mode(1080p,1080i,720p,480p,480i) has it's own settings. I still have to find a way to adjust the black bars in 480 modes, so I can blow up the picture without cutting of the sides.
post #2073 of 3250 Old 02-13-2007, 10:43 PM

if i enable the powersaving mode on my 60 a2000 set will it extend the life of the main bulb in the set?

Also i just bought this set about a week before the superbowl, where is the build date on this set? Also i feed my xbox360 straight to the set. I use a sony 7.1 reciever to feed my HD Dish sat feed, an my LG upcaling DVD player. Is there any recommendations on what should be hooked up were on this set?

"A Hero Need Not Speak. When He Is Gone, The World Will Speak For Him."
post #2074 of 3250 Old 02-14-2007, 07:39 AM

Question: How can you find the build date on the set?

thanks.
post #2075 of 3250 Old 02-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
It's on a sticker on the back of the set. Near the Serial and Model # IIRC. I'm not at home, so I can't check for sure.
Dug
post #2076 of 3250 Old 02-14-2007, 10:30 AM

Is there a way to confirm the resolution (480p, 720P, 1080i, 1080p) that's being displayed currently on this TV?
post #2077 of 3250 Old 02-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

It is always displaying 1080p. Everything is upconverted to that. If you want to see the input resolution, there is an info button that will tell you the input and resolution....
post #2078 of 3250 Old 02-14-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorX View Post

Thanks, but that's pretty old news. Check post #2 on page one for the fix.

Thanks Raptor. I'm new to all this. I printed that out and tried it. I was still unable to access the service menu. I am going to try it again. One question, is there any procedure to follow when you exit out of the service menu? Thanks.

post #2079 of 3250 Old 02-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle2th View Post

Thanks Raptor. I'm new to all this. I printed that out and tried it. I was still unable to access the service menu. I am going to try it again. One question, is there any procedure to follow when you exit out of the service menu? Thanks.

Your tv has to be in Standby first, this is the state it's in just after you shut it off and before it fully powers down. So, with the tv first on and warmed up:
Power Off, then,
Press Display, then '5', then 'Vol +', then Power - to turn it back on.
When it comes back up you will see menu text in the upper left corner
There are several sets of menus, Service DTV, Panel, WEM, Info and you switch between them using the 'Jump' key.
Within each there are multiple groups of settings. You can move from one group to the other by pressing the '2' or '5' key.
Within each group there are multiple settings. You can move from one setting to another by pressing the '1' or '4' key.
You can change the values of the settings by pressing the '3' or '6' key
If you change a setting, it will only be saved if you then press the 'Mute' then 'Enter' keys.
To exit the service menus, turn the tv off.

Changing service menu settings is at your own risk.
post #2080 of 3250 Old 02-14-2007, 02:44 PM

Hey Guys. Long time reader, virgin poster. (2nd not counting the same post I put in the owner's thread)I am having issues with the audio between my receiver/cable box/TV and was wondering if one of you could help.

I have the KDS-50A2K and Comcast cable with the DVR and HD.(not sure what model) I also have a Sony Receiver, prob. 5 years old. So my issue is that when I have both the volume for the receiver and the TV volume on at the same time, they dont sync up together right. They produce a echo or "concert hall" type effect.

Cable to TV has component for video and composite for audio. Audio also goes from the cable box to the receiver via Optical for 5.1. This was not an issue with my previous TV. I had the same set up(minus) the Component video for HD, but the Audio is set up exactly the same....

Anyone else have this annoying issue?
post #2081 of 3250 Old 02-14-2007, 09:36 PM

Hi all, quick question. If I make the screen completely blank and dark (in other words have no signal going to it), is it normal for it to be more of a dark navy blue rather than completely black? I ask because I don't seem to be getting as good black levels as people claim it gets. It's as though too much light is still shining through from behind the screen. Even if I turn the brightness all the way down it doesn't make a difference. This is the 55A2000.
post #2082 of 3250 Old 02-14-2007, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslug View Post

Hi all, quick question. If I make the screen completely blank and dark (in other words have no signal going to it), is it normal for it to be more of a dark navy blue rather than completely black? I ask because I don't seem to be getting as good black levels as people claim it gets. It's as though too much light is still shining through from behind the screen. Even if I turn the brightness all the way down it doesn't make a difference. This is the 55A2000.

I noticed this myself, it only seems to be bluish when no signal is getting to the set, black parts of BW movies, for example look truly black and not this deep bluish black.

Steve S.
post #2083 of 3250 Old 02-15-2007, 07:53 AM

I've seen this question asked once or twice on this board, but never a response: In the Moto 6412 setup menu, there is an option for "HDMI Colorspace", and you can select either "RGB" or "YCC 4:4:4". Any idea which produces more natural colors?

On a thread someone posted that in order to adjust the tint of a picture over HDMI, it needs to send YPbPr colorspace info not RGB, and "YPbPr is YCC 4:4:4 in Motorola's parlance".

I think I prefer the look of YCC over the RGB, but RGB is the default, and I'm not sure if my decision was swayed by the content I was using as a judgment. I'm connecting to a Sony 50A2000 SXRD via HDMI, btw.

Anyone have any insight about this?

Defending Lazy.
post #2084 of 3250 Old 02-15-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Kraster if Googer still around he can help... Have You done other Sony's Yet Googer?
post #2085 of 3250 Old 02-15-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post

Kraster if Googer still around he can help... Have You done other Sony's Yet Googer?

I may have found the answer to my own question.

It seems that YPbPr, or YCbCr (the digital equivalent) is the colorspace that MPEG uses to code color information during compression. When you run video through an MPEG decoder, it decodes the YCbCr color information and converts it into RGB values ready for display.

The HDMI standard supports passing color information as either YCbCr or RGB, so selecting either from the STB menu will result in a valid signal being passed to the TV. However, it becomes a question of who you want doing the decoding of MPEG color information!.

For HD content, the difference in PQ will be minimal. But for SD content, having the STB pass thru the color information as YCbCr and letting the TV decode it into RGB will result in a smoother image with less macroblocking (MB). I believe I noticed this last night when toggling between the two while watching a movie from a station in the Comcast SD digital tier. I want to try to confirm this tonight!

Defending Lazy.
post #2086 of 3250 Old 02-16-2007, 08:23 PM

hey guys this is my first post on this thread. im looking to hook up my pc to my new kds-60a2000 and im not sure what the consensus on the best method. i found the method on post #1859 while cnet said to use a dvi to hdmi adaptor. im not too familiar with all the port names and all that, and i dont know wether my desktop even has all the right ones to do each method. so if someone more advance could point me in the right direction with a post number or article or anything that would be greatly appreciated.
post #2087 of 3250 Old 02-17-2007, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I use a DVI to hdmi adapter.. the TV has two of them and if you have a DECENT video card yours pc does also, but it takes some tweeking to get it to work right due to overscan of the sony which is normal with all RPTVs, so if you don't have any background to get this working right.. just use the VGA PC input on your TV to the pc.. makes it easy

My Home Theater
post #2088 of 3250 Old 02-17-2007, 01:18 PM

my video card is an old ati 9700 pro, does it have the right thing for it?

and what is rs232...
post #2089 of 3250 Old 02-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhAtIsMoUsE View Post

my video card is an old ati 9700 pro, does it have the right thing for it?

and what is rs232...

Yes, a 9700 pro has a DVI port. You will need a DVI to HDMI cable. You can get one at a fair price from Monoprice. Once you have that hooked up, make sure your ATI drivers are up-to-date by visiting the ATI web site and downloading the latest Catalyst. Once that's installed, by right mousing on your desktop you can bring up the Catalyst Control Center and set your card up to output to the A2000 over the DVI connection - the card will recognize the Sony and list the allowable resolutions and refresh rates.
post #2090 of 3250 Old 02-18-2007, 12:41 AM

post #2091 of 3250 Old 02-18-2007, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhAtIsMoUsE View Post

which of these do i need? :

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=
or this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

thanks for the help.

If 6' is all you need, either will probably work fine. 28 gauge is pretty fine cable, I'd probably go with the 24 gauge, since with the S&H (probably about $5 for either) you are talking either $10 or $20 total cost vs. getting a Monster Cable from a local store which is no better for $100, either is a bargin.
post #2092 of 3250 Old 02-19-2007, 12:08 AM

When i watch a DVD in 720p resolution on my zenith DVD player, it causes my Sony 60 A2000 to have the picture shifted to the left about 1 or 2 inchs. This causes a 1 inch black bar on the right side of my screen. I can adjust the picture over 2 inchs to the right to correct this, and then watch a movie and it will be fine. But when i eject the DVD and insert another DVD in the black bar is back, but the TV menu setting still shows that the pic was shifted over!! Is this just something that i will have to just over look if i use 720p as my DVD player's native resolution? I can change all 3 color settings and the problem still won't go away. Also if switch color setting during a movie the black bar comes back right then instead of after i insert a new DVD.

"A Hero Need Not Speak. When He Is Gone, The World Will Speak For Him."
post #2093 of 3250 Old 02-19-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan19 View Post

When i watch a DVD in 720p resolution on my zenith DVD player, it causes my Sony 60 A2000 to have the picture shifted to the left about 1 or 2 inchs. This causes a 1 inch black bar on the right side of my screen. I can adjust the picture over 2 inchs to the right to correct this, and then watch a movie and it will be fine. But when i eject the DVD and insert another DVD in the black bar is back, but the TV menu setting still shows that the pic was shifted over!! Is this just something that i will have to just over look if i use 720p as my DVD player's native resolution? I can change all 3 color settings and the problem still won't go away. Also if switch color setting during a movie the black bar comes back right then instead of after i insert a new DVD.

Just curious...does your DVD player have a 1080i output setting?

The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.
post #2094 of 3250 Old 02-19-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslug View Post

Mine tends to go very greenish black with no signal going to the set. (this does not concern me at all). With a black signal going to it it looks very dark navy blue, with subtle magenta haze top and bottom. SLOWLY gets better after an hour or so of on time. This does bother me a lot. No amount of fiddling with settings helps this at all. What does a black screen look like in a dark room on your sets? I really don't know if I expect too much or if these are typical issues with the SXRD. Problem is you can't really see it when the room has some daylight coming in the windows. It is noticeable at night though, and irks me a lot. There don't seem to be many complaints on here about weird blacks...is it my eyes are more critical than most, or my set is just plain bad? One repair guy flat refused to try to fix these issues because of being burned too many times on similar problems on the XBR1. I have not yet called the servicer for HH Gregg about this issue. People that have tried OB replacements here, and on the XBR1 forums don't seem to having much luck with getting color uniformity issues fixed so far. If you don't watch tv in a really dark room, the A-2000 still has a really sweet picture for the most part though.
post #2095 of 3250 Old 02-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Mine tends to go very greenish black with no signal going to the set. (this does not concern me at all). With a black signal going to it it looks very dark navy blue, with subtle magenta haze top and bottom. SLOWLY gets better after an hour or so of on time. This does bother me a lot. No amount of fiddling with settings helps this at all. What does a black screen look like in a dark room on your sets? I really don't know if I expect too much or if these are typical issues with the SXRD. Problem is you can't really see it when the room has some daylight coming in the windows. It is noticeable at night though, and irks me a lot. There don't seem to be many complaints on here about weird blacks...is it my eyes are more critical than most, or my set is just plain bad? One repair guy flat refused to try to fix these issues because of being burned too many times on similar problems on the XBR1. I have not yet called the servicer for HH Gregg about this issue. People that have tried OB replacements here, and on the XBR1 forums don't seem to having much luck with getting color uniformity issues fixed so far. If you don't watch tv in a really dark room, the A-2000 still has a really sweet picture for the most part though.

Have you tried turning the Color to 0 when it has that dark blue? I see the blue go away and just turn to black. So I think it's a source/color decoding problem.
post #2096 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 02:40 AM

Thanks JimmyV....
I was able to get in using the method you spoke about. I found the menu lingo very confusing. Not a clue what I was looking at.
I ended up changing the value from "5" to a "7" I did not see a difference but at least now I know its done. I printed out the post from the first page and was interested in the convergence changes but did not see how to access a crosshair pattern. I am curious as to how this is accomplished. Thanks again for the help. One last question is how all you folks have learned how to do this stuff? Amazing.....
post #2097 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle2th View Post

Thanks JimmyV....
I was able to get in using the method you spoke about. I found the menu lingo very confusing. Not a clue what I was looking at.
I ended up changing the value from "5" to a "7" I did not see a difference but at least now I know its done. I printed out the post from the first page and was interested in the convergence changes but did not see how to access a crosshair pattern. I am curious as to how this is accomplished. Thanks again for the help. One last question is how all you folks have learned how to do this stuff? Amazing.....

There are two places I know of you can set the A2000 to display its internally generated patterns. I'm not sure which setting will get you the one you want as I usually use test patterns from my computer, but, I'm sure it's in there.

1) In the Service DTV Menu, QM sub-menu, items 1 & 2 PATN and GPTN

2) In the Panel Menu, Test_Pat sub-menu
a) Set Item 0 IPT_ENB to 1, then use Item 1 IPT_RGB select the color, or,
b) Set Item 2 PAT_ENB to 1, then use Item 3 PAT_RGB select the color
Use Item 4 MODE to switch between patterns
Use Item 6 REVERSE to swap the forground/background of the patterns

Don't forget to set these back to their original values when you are done or all you'll see are test patterns.
post #2098 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwa999 View Post

Have you tried turning the Color to 0 when it has that dark blue? I see the blue go away and just turn to black. So I think it's a source/color decoding problem.

Yes I tried that and many other things..lol. Turning color to zero does not help the blue and magenta tint in blacks at all. Good idea though.
post #2099 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

There are two places I know of you can set the A2000 to display its internally generated patterns. I'm not sure which setting will get you the one you want as I usually use test patterns from my computer, but, I'm sure it's in there.

1) In the Service DTV Menu, QM sub-menu, items 1 & 2 PATN and GPTN

2) In the Panel Menu, Test_Pat sub-menu
a) Set Item 0 IPT_ENB to 1, then use Item 1 IPT_RGB select the color, or,
b) Set Item 2 PAT_ENB to 1, then use Item 3 PAT_RGB select the color
Use Item 4 MODE to switch between patterns
Use Item 6 REVERSE to swap the forground/background of the patterns

Don't forget to set these back to their original values when you are done or all you'll see are test patterns.

Also, the THX calibrator found on a THX DVD (Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Cars, Incredibles, etc) has a decent crosshatch pattern for adjusting convergence.

The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.
post #2100 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorX View Post

Also, the THX calibrator found on a THX DVD (Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Cars, Incredibles, etc) has a decent crosshatch pattern for adjusting convergence.

If you have a Blu-ray player, try the THX Optimizer on the "Terminator 2: Judgement Day" Blu-Ray disc. It's in high definition.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page