Owners ONLY thread - >>>KDS-A2000's<<< - Settings/Tweaks - Page 71 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2101 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any Sony (not 3rd party) Blu-ray disc has a list of 1080p test patterns as well. Just type in "7669" enter when in the main disc menu, and you can access them. Some examples of Sony Blu-ray discs include: Open Season, Click, and Underworld: Evolution.

My A2000 Settings for the S3 TiVo, PS3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii.
My A2000 Lag Test & A2000 Lag Timing Estimations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Any test patterns available via hd dvd?
post #2103 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
There is an avia disk coming out soon. or you can use the test patterns at www.w6rz.net. I think there is a HD-DVD ISO, but I'm not sure. If not, there is a howto in the HD-DVD forum on burning HD-DVDs using DVD+rDL discs.
Dug
post #2104 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bester View Post

There is an avia disk coming out soon. or you can use the test patterns at www.w6rz.net. I think there is a HD-DVD ISO, but I'm not sure. If not, there is a howto in the HD-DVD forum on burning HD-DVDs using DVD+rDL discs.
Dug

I meant a special feature on a currnet hd dvd release?
post #2105 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dug

Don't even need dual-layer. The www.w6rz.net page has a
New! HD-DVD Test Pattern Disc
HD-DVD compatible ready to burn on DVD-R or DVD+R .iso file (118,058,063 bytes)

link at the top of the page.
post #2106 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by goetzilo View Post

my issue is that when I have both the volume for the receiver and the TV volume on at the same time, they dont sync up together right. They produce a echo or "concert hall" type effect.

In messing around with my HD players, I also noticed that there is a time difference depending on if the TV speakers or the reciever is used for audio. If you're using the reciever you might as well shut off the TV speakers. I use a Harmony 880 remote and have it programmed so that I can use either the tv speakers or the receiver.
post #2107 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 01:23 PM

Anyone have a recommended pause amount to program into power on macro's? It seems as though the TV gets the power on signal from the remote and then it goes into "sleep" mode or something and not able to take any other commands. I would like to have the TV come on and then switch to the proper vid input.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated. The remote I have is the MX-700 if this is of any help.

Mark
post #2108 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 01:41 PM

I received my 55A2K from ******* on 1-29-07. I have had no problems whatsoever! Out of the box the TV had a very nice, but slightly exagerated picture (wow factor pumped up too high). I have read this thread from start to finish and appreciate the great info! I feel for those who have issues with their TVs and hope you reach resolution.....keep trying there are units absent of color uniformity, convergence, tilt, etc. issues. I have used alot of the recommended settings here to derive my own. This past weekend I went into the service menu and made the gama switch posted by GOOGER (I think it was GOOGER?) and it made a really enjoyable difference. I keep having friends over to check out the set and they are all BLOWN away. A couple of which have been DLP owners! My next purchase will be the PS3, and I can't wait to see what it can do. Thanks again everyone for all the great posts you have made an awesome TV even better!
post #2109 of 3250 Old 02-20-2007, 07:27 PM

quick question. can someone go into service mode for me and check one of there HDMI inputs to see what the YCR setting is under

WEM SERVICE
057 pip_user_gm.spf
000 YCR

one of my hdmi inputs was set to 0 and the other one was set to 23. 23 was also the setting for all of my inputs but that one hdmi. you just have to hit the 1 or 4 button to move from UGAM. i have a strange feeling i might have changed it by accident but i just wanna make sure that someone else's is set to 23. Thanks
post #2110 of 3250 Old 02-21-2007, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedabomb View Post

quick question. can someone go into service mode for me and check one of there HDMI inputs to see what the YCR setting is under

WEM SERVICE
057 pip_user_gm.spf
000 YCR

one of my hdmi inputs was set to 0 and the other one was set to 23. 23 was also the setting for all of my inputs but that one hdmi. you just have to hit the 1 or 4 button to move from UGAM. i have a strange feeling i might have changed it by accident but i just wanna make sure that someone else's is set to 23. Thanks

Mine says 23
post #2111 of 3250 Old 02-21-2007, 03:47 AM

thanks a lot. i think i screwed that one up then.
post #2112 of 3250 Old 02-21-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:

thanks a lot. i think i screwed that one up then.

I did the same thing when I went to change the gama settings......ended up unplugging the TV

I also wanted to mention something else I tried this past weekend: I live in an apartment and receive cable service from Charter Communications. I had seen someone mention of a signal amplifier from Radio Shack and thought what the heck ($30 and 90 day return policy)...picked one up and gave it a try. I realize Dave Hancock said not to put it in front of the DVR, but I tried it, and the results were good. Don't get me wrong it is not a huge improvement, but it definitely improved BOTH SD and HD. It was hard to A/B between using the amp and w/o because of switching the cable, but I did see an improvement. SD more than HD, but HD did seem to p/u some fine detail

Oh, mine is October build and LPF was set to 6 from factory
post #2113 of 3250 Old 02-21-2007, 03:40 PM

yeah i thought about trying one of those but i heard if the cable company finds out they will come and remove it. any way to factory reset the tv to default settings?
post #2114 of 3250 Old 02-21-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah i thought about trying one of those but i heard if the cable company finds out they will come and remove it. any way to factory reset the tv to default settings?

You can reset the user menu settings but you can NOT reset the service menu settings if they have been committed (using Mute + Enter). If you are fiddling about in the service menu and have NOT YET committed any changes (using Mute + Enter) you can recover the original settings using 0 + Enter. Or, turn the TV off and plug the plug. However, this will NOT reset to original factory settings. So, be sure to make a note (or take photos) of any settings you change so you can revert to them if necessary.

Edit: I just found the following in the service manuals for the XBR1, A2000 and XBR3 that were posted earlier....

1. Service Adjustment mode.
2. Press 8 then [ENTER]
3. Wait until appearing Initial Setup display.
4. Disconnect AC plug and connect again to change factory reset condition completely.

Its badly written but it looks like there may be a way after all!
post #2115 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 04:00 AM

question is who is gonna be the guinea pig and try it out
post #2116 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 05:14 AM

Not sure how they would find out I have it? It's inside my apartment. I guess if they need to come out I will disconnect it? Had not heard anything about them being considered contraband by the cable company
post #2117 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 05:16 AM

I tried to check the lamp timer using the procedure outlined in the service manual last night and it does not work That's kinda scary.....it's Sony's own manual!
post #2118 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeblez View Post

I tried to check the lamp timer using the procedure outlined in the service manual last night and it does not work That's kinda scary.....it's Sony's own manual!

I think we were discussing this in the Owners thread - this is the Tweeks & Settings thread. Anyway, that's why I asked if you'd actually tried the approach from the manual. The lamp timer can be found (and reset) in the PANEL/TIMER menu. Item 0 is the time since it was last reset, Item 1 lets you reset it, item 2 is the total operating time on the A2000.
post #2119 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

I think we were discussing this in the Owners thread - this is the Tweeks & Settings thread. Anyway, that's why I asked if you'd actually tried the approach from the manual. The lamp timer can be found (and reset) in the PANEL/TIMER menu. Item 0 is the time since it was last reset, Item 1 lets you reset it, item 2 is the total operating time on the A2000.

Jimmy,

I am aware that we were discussing this in the other thread.....posted a reply over there. This was just a general statement to those who might have seen the service manual and been curious, as I was. Just trying to save someone from wasting there time.
post #2120 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

For those of you that have been in the service menu, made changes, committed them (Mute + Enter) but want to reset to factory settings, it looks like there may be a way to do this...

I found the following in the service manuals for the XBR1, A2000 and XBR2 that I posted earlier....

1. Service Adjustment mode.
2. Press 8 then [ENTER]
3. Wait until appearing Initial Setup display.
4. Disconnect AC plug and connect again to change factory reset condition completely.

Its badly written but it looks like there may be a way after all!

Note: I have NOT tried this and I have no plans to do so.
post #2121 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

yeah i thought about trying one of those but i heard if the cable company finds out they will come and remove it.

One thing to remember, different cable systems (meaning Comcast in Maryland vs Comcast in Atlanta) may have different policies on many subjects. However, if you have cable service out to resolve a problem, they will likely remove "non-standard" equipment and, if an amp (or anything) is needed they will put it in.

My point on using these amps, is:
1) If you have a problem, let cable take care of it (usually at no charge).
2) Non-standard equipment can introduce unintended problems - like inability to talk back to head end (loss of "on demand" etc.), or signal ingress (outside signals getting into the cable system).
3) At times, there can be too much signal level.

On the other hand, if you have a hard time scheduling a service call and are willing to try an amp on your own there is not much loss (just make sure that your connections are tight).

Dave Hancock
post #2122 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 04:23 PM

What is considered "unacceptable" convergence for these sets?

I feel my set is a little too soft.

I've just checked the convergence using the built in crosshatch, I've tried all increments, for the horz.. but of course when I get the top or middle matched.. the bottom is off, and vice versa.

As well, one side matches up, while the other side will show more error.

I's bad enough, that currently, I can see the mis-convergence from 8 feet away on the crosshatch. (50 inch)

Is this considered "normal" for the A2000? , accept this as is.. or is this an example of a "bad" set (Jan07)

Personaly, I think if I can see the red fringing on a crosshatch pattern at 8+ feet.. it can't be considered normal, can it???
post #2123 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 04:58 PM

Hey guys,

I have been reading the forums tryin to figure out the best settings for the new KDS-A2000 my family just got. I gave up after 8 pages worth, i cant get threw all 71 pages. I did find a few things though that I had some questions about. The service menu settings, what is that all about? What does that adjust? Also, I see some of you have been debating over the colour temperature, neutral or warm2. I know Cnet said warm2, but Cnet also said neutral usually gets you closest to 65k. I currently have the TV on Warm2, with some adjustments to the white balance. It looks nice, but I havent fiddled around with it much. Also, the enhancments in the advanced settings menu, do you recommend them to be on low or off? I am looking to hear from ppl who have owned the tv for a few months now and have got it calibrated. I dont know if I want to have a guy come in to do it, and do u guys think an ISF guy is nessesary? Thanks for all ur help.

Adam
post #2124 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 05:37 PM

anybody brave enough to try the factory reset yet? im a wuss
post #2125 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam144 View Post

Hey guys,

I have been reading the forums tryin to figure out the best settings for the new KDS-A2000 my family just got. I gave up after 8 pages worth, i cant get threw all 71 pages. I did find a few things though that I had some questions about. The service menu settings, what is that all about? What does that adjust? Also, I see some of you have been debating over the colour temperature, neutral or warm2. I know Cnet said warm2, but Cnet also said neutral usually gets you closest to 65k. I currently have the TV on Warm2, with some adjustments to the white balance. It looks nice, but I havent fiddled around with it much. Also, the enhancments in the advanced settings menu, do you recommend them to be on low or off? I am looking to hear from ppl who have owned the tv for a few months now and have got it calibrated. I dont know if I want to have a guy come in to do it, and do u guys think an ISF guy is nessesary? Thanks for all ur help.

Adam

It's best to stay away from the service menu until you are comfortable with the possibility of screwing up your new set. I am still too scared to mess with it. You can download JimmyV(I think) .xls file that has all of the original settings.

ISF is worth it if you have the $$ to spend. I would, but I just spent money on a set, and my wife won't allow the ISF yet....
Dug
post #2126 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:

It's best to stay away from the service menu until you are comfortable with the possibility of screwing up your new set. I am still too scared to mess with it. You can download JimmyV(I think) .xls file that has all of the original settings.

ISF is worth it if you have the $$ to spend. I would, but I just spent money on a set, and my wife won't allow the ISF yet....
Dug

There's really no danger in going into the service menu if you don't commit your changes (which is done by hitting mute - enter). So, you can go in and learn how to find stuff and navigate without hurting anything. You can always just bail out by turning the TV off.

The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.
post #2127 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidguy_1 View Post

What is considered "unacceptable" convergence for these sets?

I feel my set is a little too soft.

I've just checked the convergence using the built in crosshatch, I've tried all increments, for the horz.. but of course when I get the top or middle matched.. the bottom is off, and vice versa.

As well, one side matches up, while the other side will show more error.

I's bad enough, that currently, I can see the mis-convergence from 8 feet away on the crosshatch. (50 inch)

Is this considered "normal" for the A2000? , accept this as is.. or is this an example of a "bad" set (Jan07)

Personaly, I think if I can see the red fringing on a crosshatch pattern at 8+ feet.. it can't be considered normal, can it???

I will save Dave Hancock the trouble of typing all this in again. I had a similar beef (I can see the misconvergence from 8' away, especially on a 2.35:1 movie as the problem is worse near the top at bottom) and this was the extent of my questions and his answers:

RaptorX: My 50" SXRD has a convergence problem. From what I can tell, they all do, to some degree. Adjusting convergence in the service menu doesn't help, as it varies across the screen and you can only move one pixel at a time (you need like half-pixel increments and a way to alter 'zones', or something).

Dave: As other's have pointed out, it is pretty normal (actually, your's might be a little better than most).

RaptorX: So, do I live with what I have? Crosshatch patterns have red edges on the left and top and green edges on the bottom. A one-pixel black and white pattern looks pink. If you look close (2-3 feet) during credits, you can see the colored halos.

I checked a floor model in a store and it was similar.

Dave: Yes, if you want the features that the SXRD delivers (good blacks, smooth image, no rainbow effect) then, sorry, you will have to live with it.

RaptorX: Forget the halos for a minute, since I can't see them from my viewing distance. However, if I have .5 pixel misconvergence, isn't my clarity suffering?

Dave: No, the human eye can't see detail in color - so a slight misconvergence cannot be seen from any reasonable distance. BTW, while HD broadcast luminance information is 1080 x 1920 pixels, the color information is only 540 x 960 pixels (for 720p it's 360 x 640). So, in the real scheme of things a 1 or even 2 pixel misconvergence is "in the noise".

RaptorX: Why drop over $2000 for a 1080 TV if you really can't notice .5 or 1-pixel misconvergence?

Dave: Historically, $2K is not that much. Absolute pefection in HD has never really been achieved - even at over $10K!

RaptorX: I bet a perfectly aligned 720P has a better picture than a misaligned 1080P.

Dave: OK, but the pixels on a 720 set are 50% bigger than on 1080 - so with the same amount (measured in mm) of miscovergence would be a lot less on 720. As Waldorfsalad suggests, going to a single chip display (DLP) is the only way to get perfect convergence (even LCDs & Plasma's have misconvergence - because the 3 colors are physically separated from each other), but then you have the other issues (RBE, potential viewer fatigue, etc.). NOTHING IS PERFECT, it is a matter of trading off pros and cons.

RaptorX: Here are the files that I posted a while back. My only response was 'yes this is misconvergence, call Sony'.

Dave: Well sorry, that response was wrong - it is well within manufacturing tolerances.

post #2128 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 07:19 PM

I have a Sony KDS 50 A2000 TV, and a Phillips upconverting DVD player. I have the DVD player hooked up via HDMI. When I set it on 720p or 1080i and watch a 1.85:1 movie, I get a small, uneven letterbox on the top of the screen. When I set it on 480p, it looks fine. I run my Xbox 360 on 1080i via component inputs, and have no problems at all. Is this just a result of upconversion, or a crappy dvd player? I am sure it isn't a problem with the TV. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.
post #2129 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes13 View Post

I have a Sony KDS 50 A2000 TV, and a Phillips upconverting DVD player. I have the DVD player hooked up via HDMI. When I set it on 720p or 1080i and watch a 1.85:1 movie, I get a small, uneven letterbox on the top of the screen. When I set it on 480p, it looks fine. I run my Xbox 360 on 1080i via component inputs, and have no problems at all. Is this just a result of upconversion, or a crappy dvd player? I am sure it isn't a problem with the TV. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

"I get a small, uneven letterbox on the top of the screen"

Only at the top?

post #2130 of 3250 Old 02-22-2007, 07:36 PM

Yeah, on the top there is about 3/4 of an inch of a letterbox on the left side, and none on the right. On the bottom there is a small, even letterbox.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page