AVS Forum banner

Samsung HLS-5679W LED DLP Owners Thread (*NO PRICE TALK)

612K views 3K replies 489 participants last post by  p1mrx 
#1 ·
Samsung 2006 HLS5679W (1080p) Series Owner's thread

FAQs:

1. LED light engine replaces the UHP bulb and color wheel.

2. Only available in 56".

3. RBE is assumed to be eliminated.

4. Stated power consumption 230W / Measured consumption ~180W ( Details ).

5. There is very little fan noise - it is only detectable from the side air vent at close range.

6. Overscan will remain off. ( How To )

7. Starter Settings

8. *** How to fix the power cycling issue
Samsung Links:
Product Page
PDF Spec Sheet
Quick Guide (ver. 1.0)
User Manual (ver. 1.0)
SamsungParts.com
Service Manual order form
Other Links:
Current and Future Samsung LED Owners Thread
Samsung HLS xx87/xx88 Tech Links
Just what's inside a Sammy 'S' 1080 DLP?
Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models
Samsung 71" 1080P DLP HL-S7178W (owners)

** Let me know if there is additional information that should be posted here. **

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwald /forum/post/0

Hmmm, my couch cushion is only 18" high off the floor so you must have a very high couch to be sitting 2 foot off the floor. Assuming it is really my couch height (and almost every others), a 4' high stand will have you looking up at the TV most probably and you might have a small light falloff due to the sensitive vertical angle. It might be a good idea to draw a scale side view drawing on a piece of paper and measure the angle from where your eyes will be to the middle of the screen to see how far off the vertical axis you will be. It should be pretty easy to come up with that drawing once you know the height of your eyes above the couch seat.

Great! Thanks for the idea, I'll do as suggested.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eido /forum/post/0

Klac,

Sitting 10' back, on a couch that is 2' high, do you think a 4' stand is too high for this television?

Why 4ft? Well, my wife and I made an agreement that I can pick out our new TV only if she can pick out the furniture it will be resting on.

Well, while I'm waiting for the release of this television she goes out and gets this "designer" furniture (damn wives!).

I have to say that its a great piece of furniture as it is large enough to house all my components, dvd's and even has space for all my game controllers and it looks great but it is friggen 4 ft high.

I am hoping this TV will still work but if it doesn't, I guess I'll move along to the plasma threads

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Dang, that's high! Well I did some quick measurements and a test and I think you'll be fine. At 37" your stand is 19" taller than mine and my couch is 19" high. So I sat on the floor at 10' and didn't notice a difference in brightness. If you notice a difference you could always add a slight tilt to the TV. In the 7178 thread there's a pic of one.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by klac /forum/post/0

I'd be glad to, except I'm not sure what to compare it to. My inexpert and subjective opinion would be that they are excellent. This is my first HDTV and have only had CRT's prior. If you would find value in a comparison with an 8 yr old CRT I can compare a DVD like The Matrix? by viewing them at the same time.

Yes, please compare shadow detail to the CRT.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm /forum/post/0

I see this thread is acceptable. It made a HUGE difference that the originator of this thread owns the set. We couldn't have possibly gained anything from a thread started by a non owner.

Admit it...the real source of your sour grapes is TV envy. klac's got it, you want it.

Hey, me too. Especially since it sounds like the viewing angle will be workable for me! I just have to find a store with one now...!

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by klac /forum/post/0

Dang, that's high! Well I did some quick measurements and a test and I think you'll be fine. At 37" your stand is 19" taller than mine and my couch is 19" high. So I sat on the floor at 10' and didn't notice a difference in brightness. If you notice a difference you could always add a slight tilt to the TV. In the 7178 thread there's a pic of one.

Thanks again

#34 ·
These pics look great and the 5679 is very tempting but alas, I will be sitting 12-13 feet away and afraid 56" doesn't look big enough from that distance. In stores, 61" TV's from that distance look great and I think 56" at 10 feet looks great. Of the new owners here, how far away are you from the TV when watching?

#35 ·
Just got mine in yesterday. I don't see any issues with it being dim at all. In fact I turned the contrast and brightness down to 50, sharpness to 0, and DNIe / DNR to off. Everything else is default at the moment. PQ is excellent as far as I can tell but I'm no trained eye. I've love some suggestions on any settings I should try.

I hooked up the UHF antenna last night (first time I've ever done this). I was amazed to see I got every channel in my area w/o an outdoor model antenna. I then compared the Colts/Rams football game between TWC HD channel and my local OTA HD station. The difference is AMAZING... OTA was far better. DVD's looked pretty good too. I was a little under whelmed with NTSC signals but it's better than anything else I've seen on digital sets. I'm still spoiled on my old tried and true Pioneer Elite NTSC set for NTSC quality.

Here are some crappy pics; my only camera right now is a sub function of my camcorder so any noise you see is the camera... it's terrible sorry.

Here's the link to start with...

http://www.cltonline.com/images/HL-S5679W/DSC00015.JPG

change the number on the end to see all the pics I'm too lazy to name them...

15-17 is Baseball on ESPN HD

18 is Sci-Fi in SD

19-20 is Tennis on a blue court on INHD

21 is another Baseball on ESPN HD still shot

22 is another Tennis on a blue court on INHD

23-26 is some SD Comedy Central shots

27-34 various HD channels (the pics really do not do this any justice what-so-ever sorry)

35-47 is various dvd shots, really bad shots though lol

Sorry my pics are basically useless but I fogured I'd share them anyways.

-jrdnyquist

#36 ·
One question I have right off the bat is about the TV Guide Feature. I set it up last night for my cable box and OTA. The Docs say that the menu "downloads" data for the guide daily but how? My cable box uses an HDMI connection. Do I have to plug in the cable box with coax to get the guide data or something? How does the data come down for the OTA channels?

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg2k /forum/post/0

Admit it...the real source of your sour grapes is TV envy. klac's got it, you want it.

Hey, me too. Especially since it sounds like the viewing angle will be workable for me! I just have to find a store with one now...!

I'm not sure I'm envious yet or not. We'll have to see how this technology pans out. If it eliminates rainbows, and proves to be a reliable technology, then I migthbe very envious, but not until they come in 61" or more

#39 ·

Quote:

These pics look great and the 5679 is very tempting but alas, I will be sitting 12-13 feet away and afraid 56" doesn't look big enough from that distance. In stores, 61" TV's from that distance look great and I think 56" at 10 feet looks great. Of the new owners here, how far away are you from the TV when watching?

11.5 feet here, looks absolutely stunning to me with 720p and 1080i signals. I wish I was a few more feet back though it would prob remove the most of noise I see in SD signals. I see noise in all SD signals on digital sets but I must say it's not as bad on this set as any other digital I've seen.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdnyquist /forum/post/0

One question I have right off the bat is about the TV Guide Feature. I set it up last night for my cable box and OTA. The Docs say that the menu "downloads" data for the guide daily but how? My cable box uses an HDMI connection. Do I have to plug in the cable box with coax to get the guide data or something? How does the data come down for the OTA channels?

I had the 6188 for a short while and I used my outdoor antenna for OTA HD. After set-up (including your zip-code) your set will take a certain amount of time to receive TV Guide information from over the air waves. It's down loaded automatically and that's it. The info is specific to your area (zip-code) for OTA. I don't know about cable cause I've never had it.

#41 ·

Quote:

Just got mine in yesterday. I don't see any issues with it being dim at all. In fact I turned the contrast and brightness down to 50, sharpness to 0, and DNIe / DNR to off. Everything else is default at the moment. PQ is excellent as far as I can tell but I'm no trained eye. I've love some suggestions on any settings I should try.

I hooked up the UHF antenna last night (first time I've ever done this). I was amazed to see I got every channel in my area w/o an outdoor model antenna. I then compared the Colts/Rams football game between TWC HD channel and my local OTA HD station. The difference is AMAZING... OTA was far better. DVD's looked pretty good too. I was a little under whelmed with NTSC signals but it's better than anything else I've seen on digital sets. I'm still spoiled on my old tried and true Pioneer Elite NTSC set for NTSC quality.

Here are some crappy pics; my only camera right now is a sub function of my camcorder so any noise you see is the camera... it's terrible sorry.

18 is Sci-Fi in SD

19-20 is Tennis on a blue court on INHD

21 is another Baseball on ESPN HD still shot

22 is another Tennis on a blue court on INHD

23-26 is some SD Comedy Central shots

27-34 various HD channels (the pics really do not do this any justice what-so-ever sorry)

35-47 is various dvd shots, really bad shots though lol

Sorry my pics are basically useless but I fogured I'd share them anyways.

-jrdnyquist

Hi, a big thing with Samsung sets is the video noise that is there right out of the box. I had a 6188 and the noise was so bad that it turned me off completely. Is it any difference with the 5679?

#42 ·
What indoor UHF antenna model did you use and where did you get it? Are those 640 x 480 resolution shots? I certainly hope the real screen looks far better than those. Thanks for the effort though. Any chance of borrowing someone's real digital camera???

Quote:

-jrdnyquist

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug /forum/post/0

Hi, a big thing with Samsung sets is the video noise that is there right out of the box. I had a 6188 and the noise was so bad that it turned me off completely. Is it any difference with the 5679?

Well again I'm not really a trained eye but I see some noise in the picture (with the SA 8300HD) there's no doubt about it. This is especially true with SD signals. The noise in the HD signals was only noticeable to me when using the TWC cable box. OTA was pristine with native HD content, I still saw noise in SD signals via OTA.

I've yet to see a digtial set w/o some noise in the picture to be honest. I plan on getting umr to calibrate the set when he can make it to town. Hopefully someone that's seen the set and knows what the heck they're talking about (concerning PQ) can respond.

#44 ·

Quote:

What indoor UHF antenna model did you use and where did you get it? Are those 640 x 480 resolution shots? I certainly hope the real screen looks far better than those. Thanks for the effort though. Any chance of borrowing someone's real digital camera???

Yeah man that thing should not even be allowed the name "camera". My friend is coming over sat with a very nice camera I'll get some high quality shots up by monday.

Here's the Antenna I got from best buy:

Terk Indoor Amplified HDTV Antenna

Model: HDTVA

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug /forum/post/0

A good calibration will virtually eliminate it. See the TECH LINKS post in my signature block for calibrating tweaks/tips for self-calibration or links to the ISF pros.

Remember, the tech links thread is for the HL-S6187/6188 series, but much will apply to the HL-S5679 series...

Cheers,

Doc

#49 ·

Quote:

I'm 10' back and I think that's about perfect for a 56". I'd agree that at 12'-13' a 61" would be better.

#50 ·
I am an owner of sorts. I've been billed and paid for the set but Crutchfields' "free" shipping is taking forever.

Anyway, here is a picture of the DLP Light Engine with LED Illumination:

and Phlat Light:

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by f300v10 /forum/post/0

klac, could you please comment on black levels and shadow detail?

I watched Matrix Revolutions last night starting where Neo gets to the machine city. The black bars looked pretty dark but next to the black cabinet I could tell that they were grey. Using Word on my notebook I made a table with rows ranging from black to white then held it next to the screen. The black bars matched the row with 85% grey. Then I did the same thing on my CRT. The first thing I noticed was that the black bars change color depending on how bright the picture is - with the 5679 the bar color was consistent. During the dark scenes the bar color varied between 90-95% grey.

Shadow detail was superior on the 5679. I noted scenes on the CRT where Neo or Smith appeared all black with no detail, then went back and watched those scenes on the 5679. In several cases I could see details that were'nt there on the CRT. Also I could make out much more detail in the machine city on the 5679.

I'll never be able to enjoy a movie on my CRT again!

Here's the color scale I used:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.