Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDG View Post

Any comments on the reported "hot spot?"

jdg

What hot spot?.........I've had this set since the begining of August, had Movie Mode, ISF calibrated to superb colorimetry, approximately one and half weeks ago, watched close to 430 hours, (388 hours to be exact) when the ISF calibrator tweaked it of all kind of feeds, and all sorts of DVDs, commercial and non-commercial, and I am yet to see any hot spot. In fact I think this report, is flawed and a real piece of crapola.

They don't even address the only and probably the main problem of this set, which is the "color banding", blocking artifact, or whatever you want to call it, that everyone in this Forum has noted on all modes, except Movie Mode. They don't even mention what Mode they were evaluating.

What is more, in the Guru Section, they mention something about color temp. before and after, which I take it to mean before and after tweaking the gray scale, but the before # don't even come close to the measured values obtained by the ISF calibrator coming close to 12,000 K, with the Blue way off the baseline.

As far as black levels is concerned, well my main concern is to being able to see detail in the shadow areas, not blotchy inky blacks, and yet black appears plenty black for me.
Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2941 Old 10-02-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

I would agree with the review's black level statements. They are 100% the same as what I have been stating here and elsewhere. As for the "hot spot" and uneven qualities, I can honestly say I haven't seen (noticed) them myself. Not to happy with the set not being able to resolve 1080i fully though but can live with a few missed lines especially with the quality images I have experienced so far without even using 1080p HD-DVD/Blu-ray/Xbox360 add-on/PS3 yet.

I agree the blacks aren't great--and that doesn't bother me much...nor does the pincushioning. I have seen no hot spots, though the vertical viewing angle is such that even from 8 feet away, the top of my screen is darker than the bottom (when on my couch, my head is only barely above the bottom of the screen). In these situations, I see a bit of blue shift. Most of the time it doesn't bother me. Sometimes I think I got too high end a TV given how forgiving I am . And yet I'd like to see this thing calibrated and see how it affects the sometimes-noticeable artifacting.

One thing from the review:
Quote:

We also appreciated the relative lack of stationary screen grain, an issue we've seen on many other rear-projection sets that wasn't nearly as noticeable on the HL-S5679W. That grain is the result of using screens that amplify brightness too much and is often visible as tiny stationary dots in bright areas. With the Samsung, there was virtually no screen-induced grain at all.

Is this in reference to SSE?
post #723 of 2941 Old 10-02-2006, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any comments on the reported "hot spot?"

jdg

Also no hot spot for me. I searched the HLR thread and found one user who reported it, click here, and another user who agreed with him. 2 out of 10,240 posts doesn't sound like much of a problem to me.
post #724 of 2941 Old 10-02-2006, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not to happy with the set not being able to resolve 1080i fully though but can live with a few missed lines especially with the quality images I have experienced so far without even using 1080p HD-DVD/Blu-ray/Xbox360 add-on/PS3 yet.

I assumed they were referring to 1:1 pixel mapping...did they mean something else?
post #725 of 2941 Old 10-02-2006, 07:41 PM

I'm in the market for a new 50-60" TV, best bang for the buck with reasonable PQ, w/ 1080 if possible, less than 3k were be nice. So I'm looking at just about everything on the market.

I have a basis Samsung question, what is the deal with their high-gloss/shiney frames. Is there some purpose for it. I find it very distracting, almost a deal breaker for the most part.

Life is short, play hard.
post #726 of 2941 Old 10-02-2006, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgriff View Post

I have a basis Samsung question, what is the deal with their high-gloss/shiney frames. Is there some purpose for it. I find it very distracting, almost a deal breaker for the most part.

The frame has never bothered me. If you notice it while you're watching TV it's probably time to watch something else.
post #727 of 2941 Old 10-02-2006, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by klac View Post

I assumed they were referring to 1:1 pixel mapping...did they mean something else?

I have taken the front bezel off of mine and there is a good 1/2" all around of image that gets covered up by it. After removing it, I understand the thin bezel of the other models better. As long as there is a good method to secure the screen in place, more image area can be gained using a thiner bezel as the projected image goes right to the edges of the cabinet from what I have seen with the 5679.
post #728 of 2941 Old 10-03-2006, 05:16 AM

I have had the set for 2 months now and I love it! The only time I saw banding was on a dark movie that was broadcasted crappy. I have not even adjusted the picture because it looks so good in HD feeds, but I am waiting to see what Eliab says before I begin to calibrate. I am suprised that Cnet gave it such a low review but when you compare Cnet's geek bok of the 5679w to all the other new tv's they have reviewed it is way better in comparison!
post #729 of 2941 Old 10-03-2006, 06:38 AM

Anyone care to guessimate when we might see prices come down a bit?? 4k seems a bit high, even though it is the latest & greatest, its still does not have a proven track record. Its gets a little hard to justify paying $1000-1500 or more.

Life is short, play hard.
post #730 of 2941 Old 10-03-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgriff View Post

Anyone care to guessimate when we might see prices come down a bit?? 4k seems a bit high, even though it is the latest & greatest, its still does not have a proven track record. Its gets a little hard to justify paying $1000-1500 or more.

It's already down to $3,599.99 at many stores. I saw it on the htguys site for that and it may be even cheaper at other places.
post #731 of 2941 Old 10-03-2006, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luidoly View Post

What hot spot?.........I've had this set since the begining of August, had Movie Mode, ISF calibrated to superb colorimetry, approximately one and half weeks ago, watched close to 430 hours, (388 hours to be exact) when the ISF calibrator tweaked it of all kind of feeds, and all sorts of DVDs, commercial and non-commercial, and I am yet to see any hot spot. In fact I think this report, is flawed and a real piece of crapola.

They don't even address the only and probably the main problem of this set, which is the "color banding", blocking artifact, or whatever you want to call it, that everyone in this Forum has noted on all modes, except Movie Mode. They don't even mention what Mode they were evaluating.

Did the ISF calibration address the "color banding" in non-Movie Mode?

jdg
post #732 of 2941 Old 10-03-2006, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Check out this review which seems the opposite to the Cnet review in many ways:

EngadgetHD Review

Note the reviewer did calibrate the set. Also (very important to me) states that blacks are not inky CRT-black but better than many other DLPs he has seen and furthermore he discribes a dark scene in which the black level was dark (only thing I would like to see on mine changed).

Any reports of calibraton results and its effect on the blackness of black in dark and completely blackened scenes would be appreciated.
post #733 of 2941 Old 10-03-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:

I think either they didn't configure 1:1 pixel mapping, or they're just whining about a little indistinctness caused by wobulation. You have to be so close to the set to notice any of that, it's a pretty silly complaint, though possibly remotely valid. It is only remotely an issue for computer viewers, I think.
post #734 of 2941 Old 10-03-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:

jdg

Yes, and we tried it without success, I am sorry to say, partly because there has been so little information exchange between calibrators on this set and the number of attempts has been so small that reliable information is just not available. At present my Movie Mode is exceptional, with punchy color, great skin tones, green that is green, and blacks that are black, with no banding, or blotchy color artifact in the shadows.
I may add that this is true from any feed, HD, SD, from Sat feeds, OTA HD or SD local stations, DVD player, etc...

A very interesting note from last week is the fact that I adquired the new Canon HV-10 camcorder that records in High Def 1080i on a MiniDV tape and also in SD 480i feeding directly from the camcorder to component in of the TV. (the HV-10 does not have HDMI out), the first thing I noted was that High Def as well as SD recordings did not exhibit any banding or blotchy artifact in ANY MODE !!!!

Although I know very little about electronics, this leads me to believe that this banding or color artifact in the shadows may be in fact due to the way the decoder in this set handles the differrent feeds, particularly, those satellite feeds in SD in which I see the artifact the worst. This of course may be something for the experts to explain, but one thing for me is clear, the Hi Def, and SD recordings from this little sweet camera projected unto the screen of this set, using any Mode, is simply outstanding.
post #735 of 2941 Old 10-03-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:

jdg

Does anyone know if this "color banding" issue is apparent on the HL-Sxxx87/88 models before calibration, or is this color banding issue "new" to the 5679?
post #736 of 2941 Old 10-03-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post

Does anyone know if this "color banding" issue is apparent on the HL-Sxxx87/88 models before calibration, or is this color banding issue "new" to the 5679?

There is definately banding in 5687, its just not as noticable. I only noticed because I have the 5679 and knew what to look for. I doubt a normal person just looking at it would see it. I know my aunt and uncle didnt see it when I set theirs up
post #737 of 2941 Old 10-03-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikishk View Post

There is definately banding in 5687, its just not as noticable. I only noticed because I have the 5679 and knew what to look for. I doubt a normal person just looking at it would see it. I know my aunt and uncle didnt see it when I set theirs up

Well, I'm definitely NOT normal, so maybe I should see it....

Seriously, I'm not sure what I should be seeing to notice this color banding.

I was at a Magnolia A/V store today and they had a 5679 side by side with a 5688. The only thing that was "obvious" was the brightness of the 5688...Noticeably brighter then the 5679 (As were the other DLP's in the store...Brighter then the 5679). I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, it was just an obvious difference.

This has been my observation everywhere I've seen the 5679 in action (Two separate Magnolia A/V stores, one Best Buy store).
post #738 of 2941 Old 10-04-2006, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Well, I'm definitely NOT normal, so maybe I should see it....

Seriously, I'm not sure what I should be seeing to notice this color banding.

I was at a Magnolia A/V store today and they had a 5679 side by side with a 5688. The only thing that was "obvious" was the brightness of the 5688...Noticeably brighter then the 5679 (As were the other DLP's in the store...Brighter then the 5679). I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, it was just an obvious difference.

This has been my observation everywhere I've seen the 5679 in action (Two separate Magnolia A/V stores, one Best Buy store).

Color banding can only be noticed by people that type in ALL CAPS or in bold type ! No but seriously, color banding is noticable by anyone. Even my 11 year old complained about it. It just depends on the content. Sometimes it is *very* bad.
post #739 of 2941 Old 10-04-2006, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luidoly View Post

Yes, and we tried it without success, I am sorry to say, partly because there has been so little information exchange between calibrators on this set and the number of attempts has been so small that reliable information is just not available. At present my Movie Mode is exceptional, with punchy color, great skin tones, green that is green, and blacks that are black, with no banding, or blotchy color artifact in the shadows.
I may add that this is true from any feed, HD, SD, from Sat feeds, OTA HD or SD local stations, DVD player, etc...

A very interesting note from last week is the fact that I adquired the new Canon HV-10 camcorder that records in High Def 1080i on a MiniDV tape and also in SD 480i feeding directly from the camcorder to component in of the TV. (the HV-10 does not have HDMI out), the first thing I noted was that High Def as well as SD recordings did not exhibit any banding or blotchy artifact in ANY MODE !!!!

Although I know very little about electronics, this leads me to believe that this banding or color artifact in the shadows may be in fact due to the way the decoder in this set handles the differrent feeds, particularly, those satellite feeds in SD in which I see the artifact the worst. This of course may be something for the experts to explain, but one thing for me is clear, the Hi Def, and SD recordings from this little sweet camera projected unto the screen of this set, using any Mode, is simply outstanding.

what's the problem with using movie mode for all inputs ?
post #740 of 2941 Old 10-04-2006, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

No problem for me. All inputs (component, HDMI, firewire and VGA) look great in movie mode. Haven't used the s-video or composite inputs at all yet and may never.
post #741 of 2941 Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdnyquist View Post

Color banding can only be noticed by people that type in ALL CAPS or in bold type ! No but seriously, color banding is noticable by anyone. Even my 11 year old complained about it. It just depends on the content. Sometimes it is *very* bad.

I guess I'll have to stare at this set awhile longer...
post #742 of 2941 Old 10-04-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:

No problem for me. All inputs (component, HDMI, firewire and VGA) look great in movie mode. Haven't used the s-video or composite inputs at all yet and may never.

I agree, and I have actually used my S-Video (for the occasional kid's videotape)...it seems all right, considering that VHS is even worse than most broadcast SD TV.

Also, for those noting brightness in the stores, you must trust us owners: The set will seem bright enough in your home. Remember that if you want an accurate picture you'll have to dial down the brightness on any set, including this one.
post #743 of 2941 Old 10-04-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:

I guess I'll have to stare at this set awhile longer...

To be clear, when movie mode is ON, I do not see banding 95% of the time. When it is off, I see it 80% of the time on SD content including DVDs and only about 20% of the time in HD signals, usually in dimly lit scenes. I never see color banding during football games (very bright) and it's my opinion that movie mode does not look as good for football. I can get used to it for other things but I can't wait for umr to get here and calibrate my set.

Color Banding examples, what to look for (with movie mode off):

For HD content try and see if you can catch Deadwood (assuming you have HBO HD). I notice color banding there on the walls of most the indoor scenes. Also people's faces show it in dimly lit scenes.

On SD content like say Stargate SG-1 or House it very obvious. I can't imagine you not noticing it on SD content.
post #744 of 2941 Old 10-04-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

No problem at all, as a matter of fact, now that it is calibrated I like it even more.

post #745 of 2941 Old 10-04-2006, 03:17 PM

I ordered my TV last monday and I have been a somewhat happy owner since Friday. That is right 4 days after ordering it was in my living room. I haven't had much time to play around with it. Out of the box it looks pretty good to me. I did notice some strange things on a suede coat on Law and Order SVU last night. It was a 1080i source and I had the TV in standard mode. I switched to movie and didn't notice it again. I think when I get some time to tweak the settings I will be very happy. The wife and I watched a little bit of the game on ESPNHD today and it was like we were there. The picture was great. My biggest concern is a light spot in the middle of the screen even when the TV is off. Has anyone else noticed that? Is it normal?
post #746 of 2941 Old 10-04-2006, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkhunter View Post

My biggest concern is a light spot in the middle of the screen even when the TV is off. Has anyone else noticed that? Is it normal?

That's just the pilot light.
Actually, it's light from the room that reflects off the mirrors. I think there was a one page note that came with mine that states this...

Congratulations!
post #747 of 2941 Old 10-04-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:

That's just the pilot light.
Actually, it's light from the room that reflects off the mirrors. I think there was a one page note that came with mine that states this...

Congratulations!

Thanks. I guess I should read the manual. Just got too excited. Do you still notice it when a show you are watching pans across a dark scene? I do. Thanks again.
post #748 of 2941 Old 10-04-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Hi Ken,

There have been some reports of banding that has been fixed by switching to "movie" mode. Eliab and David Abrams will be working on their first HL-S5679 in the near future. I expect that the banding will be fixed through calibration.

My guess is that Samsung is calibrating sets differently for shows than for showrooms.

Reports seem to indicate that overscan is between 3% and 5% using HDMI. If the "overscan' option is turned off in the SM the overscan is reduce to 1.5% to 2%. Or numbers close to those values. Turning off "overscan" also provides you with 1:1 pixel mapping.

My HLP gets about 1.5% overscan using our HTPC under similar conditions.

UMR, Eliab, and David Abrams indicate that it took significant extra work to get the most out of the HL-Sxx87 and HL-Sxx88 models. Once they learned the "new tricks" they feel the results are outstanding. I'm assuming that the same will be true of the HL-S5679 but there are no "official" reports yet.

Nice to share your discoveries..
post #749 of 2941 Old 10-04-2006, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkhunter View Post

Thanks. I guess I should read the manual. Just got too excited. Do you still notice it when a show you are watching pans across a dark scene? I do. Thanks again.

Just got home and found the page. It's a loose page w/ a light purple border:
Quote:

Reflection of external light and illumination
............................................................ .......
Install the TV so that the light can't be reflected directly to the screen. If a strong light such as external light or illumination is directly affected to the screen, some part of the screen may appear white regardless of power on or off. This occurs because either external light or illumination is reflected, so this is not damage.

You might have a light nearby that is reflecting into it. I prefer to watch TV in the dark but my wife requires a light on so I usually have a light on the side or behind the TV. Probably why I've never noticed a reflection while it's on.
post #750 of 2941 Old 10-04-2006, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got home and found the page. It's a loose page w/ a light purple border:

You might have a light nearby that is reflecting into it. I prefer to watch TV in the dark but my wife requires a light on so I usually have a light on the side or behind the TV. Probably why I've never noticed a reflection while it's on.

Me too. I have added lights behind and to the side of the tv since getting it to "brighten" up my previously completely dark room but none shine directly into the set or are pointed directly at the screen.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page