post #91 of 2943 Old 08-13-2006, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by klac View Post

The connections are on the right side (as you look at the front). The HDMI connections are about 5" from the center.

Thank you for those dimensions. I've got 8 cables to connect when mine arrives and the shortest HDMI cable should just barely make it. Knowing which side the connections are on and how far from the center the HDMI connections are, I can see that my Firewire cable is way too short and isn't going to make it. Component, cable, antenna and optical out shouldn't be an issue: I hope.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2943 Old 08-13-2006, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I've 'found' some more questions.

Does the optical output connection output 5.1 surround when using HDMI components?

I see in the manual that the HDMI inputs support 2.0 audio.

Does the 2.0 audio limit of the HDMI inputs just mean to the TV speakers internally or will just 2 channel audio be output through the optical output as well?

Thanks again.
post #93 of 2943 Old 08-13-2006, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Can someone with one please report back on if Sin City or the THX video test of the circle produces any RBE?
post #94 of 2943 Old 08-13-2006, 06:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarge View Post

I've been eyeing this TV for quite a while and I'm planning on buying one as soon as I can find one. Yesterday my wife decided we needed to rearrange the furniture in our living room. We're now sitting between 8 and 9 feet from the screen of our current TV (6-7 year old 53" Sony projection SDTV). Will this distance be too close for the 5679?

Assuming that you have perfect 20/20 eyesight, using the rule of thumb of what size pixel the human eye can resolve, you would have to be sitting less than 7' 3" from the screen to be able to see the pixels.

From a practical point of view, although I have yet to see the 5679, looking at other wobulated 1080P DLP sets like the 5687, the effective pixel size is even smaller and you have to be really close (<4') to be able to see pixels.
post #95 of 2943 Old 08-13-2006, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCL View Post

I paid much less than $4K after a price match with at ABT. My TV should arrive mid week.

ABT Electronics shows the price at $3999. Who did you use to get them to price match much less???
post #96 of 2943 Old 08-13-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwald View Post

ABT Electronics shows the price at $3999. Who did you use to get them to price match much less???

I got on the TVA Power Buy back in April or May and the price quoted was several hundred less. I believe that back then, the MSRP was something like $4199 not $3999, so if I'm remembering right, they've lowered it by $200 during the delay. However, I just checked at a Best Buy Magnolia and they are listing their standard price for the set as $200 less than the current MSRP (which is what you quoted). So suddenly I'm not saving much of anything by waiting for TVA. I just wonder when I will actually hear from TVA anyway...?

I kind of feel like TVA should have done a second Power Buy with these sets.
post #97 of 2943 Old 08-13-2006, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I totally agree with you. TVA told me that they have no idea when the first 5679's will even come in. I've been waiting 2 months on the Powerbuy for a 6187 and by now many other online vendors are cheaper. I doubt that most of them are as reliable though.
post #98 of 2943 Old 08-13-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351CJ View Post

Assuming that you have perfect 20/20 eyesight, using the rule of thumb of what size pixel the human eye can resolve, you would have to be sitting less than 7' 3" from the screen to be able to see the pixels.

From a practical point of view, although I have yet to see the 5679, looking at other wobulated 1080P DLP sets like the 5687, the effective pixel size is even smaller and you have to be really close (<4') to be able to see pixels.

Well I do have good eyesight and don't require glasses. But I just turned 33 years old so that'll probably change fairly soon But it sounds like sitting 8 to 9 feet away will be fine for this set. I'm really excited to finally be moving from SDTV to HDTV, and I think the $4K purchase will be well worth it. I refuse to buy the 5679 from my local Sound Advice (Tweeter) due to issues I mentioned in the "Future" thread (basically the sales guy being a total ass). So hopefully I'll find one somewhere else soon, and join the owner's club
post #99 of 2943 Old 08-13-2006, 09:42 PM

Has anyone hooked up a game system to their 5679W yet? How does the game mode
look? Any gamelag?
post #100 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

Well, I've 'found' some more questions.

Does the optical output connection output 5.1 surround when using HDMI components?

I see in the manual that the HDMI inputs support 2.0 audio.

Does the 2.0 audio limit of the HDMI inputs just mean to the TV speakers internally or will just 2 channel audio be output through the optical output as well?

Thanks again.

I'm pretty sure that you can only get 5.1 output from OTA. Also, I put in T2 last night using 5.1 Dolby Digital and there was a message displayed that there would be no audio over HDMI. I'm not sure if that was a limit in the DVD player or the TV though. I thought you could send 5.1 to the TV and have it do 2.0. I run optical from the DVD player to the receiver though so it's not a problem for me.

Are you short on optical input's to your receiver?
post #101 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waukee View Post

yes, go to ABT and ask for Kevin, they will hook you up and have a better price and qucker delivery than TVA!

on "backorder" 7-14 days until they have more info.
post #102 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarge View Post

Well I do have good eyesight and don't require glasses. But I just turned 33 years old so that'll probably change fairly soon But it sounds like sitting 8 to 9 feet away will be fine for this set. I'm really excited to finally be moving from SDTV to HDTV, and I think the $4K purchase will be well worth it. I refuse to buy the 5679 from my local Sound Advice (Tweeter) due to issues I mentioned in the "Future" thread (basically the sales guy being a total ass). So hopefully I'll find one somewhere else soon, and join the owner's club

don't feel too bad cause tweeter probably won't be getting them in until they get their payment problem with samsung worked out.

Home Theater, 700 HP cars, golf, and snow skiing are all expensive habits for a 24 year old!
post #103 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

I am feeding it a 1080P from a DVDO VP30 video processor.

I don't believe a DVDO VP30 can output 1080P - it's limit presently is 1080i with the next version VP40 or 50 is rumored to be 1080P. They may be debuting one at CEDIA show next month that does 1080P. The VP30 should help with 480i if you have the new ADT102 Card installed that tweaks it the DVD quality. I own the package but am saving it for my next large panel as my Sharp doesn't need alot of help in this area but a 60+" panel usually does. Many may be upgrading this next year to tweak SD and have it do 1080P also adding a $2K+ cost premium. Just an FYI so folks don't run out to get a VP30 thinking it does full 1080P when it doesn't at this time.

I call the VP Thread the Mensa thread since these guys are the ultimate PQ tweakers many are the AV Engineers creating the VP's exchanging info that often is challenging to understand but they do their best to educate and inform and many of these folks use equipment to tweak that cost far more than the TV's.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #104 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
what is the "official" matching stand of the 5679w, and does anyone have it ? If so, what are your thoughts ?
post #105 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that you can only get 5.1 output from OTA. Also, I put in T2 last night using 5.1 Dolby Digital and there was a message displayed that there would be no audio over HDMI. I'm not sure if that was a limit in the DVD player or the TV though. I thought you could send 5.1 to the TV and have it do 2.0. I run optical from the DVD player to the receiver though so it's not a problem for me.

Are you short on optical input's to your receiver?

Thank you very much for that information. My set is coming in a few hours and it would now seem I will not be getting 5.1 back to my receiver. I have enough optical inputs (barely) but really wanted to hook everything up at the tv: oh well.

I was planning to get, and now it looks like I will for sure, an HDMI switcher with optical/coax switching like THIS ONE.

I will use it to get HDMI video to the TV and HDMI surround audio to my Denon AVR-3803. I just have to wait until the first of the month to get the switcher though.

After HDMI 1.3, I hope to get another receiver with HDMI 1.3 switching and feed everything into it and then video out HDMI to the TV.

Again, thanks for the information and taking the time to supply all of the detail. I forgot about OTA audio output all together.
post #106 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 AM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

what is the "official" matching stand of the 5679w, and does anyone have it ? If so, what are your thoughts ?

This is a great question. Having just been at the dealer researching this topic and reviewing the dealer Samsung catalog, there is no official matching stand. The stand for the HLS-xx8x series DLP is designed to be adjustable during construction so that it's width will match the width of your DLP, whether it is 50, 56, or 61 inches. Unfortunately then 5679 has a different width and even it it fits OK it will not match the width of the stand. It is theoretically possible that one could cut a couple of inches off the pieces designed for the 61inch display to get the stand to match the width of the 5679 however doing so would require the cut blocks to be repainted. Not really too hard to do but not the same as a prefabbed product.

Rick
post #107 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

This is a great question. Having just been at the dealer researching this topic and reviewing the dealer Samsung catalog, there is no official matching stand. The stand for the HLS-xx8x series DLP is designed to be adjustable during construction so that it's width will match the width of your DLP, whether it is 50, 56, or 61 inches. Unfortunately then 5679 has a different width and even it it fits OK it will not match the width of the stand. It is theoretically possible that one could cut a couple of inches off the pieces designed for the 61inch display to get the stand to match the width of the 5679 however doing so would require the cut blocks to be repainted. Not really too hard to do but not the same as a prefabbed product.

thanks, that's kind of odd that Samsung didn't release a stand that matches the 5679 dimensions

klac, what are you using for your set ?
post #108 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I don't believe a DVDO VP30 can output 1080P

It certainly can!

http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_isvp30.php

Quote:

The DVDO® iScan VP30 is the next generation high-resolution video processor and A/V switcher that sets a new standard for up, down, and cross-converting all of your video sources. Whether it's your 480i cable feed, 480p DVD player, or 720p or 1080i HD set-top-box signal-the iScan VP30 scales your video output to perfectly match the optimum resolution of your display, up to 1080p! Plus, it's HDCP compliant over each of the 4 digital HDMI inputs, and accepts any legacy 480i/480p analog sources.

Nick
post #109 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

thanks, that's kind of odd that Samsung didn't release a stand that matches the 5679 dimensions

klac, what are you using for your set ?

I've got the TR50X3B. I was told that it was the matching stand for the 5679 and didn't verify the dimensions. I'm happy with it though. I'm using the spacers for the 56" so the TV hangs slightly over the stand - maybe ~1/2" each side. I've thought about using the 61" spacers but I prefer the stand size to match the TV. I like RTK's idea of cutting the spacers. I might give that a shot next weekend. If the paint doesn't chip when it's cut, it should be easy to paint the cut side since it'll barely be visible.
post #110 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btstarke View Post

don't feel too bad cause tweeter probably won't be getting them in until they get their payment problem with samsung worked out.

Yeah, but now I have to wait until I can find it somewhere in the Clearwater/Tampa, FL area. It's killing me! I'd prefer to get it somewhere locally with an extended warranty, but I may just end up buying it online (hopefully who'll have an extended warranty) and hope for the best. I rarely buy extended warranties, but on a $4K purchase I think it's best.
post #111 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you very much for that information. My set is coming in a few hours and it would now seem I will not be getting 5.1 back to my receiver. I have enough optical inputs (barely) but really wanted to hook everything up at the tv: oh well.

I was planning to get, and now it looks like I will for sure, an HDMI switcher with optical/coax switching like THIS ONE.

I will use it to get HDMI video to the TV and HDMI surround audio to my Denon AVR-3803. I just have to wait until the first of the month to get the switcher though.

After HDMI 1.3, I hope to get another receiver with HDMI 1.3 switching and feed everything into it and then video out HDMI to the TV.

I was hoping to do it the same way as well. It doesn't seem very difficult to pass the audio out.

I was thinking the Panasonic SA-XR700 sounded like the perfect receiver for me, (HDMI 1.3, HDMI switching, HD audio formats) then they released the actual features (2 HDMI 1.2 connections ). That HDMI switcher sounds pretty good though. Let us know how it works out for you.
post #112 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 02:49 PM

Just got a call from Magnolia in San Jose. Had one backordered since mid July and they said they are in the warehouse with delivery set up for this Saturday
post #113 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

I felt the red's were a little strong at first. It'll be nice to hear from a calibrator on that. I don't see noise as a problem but it does show up periodically.

Anyone here that has gone to the CES that knows what they were referring to regarding the red push and the 'noise' issue (not exactly sure what they meant here)??
Both were made a 'big deal' 6 months back as I remember.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #114 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was hoping to do it the same way as well. It doesn't seem very difficult to pass the audio out.

I was thinking the Panasonic SA-XR700 sounded like the perfect receiver for me, (HDMI 1.3, HDMI switching, HD audio formats) then they released the actual features (2 HDMI 1.2 connections ). That HDMI switcher sounds pretty good though. Let us know how it works out for you.

Since I just got my set, I can say that it does output 2.0 audio through the optical cable from HDMI sources (DVD player and Satellite Receiver in my case) and the A/V receiver processes it as Pro-Logic.

I'll report back after the 1st of next month about the switcher. I will get me over the "hump" until I can get an HDMI 1.3 switching receiver. Heck, may even keep it for even more inputs if it will pass 1.3 audio options to the receiver.
post #115 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 04:45 PM

Wesley can you post your initial impressions? Maybe some pics, a reivew, anything! We've only heard from 2 or 3 owners thus far.
post #116 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof View Post

Wesley can you post your initial impressions? Maybe some pics, a reivew, anything! We've only heard from 2 or 3 owners thus far.

First thing I have noticed that I haven't seen mentioned is "digital" color banding.

I've seen very coarse color banding on satellite HD (HDMI), D-Theater DVHS (Component) and DVD (480p Component and 1080p HDMI) in usually dark areas and mid to back ground areas.

Anyone else?

I'm trying different adjustments now but no luck so far.
post #117 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

First thing I have noticed that I haven't seen mentioned is "digital" color banding.

I've seen very coarse color banding on satellite HD (HDMI), D-Theater DVHS (Component) and DVD (480p Component and 1080p HDMI) in usually dark areas and mid to back ground areas.

Anyone else?

I'm trying different adjustments now but no luck so far.

Wesley, do you have DNIe on or off? DNIe can add the type of artifact you are describing, so if it is on, try turning it off.
post #118 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post

Wesley, do you have DNIe on or off? DNIe can add the type of artifact you are describing, so if it is on, try turning it off.

I have DNIe off but I have toggled back and forth with it and using the demo split screen. The coarse color banding seems unaffected either way really.

I'm watch my LCD HDTV as I type this and don't see any thing out of the ordinary using the same DirecTV H20 receiver (second unit).
post #119 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have DNIe off but I have toggled back and forth with it and using the demo split screen. The coarse color banding seems unaffected either way really.

I'm watch my LCD HDTV as I type this and don't see any thing out of the ordinary using the same DirecTV H20 receiver (second unit).

With satellite input, I can see color banding when using Dynamic mode and less frequently with Standard mode. Using Movie mode I've never seen it.

What mode are you currently using?
post #120 of 2943 Old 08-14-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With satellite input, I can see color banding when using Dynamic mode and less frequently with Standard mode. Using Movie mode I've never seen it.

What mode are you currently using?

I will try movie mode and adjust from there (because I don't like the look of movie mode).

This coarse dithering is really bad to me. It seems as if the set is having issue with the dark end of colors. Bright scenes seem fine. To me, when the color banding 'hits', it hits hard.

I'm currently playing Battlefield 2 on XBOX 360 in Game Mode. I've been playing with the contrast and brightness to hopefully reach a compromise. Overall (except for the banding) it seems to play well on the TV.

If I find a setting, I will still have to go to the other inputs and do something for DVD, Sat, DVHS, etc.

Right now, so much for a "smooth film-like picture".
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page