Samsung HLS-5679W LED DLP Owners Thread (*NO PRICE TALK) - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 2938 Old 10-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"October 12, 2010

We have received your claim for requesting reimbursement for the cost of repairs of your Samsung television in association with the DLP Light Tunnel settlement...

YOUR CLAIM IS REJECTED BECAUSE: THE SYMPTOMS AND/OR SERVICES DESCRIBED ARE NOT RELATED TO THE LIGHT TUNNEL DEFECT...

Regards,
The Samsung Service Team"

Yep, never would I buy another one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2938 Old 11-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus77 View Post

"October 12, 2010

We have received your claim for requesting reimbursement for the cost of repairs of your Samsung television in association with the DLP Light Tunnel settlement...

YOUR CLAIM IS REJECTED BECAUSE: THE SYMPTOMS AND/OR SERVICES DESCRIBED ARE NOT RELATED TO THE LIGHT TUNNEL DEFECT...

Regards,
The Samsung Service Team"

Yep, never would I buy another one...

Got the same letter...
post #2703 of 2938 Old 11-22-2010, 04:49 PM

I had the power cycling issue a few months ago, and now Im experiencing the flickering issue other users had reported (although no green screen)

It started VERY suddenly, and now the picture flickers like crazy, making almost a strobe light. The picture comes up in multiple blocks and freezes at times. This happens on all inputs.

Fortunately I have a warranty since it sounds like I'm in for a few light board. The only problem is the repair shop which services the warranty out here SUCKS at scheduling. It took a total of five weeks to get power cycling issue fixed. Of course, both of these times have been right when I have a few days off and was looking forward to enjoying some time relaxing in front of the TV. sigh........

I'll post in a couple months what what the repair shop ends up doing.
post #2704 of 2938 Old 12-01-2010, 08:53 AM

After getting the PSB changed about 2 or 3 times and it seems now my TV has encountered another problem. This time with image distortion. "ghendy" posted images on the 82nd page of the thread regarding the problem, where it seems to have flickering horizontal lines at the bottom half of the screen. If anyone knows what could be the problem please help. Here are the images "ghendy" posted about the problem:
LL
LL
LL
post #2705 of 2938 Old 12-01-2010, 06:37 PM

Looks like I'm having the same issue as a few other people here. Suddenly my picture got a white cast over it and it started to flash quickly like a strobe light. Also color lines/dashes are creeping up. I've already fixed my capacitors thanks to the info I got on this site. Any ideas on what this issue is? I'd like to have some info to tell Samsung or a repair person when I start calling around. Thanks!

(white is rapidly flashing)
post #2706 of 2938 Old 12-09-2010, 10:42 AM

Well after about 1 1/2 - 2 years of no problems after soldering new capacitors in the power supply, my TV has decided to end it's life once again.

Symptoms: This go around it just won't come on. It'll give that audible click after the power button it pushed, then all three LEDs(Temp/Standby/LED) on the power button will begin blinking. The picture never even flickers. This is different from my previous power supply problem, which leads me to believe it's something else.

A few weeks prior to it dying the screen did crap out on me while I was playing Xbox, I don't remember exactly what it did, but I turned the TV off for a bit and turned it back on and it was fine.

I've been searching, but don't get any definite answers aside from the usual capacitors/power supply. I'm so ready to ditch this TV. Any help is vastly appreciated.

-Brad
post #2707 of 2938 Old 12-09-2010, 03:08 PM

When in doubt, change the power supply. I has fixed mine twice.
post #2708 of 2938 Old 12-10-2010, 07:47 AM

Well I took it out and there was nothing "visible," which may not mean anything. But upon taking the board that's above the LED light engine I found this.. Generally I feel like chips that are this color have gone bad? If anyone can give more advice on this? I know the pictures aren't the greatest. However, there's several chips on this board that look like they're fried. And I haven't been able to find any pictures to compare to.

http://flic.kr/p/8ZNZBB
http://flic.kr/p/8ZS5qm
post #2709 of 2938 Old 12-12-2010, 12:14 PM

Has anyone that's had the flickering issue had it come and go? Because mine started doing it, also had the "watercolor" effect. We took the back off and checked the "P-led driver" board that Master Chef wrote about in msg 2694, but didn't see any bad resistors. We figured it was the DMD board and planned to order one next week. In the meantime we vacuumed it out and replaced the back, figuring we could at least watch it with the flickering until the new board got here. So we turned it back on and after about 30 mins the flickering went away and the picture has been fine for 3 days now.

I thought once the flickering started it just got worse. I don't recall it coming and going. Anyone else with similar experience with this issue? Thanks.
post #2710 of 2938 Old 12-12-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta_Division View Post
After getting the PSB changed about 2 or 3 times and it seems now my TV has encountered another problem. This time with image distortion. "ghendy" posted images on the 82nd page of the thread regarding the problem, where it seems to have flickering horizontal lines at the bottom half of the screen. If anyone knows what could be the problem please help. Here are the images "ghendy" posted about the problem:
I have the same problem with mine...sure would like to hear how someone has fixed this.
post #2711 of 2938 Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Haven't really had a chance to contact Samsung regarding this issue. After 2 repairs under warranty, and being on my 3rd PSB I've lost about all hope for this set.

From the looks of it I think it may be another light engine problem, in which case it can be a pricey fix. If Samsung refuses to help with the cost of the repair then I will just have to cut my losses and dump this giant lemon. I'm amazed as to how Samsung has avoided a recall on these sets. It's no surprise that Samsung dropped out of the DLP manufacturing business, because just about all their DLP models seem to have major issues.
post #2712 of 2938 Old 12-12-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Haven't really had a chance to contact Samsung regarding this issue. After 2 repairs under warranty, and being on my 3rd PSB I've lost about all hope for this set.

From the looks of it I think it may be another light engine problem, in which case it can be a pricey fix. If Samsung refuses to help with the cost of the repair then I will just have to cut my losses and dump this giant lemon. I'm amazed as to how Samsung has avoided a recall on these sets. It's no surprise that Samsung dropped out of the DLP manufacturing business, because just about all their DLP models seem to have major issues.

After Christmas, I am going to start pulling boards out of mine and looking for any visible signs of damaged components.
For the past year I have been watching the used TV market hoping to find one like mine that works and then swapping components until I find which one is bad and then fixing or replacing that component. I found a couple of sets but they were on the east coast...too far away for me.
post #2713 of 2938 Old 12-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Well, i'm giving up on this lemon. It has the DMD board issue that results in flickering as outlined in the past few pages. If you want it for other parts, I'm offering it for sale (i live in Chicago). PM if interested.

smooved
post #2714 of 2938 Old 12-15-2010, 09:51 AM

I'm afraid I agree with you guys. I'm so mad about this TV, was expecting it to last a few more years at least... Which is the reason I bought an LED TV in the first place. Major bummer really.

Can any of you guys tell me what the big board above the LED light engine is? That's the one that appears to have fried components on it.
post #2715 of 2938 Old 12-15-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcour View Post

Has anyone that's had the flickering issue had it come and go? Because mine started doing it, also had the "watercolor" effect. We took the back off and checked the "P-led driver" board that Master Chef wrote about in msg 2694, but didn't see any bad resistors. We figured it was the DMD board and planned to order one next week. In the meantime we vacuumed it out and replaced the back, figuring we could at least watch it with the flickering until the new board got here. So we turned it back on and after about 30 mins the flickering went away and the picture has been fine for 3 days now.

I thought once the flickering started it just got worse. I don't recall it coming and going. Anyone else with similar experience with this issue? Thanks.

Bump. I know quite a few folks here have had this problem. Anyone?
post #2716 of 2938 Old 12-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post

Can any of you guys tell me what the big board above the LED light engine is? That's the one that appears to have fried components on it.

http://drop.io/HLS5086W

From an earlier post, this is for a different model but it looks very similar to this one. The Disassembly/Reassembly pdf has very detailed instructions and pictures. You may want to check it or other pdf's at that link.
post #2717 of 2938 Old 12-15-2010, 07:02 PM

@Dysfunction, two years after a capacitor swap, my set died again last week, giving the "three light" sign that you describe. I ordered up a new set of capacitors from Allied Electronics, pulled the power supply and replaced everything that looked the least bit bulging or leaking, about six in all. Good to go for another two years. (Maybe then I'll be ready for 3-D.) Anyway, I second the suggestion to give the power supply another try. $20 including shipping is a lot less than a new light engine.
post #2718 of 2938 Old 12-16-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickd314 View Post

@Dysfunction, two years after a capacitor swap, my set died again last week, giving the "three light" sign that you describe. I ordered up a new set of capacitors from Allied Electronics, pulled the power supply and replaced everything that looked the least bit bulging or leaking, about six in all. Good to go for another two years. (Maybe then I'll be ready for 3-D.) Anyway, I second the suggestion to give the power supply another try. $20 including shipping is a lot less than a new light engine.

I agree, it can't hurt anything. The marks on that chip worry me though, they don't look like any of the other chips, and generally when chips look like that they're fried. I just wish I could find a picture of the same piece to compare them.
post #2719 of 2938 Old 12-16-2010, 08:54 AM

UPDATE: Well I was about to put the TV back together and I discovered a popped cap on that other aforementioned board, the one right above the LED light engine. Replaced that cap and she came right back on. Hopefully that's it for awhile. I think the beefier caps in the power supply board sent a little to much juice to that board, causing the surge. Just something to consider when upgrading the caps... don't go to big.
post #2720 of 2938 Old 12-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawi2 View Post

After Christmas, I am going to start pulling boards out of mine and looking for any visible signs of damaged components.
For the past year I have been watching the used TV market hoping to find one like mine that works and then swapping components until I find which one is bad and then fixing or replacing that component. I found a couple of sets but they were on the east coast...too far away for me.

I found a link of someone that describes the exact same issue i'm experiencing, but was unsure as to what "board" was being referred to in the "solution". Here's the link.
post #2721 of 2938 Old 12-16-2010, 05:56 PM

Parts anyone???

OMG! Thank you guys for this thread! I have just turned on my Sammy LED 56" and ... LED (green) flashes on button. Powercycled, same thing. WTF!
So I come here and ... well...putting it to curb. Not worth fixing. Going for LED LCD.
I didn't have flickering like pix here. I did have some lightness on the edges (not all black) but nothing a deal breaker. But I will say, I am looking at three LCD models and gasp, Samsung is rated pretty high (55").
I NEED A TV...dammit and with Holidays... Grrrr...parts anyone? Can have free if you are in the Tri-state area (NJ/PA/NY).
No more DLP for me... Thought this would last 5-9 years (being LED lamp) but hey...you served well...(funeral dirge)
post #2722 of 2938 Old 12-17-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:

I found a link of someone that describes the exact same issue i'm experiencing, but was unsure as to what "board" was being referred to in the "solution". Here's the link.

I looked at that link...It doesn't seem possible to me that the convergence circuitry could cause this problem. But then, it has been 35 years since I worked on TVs.
post #2723 of 2938 Old 12-17-2010, 04:10 PM

Kinda figured that information was false. I remember reading somewhere that the "single-panel design" would make it nearly impossible to have convergence errors. I could be wrong though...
post #2724 of 2938 Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
UPDATE: Well I was about to put the TV back together and I discovered a popped cap on that other aforementioned board, the one right above the LED light engine. Replaced that cap and she came right back on. Hopefully that's it for awhile. I think the beefier caps in the power supply board sent a little to much juice to that board, causing the surge. Just something to consider when upgrading the caps... don't go to big.
I just check that board (Assy PCB P - LED Driver Board, BP94-02264A) in my set and found a domed cap on it. Maybe it will fix my problem also.
post #2725 of 2938 Old 12-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcour View Post
http://drop.io/HLS5086W

From an earlier post, this is for a different model but it looks very similar to this one. The Disassembly/Reassembly pdf has very detailed instructions and pictures. You may want to check it or other pdf's at that link.
I pulled out the assy above the light engine and this is what I found:
BP94-02264A Assy PCB P - LED Driver Board
BP96-01495A Assy PCB P-Sub(substitute) Power board

I found a domed cap on the P-Sub Power board
post #2726 of 2938 Old 12-18-2010, 05:53 AM

Well, I have to thank this list again! After skimming through the 3000 posts in this thread (having been one of the original happy buyers back in 2006) I decided to open the back panel and examine the power board.
Mind you, I waited a day or so after unplugging to allow any good caps to discharge (hopefully).

So I found 2 of the large caps that are located under the heatsink on the power board as swollen/leaking.

Is there any other board I should be aware of that has similar cap issues inside?

Does anyone know what the blinking GREEN LED on the power button represents? I know the lamp works (there is light on the screen).

I am going to order the 2200uF 16V (x2), 2200uF 35V (x2) and 1000uF 35V (x2) capacitors today. Should I use lead-free soldering or is this a non-issue (I have both types of work stations available)?

(see picture)
LL
post #2727 of 2938 Old 12-18-2010, 07:11 AM

Uzombie,
Similar cap issue on the P-Sub Power board...see my recent posts.
post #2728 of 2938 Old 12-18-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Uzombie,
Similar cap issue on the P-Sub Power board...see my recent posts.

Ok, I removed the P-Sub board that was inverted and had PITA connectors on it (mounted above the LED heat tube assembly), removed all the shielding and found no swollen/leaking caps. All the little neat rows of U5A were clean, and the two 65V were clean as well. smaller ones, no sign of leak nor swelling.

So I am going to assume it was just the two I found.

Found ALOT of dust from the fans on the heatsinks so I'll vacuum/blow out that.

Thanks for the tip, dawi2

(update)

Just wanted to let folks know (that are new to bad caps), I was totally unaware of this issue in the Samsung unit.

However, I am aware of this issue since the report of the corporate espionage of stealing the capacitor formula and selling poorly made units below prices. Since Dell, Apple, IBM, and other PC makers got hit (failing graphics cards, failed power supplies, failed logicboards...) and extended some coverage (although expired by now), it irks me that these cap issues are like consumer timebombs. There are so many components out there with the bad Rubicon and other brand caps that leak, will leak or have leaked/failed. I've repaired 2 iMac G5 that had failed caps, and replaced numerous Apple, Dell GX series powersupplies and others. This is my first issue with my own gear. Who'd athunk?
post #2729 of 2938 Old 12-20-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:

I pulled out the assy above the light engine and this is what I found:
BP94-02264A Assy PCB P - LED Driver Board
BP96-01495A Assy PCB P-Sub(substitute) Power board

I found a domed cap on the P-Sub Power board

Well, mine just glitched out again. This time all of sudden the whole screen was nothing but snow. I turned it off for a bit, looked ok again when I turned it back on. For now, anyways. Probably gonna have to take it apart yet again, pull out the suspect boards and look for bad caps.
post #2730 of 2938 Old 12-24-2010, 01:58 PM

RANT: After almost a week from ordering caps from Parts-Express, I have to say, more like Parts-Delayed. I am ONE state away and have NOT received the parts yet! I did get an automated reply (on 22nd) that items shipped (Ordered on 18th, shipped on 21st!). Email to Parts-Express customer service have no reply. I know, it's a holiday week, but since I got cards from friends mailed on the 22nd that are in Texas and California, it's pretty disappointing NOT to have fixed my TV by Christmas.
-Don't criticize me for not using fedex or faster service; would you pay $40 to ship $12 in parts??? (Had I known, I would have use UPS ground...takes 1-2days but at $14!!! for 8oz of parts)
-If I don't see them Monday...I'm buying some LED LCD that's on sale. Screw DLPs!
-Makes me feel Grinch-like... grrrr.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page