Samsung HLS-5679W LED DLP Owners Thread (*NO PRICE TALK) - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2851 of 2947 Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called Samsung support for my power supply issue and they set up an appointment to have a tech call me and check on it. To take a look at the tv it was quite a high fee.

Anyone know of any power supply boards laying around somewhere for sale? Or any directions of what kind of capacitors I'd need to by to replace on the board?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2947 Old 11-23-2011, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, what a great forum! Five years of fixes and still going. Thanks for all the info. This is my first post but I've been following this thread for more than a year. I've gone through the power cycling, blown caps, color smear (red), and the endless searching for a new DMD board (cheap). I recently scored one on ebay for a $125 and put it in a week ago. So far so good! The picture is as good as it was on the showroom floor. I'm fully expecting the TV to fail again of coarse but with all I've learned from KLAC and that guy who posted the pictures of the DMD board fix I'm confident I'll be able to overcome it. I'm currently scouring my old DMD board with a multmeter to locate any defective resistors and possibly refurbish it. Thanks again for all the good advice. Mike
post #2853 of 2947 Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 PM

Hello. Someone gave us this tv and I was hoping I could get a clue as to the diagnosis. Any part numbers and links would be helpful too. Thanks in advance
LL
post #2854 of 2947 Old 12-13-2011, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think that looks like what I had going on when my DMD board went out. Mine was a green instead of red. Showed up in shadows alot. Can't remember the part number but it isn't the cheapest. I see someone up here that got one for $125, but I think I paid about $240 for mine. Good news is, once you switch it out, this TV still has as good a picture as any LCD or Plasma on the market under 3 grand. I am not a TV repairman by any means, but it wasn't a tough fix. Does take some adjustment after the install though, to get the picture lined up.

Hope I helped.
post #2855 of 2947 Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 AM

Hey WannabeRepairman, I agree with svt54's assesment. I had that red smear and replacing the DMD board (part: Constantine DMD Board BP41-00267A) fixed the problem. Here is a link to the post where another HLS-5679W owner explains how to do it with pictures: h ttp://imgur.com/a/TS6kU#oq5HR (you'll notice the the "h" is separated from the "ttp" I have to break up my urls like that until my forth post. Just put the put it back together in your address bar) The biggest problem is availability. I waited for almost three months before the DMD board popped up on ebay. Good luck
post #2856 of 2947 Old 12-14-2011, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will keep an eye out for the part and try that repair.
post #2857 of 2947 Old 12-29-2011, 06:46 PM

Liked: 11
Hey everyone, DMD replacement board picture guy here. It's been many months since the repair and my TV is still going strong! Picture looks great and the tv has been stable if that makes any sense. A couple of notes: I replaced the thermal tape on the DLP chip with thermal grease. It's very important to use only a little tiny bit if this is something you choose to do. Otherwise it gets all over the DLP chip pins. Additionally, dont sweat too much the torque on the spring loaded screws, they seem to be very forgiving as far as how tight you get them.
post #2858 of 2947 Old 12-30-2011, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the update Taokane. Your use of the phrase "many months" gives me hope that all the effort does pay off in the end.
post #2859 of 2947 Old 01-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Just sold this TV on Craigslist after I upgraded to a Black Friday Panasonic Viera.

I'm going to miss it. Great picture, very feature rich for its time. I've seen LCD's at friends houses that make me wish I was watching the Sammy DLP.

And I got less than 20% of what I originally paid for it 5 years ago.
post #2860 of 2947 Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 PM

Just purchased this tv used. Watched national championship on it great picture. When I got home today I noticed that on my power button. There was standby/temp lit in red tv turned on and ran good for about an hour then shut off. I pulled board and checked compasitors and all looked well when I put tv back together and plugged back in had same light on. Tv. Still powered up. But I shut it off after about 15 minutes any. Ideas on what problem could be. Thanks for the input
post #2861 of 2947 Old 01-12-2012, 08:22 AM

After reviewing the board, disassembled, pulled out PSB and despite much hope all capacitors appear fine, no raising or bubbling. In fact it seems as though they are the upgraded capacitors that i read about somewhere in here. (the 2200uf16v and 1000uf35v). I then became hopeful reading that perhaps I could replace the PSB but as most of you know it is no longer available.

While the tv was unplugged and open, I cleaned out the fans and then put it back together. When plugged in and off the 'temp/standby' red-light remains on. Attempted to power up, did the jingle, LED light blinked a few times and now the tv is on with no issues. However when the tv is off the 'temp/standby' light remains on.

So...do I attempt to exchange capacitors, madly search for a PSB??
I don't believe it is the DMD ...but is it possible to be the light engine or LED module?
I bought this tv used so calling any Samsung folks is prob not an option. Any advice would be super even if it's to scrap it

Thanks
post #2862 of 2947 Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller21 View Post

Attempted to power up, did the jingle, LED light blinked a few times and now the tv is on with no issues. However when the tv is off the 'temp/standby' light remains on.

I think this is normal. On my 5687, the Temp/Standby light remains on while the TV is off. I am sure someone will correct me if this is different on the 5679.

Think of it as the TV is standying by, waiting to be turned on.

Alan Oliver
Tivo user since May 2000
post #2863 of 2947 Old 01-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Yep, my temp standby light stays on as well
post #2864 of 2947 Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taokane View Post

Hey everyone, DMD replacement board picture guy here. It's been many months since the repair and my TV is still going strong! Picture looks great and the tv has been stable if that makes any sense. A couple of notes: I replaced the thermal tape on the DLP chip with thermal grease. It's very important to use only a little tiny bit if this is something you choose to do. Otherwise it gets all over the DLP chip pins. Additionally, dont sweat too much the torque on the spring loaded screws, they seem to be very forgiving as far as how tight you get them.

First of all... Taokane, thanks much for posting the pictures. I don't think I would have attempted the self repair w/o them!

Ok, so I've been following this board on/off (pun unintended) for years now. I've replaced the PSB after the cycling problem hit, and that was relatively painless. This time, however, I encountered the "horizontal lines & ghost image of lower part of display at the top" problem.

Following this board, I knew what I needed to do. I went to Samsung's website for parts and it redirected me to "samsungparts dot com". I found the DMD there for about $350 (close to $400 w/ tax and ship). The part #BP96-01599A was described as "ASSY DMD BOARD P; LED - DLP, Phill"

i . imgur . com/SO7b6.jpg (sorry, can't post URLs yet)

I followed Taokane's pictures and description (scared the hell out of me when my hands got anywhere near that adjustment screw) and did the swap myself. After a couple of hours (had to run to Fry's Electronics for some electrical tape), my TV was as good as new. This was earlier today, so I'm hoping that the TV stays happy for a while.

Thanks again, folks! This enduring thread got me through another self-repair.
post #2865 of 2947 Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 PM

In case anyone is interested, here is the link to the DMD part:
(sorry, you'll have to piece the URL together)

www .samsungparts .com /Products/Parts_and_Accessories/PID-BP96-01599A.aspx?model=HLS5679W
post #2866 of 2947 Old 01-30-2012, 12:46 PM

My cousin gave me his HL-S5679W about a year and a half ago. I tinkered around for a few minutes and to my surprise it came on and i was able to play some guitar hero for about 20 minutes before it finally gave out for good. After searching high and low on the internet i concluded that the psb needed some work due to the common issue of the three flashing light syndrome. Last year at tax time i bought a psb online to find that they mislabeled the board and sent me the wrong one, and then wouldn't refund the part. I gave up on it for quite a while and just dug it out of the back room again. I robbed some caps from that new board and replaced all the 2200 and 1000 uf caps on the main power supply. Once i got it all put back together, it still doesn't turn on, but instead of all three blinking lights, its just the standby light/temp light and the timer light just blink, forever. Anybody got any ideas or is it time to just hang up the towel and trash this thing?
post #2867 of 2947 Old 01-30-2012, 06:14 PM

Well I decided to get my voltmeter out tonight and check the fuses on the main and sub power supply boards. The main psb checked out good, I was relieved to know I hadn't screwed that up with my small amount of soldering experience. When I checked the sub psb I had about .3 volts. I took that fuse out and replaced it with another fuse of the same rating, and sure enough the second I tried to fire up the TV, she blew. I'm glad I think I have isolated the problem to the sub psb, but not sure if its something I can fix or if I have to replace the whole board. I didn't see any problems with the caps on the board, but the yellow thing, not really sure what it is, has a very small spot on the underside of the board where it looks like it may have gotten warm. Not sure if that's something that is easy to change or where to get one. I included a pic of the piece, the code on the board is TL802

Attachment 235791

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?
LL
post #2868 of 2947 Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 AM

I definitely wouldn't trash the whole TV. If you've decided not to pursue repairing it any further and the power board is the only issue, you can sell the good parts on ebay especially the DMD board which is much sought after by owners of this model.
post #2869 of 2947 Old 02-02-2012, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[quote=Roskom;21571638]Last year at tax time i bought a psb online to find that they mislabeled the board and sent me the wrong one, and then wouldn't refund the part.

Hi,

I am also looking for a power supply. Please list the name of the company that sent you the wrong one so I will be sure not to order from them.

Thanks,
John
post #2870 of 2947 Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 AM

I'm currently having the power cycle problem with my tv. I removed the power board today #BP96-01494A

I was hoping someone on here could tell me what I need to do in order to diagnose the issue and see if I need to replace the capacitors or not. I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Here are some pics of the board

post #2871 of 2947 Old 02-02-2012, 01:40 PM

blobula,
Do a search on this thread, but the short answer is on the bottom picture, looks for caps with bulging/leaking tops. The second from the left looks like it's shot, I'm sure there's probably more.
post #2872 of 2947 Old 02-03-2012, 02:44 PM

Thank you Taokane. I went back and found the step-by-step guide with pics and dove into this process myself. I've never done this before so hope you don't mind if I ask questions to make sure I'm doing it right and getting the right capacitors.

From looking at the power supply I located 2 capacitors that were bulging at the top. Nothing was leaking or nothing had exploded but the two I pulled look to be problems.

Here is a shot of the board with the 2 capacitors pull and the heat sink detached. (this was a pain to unattach for me) I don't see any other capacitors that might be problems, however I'm not sure what to look for with the capacitors wrapped in the black. There are 4 of them.

Here are the two I pulled. Can't really tell from the pic I don't think.

One is 1000uf 25v the other is 1500uf 10v. My understanding is I should replace these with 2200uf 16v. Correct?

This are the Replacement Capacitors I was looking at.
post #2873 of 2947 Old 02-03-2012, 03:25 PM

I had one if the caps that had bulged and started leaking on the bottom instead if the top, and I've heard of others that have had the problem too. Since they are cheap you may want to replace all the capacitors that size on the board to save you from removing the heat sink 4 times like I did. The place that sold me the wrong board was discount merchant. I don't think you have to worry since the only place you will find a board is from someone with a used one. When I called and told them they sent the wrong board with a sticker on it with all the right info, they said they likely wouldn't refund it because I should have verified by the pictures online. And if they would refund it, they would charge me a 30% restocking fee. I was so mad I kept it all together, at least I had some caps to steal for my board.
post #2874 of 2947 Old 02-03-2012, 03:28 PM

As for my problem, I was able to find a sub psb on eBay for a good price, should be here in the next couple days and it should have this thing working. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
post #2875 of 2947 Old 02-04-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Check out post 2592 for bad cap pics.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18032654
post #2876 of 2947 Old 02-07-2012, 10:48 AM

Well I got my sub psb yesterday, hooked it up and still had two flashing lights. So I logged on to the internet and ordered yet another 175 bucks worth if parts including a fan controller board, fan kit, and the other power board that mounts next to the sub. This is starting to get really old, at some point this stupid thing has got to work.
post #2877 of 2947 Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 PM

Roskom, could you post or PM me where you got the parts and also the part #'s?
post #2878 of 2947 Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Thanks to this thread I was able to repair my Samsung tv on my own and replace the bad capacitors on the power supply. TV is back to working like new! $13 total cost for repair. Hopefully this baby last a little while longer.
post #2879 of 2947 Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 AM

Had capacitor problem and replaced power board with one ordered from Encompass in October 2009. Since the capacitor problem is probably caused by heat, I bought from Newegg an Noctua NF-B9 multi speed computer case fan along with a 12V power adapter (total cost about $35 if I remember right). Cut opening in grill opposite power board and have fan blowing in on lowest speed (very quiet can barely hear it running). Have the power adapter plugged into outlet controlled by wall switch so just have to remember to turn in on when TV is in use and I turn it off a few minutes after TV is turned off to allow additional cool down time. It does work, have not had any problems since. With the air blowing in it is probably also helping in cooling the other components in the set as the air can exit the slots in the grill on the other side of the TV. Attached a picture of fan
LL
post #2880 of 2947 Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 AM

Forgot to mention that I did cut a circular hole in the grill when I mounted the fan so as not to impeed the air flow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page