AVS Forum banner

Samsung HLS-5679W LED DLP Owners Thread (*NO PRICE TALK)

612K views 3K replies 489 participants last post by  p1mrx 
#1 ·
Samsung 2006 HLS5679W (1080p) Series Owner's thread

FAQs:

1. LED light engine replaces the UHP bulb and color wheel.

2. Only available in 56".

3. RBE is assumed to be eliminated.

4. Stated power consumption 230W / Measured consumption ~180W ( Details ).

5. There is very little fan noise - it is only detectable from the side air vent at close range.

6. Overscan will remain off. ( How To )

7. Starter Settings

8. *** How to fix the power cycling issue
Samsung Links:
Product Page
PDF Spec Sheet
Quick Guide (ver. 1.0)
User Manual (ver. 1.0)
SamsungParts.com
Service Manual order form
Other Links:
Current and Future Samsung LED Owners Thread
Samsung HLS xx87/xx88 Tech Links
Just what's inside a Sammy 'S' 1080 DLP?
Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models
Samsung 71" 1080P DLP HL-S7178W (owners)

** Let me know if there is additional information that should be posted here. **

See less See more
#2,452 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by magester /forum/post/16571683

Ok - So I still havent had anyone out to take a look at the TV because I really dont want to shell out any money for this stupid TV.

It turns out that my TV is still under my "credit card" warranty, and the credit card company will foot the bill to fix or replace the unit... (should be common to Visa purchases). The specific warrantly doubles the 1 year manufacturers warranty for any of you that have experienced issues withing 2 years of purchase!!

However, the only issue is that I need an estimate from a repair shop that says they can not fix the unit. Does anyone have an estimate that states the unit is not fixable? I would like to use this as a reference in hopes that I don't have to take the time to setup my own appointment for them to take a look. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help out and I would certainly be more than willing to outline a little more on what I have been going through with Visa.

Thanks!

OK - quick update for those of you that are following... hopefully someone else can benefit from my experience...

So I created an invoice with the parts that I thought that I would need replaced - total came to $1,349. Most repair shops can do this for you without checking out the TV if you call and ask for part quotes. I submitted this to both Visa and Samsung. Visa took 5 days and called me offering to give me the $$ for the repair or use it towards a replacement. I took the money and basically got all my money back for the TV.

After being persistant with Samsung, they told me there is nothing they can do because the TV is too far out of warranty. I thoroughly let them know how unhappy I was with their stance. Samsung did tell me though that they are required to ensure that parts are available for the TV for atleast 7 years after the model release. From what I have heard, it seems that there are quite a few parts that are not available. I plan to call in and mention that there are parts I need that are not available in hopes that they offer me an "upgrade". I will keep everyone posted. Let me know if anyone is interested in the Visa warranty program - I am sure that other cc companies have the same types of policies (I know AMEX has an superior policy to Visa). Good luck all!

#2,454 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to the board. I've owned the HLS-5679W since June 2007. Unfortunately I didn't buy an extended warranty. Up until a month ago I was extremely happy with this tv. It now has a power cycling issue. Also, separate from that issue, it has developed a pinkish hue over entire image when using either HDMI input.

So, looks like I have a lot of reading to do

I will be studying the message board to see where to go from here. I'm pretty good with soldering, so all options are on the table!

#2,455 ·
Hi everyone. I stumbled upon this thread after my Samsung HLS-5679W died today.

I purchased this TV almost exactly 2 years to the day (July 14, 2007), and have had to get it serviced on two occasions since i've had it. Almost immediately after I got it, I had to get the LED driver replaced. And just last November I had the power supply board changed because my tv would cycle on and off whenever I tried to run anything through any of the inputs, if I didn't let the set warm up for about 20-30 minutes.

As I mentioned this morning my TV has failed completely. Whenever I hit the power button I hear the brief clicking inside, but the Mario Bros.-like melody doesn't play like usual. The screen brightens up a bit like it's about to turn on, but the screen remains black, and the LED light just keeps blinking off and on. Eventually that slight brightness that appears on screen disappears and the TV shuts off automatically, after about 2-3 minutes. Also the symptoms that were happening before, regarding the power cycling when using inputs, was happening again prior to it failing today.

My question is, would changing the capacitors fix this, or could it be something else that completely caused my TV not to turn on anymore? Thanks in advance for the help.

#2,456 ·
You might want to do a search in this thread on "capacitors" and "cycling". I certainly can't say for sure, but it sounds similar to my problem and it was indeed the caps. I pulled the PSB myself, took it to a shop and told him I needed the cap replacements put on the other side of the board so it wouldn't happen again. It only took a few hours and cost $80.

#2,457 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla /forum/post/16766797

I've had an absolute horrible experience with my HLS-5679W. My TV gets very low usage, maybe at most 10 hours a month, yet I'm now on my second TV failure.

The first failure occurred within a year of purchasing the unit so thankfully it was still under warranty. I had a professional Samsung tech look at it and he had to replace the entire LED engine.

The second failure just occurred today. The TV won't turn on and I get a blinking Timer/Stand BY, Temp, LED indicator on the power button. The manual states that the lamp (I assume the LED engine in this case) could be defective and I should contact a certified technician.

The TV is no longer under warranty and from what I gather this could be a very expensive repair. I'm just floored that this TV has been plagued by so many problems, especially considering the immaculate condition I have kept it in and the very low usage I have put into it.

I believe I'm not alone here so I ask what type of charge can I expect to have a field technician come out and inspect the TV and how much would it cost on average to replace the LED engine (if that is truly the malfunctioning part)?

Personally, at this point in time I have my doubts that even if I had the TV professionally repaired that it would not fail once again down the road :-(

Getting in touch with Samung's executive customer service is a pain to say the least. After a brief talk with one of their representatives I was told that I would need to have a certified technician run a diagnostic test on the TV and submit the test results plus the original bill of receipt to executive customer service before any further steps could be taken. Of course since the TV is no longer under warranty the cost to run the diagnostic would come out of my wallet. They would not comment on what type of resolutions would be available if the diagnostic relieved that the original faulty part (LED engine) failed again. They also said even if the same part failed again they would not reimburse me for the test.

From my standpoint this seems to be a pretty big gamble. Assuming the LED engine did fail again, who knows what they will offer me. Will this just be a waste of time and money? I'm totally at their disposal. I've been a happy and repeat Samsung customer up until now :-(

#2,458 ·
Does this still have the old capacitors that will eventually blow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsdaddy /forum/post/16708820

I had posted back in the fall of 2008 that my TV died. A friend of mine replaced the capacitors...but I think we may have missed one under the heatsink. Anywho, the TV died again last week. I ordered a new board (BP96-01494A) from Partstore on Friday, it arrived today and we're back up and running...

...but for how long? Now I can get the original board repaired again and keep it as a spare. Unfortunately I have to wait for another friend to help me move the Sony CRT beast back into the garage so I can move the Samsung back by myself.

#2,459 ·
Hi all,

I someehow ripped two of these while fiddling around inside my Samsung 5679

It is the wire connector that goes into the board labeled RGB LED Connector.

One of these plugged into the part labeled RED and the other into BLUE.

I have no idea what this is called so I can't do a search on Google to buy them.

Please help.

estwd

#2,460 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus77 /forum/post/16201032

Also, anyone tried one of these:

There was a URL here but I had to remove it because this is my first post. This is from post #2330

Seems to be the correct part number... interesting.

Same old story. I have had my set for just under 2 years. It's been working great until this week. Then wouldn't turn on. I found this thread and last night was able to finally get it to turn on after 10 minutes of power cycling. I pulled the board last night and sure enough 2 caps are leaking and 2 or 3 others are bulging. Right now I think I am going to replace 8 caps with same sizes but mount them underneath. I ordered those caps last night.

My question is about this earlier post that showed the board available through samsugparts.com. Anyone have any idea if this board has been re-engineered at all with better caps or different placement to get them away from the heat sink. I thought I read somewhere in the 82 pages that Samsung had problems with the original manufactuer of this board and fired them making the boards hard to find for a time. Then they contracted with a new company to start manufacturing them again and these new boards are better and again available. Am I making this up? I think I had a few halucinations somewhere around page 78...

As others have said, I don't what I would have done without this site. I love the internet. Thanks for all the help.

Pralnwuf

#2,461 ·
please see my old posts abotu what went down ..#2383 and 2370

basicially sammy ecr send out home service to fix my tv free , he replaced the board and it was all good ...worked again fine , UNTILLLLLL... friday july 10...was watching the game, went to get a beer and came back .. 3 lights again .. lol

too late to call ... so i called sat ... put in the ticket got a call back monday morning ... ecr said they would take care of it ... called home sevice network and scheduled an appt for this past fri. july 17. now the guy from home service network has been the same guy all 3 times he has come out ... wich is good ... he is very knoledgable .. he came once for an old sammy dlp 50 , one of the firlst that sammy came out with and its actually still working great after soo many years lol ... and he came the last time for the 3 light issue .. and he came this past fri ... he brought a handtruck with 4 big boxes and i watched him work , i swear he replace every part in the tv lol but there was one part ( i think the led engine) that he said he did not have , he said he was going to look to see if it was available , if it was it woudl take 2 weeks to get, if not he would reccomenned to have the tv replaced ... it was nuts seeing all the new stuff he put in the tv and it still woudl not work .. lol ...ill keep everyone updated as this pans out ...

#2,462 ·
well spoke to ecr .. and they say the part was ordered and is on backorder as the tech said ... i pushed a little and said i cant wait 2 weeks as its already been over a week that its out of commission already... they said that if i havent heard back in 2 weeks i should call back to see what can be done .. ugg this is terrible as i have a big family gatering coming up ... this is not fair to be waiting for somthign that shoudl not be broken ... bs ...

#2,463 ·
well...after reading this thread for hours, I realize I am in the same boat.

bought my unit in 1/07 and never had any issues. Very little use with this unit, maybe 15 hrs/month.

Turned on yesterday and getting all 3 lights blinking on power button. Called samsung and they seem to think it's the LED engine which is about $800.

After reading this, it seems it may be the powering issue everyone else is describing. They linked me up with a local repair shop. Should I have this tech come out and fix? If so, how much and is it worth it?

This is unbelieveable and inexcusable!! A TV of this price should last forever! I love this new TV technology, but a tube TV lasted for 30 yrs with no issues! So ticked off about the way these companies treat customers! Power of the people!!

#2,465 ·
update on my situation ... ecr approved ny exchange for the ln52b550 plus the out of warantee fee.. while im not crazy about the downgrade in size 56-52 , i can live with that and the only other thing is the 60h as opposed to 120h refresh rate .. now , i dont have a blue ray and dont even watch too many dvds... and from what ive read it uses 2:2 pulldown now 3:2 so it actually displays the 24fps video pretty well for a tv wit 60hz ref ... other than that , the tweaks got great reviews and overall its a new tv, new warnatee and ill get an extended warnatee as well on my own ..and i wont have to deal with any of this bs ...

for all of you out there that need parts ... the tech was at my house last fri as i said, he replaced everything inside the tv new except for the led engine.. so pm me if you want any parts ... im flexible and i will ship them ups ... thks ..

#2,466 ·
Parts came in yesterday and I did the repairs last night. I replaced all 8 caps with the same size, but back mounted them all. Going with the original specs allowed them to all be small enough to fit inside the bracket. Took about 3 hours taking my time. Set fired right up. I'm back in business again. Thanks again for all the help on this.

#2,467 ·
Hello Forum. I've owned mine since December 06. I've had the power cycling issue for a couple days now, but last night I got the three flashing led's of death. Did some research, which is how I found this thread.

I just contacted ECR and they've started their "process". More to come, but I can't tell you how much better I feel after reading this thread. Also, a question, the power supply part is available on the SamsungParts site, is this a new/improved version of the one that's in the set now that seems everyone is having issues with, or does it have the same problems?

I'm hoping the ECR will send someone out to go through the set and fix it at no cost to me, but if not, I'm looking at buying that board and replacing it myself.....thoughts? Thanks again for all the info here, and if there does end up being a class action on this set, count me in! Regards.

#2,468 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbearsfan1 /forum/post/16880128

Hello Forum. I've owned mine since December 06. I've had the power cycling issue for a couple days now, but last night I got the three flashing led's of death. Did some research, which is how I found this thread.

I just contacted ECR and they've started their "process". More to come, but I can't tell you how much better I feel after reading this thread. Also, a question, the power supply part is available on the SamsungParts site, is this a new/improved version of the one that's in the set now that seems everyone is having issues with, or does it have the same problems?

I'm hoping the ECR will send someone out to go through the set and fix it at no cost to me, but if not, I'm looking at buying that board and replacing it myself.....thoughts? Thanks again for all the info here, and if there does end up being a class action on this set, count me in! Regards.

I asked the same question about the power supply board that is available and got no response, so I went ahead and did the repairs to my existing board. The repairs were not that difficult. Replacing the board with a new one would be a snap. My guess is that the replacement board is going to have the same size caps in the same position under the heat sink. Otherwise there would have been a lot of chatter on this thread about a new board available for $120 that addressed the design flaw. Let us know which direction you head.

Pralnwuf

#2,469 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC233 /forum/post/16857872

well...after reading this thread for hours, I realize I am in the same boat.

bought my unit in 1/07 and never had any issues. Very little use with this unit, maybe 15 hrs/month.

Turned on yesterday and getting all 3 lights blinking on power button. Called samsung and they seem to think it's the LED engine which is about $800.

After reading this, it seems it may be the powering issue everyone else is describing. They linked me up with a local repair shop. Should I have this tech come out and fix? If so, how much and is it worth it?

This is unbelieveable and inexcusable!! A TV of this price should last forever! I love this new TV technology, but a tube TV lasted for 30 yrs with no issues! So ticked off about the way these companies treat customers! Power of the people!!

Update on ECR. Waited 3 days and they were no help since my unit is out of warranty. They said they can send someone out from their authorized service center to look at it.

I'm debating whether I should try the cap fix myself (that is a scary option since I've never done anything like that) or just buy a new board from the website. I found one for $75 on a web search.

I took the board out last night and didn't see any major visible issues to the caps. One looks like it has some slight leakage at the top. This is one of the larger caps (220uF 25V).

I've read through a lot of this info which has been VERY helpful but I don't have any soldering equipment and wondering if I can even pull it off.

Let me know your thoughts/experiences with this.

So disappointing that I bought this b/c of the newer LED technology over the lamp version and spent the extra bucks only to have it crap out 2.5 yrs later! Very frustrating and disappointing.

Thanks for the help all!

#2,470 ·
If you aren't comforatable doing the repairs yourself you can take the board to a local repair shop. They should do what you ask them to do. It's not like you are voiding the warranty.

I had done a little soldering before this, but nothing to this extent. I did some practicing first on old PC power supplies. I had 3 old PCs in the attic and decided to take the power supplies apart to see if there were any cap in them I could use. There weren't but I decided to practice de-soldering. It helped. I got a de-soldering vacuum from Radio Shack for $10.

I do wish someone would answer our question about whether the power supply board has been redesigned. Good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions.

Don't be too dissapointed with the TV. I initially had the same reaction. I too did my research and specifically went with the LED tv to avoid problems and have a set that would last a long time. This board is a totally seperate part the I don't think really bears on the quality of the true TV components. There have been very few problems listed on this thread with the actually engine. At least that's the hope I am hanging on to. :)

Pralnwuf

#2,471 ·
Here are a couple of shots....notice the caps right up against the heatsink! Is this the way everyone else's looked when they took them out?

Just wondering, seems like this board has lots more caps then I've been reading about.

Clearly a couple are swollen and leaking, I can't even see the big one back under the heatsink...it's totally pressed against the heatsink!

Any comments? I've ordered the replacement of this part (BP96-01494A), hopefully will get it on Tuesday and see if this is my problem.

Thanks for the input.

#2,472 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo /forum/post/16733180

I ordered the following capacitors (stock values) from DigiKey:

493-1564-ND x2

493-1500-ND x2

493-1558-ND x4

Mounting them to the back of the board was relatively easy. My Tv works again

Is there any stores that sell these caps? Or is online the only place to get these?

Tried radio shack but didn't carry these exact caps.

Anyone have any luck other than on the web? Trying to find them today.

#2,473 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbearsfan1 /forum/post/16891227

Here are a couple of shots....notice the caps right up against the heatsink! Is this the way everyone else's looked when they took them out?

Just wondering, seems like this board has lots more caps then I've been reading about.

Clearly a couple are swollen and leaking, I can't even see the big one back under the heatsink...it's totally pressed against the heatsink!

Any comments? I've ordered the replacement of this part (BP96-01494A), hopefully will get it on Tuesday and see if this is my problem.

Thanks for the input.

I see a few culprits there that I would replace, staring with the one that is bulging up to the heatsink and has brown crud coming out of it.

If the new one works, let me know, I'll take the old one off of your hands.

#2,474 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC233 /forum/post/16891352

Is there any stores that sell these caps? Or is online the only place to get these?

Tried radio shack but didn't carry these exact caps.

Anyone have any luck other than on the web? Trying to find them today.

I couldn't find any stores in my area that had them, and Radio shack had inferior ones, even if they were the right size. There used to be a few stores local that would have had them, but I think online sales lead to their downfall. I ordered mine from digi-key late Friday night and had them in NC on Wednesday.

#2,475 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbearsfan1 /forum/post/16891227

Thanks for the input.

I would replace all 8 of the larger ones. That what I did. I didn't want to have to do it again. As I said before I back mounted them to get them away from the heat. If you order the same caps listed earlier from digi-key they will fit on the back without hitting the mounting plate.

I just had a co-worker who was an EE in college look at your pictures. He just shook his head...

#2,476 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pralnwuf /forum/post/16897036

I couldn't find any stores in my area that had them, and Radio shack had inferior ones, even if they were the right size. There used to be a few stores local that would have had them, but I think online sales lead to their downfall. I ordered mine from digi-key late Friday night and had them in NC on Wednesday.

Thanks for your help. I ended up just taking to a local repair shop and the replaced the caps for me for $85. Worked like a charm.

They replaced the 2 larger sizes and the two on the end.

Fired right up; another one bites the dust here. Seems like everyone has been consistent on here with the fix. I ordered some back ups in case it goes again and next time I will give it a go myself. The tech there said these TVs just get too hot and that's why these caps fail.

Anyway, thanks for the help all and if anyone has any questions let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.