Purchased: August 8th, 2006
Build date: July 3rd, 2006
Firmware revision: 1.0
Startup time: 10 secs. (between pushing power on remote until the picture is displayed)
DVD: Samsung DVD-HD860
STB: Dish 301
AVR: Panasonic SA-XR57K
Remote: Harmony 520
My first impression was not so good viewing SD content from Dish. I then modified the settings to display in the normal 4:3 size, set the Mode to Standard, and used the settings recommended by Eliab for the xx88's. Dish looks much better now and is pretty close to the quality of my old CRT. (But MUCH bigger!
DVD content is excellent.
OTA content ranges between excellent and horrible. I don't have an antenna hooked up yet, using speaker wire until I can find one.
Issues reported by xx87/xx88 owners:
1) I have no screen smudges or triangles.
2) The coax input is warm but not hot.
3) I have slight pincushioning on 4:3 content. It's about 1/8th of an inch. Noticable but not distracting.
4) The geometry on widescreen content appears perfect but I measured that it tilts about 1/16th of an inch.
1) Brightness starts to drop off around 50 degrees off center and remains decent until around 70 degrees.