Mitsubishi WD52631 vs Sony 50" WEGA (SXRD) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 08-21-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am contemplating purchasing one of these two units. Being that they are so new does anyone have any experience with either one? Comments would be welcome as to performance.

Former VOOMER.....now former DISH-er
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-23-2006, 05:59 AM

No. Seriously, I've seen both in the stores and although the SXRD looks better to me (picture and cabinet), I'm concerned about potential blob issues, etc. Hopefully, someone can do a more comprehensive comparison.
post #3 of 23 Old 08-23-2006, 07:24 AM

I've spent some time comparing the 2 models.
As to which one to buy, it's a coin toss.

If you spend enough time researching and viewing any current HDTV, you'll find that the perfect TV does not exist today. Each technology, DLP, LcOS, LDC, etc. has it's strengths and weaknesses. The same with each manufacturer, Sony, Mitsubishi, Samsung, etc. has their good points & weaknesses.

I'm going to be buying in a week or two and here's how these 2 models stack up.
Features such as HD tuners, connectivity (2 HDMI, component in, etc. seem similar to me). Brightness & contrast also seem more than adequate to me on both models.

WD-52631
Strengths:
Larger screen (52" vs 50") in the same size box (within 1/2" in HxWxD).
A lot of TV for the $$, local street prices here is $400 less than the KDS-50A2000
Weaknesses:
Has the same "wavey-wateryness" that I see on all DLP TVs on some scenes.
DLP light engine has the color wheel, which adds moving mechanical parts that can fail.
Some people see color rainbows on DLP - I don't see any on the 52631, but you might.
Mitusbishi has taken some knocks on reliability

KDS-50A2000 (SXRD)
Strengths:
Sony reputation for quaility & reliability
3 panel LcOS system has less moving parts, should be more reliable.
No color rainbows with LcOS display.
Weaknesses:
Smaller screen 50" vs 52"
Costs ~$400 more
Potential "Green Blob" problem that many SXRDs have.

An important capability of any HDTV is the ability of the computer(s) inside them to scale the input signal (SD, 720pHD, 1080iHD & 1080pHD) to the native display (1080p). From my viewing both sets show 720p HD very well and do a good job on SD. The Sony looks fantastic on a real 1080p source (Sony demo disk). Unfortunately I have not yet seen the 52631 running a true 1080p source.
post #4 of 23 Old 08-23-2006, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

351CJ -- Thanks for the evaluation. I had not heard of the green "blob" thing. I have heard of the "rainbow effect" but have never seen it on demos. MY other option (and I am moving in that direction) is to stick with CRT RP's like the one I have. I am assuming that A. they are less exensive now and B they have been greatly improved since the early days. Most of my TV watching consists of HD movies on DISH with some occasional sports. Thanks again for the evaluaton.

post #5 of 23 Old 08-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdickerson View Post

351CJ -- Thanks for the evaluation. I had not heard of the green "blob" thing. I have heard of the "rainbow effect" but have never seen it on demos. MY other option (and I am moving in that direction) is to stick with CRT RP's like the one I have. I am assuming that A. they are less exensive now and B they have been greatly improved since the early days. Most of my TV watching consists of HD movies on DISH with some occasional sports. Thanks again for the evaluaton.

It's hard to find any new CRT-based RP sets for sale.

As to the Green Blob, there's lots of good discussion in the 2005 Sony KDS-xxXBR1 Owners' Thread .

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #6 of 23 Old 08-23-2006, 10:02 AM

DjDickerson;
I own a 52631 and the alternative set I looked at was, in fact, the 50A2000. Being a cheap-skate, and really not having much time to watch TV, I bought the 52631 based on the cost vs. performance value.
I find that the unit does a great job on processing the 1080i from my cable box, and has very low video noise on all sources. In "Natural" mode I don't see wavy effect and the colors are perfect looking. The Mitsubishi also has a DVI input and 1394 ports for the beneft of peple who like to connect easily to PCs and/or digital recorders.
I would say the picture is quite stunning and at least equal to the Sony on 98% of images. BUT, the 2% is where it falls down compared to the Sony; on very dark scenes or in very dark areas of the screen, it loses on shadow detail to the Sony.
Since you say you plan to watch more movies than sports, I would recommend that you spend a little more and go with the Sony or; save even more and get CRT set if you don't mind the physical size and can control the ambient light in the room.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-23-2006, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks SOURCERY for the Sony reference containing some descriptions of the "blob" problem.After reading some first hand experiences about the Sony all I can say is "ARRRRGHHH!!! I'll bet they will not replace those sets unless a class action suit is filed. In my own case with Hitachi and the constant failure of Magic Focus nothing was done until the tech. people had spent a fortune in replaced parts and time on my set (2 years) Good reason to have a service contract. Yet those who have Sonys without the problem seem to have outstanding picture quality.

RE: LEGGS comments: Thanks for your info. I guess I would really like to see how the Mitsubishi performs when watching movies and yes I can control the ambient light in my room.

Now, regarding the two sets: (Sony A2000 SXRD & Mitsubishi WD52631) I noticed something after looking at these two sets in the store today. Mitsubishi states that the resolution is 1080progressive while Sony states that the A2000 has 1080p picture quality. Each time Sony mentions 1080p they add the words"picture quality." What is that? Sony never says the set has a 1080p resolution yet Mitsubish does. Is this a subtle difference or not? I don't know. Any ideas or am I gettng too "picky?"

post #8 of 23 Old 08-23-2006, 06:56 PM

I've seen the references to "Full HD 1080p picture quality".

However the Sony Web site says:
Quote:

SXRD Panels SXRD technology is the latest display technology developed by the legendary television engineers at Sony to meet and exceed the demands of a High Definition image at its full 1080 line resolution. Digitally transmitted High Definition signals can contain over 2 million individual detail points that need to be displayed accurately and rapidly. SXRD displays those 2 million detail points per SXRD panel accurately since the 3 SXRD panels actually contain enough pixels to fully display a 1080 line picture without interlacing it. SXRD has the speed to create a smooth, film like image. The SXRD panels have a blistering 2.5ms response time (total rise and fall time), which exceeds the demands of even the most rapidly moving High Definition images. And SXRD creates highly accurate, natural colors because the 3-panel design displays all the colors, all the time.

The data sheet also says:
Quote:

Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Horizontal Center: Yes

Native Resolution: 1080p

The only thing I can think of why Sony is saying it the way they are is to point out that the new SXRDs are actual 1080p vs the old SXRD models that had 1080p displays but did not accept 1080p input signals (1080i max).
post #9 of 23 Old 08-23-2006, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

351CJ: "The only thing I can think of why Sony is saying it the way they are is to point out that the new SXRDs are actual 1080p vs the old SXRD models that had 1080p displays but did not accept 1080p input signals (1080i max)."

Good point. This last line must explain it as I had read about the older Sony's and the 1080p input problems. (still afraid of the dreaded "green blob.")

After reading a piece by Mr. Bob I am again leaning toward the RP CRT Hitachi 57F59.

post #10 of 23 Old 09-01-2006, 08:57 PM

I am facing the same dilemma. Got it narrowed down to these two TV's. Leaning towards the Sony because there is so much more information on that particualr set from other buyers.

Not a whole heck of a lot of feedback about the WD52631 from users.
post #11 of 23 Old 09-14-2006, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairnwulf View Post

I am facing the same dilemma. Got it narrowed down to these two TV's. Leaning towards the Sony because there is so much more information on that particualr set from other buyers.

Not a whole heck of a lot of feedback about the WD52631 from users.

Any feedback from Mits 52631 owners out there? I was leaning strongly to the A2000, but this green blob problem is getting on my nerves. It seems these reports are getting much more frequent now.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-18-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFoley View Post

Any feedback from Mits 52631 owners out there? I was leaning strongly to the A2000, but this green blob problem is getting on my nerves. It seems these reports are getting much more frequent now.

Why does the Mits 52631 fail to arouse any interest? Is there that big of a pq difference compared with the A2000 that makes this set generate so little fanfare?
post #13 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFoley View Post

We've had ours for just under 2 weeks and love it. Standard def looks OK if you set the picture to natural and turn the contrast down. 1080i over HDMI from a Comcast box looks great!

We seriously thought about the A2000, but the reliability issues and lack of ports swayed us to the 52631.

Mark
post #14 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 11:13 PM

From what I can gather, the "green blob" is not really much of a problem in the 2006 SXRD models as it was (so prevelant) in the 2005 models. So I don't think the green blob should be a problem for one of the newer sets.
post #15 of 23 Old 09-23-2006, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post

We've had ours for just under 2 weeks and love it. Standard def looks OK if you set the picture to natural and turn the contrast down. 1080i over HDMI from a Comcast box looks great!

We seriously thought about the A2000, but the reliability issues and lack of ports swayed us to the 52631.

Mark

How does it handle sports motion? Is there ever any motion blur? Any pq issues?
post #16 of 23 Old 09-25-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie C View Post

It looks great to me with a Comcast DVR box hooked up via HDMI.

Mark
post #17 of 23 Old 09-27-2006, 10:54 AM
pds

Just purchased one Monday night. Still in the process of setting it up.
post #18 of 23 Old 09-27-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie C View Post

I have had one of the first 52631 models since first week of August.
It handles motion as well as the source supports. The compression used in digital signals mean that there is some blocking when there is a lot of motion and the data rate can't keep up, and DLP seems to do less to hide that than other technologies. I find the set gives as good a picture as you will get from the source (see photo. The reflection you see on the screen was a worst case test I was doing of how it handles glare. The TV is opposite a south facing picture window with white wooden shades and I adjusted them to throw a lot of light on a summer afternoon, with the TV brightness low so I could see how the screen did. In actually watching it under those conditions, the reflections were hardly noticeable.)

As far as pq issues, based on in the store viewing, I would say the Sony does a slightly better job on shadow details when scenes have very low light levels, like about the dimmest couple percent.

For everything else including sports the color fidelity, clarity, brightness are stunning.
I'm using 1080i over component from a Moxie DVR/Cablebox, and set the picture to Natural, color temp low which seems to give the most accurate picture and least loss of shadow detail
LL
post #19 of 23 Old 10-04-2006, 02:54 PM

Entry level post on this great forum I recently discovered while I was trying to find some online user info on the Mitsubishi WD-52631.

I am considering the Mitsubishi WD-52631 TV and I hope you do not mind my questions.

1) Do the non HD channels look good?

2) Do the HD channels look awesome?

3) Is there any lag or blur when played with a console game like the Playstation 2?

4) Does NFL football in HD look great without any blurring around the players bodies when they are running?

5) What about action scenes in a movie [TV or DVD] like fighting or a car chase?

I will have to use Comcast with a HD DVR box if I buy the 52631. In my area the first 99 channels are only in analog, no matter what type of box you have.

I am fearful that the non HD pictures will not look good and frustrate me to the point that I regret buying the 52631.

Sounds like there needs to be a specific thread devoted to just the Mitsubishi WD-52631 since I have found more questions than answers for this TV?

Thanks in advance for your time and responses.
post #20 of 23 Old 10-07-2006, 08:03 PM

I have also been looking for an HD set and have yet to come to a conclusion. I was looking to stay under 50" but the footprint on that Mitsu 52631 looks like it might fit on my current stand.
Can anyone provide a measurement of the foot of the mitsu? Not the total width, just it's foot.
That picture Leggs provided really has me thinking about this set rather than the Sammy 5087!

One other question: Since the Mitsu has the 6-color wheel, does it also have HDMI 1.3?
post #21 of 23 Old 01-27-2007, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
sony overpriced
mitsubishi awesome tv
post #22 of 23 Old 10-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
If either set was to have some kind of malfunction or issue like the mit's color wheel crooking or green blob appearing on the Sony, which one is easier or less expensive to repair? I currently have a Sony KDFe42A10 and their are blue blobs on a good portion of different parts of the screen. Mostly visible on white and gray backgrounds.
post #23 of 23 Old 10-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
any takers?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page