SXRD vs. Plasma/LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I must admit I've been blown away by the PQ of the SXRDs when I've seen them in the showroom. To me, they look every bit as good as plasmas and LCDs. The price, however, seems to be substantially less. Sony's new 50" SXRD sells for $2799, while its new 46" LCD is in the $4300 range. I'm sure some of that has to do with the projection aspect of the SXRD (which keeps its price down). But this makes me wonder...

Does the "cheaper" technology of the SXRD mean its life span will be shorter or that its PQ may be more prone to deteriorating down the road?

And how do all of you feel it stacks up against plasma and LCD, just from a personal preference standpoint?

I've seen the pros of the SXRDs. What are the cons?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Flat panel TVs (Plama and LCD)are more expensive to manufactuer then Real Projection TVs which accounts for the price difference For those who want a TV mounted on a wall due to spalce restirictions or other raasons and have another location for thier STBs they are the ony solution.
In a review I read about 6 months ago the Sony 2005 model SXRDs were rated as having superionr PQ over all other 2005 model HDTVs Flat panel or Rear Projection.
post #3 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 03:36 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

In a review I read about 6 months ago the Sony 2005 model SXRDs were rated as having superionr PQ over all other 2005 model HDTVs Flat panel or Rear Projection.

That probably wasn't a very credible review. Being a previous owner of 2 SXRD's I can tell you that opinion is flawed.
post #4 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 03:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

I agree with walford. The cons is that it isn't as slim as plasma/lcd. SXRD viewing angle may not be as wide as plasma/lcd, but who cares if you can't enjoy the set at a viewing angle greater than 145 degrees. If you want a 1080p flat panel in the same size range as SXRD you are going to pay a mint.
post #5 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

That probably wasn't a very credible review. Being a previous owner of 2 SXRD's I can tell you that opinion is flawed.

WHO ARE YOU???

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #6 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I KNOW WHAT'S FLAWED & IT'S NOT THE SXRD!
Quote:

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #7 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Blind people shouldn't buy expensive TVs.

EVERY SXRD review has given them top ratings.
post #8 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 06:26 PM

I am shopping for the 52" Bravia LCD (and to a lesser extent, the 46") out this fall. If there was a 50-55" XBR (with the ears), I'd still cross-shop the SXRD. Auditor has successfully scared me off of buying a 2005 50XBR1. Before that, I was concerned that the SXRD picture was not quite as sharp as the LCD FP, but handled motion better. And the cost difference is huge! There's a big gap in the sony line right now for XBR lovers between 46-60" And I would like to wall mount if I can.

If I could buy an XBR1, with a year guarantee allowing me to upgrade to the Bravia if something went wrong, I'd buy the SXRD. But I cant think of a place that would do that.
post #9 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 154
OK? Why in the world do you need a YEAR?

Many stores offer thirty days - why would you need more than 30 days? Are you going to sit around for a year and wait for something to go wrong or Auditor55 to continue his report on his experience despites the tens of thousands of happy owners?

Get the TV if you love the PQ with an extended warranty that's reasonable and enjoy your TV with peace of mind. I'm not saying Auditor55 experienced didn't occur but he has an obvious obsession and if a poll were taken on who leads in ignore lists selection he'll be there and I may even be there for Plasma as I'm pretty despised over there because many owners misrepresent or are in denial of the faults PDP's have and misrepresenting it's shortcomings can be expensive for those taking that useless advice offered over there by those that seem to love reflective panels that get washed out by the sun.

I can tell you for a fact that I am still haunted by the PQ of the SXRD even though my Sharp 45" LCD is fantastic you cannot make up for the 15" size increase or the black and shadow details of the SXRD in HD without the flaws some experienced on this forum.

Buy what you Love and use that 30 days - no one except COSTCO is going to give you such a guarantee and they carry generalized selection rarely the current sets unless they aren't selling.

Have you ever seen an aisle of 1 year TV's at any store? Someone would have to eat the loss and the store is a box mover they are not a leasing company and if they were you'd end up paying about triple for the leased panel. Go check a Renta Center sometime on the crap people rent as TV's they could've bought it 2-3 times over in the end.

Thirty days serves you and the B&M to give them time to move the item as open box with break-in hours versus used and God knows how bad TV. BTW the 52" Bravia and the Samsung 52" both should be excellent panels so I'm not saying either is better - only you can decide that as to what WoW's you.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #10 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post

I must admit I've been blown away by the PQ of the SXRDs when I've seen them in the showroom. To me, they look every bit as good as plasmas and LCDs. The price, however, seems to be substantially less. Sony's new 50" SXRD sells for $2799, while its new 46" LCD is in the $4300 range. I'm sure some of that has to do with the projection aspect of the SXRD (which keeps its price down). But this makes me wonder...

Does the "cheaper" technology of the SXRD mean its life span will be shorter or that its PQ may be more prone to deteriorating down the road?

And how do all of you feel it stacks up against plasma and LCD, just from a personal preference standpoint?

I've seen the pros of the SXRDs. What are the cons?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

For many, LCOS v. plasma/lcd comes down to personal preference. Some people who wish to sit close to the set can't abide the SDE from a 768p plasma and want the better blacks that LCOS will deliver over lcd. Or they have glare issues (like Westa) with watching plasma during the day (Pio beats Panny oin this regard). Plus, a big lcd or plasma is major $$. Others are bothered by the SSE of LCOS sets or don't want to deal with bulb replacements, so it's really a name your poison.

Go Duke !
post #11 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

OK? Why in the world do you need a YEAR?

Thirty days serves you and the B&M to give them time to move the item as open box with break-in hours versus used and God knows how bad TV. BTW the 52" Bravia and the Samsung 52" both should be excellent panels so I'm not saying either is better - only you can decide that as to what WoW's you.

I guess the "year", because some here claim you're never "safe" from the green issues until too late, or you don't notice in time, etc...

I've been a Westa fan ever since I've found AVS - his experiences sound similar to what I've found in the real world - wife hates bulky form factor TV's, hate relections and don't think I should have to modify my house near the beach to resemble a boarded up foreclosure to block all light, hate the prices on the larger FP LCD's...

But you have to give props to a guy (Westa) who continues to give honest, friendly advice, despite taking constant flak from the Panny/PDP-bots!

I think I'll try to wait for that 52" Sony/Sammy in person, and keep an eye out for old stock 50XBR1's locally, if any could possibly be around by then.
post #12 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I'm enjoying the debate, and feeling good about SXRD despite Auditor's warnings.

Trackman, please forgive my newbie ignorance, but if you (or someone) could define the following acronyms, I'd appreciate it:

LCOS
SDE
SSE

And BTW, what's your preferred poison regarding these formats?

Also, from someone who's never owned a projection TV, how often does one need to do a bulb replacement? And is it a big deal?

Thanks!
post #13 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

edit - nm, not even worth responding to.
post #14 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

Thanks for all the input. I'm enjoying the debate, and feeling good about SXRD despite Auditor's warnings.

Trackman, please forgive my newbie ignorance, but if you (or someone) could define the following acronyms, I'd appreciate it:

LCOS
SDE
SSE

And BTW, what's your preferred poison regarding these formats?

Also, from someone who's never owned a projection TV, how often does one need to do a bulb replacement? And is it a big deal?

Thanks!

That's a good question about bulb replacement. I've had a 60" SXRD since October 2005. It has seen a ton of use. My brother in law lived with us for about 6 months and that lazy sucker just sat and watched my TV all day and night. I estimate that I have ~3000 hours on my set and I'm still on my first bulb. I did have an ISF calibration, though, and the lamp is set to reduced power mode.

LCoS stands for Liquid Crystal on Silicon
SDE stands for Screen Door Effect (non-existent on SXRD displays)

SSE stands for Silk Screen Effect. There is some of this on SXRD displays. For the most part it is not noticable, particularly if you have the contrast and brightness set to appropriate levels. When the TV comes out of the box the picture is on Vivid mode, and the contrast is set way too high. The SSE is pretty visible in the default configuration. After having mine calibrated, I rarely notice SSE, except in the most demanding bright scenes. It's really not a big deal, and after awhile you don't notice it.

Enjoy the TV if you get it. It's a great set. Second to none in the 50-60" rear projection world IMO.
post #15 of 112 Old 08-25-2006, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
SXRD vs. Plasma vs. LCD, which is best? DEPENDS.

LCD
From my viewing, LCD looks more digital than the rest. I won't comment much on LCD but that would be on the bottom of my list specifically for inadequate black levels. If you watch primarily in the day and have a lot of light in your room you may prefer LCD for its very vivid colors and I'd have to guess it would show off the best in bright settings.

SXRD
I'll give you my honest opinion. As one that has been upgrading their TV every year I never "protect" my purchase by claiming it's better than something else as I will upgrade the following year (so long as finances allow). I'm not one who's been scared off by the "green blob" as I've never seen one on my set nor my friends or even in local stores. I do however have slight greenish and blueish tints in the corner (the average viewer would likely not notice it).

So far I still like the SXRD best of all the microdisplays. It doesn't exhibit as much noise as the other DLPs or the JVC. With good HD content and can look quite well. My Xbox 360 games and HD Trailers on it look great. However I find the picture a little soft still. Compared to some DLPs and especially plasma the SXRD can look soft.

PLASMA

I have to say that when it comes to plasma, for me it's pretty much Panasonic or nothing specifically because none of the plasma competitors touch Panasonic when it comes to black levels. If you want to compare the Panny plasma to the SXRD you must turn the contrast down from the vivid setting from +31 to at least +20 and turn the sharpness down to at least -4. Otherwise it will look oversaturated and just poor.

One thing you have to realize when comparing the two is that you're impression of the plasma will be different in home than in store. I know this by personal experience and by comparing the Panny plasma side by side in my house on via different sources in both bright and in darkened settings. In store, you'll find the SXRDs to likely be brighter and have better black levels, UNLESS, you view both in a lower light setting. The SXRD will outdo the Panny in brighter light settings because the screen back in a blackish color while the Panny is grayish (why Panny does this i don't know). However, in lower light settings the Panny plasmas are a notch or two darker than the SXRD (even with the SXRD set for maximum black levels). The Panny is also very noticably sharper and a much more 3Dish look to it. This years Panasonic is even more detailed in darker areas than the SXRD (Last years Panny was several steps behind the SXRD).

However, with plasmas they say it's about as hard to get burn in as a CRT Tv (don't know if I believe that or not), BUT image retention is very real. How much do you have to worry about that? I can't answer that one.

I think the biggest problem with opinions on this board is that sometimes people don't take into consideration that your viewing environment affects your opinion. If your main viewing during the day with bright lighting you may like LCD best. If you have a lot of room glare, you may oppose plasmas for their glass screen. I oppose LCDs for inadequate black levels. Some may hate the SXRD for SSE. The list goes on and on. The fact is, ALL of these displays are far from perfect and you have to make the best choice for what fits your needs. Retailers sure don't help out much either as their feeds are typically poor and you can't view these televisions in enviroments that will reflect more like what you can at home. I wish I could see what types of black levels new TVs are capable of in darkened rooms but in my area that's IMPOSSIBLE:MAD:!!!
post #16 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 154
What are the cons of the SXRD?

The Bad rap on this forum for green/purple in many forms - yes some of it is real as I've seen one at BB where the screen had a green tint - but who knows the percentage or whether it's been resolved for the A2000 of XBR2. Can we really judge the entire distribution channel by the small comparative numbers on this forum. Forgot to answer your Con's question.

Con#1 - GREEN
It's definitely something to consider and a good idea to sit on the sidelines of the new Owners Forum for a month or so first. Often the first week of postings is the Honeymoon and then members start nitpicking and pieces start to form and within 2-3 weeks the owners forum becomes an exchange of reality and after a month the Honeymoon is over unless it's a Qualia 006 - I never saw that Honeymoon end which is rare here and cause for hope with gen 2 of the SXRD - one can hope for owners and Sony as i wouldn't wish a bad panel on anyone simply to justify my own opinion. I spent 25 years with quality Sony products so it's hard to assume they've just become negligent and the fact is that a perfectly working SXRD is a fantastic HD Home Theater TV and would Auditor 55 admit to that were it not for the Green Issues? Don't get me wrong I'd be ticked too but I would not turn that into an obsession to trash new versions where I had no support to my argument. I'm assuming Sony will migrate Qualia QC to this XBR2 and resolve this issue once and for all as they'd be moronic not too as they have nothing to gain by denying that to this next gen panel when Q006 is history as a production TV.

Con#2 Viewing angle - Anyone that has owned or seriously viewed a RPTV knows they are no match for Flat Panel. However the Sweet Spot is rewarding as hell and just try and buy a quality 60/70" FP for that price.

Con#3 SD - As much as I found HD Heaven on the SXRD I found SD = Hell but i viewed very little SD. However, Gen 2 may have improved SD via deinterlacing of 480i - we won't know until we have owners.

Con#4 - With some WAF and form factor - It's definitely one fat ass TV pushing the screen about a foot and a half closer to your viewing angle compared to a FP but in 1080i(p) should not matter but with SD it can matter.

Con#5 - Mobility - An LCD FP is still very light and mobile to relocate around your home if needed or desired and no so easy task with this monster SXRD.

Con#6 - Lamps/Bulbs - LCD should do you good 60K hours about 20 years with no cost or inconveience when it may fail unless you keep a spare on hand and ready to swap and make the SXRD new again.

Con#7 - Repair History of LCD versus issues I see with SXRD and many RPTV's- I own three and have around 300 LCD FP's on my network. I've yet to have one fail in my home or at work running four years now. My personal history and professional experience on my network have proven LCD to be an outstanding performer considering I've had a three year warranty with each and running 24/7 never had to exercise the warranty on these LCD's. Not saying it's perfect but I've rarely seen any product run as trouble free.

Despite the Con's I'm still haunted by that friggin SXRD WoW Factor and I may just have both in my home to get the best of both technologies provided XBR2 is the real deal Qualia Grade TV but I'm still considering the Mits 65831(for the price/features this is a front runner now if I don't see RBE) and the Samsung 57" LCD or next years 70" with 120Hz. All kick ass TV's - To choose is maddening.

Do yourself a favor if your buying the panel in a B&M and make them earn your money. Rent an HD version of Van Helsing and take it to your store and take the time to view portions of this DVD on your narrowed choices as this movie will test TRUE Blacks, Shadows, Details, Camera Pans, B/W and fast action and flight. Remember that CC sells no HD DVD - Only Blu-Ray.

Put my in-home evaluation to the test for yourself. I did this comparing the same movie between the SXRD 60" and the Panny PDP 500U 50" and the SXRD was the winner hands down - it brought out details that simply were amazing and had you verbalizing WoW (including my wife) and the Plasma had good blacks and colors but it lacked the details the SXRD did that = WoW! If in doubt rent the DVD in chosen HD Player the store uses and make them earn your money. I have seen details with the exact same broadcast on the SXRD I couldn't even see in the theater version up on that wide screen. Try it and determine what WoWs YOU! Your money but black means alot more than black - no PDP can match the CR of an SXRD or Ruby based upon lab tests done on both - they are higher than advertised. JMO

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #17 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I love the picture of the SXRD, but the green glob is a real issue, and if you are okay with that, get the SXRD.

I just bought the WD-65731 mits DLP, because I dont see rainbows, and i'm relatively happy with it. I may be switching to the 65732.

The new A2000 just doesnt seem as impressive to me. And I see motion blur on LCD's, and they are too small for me.

What's your choice today?
Follow the Rules

post #18 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 07:32 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

That's a good question about bulb replacement. I've had a 60" SXRD since October 2005. It has seen a ton of use. My brother in law lived with us for about 6 months and that lazy sucker just sat and watched my TV all day and night. I estimate that I have ~3000 hours on my set and I'm still on my first bulb. I did have an ISF calibration, though, and the lamp is set to reduced power mode.

LCoS stands for Liquid Crystal on Silicon
SDE stands for Screen Door Effect (non-existent on SXRD displays)

SSE stands for Silk Screen Effect. There is some of this on SXRD displays. For the most part it is not noticable, particularly if you have the contrast and brightness set to appropriate levels. When the TV comes out of the box the picture is on Vivid mode, and the contrast is set way too high. The SSE is pretty visible in the default configuration. After having mine calibrated, I rarely notice SSE, except in the most demanding bright scenes. It's really not a big deal, and after awhile you don't notice it.

Enjoy the TV if you get it. It's a great set. Second to none in the 50-60" rear projection world IMO.

I have over 4500 hours on the lamp and it has been at full power. No problems and brightness has not decreased since it was ISF'ed at around 150 hours (i.e., Avia check shows that ISF brightness setting is still valid).
post #19 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

To me, plasma has a depth of image, a tangibility or realism, that you don't see on an SXRD. The latter however does have a very sharp, clear and detailed image. No glare on an SXRD, which is a big + for day viewing. However, SSE is more apparent to me on an SXRD than to some others here - I always feel that the image is slightly shimmery, which is par for the course with projection, but somehow seems more apparent to me with LCOS than with DLP. It is a very subjective thing.

Supposedly, the new Mits Diamond dlp combines the best qualities of plasma and RP - if so, then I will be very happy!

Go Duke !
post #20 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

For many, LCOS v. plasma/lcd comes down to personal preference. Some people who wish to sit close to the set can't abide the SDE from a 768p plasma and want the better blacks that LCOS will deliver over lcd. Or they have glare issues (like Westa) with watching plasma during the day (Pio beats Panny oin this regard). Plus, a big lcd or plasma is major $$. Others are bothered by the SSE of LCOS sets or don't want to deal with bulb replacements, so it's really a name your poison.

That's a big thing for me. At times I like the movie theatre immersion effect of a big screen, and with SXRD I don't see the SDE of a Plasma when looking at them at BM stores.
post #21 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 12:38 PM

I would not say that mobility of flat screens is a bonus, as they are just as difficult to move as a projection. Everyone just thinks they are easy and light because they are small, but they weight the same as projection screens.
post #22 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

WHO ARE YOU???

Why you hate Auditors opinion so much, he did have two sxrds no? And did you not need to exchange your sxrd also??
post #23 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

I KNOW WHAT'S FLAWED & IT'S NOT THE SXRD!

WHO ARE YOU ??
post #24 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

To me, plasma has a depth of image, a tangibility or realism, that you don't see on an SXRD. The latter however does have a very sharp, clear and detailed image. No glare on an SXRD, which is a big + for day viewing. However, SSE is more apparent to me on an SXRD than to some others here - I always feel that the image is slightly shimmery, which is par for the course with projection, but somehow seems more apparent to me with LCOS than with DLP. It is a very subjective thing.

Supposedly, the new Mits Diamond dlp combines the best qualities of plasma and RP - if so, then I will be very happy!

SSE is a killer on sxrd especially in the bigger sizes, dlp does much better in this, well atleast mitsubishis does and dont understand why sony cant or dont use a different screen with less sse.

I hear ya about the depth of image plasma can have, as rharkness has said and is true, plasma image seems to suck you in to the picture better than anything else and the realism is unmatched imo because its direc view, it's like having a big tube tv. Sxrd and dlp have advantages to, they may be more "noise friendly" than plasma and have less artifacts, but i have not had top tier plasma to make true statement. I can say colors are the most accurate and most real looking out of anything, besides direc view crt, which is still the best imo. I cant see sde on plasma and there is absolutley no SSE which is like a breath of fresh air especially in the larger sizes.

Also sxrd can have a "lcd" look to it which it really is a lcd, but reflective, with better contrast. The only value i see now in rear projections is in the 70-73 size.
60in under plasma the man.
post #25 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

Why you hate Auditors opinion so much, he did have two sxrds no? And did you not need to exchange your sxrd also??

Auditor says things about the SXRD that are wildly inaccurate. I doubt that he has even seen the SXRD.
post #26 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis View Post

Blind people shouldn't buy expensive TVs.

EVERY SXRD review has given them top ratings.

I never challenged the claim that the SXRD's received top rating from reviewers, but what I do challenge is the credibility of the reviewers making those claims.

Those reviewers must have overlooked or not even noticed many of issues with
the 2005 line of SXRD's that have been greatly discussed here in the RPTV forum.

I personally would like my reviewers to examine displays with a "fine tooth comb" or in detail.
post #27 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yet2b View Post

Auditor says things about the SXRD that are wildly inaccurate. I doubt that he has even seen the SXRD.

I would never spread misinformation about a product, I just wouldn't do that. Personally I like the SXRD that I owned until I seen the green blob and purple tinted blacks. After reading horror stories of other SXRD owners trying to get their problems resolved through Sony, to no avail, causing them a lot unnecessary hassle, pain and frustration, you can say I then turned against the SXRD as a good choice for a consumer seeking to purchase a "top" rated display.
post #28 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Westa,

You say SD on an SXRD is "hell." Personally, I watch mostly OTA HD broadcasts and DVDs (alas, not yet HD-DVDs), but my wife watches a lot of SD programming (Food Network, TLC, etc.). Currently, we have a Sony 34XBR200 (a big, bulky CRT TV that we both love -- but want bigger screen size), and SD looks pretty damn good on that. Will my wife be very disappointed with the SXRD SD?

Also, is a viewing distance of 8-9 ft. too close for a 50" SXRD?

And will the fact that both of us will view the set on a slight angle (we sit on oppostie ends of a semi-circular sectional sofa, with the TV currently angled to face the center section) affect our perception of PQ?

And if one is viewing on a slight angle, does either SXRD or plasma hold an edge over the other?

Some of these SXRD horror stories are concerning me a bit. The sets either seem to fall into the love 'em or hate 'em category.
post #29 of 112 Old 08-26-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:

And if one is viewing on a slight angle, does either SXRD or plasma hold an edge over the other?

The plasma will have the edge as picture luminance changes remain essentially, subjectively, indistinguishable from almost any angle.

Still, I find that for a rear projection set, the SXRDS offer very wide viewing angles. They hold up quite well when viewing from reasonable side angles (not as well in vertical angles, unfortunately). It also depends on the program content and viewing conditions. With bright program content (i.e. brightly lit, not night scenes) or when watched in a bright environment, the SXRD will reveal a lot less image change when you move off-axis.

And it even has some advantages over the plasma in having a less reflective screen (although it's still reflective enough to bother some of us, most people find it less objectionable than the reflections that can occur with plasmas in bright rooms).

With darker source material and or darker viewing conditions, the changes in the SXRD image will tend to me more apparent as you move off-axis (because you can see, luminance rises in the black levels, and luminance drops in the peak brightness more as you move around in dimmer lighting).

I like plasmas myself, but the SXRD is certainly worth pursuing because, fingers crossed, if you get a good model with no problems they are a stellar display, with few rivals from any other digital technology in terms of image resolution, smoothness, detail, black levels etc.

Cheers,
post #30 of 112 Old 08-28-2006, 06:12 PM

I guess it depends on which forum you ask. Here, of course, most responses would be SXRD. I see the same question asked on the flat panel forum and the majority of them picked the plasma.

To me, I think plasma gives you more life-like and draw you in the picture more than SXRD. There's also a wow factor to have that TV mounting on the wall. Don't get me wrong..SXRD has a great picture too. but this depends on your viewing environment and your taste/eyes. People might say that SXRD looks great but you may not like it. I'd suggest you to go check it at the store and see for yourself which one is better. I'm sure either one would be a great tv for you.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page