2Likes

post #451 of 6634 Old 09-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
juggler,

This is just my opinion, but I think that's what you are asking for....I have the 56" and my seating distance is 17-18 feet. I wish that I had the 61", but I couldn't fit it into our cabinet. However, we still feel that the 56" gives us the home theater feel and look.
I find that when I am 6-8 feet from the screen, the picture is seriously degraded. I URGE YOU STRONGLY to go to a store and sit at eight feet from the screen and watch for at least ten to fifteen minutes. I believe that you will see that these screens require some distance to achieve the best PQ, and for me that distance is around 9-10 feet for the 56" set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6634 Old 09-19-2006, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjuggler View Post

I've decided to purchase the FH97. I'm trying to decide on the best size for my room. I want a 61" - my viewing distance is 8 to 9 feet.
I plan on watching a lot of HD & DVD.
But, my fear is SD being really bad on the 61" and wondering if 56" would be better. The price difference is not a concern.

Thanks,
JD

Check out this viewing distance calculator.

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...l#anchor_13194

Just punch in the screen diag size and ratio and it will give you optimum viewing ranges.

The 61 picture is only 8% wider than the 56, and should not mean much as far as "blowing up" the SD picture.

Screen size calculator is here:

http://www.htmart.com/pages.php?pageid=1

our 56" looks good at 8-9 ft, but I notice that if I sit a bit closer, that works too. If I sit at 9 ft, I think "a bigger screen would work here" but the wife would never go with it.

Columbia SC
post #453 of 6634 Old 09-19-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GreenLantern View Post

1) The fan is noisy and can be heard only when the TV is playing at low volumes. So most of the time, you will not hear it. On the other hand, it is annoying just knowing it is there.

GL

Just thought I'd throw in my own two cents on the fan noise. I just got my 61FN97 about 10 days ago. I had a standard HD stand with an open back, and I couldn't hear the fan noise at all. About 5 days later, I had a new entertainment center delivered (I'm designing my entire room around my new JVC ) On the new entertainment center base (it has a closed off back), the fan noise is much louder. It seems to echo off the back of the entertainment center. I may take the back off the entertainment center and see if that helps.

Anyone else notice this?
post #454 of 6634 Old 09-19-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Whats' that?? How about the other 8 months of the year?

If your team makes the playoffs regularly, you kinda get the fifth month of enjoyment for free...
post #455 of 6634 Old 09-19-2006, 08:24 PM

This TV is awesome I give my 61FN97 an overall 8.9 rating!!!
LL
LL
LL
post #456 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 12:51 AM

Can someone tell me experience with CableCard? How is TV Guide experience?

My Samsung set's TV Guide frequently shows No Info for channels and shows all channels without order. I can change order, but it's extremely painful as selection and moving channels up/down is slow and I feel I'm dying while I am trying move soooooo many channels.
post #457 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

QUOTE from MrWigggles:
"Daniel, the more brilliant yellows you saw out of the JVC are for a couple reasons:

1. It was brighter. Yellow is the easiest color to dirty up. The only difference between yellow and brown is yellow has more intensity; both are just made from red and green. This is why it is always best to do a comparison sequentially not side-by-side. The brighter projector almost always wins a side-by-side. Your mind sees the JVC yellow and says "that's yellow.", then it sees the Ruby's yellow which isn't as intense and says "that's not as bright so it must be brown."

2. JVC uses a trick when they create their color pallette. For pure green, JVC actually adds a little blue to make it more pastel and emerald. Then for yellow they make it as pure as possible - just red and green with no blue added. This gives more difference to the two colors and it makes the yellows really pop out as being more saturated. In effect, by doing this JVC overcomes some of the limitations of HDTV colors and brigthens yellows at the same time which often look dirty on other displays. You could call JVC cheating but the trick works and I for one welcome it."

Now we know why the JVC LCoS colors are preferred over the SXRD even though they are less oversaturated.
post #458 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I've been waiting nearly rwo months, buth 6thAve in NJ finally got ONE FH97, and it is scheduled to be delivered in a few hours, and the FH96 (smudge issue) taken away.

Once I've spent some time with the set, I'll post some commentary here.

I have both BluRay and HD-DVD, so I'l try and make some (very) subjective comparisons between the FH96 and FH97

Greg
post #459 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetz9335 View Post

Can someone tell me experience with CableCard? How is TV Guide experience?

My Samsung set's TV Guide frequently shows No Info for channels and shows all channels without order. I can change order, but it's extremely painful as selection and moving channels up/down is slow and I feel I'm dying while I am trying move soooooo many channels.

I will be having the cable card installed this Saturday. I already have a DVR via HDMI. This will give me two separate HD feeds to the set.

I will let you know about the channel guide looks like in the next week. It will be easy to compare it to the SA 8300-HD guide from Time Warner. I already know that their guide blows the Satellite guide away, so this will be an interesting comparison.

Columbia SC
post #460 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 09:55 AM

Looks like the Xbox360 will be outputting 1080p video when the HD-DVD drive comes out for it. I've been looking at the HD-56FN97. Do they accept a 1080p signal through Component?

EDIT: I just downloaded the manual and it says the highest through Component is 1080i. Could someone test it to see if maybe the component will take the 1080p signal and JVC didn't want to deal with it?

I looked up several other HDTV's manuals and all the ones that support 1080p inputs only indicate that HDMI will accept it. Kinda makes the 360 able to do 1080p kinda worthless if all you can use is Component.
post #461 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

6th Avenue just left, taking the old FH96 and installing the FH97. No issues with packaging (as noted in some other post); made all my connections, and turned on the set...

SMOKE STARTED COMING OUT OF THE TOP!

just kidding...

It was stunning - somewhat better than the FH96. I watched a few high-def channels off of my Sci Atla. 8300 box (Cablevision is the provider). The set comes defaulted to the Dynamic setting. I switched to standard and did some quick tweaks - will do a full calbration later.

- SSE is less noticeable on this set than the 96
- Color/brightness is outstanding - great uniformity
- Minor mpeg artifacting is from lovely Cablevision, as it's exhibited on all my sets (plasma, LCD, etc).
- On screen controls are as lame before - there is an IRIS control, which I have not yet read about but will tonight.
- SD is decent, but I think any 70" set is going to reveal the uglier side of SD, esepcially from Cablevision...but for me, this will be an HD only room, and HD was wonderful

Will check out some HD-DVD and Blu Ray later.

Wanted to post something quick

And so far, I don't see any smudge issue (thanks goodness)
post #462 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_At_Heart View Post

Our 70FH97 arrived today but had to be sent back because of damage to the screen due to the flimsy packaging. The only material between the cardboard and the screen was one very thin piece of foam. The screen had been damaged in two places. My husband wants to reorder, but I'm having doubts now.

My 61FN97 was delivered to me in mint condition. TT shipped it, and Roadway Express delivered it. The box barely had a scratch on it. Who delivered the set to you?
post #463 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post

If you get a reasonably strong signal to the tuner on this set you will be blown away. anything that you saw in the store on this display was introduced by their poor signal strength. That particular display set's poor PQ could of been caused by many external factors from bad cables, oxidation, too many splitters...

Will you be using a STB from the cable company or sat provider? The sensitivity of its tuner will be the main factor in this case. I know from personal experience that different STB's have better or worse performance with a given signal strength.

Another point that I'd like to mention is that I went to look at sets at the local BB, and I was appalled at how they had their feed connected. For some reason unknown to me, the setup people at BB had the same feed going to each of the HDTVs through different types of connections! Some were composite, some were coax, and I found myself having to ask how each set was setup. It was very distracting.
post #464 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

6th Avenue just left, taking the old FH96 and installing the FH97. No issues with packaging (as noted in some other post); made all my connections, and turned on the set...

just kidding...

It was stunning - somewhat better than the FH96. I watched a few high-def channels off of my Sci Atla. 8300 box (Cablevision is the provider). The set comes defaulted to the Dynamic setting. I switched to standard and did some quick tweaks - will do a full calbration later.

- Minor mpeg artifacting is from lovely Cablevision, as it's exhibited on all my sets (plasma, LCD, etc).
- On screen controls are as lame before - there is an IRIS control, which I have not yet read about but will tonight.
- SD is decent, but I think any 70" set is going to reveal the uglier side of SD, esepcially from Cablevision...but for me, this will be an HD only room, and HD was wonderful

The funny thing is, a couple of weeks ago I was in 6th Ave and they claimed they wouldn't have a 70FH97's till October, November at the earliest. I told them that some people already had this set and they were shocked. They would be my only source for this set in the local NJ area.

Glad you like it.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #465 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKDynamic View Post

Another point that I'd like to mention is that I went to look at sets at the local BB, and I was appalled at how they had their feed connected. For some reason unknown to me, the setup people at BB had the same feed going to each of the HDTVs through different types of connections! Some were composite, some were coax, and I found myself having to ask how each set was setup. It was very distracting.

I noticed the same thing at our BB. Athe TV's surrounding the 56" JVC were setup with at least component and the JVC was using RF. Made it looked like ass compared to the others.
post #466 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 01:01 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:

just kidding...

LOL!!!!!
You really got me with that one .
post #467 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

just kidding...

The JVCs are criticized by some for a "flatter" picture versus Sony or the new DLPs. Since you have a plasma, I wonder if you could comment on the sense of depth/3D quality of your new set.

Go Duke !
post #468 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 02:28 PM

Hey guys, I bought a JVC 61FN97 From Best Buy and they delivered it last Friday. Well, I couldn't wait to get home as my wife was telling me all day how big it was! I got home, plugged it in, hooked up the HDMI to my Directv HD DVR the best I could and hit the power button. NOTHING!! The blue LED light and the lamp light flickered on and off together and a JVC rep told me it was defective. I called BB to come and pick it up and bring a new one. My wife is now very weary of JVC. I think it's BB fault in shipping. Help reassure me and her on how much it will worth it to wait for another one!!! Please??? Haha

Also, can anyone tell an electronically ignorant fool such as myself where to find a good resource on how to hook everything up to my TV. I have a Onkyo receiver, Directv HD DVR (the old 250 which is getting swapped out for the new version) and an Xbox360. Does anyone have any suggestions? I curious as to the best way to connect the receiver, satellite receiver and the TV. I have a HDMI cable and a plethora of fiber optic audio cables and component cables.

Any help from you guys would be awesome as I have read many of your posts and you seem to be very knowledgable.

BTW... I did 3 months of research and decided on the JVC because of the same technology SONY uses at a fraction of the price.
post #469 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 05:03 PM

I've had my 56FN97 since late August. I purchased the Toshiba HD-DVD player a couple of weeks ago. AFAIK this combo is the best of the best! I watched "Unforgiven" in Theater Pro Mode and the shadow detail was excellent IMHO. I still see the SSE on bright scenes even on High Def programming from Direct TV but it is not enough to diminish my enjoyment of this TV. I see little or no SSE on HD-DVD.

I have programmed discrete input codes for my Pronto Pro 6000 for Vid 1, Vid2 , and Vid 3 which where available from Remote Central. Does anyone have discrete input codes for a Pronto Pro 6000 for Video 4, HDMI 1 and HDMI 2?

Any help would be appreciated.
post #470 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

The JVCs are criticized by some for a "flatter" picture versus Sony or the new DLPs. Since you have a plasma, I wonder if you could comment on the sense of depth/3D quality of your new set.

I have a 50" Panasonic Onyx to compare to - the the JVC has MUCH better depth - there is no comparison. Much better contrast, brightness, black, and saturation.
post #471 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky View Post

Looks like the Xbox360 will be outputting 1080p video when the HD-DVD drive comes out for it. I've been looking at the HD-56FN97. Do they accept a 1080p signal through Component?

EDIT: I just downloaded the manual and it says the highest through Component is 1080i. Could someone test it to see if maybe the component will take the 1080p signal and JVC didn't want to deal with it?

I looked up several other HDTV's manuals and all the ones that support 1080p inputs only indicate that HDMI will accept it. Kinda makes the 360 able to do 1080p kinda worthless if all you can use is Component.

There is no difference between de-interlaced 1080i and native 1080p on a set that doesn't use bob and weave de-interlacing. The JVC 1080p sets have never used bob and weave de-interlacing so this is not an issue at all.

Steve S.
post #472 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 08:05 PM

Not sure how well these will show up...
LL
LL
LL
post #473 of 6634 Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 PM

this is on a 480p DVD player
LL
LL
LL
post #474 of 6634 Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeyer911 View Post

this is on a 480p DVD player

What picture was your JVC in when you snapped these pics? I has some pictures of last years JVC with that Space Shuttle launch from DVE showing yellowish tint in the smoke from rockets.
post #475 of 6634 Old 09-21-2006, 11:42 AM

My current HDTV receiver is a RCA DTC-100, which only outputs HD through a VGA ouput. This was fine before because my TV had a HD VGA input (Marantz PV6480W). But the 70FH97 I ordered won't be able to take the HD feed on it's VGA input right? Because it has only 2 limited resolutions on the VGA input. So what do you guys think I can do short of buying a new HD receiver? VGA to component video transcoder? VGA to HDMI is not an option because I read it is not possible to do. Thanks.
post #476 of 6634 Old 09-21-2006, 12:29 PM

I've pretty much sold myself on getting the Oppo 971 dvd player for the my 61FH97.
Do any of you 97 owners have the Oppo 971? And, what are your experiences with the performance?
Thanks,
JD
post #477 of 6634 Old 09-21-2006, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjuggler View Post

I've pretty much sold myself on getting the Oppo 971 dvd player for the my 61FH97.
Do any of you 97 owners have the Oppo 971? And, what are your experiences with the performance?
Thanks,
JD

I've got one... have it hooked up via a DVI->HDMI cable to my 56FN97. I am very happy with the performance and picture that the Oppo provides - absolutely blows away the old Sony DVD player I have. I am very happy with the setup.
post #478 of 6634 Old 09-21-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankness View Post

I've got one... have it hooked up via a DVI->HDMI cable to my 56FN97. I am very happy with the performance and picture that the Oppo provides - absolutely blows away the old Sony DVD player I have. I am very happy with the setup.

What he said....
The Oppo's Faroudja decoder is simply the best avaialle < $1000. Maybe the best < $2000 even...
post #479 of 6634 Old 09-21-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

What picture was your JVC in when you snapped these pics?

I had my RGB service settings at 70/70/90, but the user settings were just set to some -12 to -20 on picture, brightness and detail. No specific picture setting.
post #480 of 6634 Old 09-21-2006, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtsang View Post

My current HDTV receiver is a RCA DTC-100, which only outputs HD through a VGA ouput. This was fine before because my TV had a HD VGA input (Marantz PV6480W). But the 70FH97 I ordered won't be able to take the HD feed on it's VGA input right? Because it has only 2 limited resolutions on the VGA input. So what do you guys think I can do short of buying a new HD receiver? VGA to component video transcoder? VGA to HDMI is not an option because I read it is not possible to do. Thanks.

Have you looked into upgrading thru your provider to the new HD20 ird? You would eventually need an upgrade anyway to get upcoming HD content I believe. I had to with Dish. If not then yes, a VGA to component unit. I used to run a VGA to RGBHV breakout cable to my G11 projector. No transcoder, just a cable.

"The Oppo's Faroudja decoder is simply the best avaialle < $1000. Maybe the best < $2000 even..."

Yeah, but it doesn't upscale over the component outs, and for me who sends video thru my house over all component, it's a bust. I have to find a player that does, and the choices are slim.

Chris

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page