post #541 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastewa View Post

I totally agree with these comments regarding picture quality between the new Sonys and JVC. I viewed them side by side several times with the same feed and had the exact same observations, as did my wife without any coaching.

I had a 61 JVC delivered today and it is as stunning here at home as I remembered it after several store demos. I am also VERY pleased with the SD picture, honestly better than my Pioneer Elite SD 60 inch CRT RPTV it replaced which I did not expect. This is clearly the best RPTV and/or 50+ TV I have seen yet.

Thanks Fastewa, there must have been something very odd going on at my Best Buy, sounds like almost everyone says the picture quality is at least as good, and in some cases better, than the Sony SXRD.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience.

On another note, is the Oppo 971 the best choice for an upscaling DVD player? Starting to read a few posts in this forum that maybe it doesn't play nice with these JVC's.

Any other options close in price that other's are using with their 1080P D-ILA's that also use faroudja? I assume that is the de-interlacer to have, and is worth paying to get it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 06:51 AM

I am using the S97 and I absolutely love it. I can't complain. Sure, it doesn't "pop" like the HD-A1 playing full resolution HD DVD's, but I feel that it is about as good as it gets for Standard DVD's.

I have not tried out the HD DVD player for standard DVD's, but I hear that it gets good ratings.
post #543 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubess View Post

Well I just pulled the trigger on my HT purchase for my new house. Ordered the 70FH97, the Pioneer 84txi, DEFTECH BP7004's and BP2x surrounds and the Toshiiba HD-A1. I wont have it installed untill OCT 27. Will be hardly able to contain myself until then. Will keep you posted.

If you're waiting until the end of October, why not get the HD-A2 instead? It should fix all the A1's bugs, plus has a better remote.
post #544 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H60Ace View Post

Ok, it's official, I don't see how it could possibly get any better than this. I received and hooked up my HD A1 yesterday, drove 15 miles through horrendous traffic in order to purchase an HD DVD, and then returned home with U571.

The first thing that I did was pop in my newly receied Avia calibration disk and go through the motions. Then it was showtime. I was satisfied beyond my wildest imagination. What a wonderful picture with inky blacks, great shadow detail, and amazing colors. I am so very amazed.

It is funny because SSE was non-existant on this movie. I tried to see it in the lights and in the blue sky but was unable to. Maybe I am getting used to it, maybe my colors and brightness are set up better now, or maybe this movie isn't as bright as others. I don't know, but it was a pleasant suprise.

Just my observations.

What are your final settings after AVIA disk? Close to those posted early in this thread? Have you gone inot the Service Menu yet? Have you found any other tweaks while experimenting?

I think if someone can really minimize the SSE with some combo of adjustmens, many more popel would take the plunge, me for sure.

Thanks
post #545 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevtahoe99 View Post

I purchased the OPPO 971H dvd player due to this and other forums positive reviews. I had a sony up-converting dvd player but the image I thought looked kind of dull. I just received the Oppo on friday and I am not impressed at all, the picture is really blocky and pixelated. I tried all the video settings on the player, video 1 and 2, turning off and on the true life and other noise reduction settings. The noise reduction setting on the tv is also off. I am using the DVI-HDMI cable. I watched a couple of diff movies, the excorcism of emily rose, dukes of hazzard and domino. All looked horrible on the oppo. I have heard of a "macro-blocking" issue. Before a movie like the studio logo that comes on, when the image left the screen a "ghost" image would be left there. I watched the same movies on my xbox 360 and they looked much better. Should I return the oppo? or exchange it for the other player they sell? Any help would be greatly appreciated! How about some different settings?

Something must be wrong in the Oppo. Have you called their tech support?

I've used the Oppo on 2 of the 61" Pro JVC's without anything like what you describe.

Chris

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
post #546 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 12:12 PM

Let me put in a plug for the MPEG Noise Reduction on the JVC. Watched it the other day with a paused DVD image and I could see lots of artifacts just go away. Works pretty well. Latter this week, I will at least be able to run it through the Pioneer VSX-82TXS video scaler when HDMI cable arrives.

Can someone post a comprehensive explaination of what the iris setting is good for and how it interacts with the auto iris setting? I'm assuming a higher number gives better brightness and a lower number might give better contrast and possibly less optical abberations.

Posts in the past have said the only way to reduce SSE is too reduce brightness and picture. The Avia settings will set a brightness that may be good for the picture, but gives unacceptable SSE. The SSE does bother me, but my wife who does not read the forums remains blissfully ignorant.
post #547 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Kramer View Post

If you're waiting until the end of October, why not get the HD-A2 instead? It should fix all the A1's bugs, plus has a better remote.

Good idea but I got the A1 for $100 less with free shipping and I do not intend on using the supplied remote. I'll be using a Niles system to contol my HT. Hopefully with the 2.0 upgrade there won't be any more bugs.
post #548 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 05:39 PM

I've read this entire thread and did not see that anyone has asked this question yet:

Using the CableCard slot, can this TV output decrypted CableVision video via of the FireWire or any other output for recording purposes? I've read the manual, and it sort of implies that it can, but its not clear.

CableVision states the card should allow it if the TV is capable of doing it.

BTW - For those near Paramus, NJ I got a great deal on the 70FH97 from 6th Ave electronics in Paramus. The other 6th Ave in West Paterson quoted a much higher price... Weird.

I got the same price that BB asks for the Samsung 71' 1080P DLP HL-S7178W. Buying over the web proved to be the same price as what I paid once you add shipping.
post #549 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 05:50 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Olsen View Post

BTW - For those near Paramus, NJ I got a great deal on the 70FH97 from 6th Ave electronics in Paramus. The other 6th Ave in West Paterson quoted a much higher price... Weird.

Thanks for the tip Eric . Check your PM.
post #550 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 06:01 PM

New to the forum, but have been reading it for awhile...

just purchased the 61fn97 and LOVE it. I am a newb when it comes to setting up the best picture.

I have ComcastHD/PVR and the HD channels look amazing. However, SD channels look awful..I have a feeling that i just need to tweak the settings, but I really could use some help.

Would anyone care to share the way they have their's set up? I have the box connected to the TV through HDMI, FWIW...
post #551 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReilly1 View Post

Thanks Fastewa, there must have been something very odd going on at my Best Buy, sounds like almost everyone says the picture quality is at least as good, and in some cases better, than the Sony SXRD.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience.

On another note, is the Oppo 971 the best choice for an upscaling DVD player? Starting to read a few posts in this forum that maybe it doesn't play nice with these JVC's.

Any other options close in price that other's are using with their 1080P D-ILA's that also use faroudja? I assume that is the de-interlacer to have, and is worth paying to get it.

Thanks!

Sorry, RE the OPPO. Cant help. Have not tried any DVD player on this unit yet.
post #552 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 07:43 PM

This is the second one.....the first was damaged in shipping. My husband plugged it in this afternoon, an hour later Charter Cable hooked up the HD box and we simply can't believe how great the picture is. I realize there are few women on this thread but I'm hoping the "female point of view" might provide a different slant.

We've been watching the Saints-Falcons game and all I can say is....phenomenal!! We had thought the Sony was the one we really wanted, but can now say we couldn't be happier with our choice. We'll have it tweaked and calibrated in a couple of weeks.

Many thanks to the people on this fabulous web site for tons of info.
post #553 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Olsen View Post

I've read this entire thread and did not see that anyone has asked this question yet:

Using the CableCard slot, can this TV output decrypted CableVision video via of the FireWire or any other output for recording purposes? I've read the manual, and it sort of implies that it can, but its not clear.

CableVision states the card should allow it if the TV is capable of doing it.

I too would like to know this, and as well, can I play back video from my PC via the firewire connection. (I assume the "JVC only" issue has to do just with camcorders?)
post #554 of 6633 Old 09-25-2006, 09:58 PM

post #555 of 6633 Old 09-26-2006, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojingles View Post

Costco.com has the HD-70FN97 up for sale.

Does Costco really offer a 100% money back guaranty for any reason? Is there a time period attached to this policy?

John.

John
post #556 of 6633 Old 09-26-2006, 06:48 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_At_Heart View Post

This is the second one.....the first was damaged in shipping. My husband plugged it in this afternoon, an hour later Charter Cable hooked up the HD box and we simply can't believe how great the picture is. I realize there are few women on this thread but I'm hoping the "female point of view" might provide a different slant.

We've been watching the Saints-Falcons game and all I can say is....phenomenal!! We had thought the Sony was the one we really wanted, but can now say we couldn't be happier with our choice. We'll have it tweaked and calibrated in a couple of weeks.

Many thanks to the people on this fabulous web site for tons of info.

Welcome to the forum .
We know you women love this stuff just as much, well almost as much as we do, but most are afraid to admit it .

Congrats on your new set !
post #557 of 6633 Old 09-26-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnja View Post

Does Costco really offer a 100% money back guaranty for any reason? Is there a time period attached to this policy?

John.

Seemingly, yes, and no, respectively.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&page=1&pp=30
post #558 of 6633 Old 09-26-2006, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla rice View Post

hi there. i hope this isn't a stupid question, but: the resolution restriction for the VGA input - would that apply for the future xbox 360 HD-DVD drive? news is that the future HD-DVD drive will only output 1080p through vga, and 1080i through component. so are JVC owners screwed in that respect?

but if all the tv had to do is de-interlace a 1080i component signal, is that not too bad?

also, if i don't need the sound-related additions to the FH and FN models, and the PC input is limited to lower res, is there any reason to go over the FC model apart from the gold plated inputs and nicer cabinet?

thanks in advance!

The PC input is limited to 1024x768 on the JVC - I haven't tested it, so I can't verify that it won't accept anything better, but that is what the manual states. The TV's de-interlacing from 1080i to 1080p is very good - I don't think you will notice.
post #559 of 6633 Old 09-26-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevtahoe99 View Post

Hello! I recently purchased the 56FN97 from Best Buy. I have had a few different tv's starting with the Samsung DLP. I could see the rainbows and they bothered the hell out of me so I went to the 720 JVC tv. That was a good tv but I didn't like the picture quality. I returned that for the SONY SXRD 50XBR1, and it had the green blob issue so I finally decided on the 1080p JVC. Overall I am very happy with this tv. I am not a videophile and I am new into the home theater realm. My old tv before all of this was a 32" Sony Wega. I purchased the OPPO 971H dvd player due to this and other forums positive reviews. I had a sony up-converting dvd player but the image I thought looked kind of dull. I just received the Oppo on friday and I am not impressed at all, the picture is really blocky and pixelated. I tried all the video settings on the player, video 1 and 2, turning off and on the true life and other noise reduction settings. The noise reduction setting on the tv is also off. I am using the DVI-HDMI cable. I watched a couple of diff movies, the excorcism of emily rose, dukes of hazzard and domino. All looked horrible on the oppo. I have heard of a "macro-blocking" issue. Before a movie like the studio logo that comes on, when the image left the screen a "ghost" image would be left there. I watched the same movies on my xbox 360 and they looked much better. Should I return the oppo? or exchange it for the other player they sell? Any help would be greatly appreciated! How about some different settings?

Here is my equipment list:
JVC 56FN97
Pioneer VSX 1015 THX Select 2
Infinity Speaker System
2 Yamaha Tower Speakers
Xbox 360
Dish VIP 622 receiver
Oppo 971H DVD Player
Harmony 885 remote

Contact Oppo and ask them, they are very good at helping owners out. You shouldn't be having any issues with macro-blocking or ghosting... I have all of the image enhancements off on my Oppo and the picture is fantastic.

Also, you might want to check what firmware the Oppo is running - you may have gotten a unit with an old version. That is going to be the first thing the guys at Oppo are going to ask you anyways...
Instructions here
post #560 of 6633 Old 09-26-2006, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meestor_X View Post

Seemingly, yes, and no, respectively.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&page=1&pp=30

Thanks so much for the link Mr. X. I found it excellent, Costco's return policy is awesome. They are definitely #1 in customer service and well worth paying a little extra for.

Thanks again, John

John
post #561 of 6633 Old 09-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

I need something higher than 15 inches, which is the JVC suggested one I believe.

Any new purchasers go with Bush, Sanus, etc.

Wife wants me to buy a basic one for now, get something fully intergrated and oak in the future.

If I need to ask this in a different forum, no problem, was just interested in the responses from people with this particular tv.

Thanks
post #562 of 6633 Old 09-26-2006, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Questions for anyone that is using the internal digital tuners;
1. Can DIGITAL channels be added after a scan on either a re-scan or by direct entry?
2. Anyone have issues with TVGuide and an external AV-HDD regarding recording 'in the clear' digital cable channels?
3. Has anyone had 'in the clear' digital cable channels unaccessible where it is probably a issue with the CC, but most other tuners can access them?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #563 of 6633 Old 09-26-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojingles View Post

Costco.com has the HD-70FN97 up for sale.

CostCo has a good return policy, but I heard they mfg warrantee does not apply, because they are not an authorized JVC dealer.

I'm surprised they are asking for that price because I paid a LOT less, plus I got the better model (70FH97), they are selling the 70FN97.
post #564 of 6633 Old 09-26-2006, 08:23 PM

Bought my JVC HD61FN97 about 4 weeks ago, along with an Oppo 970, Pioneer Elite 82, and a set of Onix Rockets for speakers. Spent about a week or two hooking it up, and it was an AMAZING picture, especially in HD. I still would like to tweak the picture settings some, but tonight, went to watch a movie and NO PICUTRE at all!! The power light comes on but I cannot see a thing, and pushing "input" button does not seem to do anything. Anyone have any ideas?
post #565 of 6633 Old 09-26-2006, 11:20 PM

Maybe your bulb blew? I sure hope not, as I don't want to have to be messing with this issue.
post #566 of 6633 Old 09-26-2006, 11:48 PM

EDIT: Please note, I now have this stand, and it deviates from the spec sheet download. Usable shelf width is 41.5", bottom shelf usable height 7.5", top shelf usable height 6.5", full height 19", base of stand to base of TV 16.825".

I'm looking forward to purchasing this TV, and wanted to get some detailed specs on the stand that JVC sells for it. It turns out that the JVC stand for this model year is made by Bello... so I wrote to Bello and received the attached, very helpful document, which I thought I should share:

JVCRKCEMX7DetDimens9-26-06.pdf 113.2265625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JVCRKCEMX7DetDimens9-26-06.pdf (113.2 KB, 1 views)
post #567 of 6633 Old 09-27-2006, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Has anyone compared the SSE between the 96 and 97 models? Better, worse or the same?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #568 of 6633 Old 09-27-2006, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplotkin View Post

I'm looking forward to purchasing this TV, and wanted to get some detailed specs on the stand that JVC sells for it. It turns out that the JVC stand for this model year is made by Bello... so I wrote to Bello and received the attached, very helpful document, which I thought I should share:

I will have to see if those glass shelves are adjustable, my tuner needs a lot of room to breathe.

Do you know who is selling that, maybe only though JVC?

Thanks
post #569 of 6633 Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Videobruce,

I have the 56FH97, have had it for about two weeks, and I think that the SSE is about the same as the FH96. I compared the FH96 against the Sony XBR1 for weeks earlier in the year, and I found that the JVC had slightly more SSE than the Sony, but that it also did a better job of dealing with room reflections. Now that I have had first hand experience with a Panasonic PH9UK in our room (which has two walls of windows), and now with the FH97 in our room, I have come to the conclusion that the non-reflective coating on the Panasonic plasma does -- almost -- as good a job at dealing with reflections as the lenticular screen on the FH97. Almost, but not quite. One factor that I failed to consider with the plasma is that we look slightly up at the screen, and the A/R coating works better at that angle.

I really hate the SSE, but what can you do when you have an environment full of reflected light, both sunlight in the daytime and artificial at night? The choice is try to look through the reflections, or learn to live with the sheen. I am trying to do the latter...and it's not easy. On really good HD broadcasts, which are so very rare, the SSE is almost non-existent. I am amazed that the 17 channels of "HD" that my cable company sells, show 94% of the programming in 480...only very rarely does the TV show that it is receiving 1080i, but when it does you can really see the difference. Not only is the detail more striking, but the SSE is lessened. We are absolutely thrilled with the performance of the set given a clean 1080 signal. One other thing that I have noticed is that 720p looks like crap compared to 1080i... fortunately ABC is the only one that I get in 720, and I don't watch it much at all.

I have the Oppo 970 for the DVD player, and I think that it probably is the best $150 player that I have ever seen. However, one can occassionally see jaggies, so the anti-aliasing is not perfect, and one can definitely see SSE, especially on movies like LOTR. If the new Tosh XA2 was availabe right now I would order one, primarily because it is supposed to be the best upconverter ever made, but also because I want the 1080 input capability. I think that the Tosh will better deal with the SSE issue.
post #570 of 6633 Old 09-27-2006, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I really hate the SSE, but what can you do when you have an environment full of reflected light

That's two different issues. Reflections and SSE anen't the same. You will notice SSE more in a darker room. That's a internal screen(s) issue, reflections are from the outer surface of the outer screen.
Quote:

On really good HD broadcasts, which are so very rare, the SSE is almost non-existent.

That's probably because you are looking at the content, not for SSE. You can put up a full white fiels from any source ans SSE will be there and shouldn't change. AFAIK, it's mostly due to the screen material to increase gain for that "torch look" in the stores without increasing the lamp wattage.

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page