Official JVC HD-xxFH97 HD-xxFN97 HD-xxFC97 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does anyone have the exact dimensions of the 61fn97?

i am mostly concerned about the width. i want to put the tv in my entertainment unit which has an opening of 57 incnes wide. i have plenty of depth and height.

there are no local stores that have any of these tvs on display.
i looked on jvc's website, but they have a disclaimer that the specifications listed are preliminary and subjecct to change. it lists a width of 55 1/4.
BBs website lists a width of 57.

any help would be appreciated.

this forum has been extremely informative in my decision for a new TV.

THANKS!

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane D View Post

The pics look great! In the odd case that I can lay my hands on a remote in FS, could you tell me some general settings that I could change to? Before I actually purchase a display, I really want to test out some of my favourite movies. Many people say that you should send a 480i signal and let the TV upgrade the movie. That works perfect for me!

What is happening with sports? Are you getting macro-blocking/artifacting? Are you using Bell satellite?

Thanks!!

Shane D

I got some settings from a guy in know that played with one and has a FH96. In Standard mode,
Contrast-20, Color+5,brightness+2, tint+2,sharpness 0 and iris+4. Turn all auto picture, gamma and NR settings off

I use an upconverting DVD player and it works great. The LOTR pics were from CBCHD watching with default in theatre pro and it was theatrelike.

The sports issue has to be the source or my Moto 6412-III as I played some Steelers-Jags MNF I had recorded and it looked fantastic, smooth and vivid. The ND game I think was macroblocking, but not exactly sure what that is.

Shane, might be a good thing waiting a month as prices will probably come down. Some guy posted at DHC he bargained his down for $300 less than I could.
post #633 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I've narrowed my choice to either the 58" Panny plasma or a 70FN97, both of which can be bought thru costco.

I'm glad to see most people seem very happy with their set. anyone seen both the 61" and 70' and can tell me if they saw any degradation on the larger set?

also, does anyone know of a professional review for the 70Fx97? or an informal review from an expert (umr, etc)?

thanks
post #634 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 09:46 AM

re: SSE

Any pics/demos of what SSE looks like? I've found and seen all the other demos of the drawbacks; ( ie: rbe, sde, and burn-in) through searching, but haven't seen anything but descriptions of SSE. I've spent lots of time looking at the SXRD and DLP's in the store, but I'm not sure if what I'm noticing is SSE.

I've tried looking for rbe on the DLP's and happily have not seen them but I'm terrified of getting the set home and seeing them in a few months. The 'green blob' is scaring me away the Sony A2000 so I'm leaning towards the JVC. Only I haven't found a store displaying the new 97's.

I watch a lot of hockey and SSE scares me considering the descriptions state that it's most noticeable on large patches of white! So, I guess what I'm asking is: Anyone have a link to a photo or video that shows what SSE is?

Thanks.
post #635 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkin71crosby87 View Post

re: SSE

Any pics/demos of what SSE looks like? I've found and seen all the other demos of the drawbacks; ( ie: rbe, sde, and burn-in) through searching, but haven't seen anything but descriptions of SSE. I've spent lots of time looking at the SXRD and DLP's in the store, but I'm not sure if what I'm noticing is SSE.

I've tried looking for rbe on the DLP's and happily have not seen them but I'm terrified of getting the set home and seeing them in a few months. The 'green blob' is scaring me away the Sony A2000 so I'm leaning towards the JVC. Only I haven't found a store displaying the new 97's.

I watch a lot of hockey and SSE scares me considering the descriptions state that it's most noticeable on large patches of white! So, I guess what I'm asking is: Anyone have a link to a photo or video that shows what SSE is?

Thanks.

Cant find any pics, but I think the SSE is probably more noticeable on the JVC than the sony. Its ineviteable on any projection TV, so to avoid it you probably want to go plasma and deal with the glare of light off the glass screen.

I'll let you know and see if I can exaggerate it with the settings and take a pic of it on thursday when the season starts on my FC97.
post #636 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny54 View Post

does anyone have the exact dimensions of the 61fn97?

i am mostly concerned about the width. i want to put the tv in my entertainment unit which has an opening of 57 incnes wide. i have plenty of depth and height.

there are no local stores that have any of these tvs on display.
i looked on jvc's website, but they have a disclaimer that the specifications listed are preliminary and subjecct to change. it lists a width of 55 1/4.
BBs website lists a width of 57.

any help would be appreciated.

this forum has been extremely informative in my decision for a new TV.

THANKS!

Ron

Model 61FN97 is 55 wide.

In the attached picture model 61FN97 is sitting on a 19 ΒΌ X 60 stand.
LL
post #637 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 03:00 PM

Some OTA HD Pics.
LL
LL
post #638 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 04:49 PM

I just saw a 56 FN 97 today. Found one at a Best Buy. I'd been to two different BB's recently and neither had the 97. It is a really nice looking set. The extra yellow definitely stood out. Does SSE happen with DLP also? If so, I think I've figured out what it is. I still didn't see any rbe while looking at dlp's, but I did notice a type of "sparkly" effect, especially in the center of both the dlp's and the lcos'. It does seem more noticeable with the JVC than the Sony A2000. It doesn't really bother me though.

Unfortunately, the 56 is just too big for our set up. Sitting at 7 to 7&1/2 feet seems too close. It gave me the "sitting too close at the theatre" feel. If the JVC made a smaller set it would be the one I'd buy. On the JVC website they have a 52" FA 97 listed under their "true 1080p HD" sets but I can't find anyone selling those.

I'm gonna start looking more at the 50" plasmas. I can't afford the 1080p's, but at only 50" I don't think I would notice too much difference if I get a 720p or 1080i.
post #639 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 05:05 PM

SSE (silk-screen effect), SDE (screen door effect), sparkles, etc. are all describing the same thing. I think Videobruce said it best earlier in the thread, it reminds him of new fallen snow. Most of the time you will see it in whites on RPTVs, and if it is really bad you may see it everywhere.

I tried to take a few pictures before and after my tweaks to show the difference that they made, but pictures really don't allow for it to show up for some reason. Some people notice it more than others, but I think it is apparent to more people that DLP rainbows are. I have played with both the A2000 and the 97 series JVCs (out of the box and playing with the settings) - SSE is worse on the JVC out of the box but they are about equal once each is tweaked in my mind.
post #640 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 05:15 PM

Anyone having a problem inputting a 1080p/60 source into their HDMI inputs? I have the 61FN97 TV. I recently purchased an Anthem AVM-50 which has a built in video processor. When I set the Anthem to output 1080p/60 - I cannot get the picture to sync. The screen alternates between a good picture a black screen and snow.

I may try a new cable - although it is not like they are cheap. I am currently using one that I purchased from HDTV Supply - 15 feet in length rated for 1080p.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #641 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankness View Post

SSE (silk-screen effect), SDE (screen door effect), sparkles, etc. are all describing the same thing. I think Videobruce said it best earlier in the thread, it reminds him of new fallen snow. Most of the time you will see it in whites on RPTVs, and if it is really bad you may see it everywhere.

SDE describes a different phenomenon. SDE can be seen better on a LCD set and at close range the spacing between the pixels make it look like you are looking through a screen door. Interestingly it makes the picture appear sharper (IMO) at a distance.
SSE is the fallen snow stuff.

ptwat
post #642 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-berta View Post

I got some settings from a guy in know that played with one and has a FH96. In Standard mode,
Contrast-20, Color+5,brightness+2, tint+2,sharpness 0 and iris+4. Turn all auto picture, gamma and NR settings off

I use an upconverting DVD player and it works great. The LOTR pics were from CBCHD watching with default in theatre pro and it was theatrelike.

The sports issue has to be the source or my Moto 6412-III as I played some Steelers-Jags MNF I had recorded and it looked fantastic, smooth and vivid. The ND game I think was macroblocking, but not exactly sure what that is.

Shane, might be a good thing waiting a month as prices will probably come down. Some guy posted at DHC he bargained his down for $300 less than I could.

Thanks for the settings! I will make a note of those. It looks like I will not be able to buy until at least the end of the month anyway.

Shane D
post #643 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn7500 View Post

Some OTA HD Pics.

Sweeeeet! I wish I could get uncompressed OTA signals. That looks great.
post #644 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkin71crosby87 View Post

I just saw a 56 FN 97 today. Found one at a Best Buy. I'd been to two different BB's recently and neither had the 97. It is a really nice looking set. The extra yellow definitely stood out. Does SSE happen with DLP also? If so, I think I've figured out what it is. I still didn't see any rbe while looking at dlp's, but I did notice a type of "sparkly" effect, especially in the center of both the dlp's and the lcos'. It does seem more noticeable with the JVC than the Sony A2000. It doesn't really bother me though.

Unfortunately, the 56 is just too big for our set up. Sitting at 7 to 7&1/2 feet seems too close. It gave me the "sitting too close at the theatre" feel. If the JVC made a smaller set it would be the one I'd buy. On the JVC website they have a 52" FA 97 listed under their "true 1080p HD" sets but I can't find anyone selling those.

I'm gonna start looking more at the 50" plasmas. I can't afford the 1080p's, but at only 50" I don't think I would notice too much difference if I get a 720p or 1080i.

50" plasmas are priced pretty decently. The Panasonics and Pioneer look great, I think the Panny is probably more reasonably priced and I saw one side by side to the 56FC97 and really couldnt tell the difference in resolution...both great pics.
post #645 of 6627 Old 10-01-2006, 09:23 PM

Would some kind person please test the firewire connection on this TV and let me know whether there is any hope of streaming to/from the TV from a PC???

Dying to know!

Thanks.
post #646 of 6627 Old 10-02-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meestor_X View Post

Would some kind person please test the firewire connection on this TV and let me know whether there is any hope of streaming to/from the TV from a PC???

Dying to know!

Thanks.

Me too. Does anyone have any info?

John

John
post #647 of 6627 Old 10-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

need some help: just bought the 56fh97 and am trying to get some OTA HD signals. i got a normal uhf/vhf antenna, plugged it into the coax plug on the back (75 omega uhf/vhf) and put the tv on input 1. i'm getting some channels but they are very SD and 4:3. am i doing something wrong? i'm in Toronto and i know for a fact there are at least a few stations in the area brodcasting in HD OTA.
post #648 of 6627 Old 10-02-2006, 07:45 PM

Okay, so many people keep asking. Here are closeup pics taken in a super-macro mode on my point and shoot, taken within 2 or 3 cm from the screen. Image is the sun over Antarctica in the opening scene of The Day After Tomorrow, so it is not true white. The full camera picture is shown (downsized), and a crop of the center from the full resolution shot is also shown (downsized).

The Screen Door Effect is faint but is present on this TV. Do not worry, this is completely invisible at any sane viewing distance. The Silk Screen Effect can be plainly visible, and is the rainbow of colors present when there should only be one color present.
LL
LL
post #649 of 6627 Old 10-02-2006, 10:24 PM

Has anyone figured out how to do any geometric adjustments? for example, my DTV guide menu bends in towards center on the vertical sides as do the black bars on the side when in 4:3 mode. Also, long horizontal straight lines are not level and slope down a bit towards the right side of the screen. Any one else seen this and how can I adjust it? (FN61).
post #650 of 6627 Old 10-03-2006, 05:09 AM

I need some help. I can't figure out how to get the Digital Audio Out to work on the FH97. I have my Toshiba A-1 connected by the HDMI cable so the TV is getting digital sound in and I want to feed that out through the optical cable to my Soundmatters MAINStage.

I switched back and forth between PCM and Dolby Digital out on the Digital Audio menu but I still don't get anything.

Any idea how I am messing up?
post #651 of 6627 Old 10-03-2006, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Mike

I don't have one of these sets so I'm just speculating based on what I've read about other sets.

The optical out of the display is for transmission of audio from the set's tuner, not as a passthrough from the A-1. If you want audio from the A-1 and don't have a HDMI receiver, then use the digital out from the A-1.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #652 of 6627 Old 10-03-2006, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Does SSE happen with DLP also? If so, I think I've figured out what it is. I still didn't see any rbe while looking at dlp's, but I did notice a type of "sparkly" effect, especially in the center of both the dlp's and the lcos'. It does seem more noticeable with the JVC than the Sony A2000. It doesn't really bother me though.

Yes for DLPs' and yes to the "sparkly effect". It's a screen(s) issue. AFAIK, it's worse with JVC (but can be tamed), but since it doesn't bother you it would be a non issue.
Quote:

the 56 is just too big for our set up. Sitting at 7 to 7&1/2 feet seems too close.

It would make the SSE worse. Have you considered the Samsung 5087 or the step-up 5088? I would look at Microdisplays further before I would resort to Plasma.
Quote:

On the JVC website they have a 52" FA 97 listed under their "true 1080p HD" sets but I can't find anyone selling those.

That's nice. Where did this come from all of a sudden?? Bet it's aimed at the low end (wholesale/warehouse) market. Notice the 'chinsy silver' case!
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...hId=125&page=1
http://www.21stcenturydist.com/produ...TVSJVCHD52FA97
http://www.thenerds.net/index.php?pa...=10-26322203-2

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #653 of 6627 Old 10-03-2006, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Mike

I don't have one of these sets so I'm just speculating based on what I've read about other sets.

The optical out of the display is for transmission of audio from the set's tuner, not as a passthrough from the A-1. If you want audio from the A-1 and don't have a HDMI receiver, then use the digital out from the A-1.

OH! so that's it! So what you are saying is that the only way that the Digital Out will kick out a signal is from the TVs tuner off of a digital cable signal. Ok.

I had wanted to connect it through the TV for two reasons... one is that my wife has trouble working more than one box so having the sound from the A-1 come through the TV was great for her to watch discs. Second, it is sometimes nice to beef up the center channel by having the sound come out of the TV and the MAINstage.

But I guess that won't work how I set it up... Now I need a "Plan B"...

Thanks for the help! I appreciate the quick response
post #654 of 6627 Old 10-03-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeyer911 View Post

Here are closeup pics taken in a super-macro mode on my point and shoot, taken within 2 or 3 cm from the screen. The full picture is shown (downsized

The Screen Door Effect is faint but is present on this TV. Do not worry, this is completely invisible at any sane viewing distance. The Silk Screen Effect can be plainly visible, and is the rainbow of colors present when there should only be one color present.

Very interesting photos. However, I'm still a little confused. You say the full picture is shown. Do you mean the whole screen and, if so, how can you take a photo of the full screen from a distance of 2 or 3 cm (1" +/-)? If it is a photo of a very small area of the screen, then I'd say the SDE is non existent because no-one is going to sit 2 or 3 ft from the screen, never mind 2 or 3 cm. As far as the SSE effect being plainly visible, either I'm missing something or my eyes are in worse shape than I thought. Give me some clues as to where to look. Also the Rainbow effect, are you talking about the yellow/green tinges at the sides? What amount of the screen does the photo actually cover (height x width)?
By the way, don't let my comments and questions stop you from putting more pictures on the thread .... keep up the good work.

John

John
post #655 of 6627 Old 10-03-2006, 12:34 PM

Ibnja: I corrected earlier post, that the entire 'camera' image was shown. Thus, the "zoomed out" image is about 120 pixels across, or 0.5% of the screen area. The blow up is about 30 pixels across, or 0.03%.

The silk screen effect are tiny sparkles of the 3 primary colors on the LCOS chips. To my camera, they look like color inhomogeneities that you see in the blowup.

Looking at my pic, it looks like there is green push at the top of the pixel and red at the bottom. Wife is away tonight, so maybe I'll get a pic from a white screen and get rid of my camera shake and focus problem.

Maybe I'm wrong and the sparkles are the white spots in my image in combination with the color variation.
post #656 of 6627 Old 10-03-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla rice View Post

need some help: just bought the 56fh97 and am trying to get some OTA HD signals. i got a normal uhf/vhf antenna, plugged it into the coax plug on the back (75 omega uhf/vhf) and put the tv on input 1. i'm getting some channels but they are very SD and 4:3. am i doing something wrong? i'm in Toronto and i know for a fact there are at least a few stations in the area brodcasting in HD OTA.

van. r that's the analog OTA tuner input. you want the input labelled ATSC/Digital cable.
should be just above the CableCard slot. try it & tell us more. i'd be interested in how well the digital tuner performs.

Jim

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #657 of 6627 Old 10-03-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeyer911 View Post

Ibnja: I corrected earlier post, that the entire 'camera' image was shown. Thus, the "zoomed out" image is about 120 pixels across, or 0.5% of the screen area. The blow up is about 30 pixels across, or 0.03%.

Thanks cmeyer. I'll look again and see if I notice it. More pictures would be great.

Thanks,
John

John
post #658 of 6627 Old 10-03-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastewa View Post

Has anyone figured out how to do any geometric adjustments? for example, my DTV guide menu bends in towards center on the vertical sides as do the black bars on the side when in 4:3 mode. Also, long horizontal straight lines are not level and slope down a bit towards the right side of the screen. Any one else seen this and how can I adjust it? (FN61).

I have something similar with my 61FN but there are no controls on the menu to adjust it and as far as I can tell, there is nothing in the service menu that you can use to adjust it. In my case, the image spreads out to the side as you go downwards. It's not much, maybe 1 cm difference between the top and bottom but it is noticeable. My HD feeds also show this problem so I don't think it's limited to SD mode. For SD mode it is very obvious watching anything because of the black bars on the side but especially obvious when viewing a convergence test pattern from a calibration DVD. With HD, it is also obvious but you need to find some HD content that contains non-moving vertical lines. I DVR'd the BARS & TONES test pattern from INHD and it is easy to see it then.

I have an appointment with the local store that I bought the set from to come and take a look. They are authorized JVC service providers so hopefully they would know how to fix it. If that doesn't lead to a fix, I might call JVC. This is the first time I've had this type of problem so I'm not sure what the best way to handle it is either.

I'll keep you posted and/or maybe someone will post a better way to deal with it.

Meat
post #659 of 6627 Old 10-03-2006, 03:44 PM

Has anyone had their set professionally calibrated yet?
post #660 of 6627 Old 10-03-2006, 06:29 PM

As before, I have a close-up pic from my Canon S2. This time from 1 cm to the screen, on a tripod. True white comes from DVE disc. Picture, Brightness and Iris are turned up to make it really white. A crop from the center is shown for a closeup. Eh, don't really know what to make of the SSE, but it's easy to see that true white is not displayed. I think the Canon is supposed to have pretty accurate color.

Side note, whites on this TV are blinding even with settings turned way down (very distracting, especially for newly Lasik'ed wife). And, in looking for true white, I find lint behind the screen.

Bonus picture of kittens enchanted with Ice Age as I look for good white pic.

Enough useless info, going to go watch a movie and enjoy it.
LL
LL
LL
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page