Official JVC HD-xxFH97 HD-xxFN97 HD-xxFC97 Owners Thread - Page 221 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6601 of 6628 Old 01-13-2013, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My sister has a 56" model that after turn on shuts off after about 2 min. No pic quality issues.No clicking noises that indicate ballast problem. Replaced lamp and that wasn't the problem. Tried unplugging and no change. Orange lights do flash. Followed troubleshooting ideas in manual without any luck. Anyone else come across this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 6628 Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 PM

Liked: 10
I picked up an HD-56FC97 up for $50 - Yes, $50, a few months ago from a guy locally here, who wound up with two of them, after his brother was deployed. It had been in storage, and was rather filthy, but after being cleaned up, it works great, with the exception of the internal speakers, which are hosed. I can't seem to get into the service menu with the prescribed sleep-0, then press Dispaly+Video Status simultaneously...anyone have any suggestions?
post #6603 of 6628 Old 01-19-2013, 12:22 PM

After perusing the thread, I found the following step I'd missed, in attempting to get to the service menu, which was that the remote must be in *both* TV mode an VCR mode (two switches at the top).

The service manual does explicltly state this ("Before entering the SERVICE MODE, confirm that the setting of TV/CATV switch of the REMOTE CONTROL UNIT is at the "TV" side and the setting of VCR/DVD switch is at the "VCR" side. If the switches have not been properly set, you cannot enter the SERVICE MODE."), but I'd just overlooked it.

Afterwards, I got in, and the lamp has 2,139 hours on it. Date of manufacture is January, 2009.
post #6604 of 6628 Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperezbios View Post

After perusing the thread, I found the following step I'd missed, in attempting to get to the service menu, which was that the remote must be in *both* TV mode an VCR mode (two switches at the top).

The service manual does explicltly state this ("Before entering the SERVICE MODE, confirm that the setting of TV/CATV switch of the REMOTE CONTROL UNIT is at the "TV" side and the setting of VCR/DVD switch is at the "VCR" side. If the switches have not been properly set, you cannot enter the SERVICE MODE."), but I'd just overlooked it.

Afterwards, I got in, and the lamp has 2,139 hours on it. Date of manufacture is January, 2009.

So did you get the speakers to work? Maybe they are just turned off in the menu? Or are they making crackling noises?
post #6605 of 6628 Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 PM

My HD61FN97 when powered on only displays the TV picture for less than one minute before going "dark".
Both the blue power led and the orange program/lamp led flash rapidly and simultaneously.After a short wait, pressing the power on button and the cycle repeats, giving me a picture for a very short time.
After depressing the power button to power off the set, the led's continue to flash as aforementioned.
the only way to turn off the flashing lights is to pull the power plug.
Before the screen goes dark, I can go to the Service Menu Screen where the use time of the lamp appears as 07D6
Lamp is approximately 18 months old. Since it does come on briefly each time I start the set, what most likely could be the problem?
post #6606 of 6628 Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerone View Post

My HD61FN97 when powered on only displays the TV picture for less than one minute before going "dark".
Both the blue power led and the orange program/lamp led flash rapidly and simultaneously.After a short wait, pressing the power on button and the cycle repeats, giving me a picture for a very short time.
After depressing the power button to power off the set, the led's continue to flash as aforementioned.
the only way to turn off the flashing lights is to pull the power plug.
Before the screen goes dark, I can go to the Service Menu Screen where the use time of the lamp appears as 07D6
Lamp is approximately 18 months old. Since it does come on briefly each time I start the set, what most likely could be the problem?

Simultaneous flashing can mean three things. One, lamp door open. Two, lamp bad. Three, ballast bad.

When the lamp door is in place, it hits a switch inside the tv that tells the processor that the tv is safe to start. If it's just barely actuating the switch, it can go off when the area heats up and starts to expand. Take off the door and check it out.

Between the lamp and the ballast, it can be hard to troubleshoot. Generally we replace the lamp if it's about due. Just because the lamp lights for a short time doesn't mean it's good, because the lamp ignition process and the sustaining of the arc is two separate things. As the lamp heats up too, it gets harder for the ballast to sustain the arc.

These tvs can also get so clogged up with dust that they overheat quickly and shut themselves down. Generally you should get a different alarm indication than you have if it's overheating.

Please don't buy cheap $35 ebay lamps. They are unreliable if they work at all.
post #6607 of 6628 Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

Simultaneous flashing can mean three things. One, lamp door open. Two, lamp bad. Three, ballast bad.

When the lamp door is in place, it hits a switch inside the tv that tells the processor that the tv is safe to start. If it's just barely actuating the switch, it can go off when the area heats up and starts to expand. Take off the door and check it out.

Between the lamp and the ballast, it can be hard to troubleshoot. Generally we replace the lamp if it's about due. Just because the lamp lights for a short time doesn't mean it's good, because the lamp ignition process and the sustaining of the arc is two separate things. As the lamp heats up too, it gets harder for the ballast to sustain the arc.

These tvs can also get so clogged up with dust that they overheat quickly and shut themselves down. Generally you should get a different alarm indication than you have if it's overheating.

Please don't buy cheap $35 ebay lamps. They are unreliable if they work at all.

Thanks for your suggestions. I was able to borrow some used bulbs and by swapping them out with my 18 month old one, confirmed that it was a bulb problem.
By the way, no where can I see the bulb mfr. name on the bulb inside its cartridge. This present bulb lasted 3300 hours versus previous ones which lasted 4500 - 5000 hours.
I am finding some bulbs assembled in cartridge in the $60 - $90 range. Manufacturer is listed as UHP. Don't know if that's the code for Phillips?
post #6608 of 6628 Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM

Just an positive update, now that RP units are officially dead (Mitsu last to give up)...

My 61FN97 is six + years old. Works great. recently I noticed the picture getting dimmer, not responding much to brightness adjustments, etc.

I had a spare bulb (OEM JVC), so i took the plunge yesterday and replaced the bulb.

The picture is BRIGHT once again, good as new. I know there has been a lot o f advances in TV technology in the last few years, but... to my eyes the picture on this set is STUNNING.
post #6609 of 6628 Old 02-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnotefan View Post

Just an positive update, now that RP units are officially dead (Mitsu last to give up)...

My 61FN97 is six + years old. Works great. recently I noticed the picture getting dimmer, not responding much to brightness adjustments, etc.

I had a spare bulb (OEM JVC), so i took the plunge yesterday and replaced the bulb.

The picture is BRIGHT once again, good as new. I know there has been a lot o f advances in TV technology in the last few years, but... to my eyes the picture on this set is STUNNING.

Yep, when they don't have a problem they have a stunning picture. Good tuners too. Keep it cool. Vacuum out those filters in the side porthole covers regularly.
post #6610 of 6628 Old 06-01-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnotefan View Post

Not many of us left with working sets. I finally replaced my bulb this morning after 6.5 years. It hadn't burned out, but the picture was noticeably dimmer. It looks great again. Forgot to check the hours first, but must have been under 5000, because I never got the nag message.

Now the question is whether I should buy another spare bulb. Which will last longer, the TV or the bulb? Anyone have an OEM bulb sitting around with no TV to put it in?
post #6611 of 6628 Old 06-10-2013, 05:18 PM

Hey Saxhound,

As you said, not many of us left here! And like yours, I need a new bulb too. My TV recently alerted me on screen that the bulb was running low. - after 6 years of use.

But after reading 80 pages or so of this thread, I still CAN NOT find the proper bulb rec for my 56FN. What bulb did you end up buying and from what company? I would so appreciate any feedback/advice you would have since I have never installed a bulb before. Also, is there a tutorial on how to take apart the TV?

And I think you should ride this final bulb out. If you can get another 4 years out of it it will definitely be time for a new tv by then. At least then you could toss it on CList and make $50 bucks.

Thanks for your ideas/advice!
post #6612 of 6628 Old 06-10-2013, 05:30 PM

I bought it a couple years ago from another member here who had two original bulbs. I sent him a PM last week, but the second one is gone. This is still showing up for $199 in a search.

http://store.jvc.com/product.asp?Model=TS-CL110UAA

I think I'd be more inclined to buy a couple of the $35 ones from Amazon.

I'm also finding this:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/p-23-jvc-ts-cl110uaa-lamp-replacement-ts-cl110u.aspx
post #6613 of 6628 Old 06-15-2013, 07:40 AM

The bulb replacement is easy. Unplug (make sure the set has been off for a while), and open the bulb door in the left rear (one Philips screw). Loosen the two Philips screws on the bulb housing (they don't need to come all the way out), and gently slide the entire housing straight out. You probably want to clean that area out - I used a little shop vac and a very slightly damp rag. Insert the new bulb, tighten the screws and replace the door. While you have the shop vac there, clean out the two vents (one on either side).

Taking the screen off to clean the inside is a bigger project. There used to be a link in this thread with great pictures and instructions, but I think it is gone. IIRC, one of the most important things is to remove the speakers first and disconnect the wires. Otherwise, when you go to remove the screen, you won't be able to pull it away from the TV. Removing the screen is a two person job. Remove all the screws (there must have been about 20 - save the top of screen ones for last), and with a helper gently lift the screen assembly off the front. Have your helper hold the screen in place as you remove the last couple screws. Be careful not to flex it. Make sure you have cleared an area on your floor to lay it down flat. I put down a nice soft blanket. Wipe the inside and outside of the screen with a clean damp rag or lint free cloth. I wouldn't recommend trying to separate the layers of the screen. Someone here did that, and had a lot of trouble getting it back together.

Cleaning:
Shop vac the inside of the cabinet with a nice soft brush. Ideally, empty your shop vac and put a clean filter on it first so you don't recycle dust back into the area. I even clamped some cheesecloth over the exhaust port. With the exception of the mirror and lens, don't use any cleaning products, just wipe everything you can reach with a slightly damp rag. Be gentle around the electronics.

Use a lint free cloth and alcohol based screen cleaner on the lens (I used Maxell Digital Screen Cleaner and an eyeglass cleaning cloth I bought at Walmart).

It is possible to remove the mirror, but I cleaned it in place. Use Windex and a lint free cloth. Spray the Windex on the cloth, not the mirror, and work a small section at a time. If the cloth gets dirty, use a fresh one. In order to really see the dirt, it helps to get down on the floor in front and shine a bright flashlight at the mirror. I was surprised how much I missed after the first pass.

Re-assemble by reversing the process. It does help to have a magnetized Philips screwdriver, as some of the screw openings are deep inside the frame holes, and it's hard to get them lined up.

It took about an hour and a half total, because I was being very careful.Could probably do it in a hour now that I know what I am doing. In fact, I really need to do it again soon, as it has been three years. I was watching the hockey game the other night, and I could see some dark smudges on the ice that are either on the mirror or the inside of the screen.

Good luck.

Edit: Just searched and found my original post on this - it's #6248 in this thread. Seems like I remembered most of the important stuff. Forgot that I removed the screen by myself!
post #6614 of 6628 Old 06-24-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxhound View Post

Not many of us left with working sets. I finally replaced my bulb this morning after 6.5 years. It hadn't burned out, but the picture was noticeably dimmer. It looks great again. Forgot to check the hours first, but must have been under 5000, because I never got the nag message.
I just had the same experience. Mine looks very, very fine.
Quote:
The bulb replacement is easy.
Very easy.
Quote:
I still CAN NOT find the proper bulb rec for my 56FN. What bulb did you end up buying and from what company?
I bought this and, so far, it's just fine. It is inexpensive so I will probably order a second as a spare. http://www.amazon.com/JVC-TS-CL110UAA-Replacement-Housing-Warranty/dp/B0055KD9Q2
post #6615 of 6628 Old 08-21-2013, 01:02 PM

We've had our 70FH97 since October 2006 and continue to be impressed by the picture and everything else. Over the years friends have commented that they have never seen a better picture and it's like being in a theater. (Knock on wood....hopefully it will keep this caliber going for some time).
post #6616 of 6628 Old 08-31-2013, 06:10 AM

Remarkably enough, after I replaced the bulb as I posted above, the nag message appeared just a few weeks later! I went into the menu and reset the timer and am still very happy with my JVC.
post #6617 of 6628 Old 08-31-2013, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxhound View Post

Green sparkle lines are usually an hdmi / hdcp issue when you change inputs - say from a dvd player to a sat or cable box when both are connected via hdmi. For some reason, you don't get a clean changeover, and you get those green squiggly lines that come and go. The only solution I have found is to power the TV off and on.

well my green squiggle problem is becoming more frequent, and its apparently not an hdmi issue because its doing it over direct plug in cable channels so its a video processing problem...

i dont suppose thats a replaceable part like the hdmi board or should i start shopping around for new display?

Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class
Especially since I rule.
post #6618 of 6628 Old 10-20-2013, 08:48 AM

I purchased a JVC HD61FN97 back in Nov 2006. It has been working like a champ. It is used I would say average 20 hours a week, so over 7000 hours since purchased. Lamp replacement light notice started coming on last week and it has been dimmer in past few months. I bought a lamp from http://replacementlightbulbs.com - the Neolux 100-120/1.0 P20 Osram part 69075 for $45.00. I wanted to go with name brand but just thought the Philips bulb was too much to spend on a TV this old. The Neolux line is made by Osram and is designed to compete with lower price generics. I've been in sales/marketing for several major manufacturers for a long time; I know many company will create a new "value" oriented line to go after a certain market segment. Often times it's their same normal product just in different packaging. I have no fact that Neolux line follows this model; it's just a hunch. Anyway, I got the new lamp installed and it's working great.

I did go cheap and ordered just the lamp and not the full assemble. The wires in original JVC lamp assembly were soldered onto lamp. The Neolux lamp had small screw tabs for wires, but no screws or wire provided. So I had to cut the wires from original, crimp on some ring terminals and find correct screws for Neolux. Not that difficult, but just a heads up if you plan to do the same.
post #6619 of 6628 Old 10-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewood View Post

I purchased a JVC HD61FN97 back in Nov 2006. It has been working like a champ. It is used I would say average 20 hours a week, so over 7000 hours since purchased. Lamp replacement light notice started coming on last week and it has been dimmer in past few months. I bought a lamp from http://replacementlightbulbs.com - the Neolux 100-120/1.0 P20 Osram part 69075 for $45.00. I wanted to go with name brand but just thought the Philips bulb was too much to spend on a TV this old. The Neolux line is made by Osram and is designed to compete with lower price generics. I've been in sales/marketing for several major manufacturers for a long time; I know many company will create a new "value" oriented line to go after a certain market segment. Often times it's their same normal product just in different packaging. I have no fact that Neolux line follows this model; it's just a hunch. Anyway, I got the new lamp installed and it's working great.

I did go cheap and ordered just the lamp and not the full assemble. The wires in original JVC lamp assembly were soldered onto lamp. The Neolux lamp had small screw tabs for wires, but no screws or wire provided. So I had to cut the wires from original, crimp on some ring terminals and find correct screws for Neolux. Not that difficult, but just a heads up if you plan to do the same.

Good for you. The Neolux as you mentioned is Osram's answer to the cheap Chinese lamps, their main and more expensive line is the P-VIP lamp which is close to the price of the Philips. Keep us posted on the reliability of the Neolux please.

Keep those foam filters in the side inspection panels clean.
post #6620 of 6628 Old 12-24-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well add me to the yellow blob club mad.gif

My 61FN is just shy of 7 years old, sucks they can't be fixed it's been a great set and I hate to see it go over a stupid $5 part.

Thinking about scooping up the last of the Panny 65" plazma's before everything goes LED this spring.
post #6621 of 6628 Old 12-25-2013, 07:08 PM

The Yellow Blob problem really is a shame. I have had my 61" set now for 7 years and it is still going strong (knock on wood). I have bought 2 other LCD sets and one plasma - all smaller - for other rooms in my house. I still like the JVC. If it ever goes I will get a Plasma.
post #6622 of 6628 Old 01-08-2014, 01:57 PM

ok, I have a solid blue screen with no picture, nothing is displayed, not even menus for tv adjustments or inputs, any ideas where to start or not?

it does have sound from the program not being displayed.
post #6623 of 6628 Old 01-20-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedclampit View Post

ok, I have a solid blue screen with no picture, nothing is displayed, not even menus for tv adjustments or inputs, any ideas where to start or not?

it does have sound from the program not being displayed.

Update, took back cover off , removed 6 screws(4 on a cover/stiffner plate, one on each end of chassis) removed entire chassis from cabinet, blew of ALOT of fine powdery dust from chassis, unplugged and plugged back in every connector i could find, took light engine final path/projector lens off and cleaned inside and out, reassembled, have picture again!!! But it is really red and looks bad if there is any red in the video,even worse with color turned all the way down.

SO I fixed it and messed it up!
I had nothing to lose right.!!

Any ideas where I may have gone wrong?? rolleyes.gif

I
post #6624 of 6628 Old 01-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

A few months ago mine didn't start up, and saw the blinking blue and orange and figured it was something big. Have had bulbs go out before and don't remember seeing that. Read this thread for the first time in a long time, and just re-checked it (61-FN97) and it tries to start up, I hear it trying to get the bulb to light up, and after about 10-15 seconds it gives up and the dual leds start blinking together. Removed the bulb, blew out the cavity, checked the switch and tried it again with the same result. So I'll get a new Bulb and see what happens. Bought from Discount merchant before but may try that $45 osram bulb this time.

We live in the family room where we have a very nice Panny 55" LCD, but it would be nice to get the JVC working again. (its up in the bonus room)

JET
post #6625 of 6628 Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Well I picked up that Amazon deal on a JVC bulb...and it works again! Sadly my APC backup power unit needs a new battery now, so I ordered one up. (WA has Electrical lines running all over the state next to trees, so trees come down in wind, we loose power. Lines are buried in some home tracks built in the last 15yrs like ours, but we're still at the mercy of the surrounding area. Stupid, Stupid....)

So time to get a few more thousand hours on it! Ha Ha...Well over 22,000 hours and counting!

JET
post #6626 of 6628 Old 07-21-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hopefully people out there who can help. Have the 61FH97 for 6 years now, replaced bulb once. TV still works great!
Have moved it a couple of times, in the last year and it seems hazy dark spots, of different sizes, have appeared , they do not move.
Was wondering if this might be dust, that was knocked lose, when moving, that might actually be on a lens or inside the screen itself and if anyone has run into this and found a solution. Don't want to really tear tv apart, until I've exhausted all avenues.

Thanks, in advance!
post #6627 of 6628 Old 07-21-2014, 01:50 PM

I just replaced my bulb again today. The original bulb was replaced several years ago at 6500 hours with a Oshram bulb. The original bulb died very suddenly without a whole lot of warning. The Oshram bulb last 7200 hours and still technically works, but has become very dim, especially over the last few months. That bulb was just replaced by a Neolux bulb, so hopefully, that can carry me through until I break down and buy a 4K TV....

--RRRoamer
post #6628 of 6628 Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalev View Post
Hopefully people out there who can help. Have the 61FH97 for 6 years now, replaced bulb once. TV still works great!
Have moved it a couple of times, in the last year and it seems hazy dark spots, of different sizes, have appeared , they do not move.
Was wondering if this might be dust, that was knocked lose, when moving, that might actually be on a lens or inside the screen itself and if anyone has run into this and found a solution. Don't want to really tear tv apart, until I've exhausted all avenues.

Thanks, in advance!
Probably just dust bunnies on the projector lens. Do a search on this thread for dust or blob & some very detailed threads with pics will come up. Pretty easy, just pop off the hatches on the sides with the foam filters (clean these while they are off). You will see the lens sitting in the middle of the set, face up. I folded up a couple microfiber cloths & rubber banded them to a yardstick. Just reach (carefully) in thru one of the open hatches & gently wipe the lens.
Careful to not stir up the other dust that will be covering everythig inside !!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page