Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF View Post

Are any of you going with an extended warranty and if so, how much are they charging for it ? I almost never buy one but I might with this set .

Thanks

Even Consumer Reports, which almost always says that extended warrenties aren't worth it, recommends them for current big-screen hdtv purchases right now (as long as you don't pay more than 15-20% of the cost of the TV).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyter View Post

RoadRunner,

What about the color and tint adjustments with the HDMI connection to the 8300 ?

I have my 8300HD DVR connected via HDMI and also component. all adjustments are available thru each.

Columbia SC
post #93 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankness View Post

Edge to the Sony on changing inputs, unless I am missing something on with the JVC. It takes FOREVER to move from Input 1 to Digital 1 and Digital 2. I see where you can rename the inputs, but I don't see how you can skip them as you can with the Sony. That is going to get aggravating.

Now THAT is a major disappointment.

I was so hoping JVC would've at least done something to make easier to switch inputs on this generatoin of sets.

I just bought a cheap little 26" LCD that has the same amount inputs, HDMI, Component, S-Vid., VGA, etc., and it switches inputs as fast as you can push the button. Gimme a break JVC.

Chris

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
post #94 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
RoadRunner,

Which version of the software does your 8300 use? Mine is SARA 1.88 something.

I just noticed that you are from Irmo...my son just moved to Chapin !
post #95 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've been able to use component audio out, but the digital optical out appears to be broken. Hopefully that is something that can be fixed onsite, as I don't want another TV delivered (and we have to take it up two flights of stairs to the attic!).

Anyway, on Saturday we'll get a set-top box and I hope that we'll just use the sound directly from that to the sound system.

Changing the inputs is very slow. I would think they would have come up with something better than this level of performance. But overall that is not a major complaint, but it is annoying.
post #96 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

Now THAT is a major disappointment.

I was so hoping JVC would've at least done something to make easier to switch inputs on this generatoin of sets.

I just bought a cheap little 26" LCD that has the same amount inputs, HDMI, Component, S-Vid., VGA, etc., and it switches inputs as fast as you can push the button. Gimme a break JVC.

Chris

This really annoyed with my JVC 720p series set but I got around it by using a Harmony 880 remote.

During the setup of the Harmony remote, even though the default setup for my JVC set was to switch between the inputs sequentially, I chose the other option which was to switch to a specific input directly. It then listed me the available commands to send to switch directly to a specific input. I simply selected HDMI, VIDEO1, VIDEO2, etc.. for each corresponding input and that was it! I could switch between input sources directly with no delay, except for the 1 second or so it took to execute the command. This means that there ARE infact IR commands that the sets can recognize to switch input sources directly because in this mode, the harmony is not sending a sequence of input cycle commands. It's just sending ONE command. JVC just chose to not add them to their remotes...

For those that have the harmony 880, try setting up the JVC this way instead of the default method which cycles through the inputs. If the Fx97's aren't listed in the TV database, pick the 61FH96 (which also has the 2 HDMI inputs) and make sure you chose the option to switch to input sources DIRECTLY. This will then give you a list of SINGLE IR commands to send for each input. Pick the appropriate command for each input and save...

I'm currently waiting for the 61FN97 to arrive at a local retailer where I get great deals from cause I know the manager. I REALLY hope the 61FN97 has this ability as well because it would drive me nuts if I had to cycle through the input sources again..

Meat
post #97 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the info meatster... I have the 880 and noticed that it selects the input rather than cycling. I just hadn't put 2 and 2 together to realize that I can use it to be quicker.

Along those same lines, the harmony setup site doesn't have the xxFx97 series in their database yet, so it uses the commands from the xxFx96. Haven't found anything that doesn't work yet...
post #98 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnja View Post

Gammadude. Are you comparing the 56FN97 with a 56" FH96 or a 70" ? I would expect a 70" to show more grain than a 56" from the same viewing distance regardless of the model year. John.

I was comparing the 70" FH96 to the 56" FH97. They didn't have a 70" on display.
post #99 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 11:46 AM

I bought the 5 yr extended warranty ..It cost me $ 375.00 ..But with electronics that cost as much as these do ..I think it's a must . 6 yrs of coverage with the factory warranty.
I noticed that Benjamin said his optical audio out wasnt working ..That was one of my problems ..Road ..Have you had any problems ? ..Mine wasn't even lit up and when I saw the TV at BB ..the optical was lit up in the back .. I also have the Harmoy 880 and It works great but it uses the code from last years model ..I have a Xbox 360 ..PS 2 and my DVD and Theater Tuner all programed and my Lighting as well ..When I push play for my DVD ..The lights dim to dark and if I push pause they come back on ..I love that remote + I bought off of Ebay for 125.00 and saved some serious $.
post #100 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Just what we need is another 'One and only' thread.

The reason for the thread is for those who would like LCOS but don't have room for/want/need dumbo ears. Apparently, the thread already exists, but it's mostly filled with mudslinging and misinformation, and nothing since the JVC shipped. I did find one question in there that may not have been asked yet. Does the JVC have convergence settings? Thanks.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&page=1&pp=30
post #101 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 01:23 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

Thanks guys . I have a 65" Mitsu that is almost 6 years old and I didn't get an extended warranty, but haven't had any problems . Guess I was lucky . But these newer technologies scare me a bit (the Mitsu is CRT ) , so I'll go with the ext. war .
post #102 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 01:30 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatster View Post

This really annoyed with my JVC 720p series set but I got around it by using a Harmony 880 remote.

During the setup of the Harmony remote, even though the default setup for my JVC set was to switch between the inputs sequentially, I chose the other option which was to switch to a specific input directly. It then listed me the available commands to send to switch directly to a specific input. I simply selected HDMI, VIDEO1, VIDEO2, etc.. for each corresponding input and that was it! I could switch between input sources directly with no delay, except for the 1 second or so it took to execute the command. This means that there ARE infact IR commands that the sets can recognize to switch input sources directly because in this mode, the harmony is not sending a sequence of input cycle commands. It's just sending ONE command. JVC just chose to not add them to their remotes...

For those that have the harmony 880, try setting up the JVC this way instead of the default method which cycles through the inputs. If the Fx97's aren't listed in the TV database, pick the 61FH96 (which also has the 2 HDMI inputs) and make sure you chose the option to switch to input sources DIRECTLY. This will then give you a list of SINGLE IR commands to send for each input. Pick the appropriate command for each input and save...

I'm currently waiting for the 61FN97 to arrive at a local retailer where I get great deals from cause I know the manager. I REALLY hope the 61FN97 has this ability as well because it would drive me nuts if I had to cycle through the input sources again..

Meat

These types of IR commands are called "discrete" commands (On/Off is also usually a toggle without discrete commands ) . It's great when a manufacturer includes them because it gives you MUCH more flexibility .
post #103 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF View Post

These types of IR commands are called "discrete" commands (On/Off is also usually a toggle without discrete commands ) . It's great when a manufacturer includes them because it gives you MUCH more flexibility .

Yea but they are usually only provided through the RS-232 interface. It's great that JVC also supports them through their IR interface (even though it's undocumented) but this functionality is SO ANNOYING out of the box with the JVC remote, it's a shame that they haven't done anything to address it by now.

Maybe the assume (probably correct) that anyone buying these models will already own or will be buying a good universal remote that will do them... The problem with this thinking is that when someone goes to a showroom to see the JVC's in person and uses the stock JVC remote, they will certainly be put off by it.

Meat
post #104 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 02:34 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

Yes, but it gives the salesman an opportunity to sell you another piece of equipment !
post #105 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow, this is the first time I've seen anything posted on direct input access. I bought 2 of the 61" Pro's so I'll bet the codes for the FH96 will work for the Pro as well. Thanks for the info, meatster.

Chris

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
post #106 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 04:47 PM

OK, I'm In...!

Just picked up the 61FN97 today at BB - have not taken it out of the box.

I will hook up only via HDMI input using a JVC RX-D702B A/V receiver.

Going into the A/V via HDMI is a:

Sony DVP-NS75H DVD player and
DirecTV H20 HD receiver

I hope that will work.

I wanted the FH97 because it was all black, but no one had it in stock in Denver.

So, PLEASE... I need tips on tweaking the PQ...what do I set everything at????
post #107 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 07:23 PM

Any one has any dates for release of the 56" model of FH97
post #108 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majeskty View Post

It's available already. I spoke with my local BB this evening and they have one in stock. Nothing to show off on the floor yet though.
post #109 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majeskty View Post

It's available now. I spoke with my local BB this evening and they have one in stock. Nothing to show off on the floor yet though.
post #110 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 07:42 PM

Any one can mention about anti glare screen on the JVC. We have a window several feet behind our heads but there could be a problem with reflection. We are limited to this location since my wife does not like downstairs.

Have an 45 in Mit's and problems with reflection unless the drapes are pulled. Put a 'Mighty Shield' protective screen which was anti glare and instantly a TV picture without reflections with full sun coming though the window, it was amazing. All companies should use this type of material on these expensive TV's.

Thanks for any information.
James
post #111 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 07:48 PM

James - I can't comment on a window behind, but we have 3 GIANT windows to the right (18' tall, 20' wide between the 3). There was a ridiculous glare during the day on my 36" CRT, no glare at all today with full sunshine on the 56" JVC. I was impressed. Now, it was 'dimmer' in a sense because of all of the ambient light, but there were not any reflections/glare on the screen...

Hope that helps.
post #112 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankness View Post

James - I can't comment on a window behind, but we have 3 GIANT windows to the right (18' tall, 20' wide between the 3). There was a ridiculous glare during the day on my 36" CRT, no glare at all today with full sunshine on the 56" JVC. I was impressed. Now, it was 'dimmer' in a sense because of all of the ambient light, but there were not any reflections/glare on the screen...

Hope that helps.

Lankness,
Thanks for the reply. Any information from someone with it actually in their home and not the show room is great. Show rooms definitely are made to just show the picture and not what it will look like in your own home conditions.

James
post #113 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 09:38 PM

Speaking of the JVC issue of slow input selection, the poster speaking above about the Harmony 880 is right. I have the 880 and love it.

Also, if you have an A/V receiver capable of HDMI switching, you never need to change the JVC TV input. Mine is the JVC RX-D702B.

I plug in my DirecTV via HDMI to the 702B and my Sony DVD player via HDMI as well. The only cable to the TV is HDMI into the Digital-1 input.

No input selection needed.
post #114 of 6627 Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 PM

Went by the Tweeter store in West U. (see details below) today. Found it is under construstion, well half the store is anyway. AC was provided by one of those industrial portable units inside the show room.

Just wanted to let you all know that I looked at nine different HDTV of all different types (Plasma, DLP, and LCD). But, there was no JVC, or any LCoS for that matter, in the store. Rather odd. Turns out Tweeter doesn't carry JVC HDTVs at all, though no one knew why.

However, due to the time I need to get some rest before tomorrow shows up. So I will see all of you tomorrow with my actual reviews. Don't mean to tease, but with the way I type (all thumbs), I won't get any sleep tonight.

BTW, found out (by accident) the best way to get a salesman to leave you alone, tell him you are not planning on buying for two months. Three sentences later, he was gone, which left me ALLLLLL the quiet time I wanted to examine some tvs. Insert sarcasm where neccessary.

Details, details (Stupid geography ones anyway):
West U. = West University Place, TX. It is A TINY city (only 2.0 square miles) inside of Houston, complete with its own police, fire, ambulance, town hall and all. Though its not as small as Southside Place, TX (also inside Houston) at 0.2 square miles. Look them up on wikipedia for more info if your interested. I actually live in Houston, which is just over six HUNDRED square miles. I think both extremes are a just a wee bit silly, but thats just me. Houston also has the running joke of taking an hour to drive across, unless its rush hour, then your lucky to get out of your neighborhood in an hour. Oh yeah, there is no zoning here either, so you can find a strip club next to a church, which is across the street from the elementary school.
post #115 of 6627 Old 09-01-2006, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohurst View Post

Road,

Can you measure the height of the 61fn97 from bottom of stand to the top - specs say 40" but another schematic I saw showed 41 3/8"?

I have a vertical space of 58.25" to fit the TV and need to find furniture that will work. The JVC stand - RK-CEXM7 - is 19.75" tall so this won't fit.

Thanks

Sorry, I bought the HD-56FN97 , It specs out at 37 1/8" but actual measurement is 36 7/8" to the top rear edge of the bezel.

Columbia SC
post #116 of 6627 Old 09-01-2006, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeyer911 View Post

The reason for the thread is for those who would like LCOS but don't have room for/want/need dumbo ears. Apparently, the thread already exists, but it's mostly filled with mudslinging and misinformation, and nothing since the JVC shipped. I did find one question in there that may not have been asked yet. Does the JVC have convergence settings? Thanks.

How can one have a comparision thread with a product that isn't out yet? Especially if it has to do with what's important: PQ. I really don't know why these "speculation" threads take up so much of these forums.

As far as "convergence", sort of. See the "What's Inside" thread;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=638602

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #117 of 6627 Old 09-01-2006, 06:31 AM

WOW!!! Just got my 61FN97 yesterday. WOW!!! The picture quality is fantastic, even without adjusting any settings the PQ is great. WOW!!! We have floor to ceiling windows on 3 sides of the room, we see very little reflection. When the set is off you see a lot of glare and reflection but when you turn it on the vast majority of it goes away. You have to really look for it to see the glare. My wife noticed immediately that the reflections were gone compared to our old CRT. WOW!!! I attached my old Toshiba DVD with an S-Video cable. The PQ was very good, not as good as HDTV but much better than I was expecting. I can't wait until the DVD war is over and see HD-DVD, Blue Ray on this set. WOW!!! SD picture quality is acceptable. Of course it is not as good as HDTV but it won't stop me from watching an SD channel. WOW!!! In the manual it says that Macintosh computers are not supported but they do work. I am writing this as I am connected to the JVC. I am using a 17" Powerbook G4. You must have video mirroring turned on. I could not get the JVC to be a second monitor to expand my screen space. Be sure to choose 640x480 or 1024x768 at 60Hz. The PQ is crisp and clear, I can read my email from 20 feet away. Now I might have to purchase a longer cable. iPhotos look fantastic. WOW!!! I am going to go back to playing with the settings now. In case I forgot to mention it my overall impression of the JVC is WOW!!!
post #118 of 6627 Old 09-01-2006, 06:51 AM

Costco has the 56fn97 up on thier website.

Do these tv's support full 1080p signals?
post #119 of 6627 Old 09-01-2006, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I wonder what mltennis thinks of his set??

Do you have cable and/or a OTA (indoor or outdoor) antenna that you could do a channel scan and see if the digital channels (NOT analog) that are in your area that are NOT picked up by the original scan (because od direction) can be accessed by entering in the actual UHF channel number (if you know it) or the re-mapped number. Example; the NBC affiliate here is analog ch. 2, their digital channel is ch 33. Most sets it will be re-mapped to 2.1

PS; welcome to the forums.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #120 of 6627 Old 09-01-2006, 07:41 AM

Alright guys, I gotta ask this...hows the PC and console gaming on these sets? Also, anyone know the max refresh rate thru component, s-video, HDMI, etc? Are they all limited to 60hz?

Thanks!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page