Official JVC HD-xxFH97 HD-xxFN97 HD-xxFC97 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread is for Owner experience of JVC HD-56FN97 HD-61FN97 HD-70FN97 HD56FH97 HD-61FH97 HD-70FH97 HD-52FA97 HD-56FB97 HD-61FB97 HD-56FC97 HD-61FC97

Columbia SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Here we go:

Flat out- The most gorgeous, detailed, lifelike TV picture I have EVER seen. This is what HD is all about. There is "Very Good", "Great" but this is "Oh my God, That's what a 'TV" can do!"

For Starters- Tuned to an HD program on Time Warner Cable in Columbia SC, Star Wars - The Revenge of the Sith was playing. This really is the Crown Jewel of Lucas's cinematography. In some of the space battles there is an intense commotion of high energy action in the foreground, midground, all on a background of intricate planet surface detail. In the fight scene on the lava, you could almost feel the heat. The range of reds that were displayed was breathtaking. The JVC conveyed the images colors detail motion and blacks in such a superior way that my family was absolutely drop-jawed.
You will be absolutely blown away by the Picture Quality (PQ for those videophiles) on these units. If one of these is in the screen size and price range that you are looking for, you cannot go wrong. There may be technology coming (SED for one) that may eventually be better, but this is truly the State of the Art in Q3 2006.

PQ is top concern, but for many, the way the unit handles sound is also important. Many will hook this up to a good quality audio surround system and immerse themselves in a sea of rich sound, but for convenience, of for some necessity, the sets internal sound is very important.
The current trend, especially in large screen HDTV's is to put the speakers below the screen, in the spot where the typical Home Theater setup puts it's center "dialog" speaker. (more on that later). This really does help to make for a smaller set that allows you to fit a much larger screen into an allotted space, or to at least give the set a little less of a room dominating quality.
While it doesn't rival our surround setup, it surprized me with depth of field, range clarity and deep bass. A couple of times I turned my head towards a voice behind me, only to jolt my self back to reality as I saw my living room wall. Spaital sound placement was very believable. The Star Wars sound track even on the internal speakers helped to put us in the action. I can't wait to get this thing hooked up to the audio system.
O.K. On that center dialog speaker thing. JVC has solved a problem for home theater setups in a really cool way. If you want to run the sound thru your Surround system, the "Center Channel" output from your Amp plugs into an input on the back of the TV. When you do this, it converts your optimally positioned internal TV speakers into center channel speakers for the surround system. Is that trick or what?

Bottom line: Drop dead gorgeous PQ, very satisfying internal sound, smallest package possible for the level of technology delivered. Five Star Baby!

Columbia SC
post #3 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

For Future use

User guides for For those who asked, combined user guides for the FC, FH and FN series in 56, 61 and 70 should now be available here

http://books.jvcservice.com/booklist...D-56F&x=28&y=4

HD-56FC97 HD-61FC97
HD-56FH97 HD-61FH97 HD-70FH97
HD-56FN97 HD-61FN97 HD-70FN97

Columbia SC
post #4 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Road Runner,

Nice review.

In the JVC specifications, much is made of processing that'll make standard definition look better. What are your thoughts about how the display handles standard definition off of cable/satellite and DVD.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #5 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 06:13 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

Road Runner,

Can you have seperate settings (contrast. color, brightness etc.) for each input ?

Thanks
post #6 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 08:08 AM

Road,

Can you confirm it accepts 1080p via HDMI?
post #7 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 08:22 AM

Unlike the FH "1080" JVC LCD the new 1080P D-ILA's will have a dirrect 1080P passthrough. So it accepts and displays 1080P through the HDMI input.

This is straight from the GM of JVC Canada's mouth.

I can say the PQ is simply stunning on the 1080i JVC player, hooked up to the Toshiba HD DVD player "Training Day" was probably the most enjoyable HD experiance I've had in my long time in this business
post #8 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Road Runner,

Nice review.

In the JVC specifications, much is made of processing that'll make standard definition look better. What are your thoughts about how the display handles standard definition off of cable/satellite and DVD.

One of the first things we did was tune to some SD stations. Now one KEY thing in our market with Time Warner Cable is knowing that any station above 13 is simulcast in analog for direct cable input to the TV and Digital for any output from a Digital Converter or DVR. We have an HD DVR.

This set replaced a Toshiba 720P 52HM95. Hard to do a direct comparison, BUT, I think that the Digital channels on the HD-56FN97 are almost as good as the HD channels on the 52HM95.

Columbia SC
post #9 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 10:45 AM

rr-

i posted this over on the other thread. could you give me some details on the p&p and the multi-screen functions. does the index feature require a cable card?
post #10 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 01:14 PM

[quote=Road Runner]Here we go:

Flat out- The most gorgeous, detailed, lifelike TV picture I have EVER seen. This is what HD is all about. There is "Very Good", "Great" but this is "Oh my God, That's what a 'TV" can do!"

For Starters- Tuned to an HD program on Time Warner Cable in Columbia SC, Star Wars - The Revenge of the Sith was playing. This really is the Crown Jewel of

_what_ set is this post talking about ?
post #11 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
See above - HD56FN97

Go Duke !
post #12 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 05:58 PM

Help please --

BB here in Denver has the 61FN97 at their warehouse and Ultimate Electronics has the 61FH97 at theirs -- is there any difference in cabinet color?????

THANKS
post #13 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Will the HDMI ports accept input from a PC by way of DVI-->HDMI converter?

Larry
post #14 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohurst View Post

Help please --

BB here in Denver has the 61FN97 at their warehouse and Ultimate Electronics has the 61FH97 at theirs -- is there any difference in cabinet color?????

THANKS

Yes, the FN has SILVER trim and the FH is all BLACK.
post #15 of 6628 Old 08-26-2006, 09:22 PM

NC, are you sure? I know the JVC website appears to show that, but the pictures are crappy. If the FH is all black, that is the one for me, but I want to be sure.
post #16 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

FC97 serise 56" 61" Black Cabinet Black bezel straight speaker grille w/10cm round speakers (see HD-70FH97 picture for detail*) No PC input, no RS232C input, no center channel input .Has A.T.C. tone correction instead of Voice Enhancement feature

FH97 56" 61" 70" Black Cabinet Black bezel, quarter round illuminated JVC logo on speaker grille w/12.5cm oval speakers 56" and 61" only(see HD-56FH97 picture for detail*) Black Cabinet Black bezel straight speaker grille w/10cm round speakers 70" only (see HD-70FH97 picture for detail*) PC input, RS232C input, center channel input, Has Voice Enhancement feature
instead of A.T.C. tone correction, Gold plated connectors.

FN97 56" 61" 70" Black Cabinet Silver bezel, quarter round illuminated JVC logo on speaker grille w/12.5cm oval speakers (see HD-56FN97 picture for detail*) PC input, no RS232C input, Center channel input, Has Voice Enhancement feature
instead of A.T.C. tone correction.

In short (relationship to the mainstream FN97 series):

The FC deletes the PC input and center channel input, different speakers and sound managemet feature, All black cabinet.

The more expensive FH97 series adds a RS232C input, has gold plated connectors, and an all black cabinet. The 70" only shares some cabinet detail and speakers with the FC97 series.

*See JVC website for Photos of different models http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?produ...502&pathId=125

Columbia SC
post #17 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF View Post

Road Runner,

Can you have seperate settings (contrast. color, brightness etc.) for each input ?

Thanks

Each input has its own setting assigned to it.

I searched the owners guide and it did not show this, but when I set input to a particular input, did some adjustments, they were remembered for that input. If I selected another input, I could also make specific adjustments for that input, and they would stick.

Also you can assign a different setting to a HD 1080 signal vs a SD Digital signal one the same input.

Columbia SC
post #18 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 07:37 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post

Each input has its own setting assigned to it.

I searched the owners guide and it did not show this, but when I set input to a particular input, did some adjustments, they were remembered for that input. If I selected another input, I could also make specific adjustments for that input, and they would stick.

EXCELLENT!!!!

Thanks Road Runner .
post #19 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 09:08 AM

Anybody have any new information as to when the FH97 series will become available?
post #20 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makanmata View Post

Anybody have any new information as to when the FH97 series will become available?

All I can say is Ultimate Electronics here in Denver will have the 61FH97 Monday. BB already has the 61FN97.
post #21 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 10:53 AM

Hi all -

Can anyone comment (RoadRunner?) on the feasibility of using the TV speaker as a center channel in a 5.1 surround setup? I have a 5.1 THX set of speakers (M&K 750THX) that has a matched center channel, but I love the idea of not needing to set up a shelf above the set for the M&K center channel. I do not want to make a large sacrifice in sound quality though if I do decide to use the set as the center channel. So I guess my question is, has anyone set up a full surround system using the set as the dedicated center channel, and how was the sound quality from the TV as the center?

Thanks in advance!
post #22 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRizzman View Post

Hi all -

Can anyone comment (RoadRunner?) on the feasibility of using the TV speaker as a center channel in a 5.1 surround setup? I have a 5.1 THX set of speakers (M&K 750THX) that has a matched center channel, but I love the idea of not needing to set up a shelf above the set for the M&K center channel. I do not want to make a large sacrifice in sound quality though if I do decide to use the set as the center channel. So I guess my question is, has anyone set up a full surround system using the set as the dedicated center channel, and how was the sound quality from the TV as the center?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't heard the JVC's speakers, but the chances that using the tv as the center instead of a matched M & K center won't entail a significant drop in quality are nil. What happens when you want to play a cd through your sound system and you feel like blasting the William Tell Overture or Thin Lizzy? Not a good idea! You can put the M & K below the set and tilt it up slightly. It may not be as great as your current setup but it will beat the dickens out of using the tv speakers!

Go Duke !
post #23 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 12:09 PM

Great info guys! I was just out looking at the Sony SXRDs to compare to this new set from JVC. Very agressive pricing on these IMHO compared to the Sony.
Any comment on how this set compares to the older JVC 720P models? Or even the last gen JVC that didn't accept true 1080P on HDMI?
I may be purchasing within a week as my current set has died and I'm waiting on the repair estimate to decide on FIX or buy new. (Current set is a Toshiba 57" Cinema Series RPTV CRT).

Also, how is the visible grain/texture from the screen compared to other sets? I have always seen this as an issue and I'm interested in any improvements JVC has made since the last models that were 1080P. That was their only negative to me.

Thanks for all the great info!
post #24 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

I haven't heard the JVC's speakers, but the chances that using the tv as the center instead of a matched M & K center won't entail a significant drop in quality are nil. What happens when you want to play a cd through your sound system and you feel like blasting the William Tell Overture or Thin Lizzy? Not a good idea! You can put the M & K below the set and tilt it up slightly. It may not be as great as your current setup but it will beat the dickens out of using the tv speakers!

That's one that only an A/B comparison will do. I do not have a preexisting separate center channel speaker to do that comparison on. One note though. Once enabled as a center channel speaker, the center channel speaker has separate volume control from the standard setup.

Columbia SC
post #25 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

vga input

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembly View Post

in the 'pre-owners' thread for the hd-xxFx97 there was a question on max resolution for vga input. you wouldnt happen to know the answer?
Thank you,
--Wembly

The following Resolutions are supported on the D-SUB PC IN:

640 x 480 (VGA)
Vertical Frequency 60.6 Hz Horizontal Reequency 31.5 Hz

or

1024 x 768 (XGA)
Vertical Frequency 60.6 Hz Horizontal Reequency 48.4 Hz

These are the only Resolutions that are supported.

Apple Macintosh is not supported.

Columbia SC
post #26 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post

FC97 serise 56" 61" Black Cabinet Black bezel straight speaker grille w/10cm round speakers (see HD-70FH97 picture for detail*) No PC input, no RS232C input, no center channel input .Has A.T.C. tone correction instead of Voice Enhancement feature

FH97 56" 61" 70" Black Cabinet Black bezel, quarter round illuminated JVC logo on speaker grille w/12.5cm oval speakers 56" and 61" only(see HD-56FH97 picture for detail*) Black Cabinet Black bezel straight speaker grille w/10cm round speakers 70" only (see HD-70FH97 picture for detail*) PC input, RS232C input, center channel input, Has Voice Enhancement feature
instead of A.T.C. tone correction, Gold plated connectors.

FN97 56" 61" 70" Black Cabinet Silver bezel, quarter round illuminated JVC logo on speaker grille w/12.5cm oval speakers (see HD-56FN97 picture for detail*) PC input, no RS232C input, Center channel input, Has Voice Enhancement feature
instead of A.T.C. tone correction.

In short (relationship to the mainstream FN97 series):

The FC deletes the PC input and center channel input, different speakers and sound managemet feature, All black cabinet.

The more expensive FH97 series adds a RS232C input, has gold plated connectors, and an all black cabinet. The 70" only shares some cabinet detail and speakers with the FC97 series.

*See JVC website for Photos of different models http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?produ...502&pathId=125

Thanks Road - sounds like FC would be the way to go with a home theater system, but nobody has those yet.
post #27 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohurst View Post

Thanks Road - sounds like FC would be the way to go with a home theater system, but nobody has those yet.

Actually no...or maybe that depends!!! The FC is the only series that does NOT have the center channel input. If you already have 5:1 or 7:1 high quality speakers, then yes the FC will do. If you do not yet have a high quality center channel speaker, or just do not have a good location for one, then the FN or FH are a real solution for you.

NOTE: The center channel feature can be engaged if needed. If not needed, the speakers can be turned off entirely if you already have a good Surround 5:1 or 7:1 system

Columbia SC
post #28 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 05:07 PM

There was speculation in another thread that the FC model may be a Costco model, any updates on that?
post #29 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCavTanker View Post

There was speculation in another thread that the FC model may be a Costco model, any updates on that?

I was told by JVC product specialists that the FN series was a "lower end retailer" model...such as COSTCO, SAMS, BB etc....

Not sure if anything they say is believable...
post #30 of 6628 Old 08-27-2006, 07:01 PM

I went to a BB today to look at the FN97 which was one TV over from an A2000. I did not tweak either set but was sufficiently impressed by the FN that I asked them to run an RF based SD signal. After about 30min of them hooking it up I got to see the SD and I must say that it looked very good, as good as my 15 yr old Sony XBR crt based RPTV in my opinion. My wife was so impressed whe was ready to buy it then and there over the Sony that she thought look red compared to the JVC. I had to drag her off to keep her from getting then because I want either the 61 or 70".
FWIW...

ptwat
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page